Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 03:10 PM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!

I checked my email this afternoon and find a new message from the AMA so I read through it and discover that the email is trying to push a credit card on me. My first thought was that it was some creep using the AMA's name to get me to open the link but after going to the AMA website I now know that it is in fact the AMA pushing a US Bank credit card offer on it's members. It's not bad enough that I have to put up with this kind of crap every day in junk mail but now I can expect to get it from the AMA also.[>:][>:][>:]
Old 06-13-2007, 03:23 PM
rcmiket

Default RE: THIS IS UNBELIEVABLE!!!

You act surprised???? Didn't you get the "unsolicited" DVD in the mail a while back? This is nothing new and its going to get worst before it gets better.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:28 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can simply check the box that says do not send advertizing material.

The credit card is a good one. I just signed up and am getting a year 0 intrest.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Dr1Driver

Everyone has their own credit card now-a-days. And you didn't expect the AMA to jump on this bandwagon?

Dr.1

PS 0%, huh? I might sign up for that myself.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:51 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

What...your organization is asking for your support and this is how you react? What is it about AMA members and not supporting your organization???

Never in my life have I ever witnessed so much animosity towards a membership based, not for profit organization THAT IS TRYING TO SUPPORT YOU ... never, ever, never. Has to be something mixed into the glow fuel, has to be.

Have some respect and dignity for god's sake. I mean talk about unbelievable ... this is about as unbelievable as it gets.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:56 PM
rcmiket

Hows that field coming in Central Park? Next time I'm in New York I'm looking forward to flying there.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:42 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not unusal for an organization to push a credit card. The alumni associations of both colleges I attended do it. The professional organization I belong to (IEEE) does it. The ham radio organization it belong to (ARRL) does it. It's an easy way for them to make some money. It doesn't cost the credit card holder anything, and some people like to advertise their hobby/profession/college.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:42 PM
rtn9105
My Feedback: (35)

What...your organization is asking for your support and this is how you react? What is it about AMA members and not supporting your organization???
This organization gets my support every year when I pay my membership dues of which I feel like I'm forced to pay if I want to fly a club field and belong to a club especially since my personal insurance that I choose to have is required to cover me long before the AMA ever steps up to help me.

Never in my life have I ever witnessed so much animosity towards a membership based, not for profit organization THAT IS TRYING TO SUPPORT YOU ... never, ever, never. Has to be something mixed into the glow fuel, has to be.
Are you talking about the same organization that by supporting me they want me to use their credit card so they can make even more money at my exspense? So please explain to me how that's supporting me and how on earth that sounds like NON-PROFIT to you????? And if there's anything mixed in the glow fuel, I'd say it's making you believe what they're shoveling.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:18 PM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: rtn9105
This organization gets my support every year when I pay my membership dues of which I feel like I'm forced to pay if I want to fly a club field and belong to a club especially since my personal insurance that I choose to have is required to cover me long before the AMA ever steps up to help me.

Are you talking about the same organization that by supporting me they want me to use their credit card so they can make even more money at my exspense? So please explain to me how that's supporting me and how on earth that sounds like NON-PROFIT to you????? And if there's anything mixed in the glow fuel, I'd say it's making you believe what they're shoveling.
Well I'll just answer your questions from personal experience. First off I'm an adult man. If I thought or believed, as a man, that anyone was going to force me to join their club or buy their insurance or take money out of my pocket, other then "death and taxes" under any circumstances that I believed was "forced" I would tell them to (....) you know what goes there. As a man whatever decision I make is my decision. This isn't a communist country and you certainly don't need to be forced to belong to anything for any reason. You made the decision, you joined the organization. You want the perks of being in an AMA club, then you have to join. So what is it? You want to be part of something, but you don't think you need to pay anything to take part. You want to belong to a club that isn't AMA, then start one!

In regards to the credit card, try to find a membership based org with 100k members which doesn't have their version of the a membership based Visa card. EAA has their card, NRA has theirs, AAA has theirs and so on and so on. And who gets the money?? The members get the money. How hard is that to understand? Again I've seen this in other orgs and I get their spam and mailers all the time asking me to sign up TO HELP SUPPORT, who cares guy, get over it.

