Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

The internet and the AMA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

The internet and the AMA

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 07:08 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The internet and the AMA

How many of ya'll actually know those that represent you? How many of ya'll have ever met them? I hadn't until last weekend. I just happened to be at an event this past weekend with the AMA DVP for D-IV, Bliss Teague. I'd never met him, nor had I formulated a valid opinion of him until I actually saw that he isn't the old dude that doesn't really fly or get out of the house much for that matter. Now, while I do not agree with his opinion and am slightly offended by the way he and the AMA is treating the "parkflyers" I did see that he was an active modeler. How much will the AMA change face if folks who are on the internet forums actually doing something cool, like a build thread, or a video start to run for office. I know that if I have some idea of a person, I will tend to vote on what I do know. The key, in my opinion, is actually having a face with the people. I knew only what I read on one page of a magazine. How much more would people actually vote in an election if they knew who they were voting for?

50%
Old 06-22-2007, 08:20 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: The internet and the AMA

I have known Bliss for a good while now and see him at both clubs I am a member of frequently. He has always listened to my questions and answered them in a reasonable and respectful manner. I have also met Tony Stillman, Dave M, and Super Dave B.
All of these guys are vividly aware of what is said in here and who the screen names are...don't worry. They also understand the concept of a vocal negative minority vs a non-vocal satisfied majority.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:03 PM
btoby

just because we are silent, doesnt mean we are satisfied.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:59 PM
SSRCCPREZ

See now, this is where I get confused. If the silent members know that their silence is construed as satisfaction than why be silent? If a person is unsatisfied than why not send a constructive criticism or a mature adult e-mail tothe DVP or place a mature adult phone call? I sat mature and adult because obviousley we all can get a little pissy and immature or hot under the collar at times. So instead of being silent and misconstrued why not be the voice of the people and help the DVP's change what you feel is not working?
I ask this only because I have just run into this in our club. There are a few members who complain about issues to everyone but the very elected officers who can effect change. I am so confused by this. If you do not have the confidence in your elected officers to do the job, why elect them? if you have an issue how do you feel it would be solved if you stay silent? I am asking these questions not to be a wise guy but to try and better understand the logic....
If your child is doing something wrong do you not correct the action, but instead stay silent and hope it changes on it's own?
Old 06-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Bad_Daddy

If you could ever give me a valid reason why I should give a damn, maybe I wouldn't be so silent. All I see is a group of people convincing themselves how significant they are, and chasing their own agendas. The electric and park-flyer advances have given the RC and modeling world a tremendous kick in the pants, but the AMA seems to plod along as slowly as ever, holding fast to the belief that the world needs them. Meanwhile the modeling world moves away, ever faster.

(translation)
The AMA should spend a LOT more energy letting its members (and non-members) know why they should care who represents them, and why that representation is important, or will be, if they ever get on a meaningful course.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:38 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Hmmm... not quite the answer I was expecting, but I can respect your feelings, and I appreciate your candor. I think the best answer I can give is that there is nothing I cansay to "convince" you or anyone to "give a damn". I can olnlyt offer that you cannot expect them to change if they are not hearing in a professional mature manner that change is needed. Past performance will always equal future expectation if you do not speak up.
Today we held a "light wings fly-in" at our field. All electrics, only electrics. This was a District sponsored event and we had a tremendous turn out. Our DVP was there and was his/our AVP's and they made themselves extremely accessible to the throngs of people and talked and listened to the people that were there. I have trust and faith in our DVP and AVP's and am confident that the concerns that they may have heard today will get back to Muncie. Thanks tot he district officers and the AMA we had a great fly-in where a lot of people got to experience first hand the friendship and positive atmosphere of a modeling community at a dedicated site. It is my firm belief that you will get out of the AMA that which you put in.
I feel your frustration Big Daddy and I am truly sorry you feel that way, and I know you are not alone, but you can effect change and aid the AMA in enlightening them to the future of the rc hobby.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:34 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Bad_Daddy

If you could ever give me a valid reason why I should give a damn, maybe I wouldn't be so silent. All I see is a group of people convincing themselves how significant they are, and chasing their own agendas. The electric and park-flyer advances have given the RC and modeling world a tremendous kick in the pants, but the AMA seems to plod along as slowly as ever, holding fast to the belief that the world needs them. Meanwhile the modeling world moves away, ever faster.

(translation)
The AMA should spend a LOT more energy letting its members (and non-members) know why they should care who represents them, and why that representation is important, or will be, if they ever get on a meaningful course.
Bad_Daddy

Well said. I think you are on target. Fire away!
Old 06-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bad_Daddy

Have you not just answered your own question. If you have an interest in that modeling world and you want it to be around for the foreseeable future, then don't you think you just might "....give a damn..." [>:]

(translation)
Those entrenched in the bureaucracy are just fine with things as they are. They have worked long and hard to get entrenched. Therefore, WHY would they ever care to tell you to UN-entrench them?

They definitely have no reason to "....let you know..." If the members are unable to recognize the need for a change, and determine just who the good ol' boys are, and cannot determine just who those are that will make a difference, then it's the membership that has a problem and only the membership can do anything about it. [>:]

Unfortunately, it's the sport of aeromodeling that will suffer and so many just seem to want to help the bureaucracy run it down. Very sad! [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 06-26-2007, 03:56 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Interesting turn here. My point of posting this thread was that if the folks who were running for AMA office, were well known to the modern RC pilot(i.e. thousands of post about RC and NOT the AMA) might start to generate higher election returns as well as get the modern RC pilots active in AMA politics.

50%
Old 06-27-2007, 07:25 PM
rkwbeagle

parkflyers should give a hoot what happends to the ama with out them. the gov. would not let anyone fly any rc planes