Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Notice for California AMA clubs

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Notice for California AMA clubs

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:52 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Notice for California AMA clubs

Jim,
You are right and it also points at the fact that AMA has had to initiate the coverage for officers which it is now providing. It only takes one or two disgruntled members of an organization to make the thing fall apart. Before you know it accusations are thrown around, usually with absolutely no merit, things are blown out of proportion and the only people who benefit from the whole mess is a salivating lawyer somewhere who is willing to throw the whole ruckus into the public view. Though most states may have this "law", it would be interesting to see how often it has been used and to what degree it has been implemented. My guess is that you will not find one single R/C club where this law was ever played out nor deemed relevant. By and large, most clubs are social organizations brought about strictly for the enjoyment of their members. It is not a mandatory organization nor one that requires a blood oath to join. When one finds himself not in step with the rest of the group he can usually find somewhere else that is more to his liking. I am constatly amazed at those who want to force others to "play" with them, it is like a schoolyard. I know if I am not wanted somewhere I don't usually feel comfortable trying to go there nor forcing these individuals to accept me.
I have been involved as well in this kind of "he said, she said" schoolyard shenanigans and it will absolutely take any pleasure you have for the hobby and trash it. When it stops becoming fun, its not a hobby anymore.
Tommy
Old 06-13-2007, 02:38 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOl you got one too? Apparently he has no issue personally attcking people in PM's....
To Jug's point that I have never been in John C's situation, you are right and I am smart enough never to be either. Further, I have made myself very well versed in parliamentary procedure and Robert's rules of order. Mainly because local government and my club both use these rules for meetings. this way I am armed with the knowledge needed so I could not be overpowered by an out of control board.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tommy,

Very well put. I personally know people who decided not to be board members just because of some of the reasons you mentioned. My reasons for not continuing to be a board member were different but I believe that the AMA's move to change the wording to provide coverage for officers just shows that they see the need for it. It only takes a little ink for a lawyer (or an individual in small claims) to list not only a club but it's officers in a suit. I don't know about anyone else, but if I was listed in a suit I would seek assistance from someone with the proper training (i.e. spend money) to make sure what was mine was protected. Those who jump to the line that "you're protected already so you don't have to worry", either have the necessary background in law to defend themself or probably don't have anything to loose.

To put things in perspective, the other day I saw a billboard that said "Welcome to California..... the sue you state"............ we used to be the sunshine state, oh well.

Jim Smith
Old 06-13-2007, 05:13 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Skids

To put things in perspective, the other day I saw a billboard that said "Welcome to California..... the sue you state"............ we used to be the sunshine state, oh well.

Jim Smith
Yep... it is ironic that it is insurance that chums the water for the land sharks...
Old 06-13-2007, 08:43 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This thread is going to be closed as the person that started the thread has asked for it to be closed. It has been the policy of RCU, that if the thread originator asks for the thread to be closed then it is. Thanks Dave