The biggest problem with this org is the people that want to tear it apart. Something you just don't see in other orgs I belong too. Glow fuel, has to be the glow fuel.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:11 PM
woopie
My Feedback: (6)

Thought I might sign up, and do a balance transfer, but then I read what the interest would be if I happened to be late with a payment. I think the interest was almost 40%, can't remember exactly, but it was something a loan shark would be proud of. I was dissapointed, after opening the AMA credit card invatation, as there was no sample credit card. Those cards, and I have lots of them, make good glue spreaders.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:33 PM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: STLPilot
Well I'll just answer your questions from personal experience. First off I'm an adult man. If I thought or believed, as a man, that anyone was going to force me to join their club or buy their insurance or take money out of my pocket, other then "death and taxes" under any circumstances that I believed was "forced" I would tell them to (....) you know what goes there. As a man whatever decision I make is my decision.
I think what he means is to join any flying club you MUST be an AMA member. So basically you have no choice or don't join. If you don't join you are stricken to odd fields that may or may not have people present.

So, in a nut shell, most ppl are FORCED to become members of AMA when joining a club. I suppose you could join the club and not be an AMA member, but then you'd just be the water boy.

On the other hand, I am not an AMA member and fly wherever I please. I will be joining a club shortly, but alas, I HAVE to be am AMA member to fly AND I have to pay $100 a year in dues AND I have to pay $7 every time I enter the park to fly at the field. Here I am flying whenever I want for free, why didn't I think about joining that club earlier?

So yes, we are forced to join AMA or we can hang em up and go home.

As for the CC add, who cares.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:52 PM
STLPilot

Sorry but there is never force, I mean come on, are we children here? You make a decision to join a club, never forced. That's like saying your're forced to pay $XX to join the YMCA. It's true you have to pay to be a member of the YMCA, or you could go for a jog around your neighborhood instead. But whose holding the gun forcing anyone to join? There is a difference between force and a man making a decision, a big one.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:58 PM
[]TEX[]

Sorry but there is never force, I mean come on, are we children here? You make a decision to join a club, never forced. That's like saying your're forced to pay $XX to join the YMCA. It's true you have to pay to be a member of the YMCA, or you could go for a jog around your neighborhood instead. But whose holding the gun forcing anyone to join? There is a difference between force and a man making a decision, a big one.
You are missing the point...

It is our choice to join any club, of course that is true. If you want to fly, though, you HAVE to be an AMA member.

I'll still listen to you though. Find me a club where you can join and fly without being an AMA member.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:07 PM
STLPilot

Right like you have to be a member of Bally's to use Bally's. I can't use the YMCA, because I decided to use Bally's even though there are 6x more YMCA's then Bally's. I made the choice.

As far as the AMA being top dog in the chartered club business, well in one hand you feel forced, but do you blame the AMA for being the #1 provider of RC club chartering services or something? As far as finding a club to fly, well a club is a group of people. Call your friends, then call a local high school and ask if you can use their field when nobody is using it, see what they say. You just started your own club. Try the same thing in your local park. I know a lot of people "think" you can't fly in your local park until you take the time to ask them.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:14 PM
[]TEX[]

Right like you have to be a member of Bally's to use Bally's. I can't use the YMCA, because I decided to use Bally's even though there are 6x more YMCA's then Bally's. I made the choice.

As far as the AMA being top dog in the chartered club business, well in one hand you feel forced, but do you blame the AMA for being the #1 provider of RC club chartering services or something? As far as finding a club to fly, well a club is a group of people. Call your friends, then call a local high school and ask if you can use their field when nobody is using it, see what they say. You just started your own club. Try the same thing in your local park. I know a lot of people "think" you can't fly in your local park until you take the time to ask them.
Your reference to Bally's is different than what we are talking about here. You are correct that to use Bally's you must pay the fee. To make it an even argument, how would you feel after you paid the fee to join Bally's, then they say the only way you can work out and excersize is to join they're insurance program.

As for the school field, I already do that and yes, there are a bunch of us that fly together clubless and not AMA members.

Maybe "FORCED" is not the right word to use here.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:20 PM
rcmiket

"Hows that field coming in Central Park? Next time I'm in New York I'm looking forward to flying there."

