Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

This needs to stop gents

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

This needs to stop gents

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default This needs to stop gents

I'm not sure how many times I need to come in here and ask you guys to stop all the childish nonsense, but it is getting a little tiring. How about we close down the whole forum for a while to give you guys a break from each other? It seems to me the best way to stop the fighting is to remove the temptation since nobody can discuss anything without it getting personal.

Now, is that true or can we all act our age and respect each others opinions for a change? Seriously, what would the people you hold dearest in your life think of the way you act online? Or is that how you guys treat others face to face too?

I'll leave this thread open for a while so you can let loose your opinions, then I'll shut it down and we'll either close the AMA Forum for a while or we'll discuss things here the way friends sharing a hobby might discuss them, with passion AND respect.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:30 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default RE: This needs to stop gents

ahh nathan:

in your position, you should be aware:
the room is never big enough for both passion for one's positions, and respect for anothers. when one enters, the other has to leave.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:31 PM
abel_pranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've got the hammer, Nathan, do as you will. What is getting a little a little tiring for me is trying to keep with the forum rules du jour.

Abel
Old 05-11-2007, 10:39 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Hey Nathan, CLOSE IT. The way I see it, most will go to other foums, and then RCU will lose the clout it thinks it has with the AMA, and the next time RCU wants to sell to the AMA they won't get to ask as much. Also, if the idea is for free thought and the sharing of ideas, and we are all suppose to be adults, than there shouldbe no moderation neccessary. If we were all in a room together we would not need our nanny to tell us to be have, this forum is LIFE. People get to speak their mind. CLOSE IT leave it open, I agree with Abel the rules keep canging and the enforcement is selective.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:14 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Just my opinion, but there are those in the forum that make personal attacks in every (or close to it) post. That needs to be stopped, since they don't seem capable of stopping themselves. If you can raise a topic without having your character ripped to shreds, it would be much more enlightening. I'm not a Jerry Springer fan, so the status quo isn't entertaining. Character assassination is a very old method of winning an argument without using substance.

To clarify my feelings, there isn't a reason to modify someones post. If it is inappropriate, delete the entire post. If you find that you are deleting the same persons posts, deal with that person on a more personal level. This is the same basic method used by radio shows, tv news shows, etc. You don't allow personal attacks because it ruins rational discussion.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:27 AM
NorfolkSouthern

I don't think it should be necessary to close this forum. However, I would prefer to see action on those who attack each other personally. When personal attacks are made on a constant basis, then the subject matter drifts away from the forum's intended purpose. I personally feel that this forum was originally to talk about things that affect the hobby in general. Such things include the FAA, safety, costs associated with the hobby, the services hobbyists get for the amount they pay, and so forth.

I am truly sorry to see people thumping each other, when differences should be set aside and a few goals accomplished instead. I am just afraid that with the lack of maturity displayed, governing bodies may eventually have their way and fields will get shut down, one by one. It's happening.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 05-12-2007, 12:41 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I'm just amazed this forum has hung on so long. Why are you keeping it anyway ? The AMA has a site for people that really want answers to questions about the AMA. This is just the RCU editorials. Don't act like CBS and fire Imus for doing his job as a shock jock. Thats all this forum is and has been and ever will be, the shock jocks of RCU vying for attention. High and might ? YOU WANT THIS JUNK !!!!!!
Old 05-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Nathan, if you are going to be a Moderator, you have to do the job. Been there, done that. Go back and look at the threads that have been locked, and you will find common threads and repeat offenders. If I've been out of line, zap my post and PM me why. If I prove unreasonable about changing my ways, lock me out. This particular forum HAS changed from when it started (when it should have been called Bash AMA) to where it is now, where 25% or so of the posts are addressing real issues that do or should concern AMA. The rest of the axe-grinding and mud-slinging posts should be deleted, the individual posters warned, and those that can't reform should be removed. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater is not wise. General "Now CHILDREN, knock it off!" messages don't apply to anyone, while irritating everyone.

Draw the line, shoot the first one that crosses it, and the rest will pay attention.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:30 AM
AussieBrett

I have only recently joined RC Universe and have found the threads enjoyable.BUT only for the purpose of learning more about RC.Some users to talk back and forwards like no one else is watching and it seems they should email each other privately and play ego games.Its important for the members to remember that these threads are suppose to be educational and entertaing.A balance between both is what makes RC such a great site. People talking like childish kids as the MODERATOR has rightly put it turns people off. I say shoot the idiots privately and let the rest of us enjoy a great avenue to learn more about a great hobby.
P.S - if u dont agree with me, u are an idiot (JUST JOKING)...THAT WAS THE ENTERTAINMENT PART..!!!
CHEERS FROM DOWN UNDER!!..AussieBrett
Old 05-12-2007, 08:00 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if I understand this correctly, the moderator is proposing to shut down all of the AMA discourse because the moderator has been unsuccessful controlling the actions of some number of the minority? So rather than punish the offenders, the proposal is to punish the offenders AND EVERYONE ELSE?

