Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should AMA Member renewals all be done at the same time?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Should AMA Member renewals all be done at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:36 PM
abel_pranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should AMA Member renewals all be done at the same time?

ORIGINAL: Hossfly (from "Dues" thread that has been closed)
<snip>
Would you want to be a Chartered Club Secretary / Officer and have to each day check to see just who may have an expired AMA license and just who has to be chased down to see if they are current with AMA?
AMA hdqtrs. would love it if they could be as you propose. The computer could just spit out the renewals and save much clerical labor in the renewal phases of the year.
However the clubs would be sinking because those club officers are just modelers that devote a lot of their modeling time to keeping a club running and thus they seldom get to do all the things that those that just show up to fly -- and do nothing else -- get to do. If you want all those goodies/events these officers provide, then do not try to load the club officers with even more administrative work just to satisfy your convenience even more. That goes for all of you that just "WANT to FLY".

Honestly Hoss, the poor overworked club secretary has been coddled to the extent that he has been given control of key elements of AMA policy. Every club member must be an AMA member, because the club secretary couldn't be expected to keep up with workload of verifying everybody's personal liability insurance. Then there is the oft repeated mantra you are humming, that the poor overworked secretary should only have to do it once a year. What's the difference in doing it once a year vs once a month? AMA provides him with a roster of those in the club that are AMA members. Organize said list by month rather than alphabetically. The secretary generally attends a monthly club meeting, and with that simple list knows which club members need to renew that month, and can do his verification in a couple of minutes then and there, for members that have not already mailed him photocopies of their AMA cards. Great big hairy deal. The only reason HQ did not do this years ago is caving to the hue and cry from those in the membership that dig in their heels at any thought of deviating from the sacred way things have always been done. "Status Quo Uber Alles!" is the AMA member's creed.

Abel
Old 05-11-2007, 02:23 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Should AMA Member renewals all be done at the same time?

Abel:

I have been club secretary for about five years. I can tell you that the way AMA operates now, is like they don't know that modern computers exist. It is a real pain in the butt to make out their pencilled forms, even once each year. You have to list all the new members, their AMA numbers, their address, and who knows what else. Then you have to do the same thing for all those members that either quit the hobby or didn't renew their AMA membership. On top of that you have to cross out those members that no longer belong to the club for one reason or another on the huge piece of green/white paper, with carbon copy. After that is all sent in and done with, along comes a new member, and you have to get out the forms and do it all over again. It costs me time and money, and I don't like that.

It doesn't stop there. You also have to write in club officers as they change, with their life history, when all that should be required is their name and AMA number. I hate all this extra paperwork!

I long for the day when the AMA will have a computerized list of my club that they send me by E-mail as an attachment, and request that it be updated. Ten minutes at my computer, and it would be completely finished; then I could E-mail it back where they would file it until the next time to update. Let's get rid of all that paper!!! The turn-around would be much quicker, and we would both save a buck in postage to boot.

Now then - to the subject: If they continue to stay with paper, then I would want all memberships to expire as they do now. However, if they were to go to computerized listings, and do the up-dating by E-mail, then I could live with expiration dates more often.

Old 05-11-2007, 02:45 PM
abel_pranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent post, Jim. There can be no progress until the problems that impede it are defined and bounded. You've gone a long way towards providing that needed definition.

Abel
Old 05-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a reason that thread was closed fella's.