Care to respond on this?
Old 06-13-2007, 08:06 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: []TEX[]

I'll still listen to you though. Find me a club where you can join and fly without being an AMA member.
There must be a reason! You could always start one.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:12 PM
STLPilot

Your reference to Bally's is different than what we are talking about here. You are correct that to use Bally's you must pay the fee. To make it an even argument, how would you feel after you paid the fee to join Bally's, then they say the only way you can work out and excersize is to join they're insurance program.
OK then how would you like to be able to join and pay for a Bally's membership and be able to use the YMCA at no extra charge. Last time I checked you are covered for flying at AMA chartered club sites and non AMA chartered club sites. And last time I checked the AMA gives you access to plenty of information before you sign up. Again don't blame the AMA for being the best at what they do.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:21 PM
Dr1Driver

Aren't we a little off topic here, people? How about everyone lightens up on everyone else. Some people join the AMA and an AMA chartered club freely, and enjoy it. Some do not wish to join and find non-chartered clubs and fields to fly. To each their own. The AMA and its supporters are neither 100% right or wrong, and neither is the other side. Can't we just agree to disagree without people who are living in glass houses throwing stones?

Dr.1
Old 06-13-2007, 09:04 PM
decay

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

"Hows that field coming in Central Park? Next time I'm in New York I'm looking forward to flying there."

Care to respond on this?
How's a field in Central Park gonna work? Seems to me thugs would take your TX & planes and
pawn em for a buck or two. NYC is crazy, I kinda feel sorry for people living there.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:23 PM
JUGFLIER

Get the Card and buy tha CRAP outta dose FOAM WINGS!!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rtn9105

I checked my email this afternoon and find a new message from the AMA so I read through it and discover that the email is trying to push a credit card on me. My first thought was that it was some creep using the AMA's name to get me to open the link but after going to the AMA website I now know that it is in fact the AMA pushing a US Bank credit card offer on it's members. It's not bad enough that I have to put up with this kind of crap every day in junk mail but now I can expect to get it from the AMA also.[>:][>:][>:]
Do you really think AMA is "pushing" you? Not a day goes by that i don't get at least a couple snail mail and usually a half dozen or so "PUSHES" from someone, some company, politicians, organizations I support / don't support, and offers of large amounts of credit. Most simply get dumped right in the trash.
I scan through the email Spam Folder, and every so often I click "Not Spam" however 99.9% are spam and then I click the "Delete All."
You can do the same. AMA is providing a service. You are the person that makes the decision whether you want the service. I do not subscribe to AMA's Credit Card service. When the notice comes every so often -- delete or trash and it's over with. NBFD.
AMA has some real elephants to worry about. These small ants are not worth your grief.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:46 AM
budpro

I get new credit card proposals at least twice a month from banks
I never heard of, weird names, with unbelievable interest rates,
forty buck late fees, I throw them out, BUT… It’s a very big
business, so why not AMA jump on the band wagon.

Unbelievable…how expensive this r/c planes etc. hobby is, and
it’s very hard for people who don’t have extra money. I’m in it,
mainly, because I can’t think of the other crap in my life, when
I’m up flying, so it’s worth it.

You are all waiting for this…the only problem I see,
….as members we should get a break…low interest rates, low fees,
cash backs, discounts if we use it to pay our dues, or buy from the
AMA web site, all kinds of bennies, etc…..That my friends would
be totally Unbelievable!!!

But that’s unrealistic, pie in the sky stuff, because it just don’t work
that way!! I’m certain the numbers have been run already, and somebody
approved it based on just that, PROFIT, anything lower, then why do it?

So, another chance “CHOICE” to support AMA, “one for the team”, just
it out…and keep flying anyway….

Fly high, be safe. Later, bud
Old 06-14-2007, 09:36 AM
b.bixel
My Feedback: (123)

[:-]So what !

There is a key marked "Delete" on your keyboard. I've learned to use mine.

Bart
Old 06-14-2007, 07:22 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: budpro

I throw them out,
Yep...I guess before long I won't bother to open AMA junk mail either...if it has AMA on maybe I should just cicle file it...That will soon be be the SOP for me and many others... I guess. I thought promoting the hobby would insure AMA's claim to fame but...what the ell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.