Nathan, I sincerely disagree with this proposal.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:20 AM
The Toolman

Just close the AMA forum for good, all they do if fight an bicker on it almost all of the time anyway. They can email the AMA if they have ?'s.

This part of RCU is not needed anyway IMHO. If they wanna leave an go to another forum, good bye!!! They'll be back, don't worry. There's to much good info on the rest of the site to let the AMA part cause trouble constantly.

I won't miss this part of the forum at all. The only reason I duck in here once in awhile, is just to see who's in a fightin match today.

Ronnie-The Toolman
Old 05-12-2007, 08:29 AM
Dr1Driver

Nathan,

Do your job. If a post is personal, or attacks and slanders someone, delete it and send the poster a PM telling them why.

Surely a moderator can tell the difference in "You don't like my ideas?" and "You don't like my ideas, you moron?". Which post stays and which goes?

Define the guidelines and stick to them with an even hand. Most of us get out of hand occasionally, and send posts that probably should be deleted. If I'm bad, slap my hand. However, give me a place to appeal a decision made by only one moderator.

Politics (which the AMA is) at any level is a highly heated forum. We've all seen many country's leaders shouting, throwing things, and even coming to blows over a political subject. Why should it be different at our level here?

Let the forum stay, but control it better. A rule that isn't enforced is a suggestion.

Dr.1
Old 05-12-2007, 10:42 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

Do not shut down this forum.

I spend most of my RCU time in other forums; Scratch Building/CAD, Composite Fabrication/repair, and Pattern in particular. I find these forums very usefull. I have gotten a lot of help in the composite and pattern forums, and have ''payed back in'' by helping people in the CAD forum.

Those other forums are, for the most part, very civil. I feel that part of the reason for that is this forum. It acts as the proverbial ''zinc electrode'' on the hull of RCU's ship of ideas. (full size oceangoing ships have these on the hull to reduce corrosion).

Just as zinc draws corrosive O2 away from the iron, this forum draws the ranting yahoos away from the useful content.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:46 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nathan,

I do use this forum to find out what is going on with the AMA. True, I could just go to the AMA website and read what is posted there, but this forum does allow me (and some others) to be able to read between the lines and see other's take on the subject. I would ask that if you have a member who perpetually uses this forum to antagonize others and stir the pot, then ban that person from RCU. Don't send them to other forums where they can and will ruin them as well. This is sort of a containment room for the miscreants who normally stay here, and this leaves the other forums free of their ill will and insults. There are a few who I never see anywhere but here. This should tell you something about what their interests are. I would counsel against closing this forum.

Bill, AMa 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 05-12-2007, 11:28 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If the moderator is admitting to defeat, then by all means shut it down.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Nathan:

I don't post here very often, only when I think that what I have to say is important to the continuance of AMA in general. I refuse to slam anyone for any reason. There are only about six people that monopolize this forum, and it is those six that are always seemingly getting into pissing contests with one another. I suggest that you keep the forum to discuss valid AMA content, and the first time that any-one slams another in a personal way - that person immediately gets banned from posting here. It won't take long for the forum to reshape itself into useful suggestions and discussions regarding AMA, as was the intent of the forum in the first place. We won't miss those antagonizers, and we just might see others speaking here that were avoiding this forum due to their childish actions.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: franklin_m

So if I understand this correctly, the moderator is proposing to shut down all of the AMA discourse because the moderator has been unsuccessful controlling the actions of some number of the minority? So rather than punish the offenders, the proposal is to punish the offenders AND EVERYONE ELSE?

Nathan, I sincerely disagree with this proposal.
It's the American way. If you don't have the cajones to discipline the offenders just spread it around an punish all.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:47 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

I think we should shut it down for a while. Then when the AMA introduces the e-ticket, then open it back up so we can all celebrate the new millenium, virtually speaking.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Nathan:

I wish you would re-consider and unlock the thread started by Abel Pranger - "Should AMA renewals all be at the same time?". That is an important subject to me, and there was absolutely nothing in that thread that warranted it to be locked. Please unlock - or at least allow a new thread to be started on that subject.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:05 PM
Liberator

Jim has a great point as do all of the previous posters.
I will be the first, middle, and last to admit that I get out of hand on this forum. Typically I hammer someone because started out being shall we say difficult. Frankly that is no good reason. I tend to slam back when slammed and although I try to be funny when doing it, I am sure it offends or worse yet plain old bores most people to death.

The bottom line is that most that post here are guys and it's the way guys argue. Not condoning it, just saying that it happens.

I work a high stress job over hundreds of people and millions of dollars worth of income each year, and this and flying is how I blow off steam. I respect though that many find the exchanges that take place on here offensive. Moving forward I will refrain from laying the wood to anyone and will act my age (decrepit) when posting to this forum.

As a final though, how many think things are gonna get a little boring around here?

Sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:26 PM
John Casey
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

I would like some people to know and understand
that there are lots of issues to have discussions on.....
don't assume that everything I post ........is about SAM.

There are lots of things I post comments about that have nothing to do with SAM.
I don't drag thier name in .........YOU GUYS DO IT.

I could be talking about something or posting an issue thats completely unrelated... and you still attach it to SAM.

There are some folks here that see the name John Casey and connect SAM to
every discussion regardless of the subject I post about.

I got the results I wanted by getting the information out there,
the guys in northern Ca know whats going on now and ....... that was enough.

So please when I post something...... in the future don't ........"ASSUME" .......its related to....SAM

Old 05-12-2007, 01:34 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's a laugh. Just read your posting history.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nathan: Administrator;
"I'll leave this thread open for a while so you can let loose your opinions, then I'll shut it down and we'll either close the AMA Forum for a while or we'll discuss things here the way friends sharing a hobby might discuss them, with passion AND respect."
Mr. Moderator, I do agree with your position and yet I wonder just how and when the rules apply and how and when and to whom you select when to apply them.

To discuss the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) is like discussing any other governing Association. People have to be PASSIONATE FOR and/or AGAINST it or INDIFFERENT about it and all measures in between I am probably the most passionate FOR the Bylaws' stated OBJECTIVES of AMA of anyone in the world, and probably the most passionate against the current ELECTED Leadership's DIRECTIONS of anyone else.

My passion for the objectives of ALL model aeronautics far overrides the "What does AMA do for me mentality." I only think of "What can be done to promote the spread and good of model aviation." Therefore I don't have a lot of patience for self-centered individuals.

Therefore one cannot objectively relate the AMA forum to a building/flying/etc. forum. That is apples and oranges. They are different fruits. Building, flying, etc., are help items, like on the field, in the shop, and/or at club meetings. Discussing AMA programs, procedures, directions is purely what it is today, politics, history, and speculations about tomorrow, and the newbies with the "I want it all about me like mommy and daddy said it was supposed to be."

In two rather recent threads: one I ask for a thread I started to be closed because of it being turned to an off-subject on going feud. It was not closed. Two, I recently pointed out an obvious troll, from a previous long time -- now ex -- AMA member and a moderator not normally assigned to this forum closed the thread. I started another thread pointing this out and such thread was very quickly removed by same moderator. We've exchanged some words, now there is a threat of closure of this forum.
Several that used to be rather vocal here are all gone. One from California, One from San Antonio, one from NYC. Am I next, Nathan?

Old 05-12-2007, 03:45 PM
submikester
My Feedback: (6)

Every once in a while I come into this forum, I used to be a regular but quickly realized it was just a dog fight between folks who refuse to find common ground that is obvious (models).

I would love to see civilized discussion that conforms to the rules of this marketing endeavor. Folks seem to think that this is a place where free speech is king and it is not. It is paid for by someone and they make the rules of conduct. I belong to a few other forum communities but this is the only one where I have limited myself over the last few years to only the "help" forums and remained clear of the "discussion" forums. Having my comments turned against me and actually having my real identity hunted for from those comments has made me weary of contributing. I only speak up now because the opportunity is given.

I do believe is folks cannot abide by the simple rules stated to "resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarass someone" then the forum should be closed for the users are not entitled to it in any way.

On the other hand if they can or if the owners and moderators can apply the rules in a fair and balanced way I believe those who break the rules should be warned fairly and then banned - completely.

Best of luck.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:28 PM
rcmiket

Shut it down. The offenders will never change. This is the only forum I visit(now less and less) were this kinda of childish behavior goes on. Most posting in the other forums have a genuine interest in helping there fellow modelers here its just a waste of space.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.