Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

R/C a terrorist weapon

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

R/C a terrorist weapon

Old 06-29-2007, 08:23 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: R/C a terrorist weapon

ORIGINAL: NorfolkSouthern

Or worse yet, put restrictions on transmitters and receivers. It's entirely possible, because without a crystal there's no flying except for control-line and free-flight. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be many folks who want to talk about this. I am sure they would rather it stay in the closet. As I have said before, however, the problem is not going to go away. There will always be somebody worrying about issues like this. There are many more articles and writings related to security and this hobby than just that one blurb from the media you brought up. For now, most of that is all under the surface. We all know that magma expands when it gets hot, even though it's not apparent where we are standing. When it gets flowing and we're in its path, then it's too late to evacuate.

NorfolkSouthern
Why not close the US Borders to everyone? If you are not a citizen, stay the H##L out. Enforce the laws that are already on the books, and don't make life so complicated by enacting new laws with no teeth to them. Them's my opinions, oughta be yours.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 06-29-2007, 08:29 AM
Cryhavoc
My Feedback: (46)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it's the AMA's responisbility too act, just as AOPA does for GA pilots. Failure to act on our behalf, with lobbiest, investigators, consultants and so on would be unthinkable.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:13 AM
rcuman

I agree about getting lobbyists and the like. Just look at the NRA and how they get things done in congress. I am not a gun fan at all, but it seems that if you have a hobby and it is deemed as a security risk then it could easily be outlawed without having a voice in congress. This hobby could go away without so much as a whimper and no one would care except us.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

All we have to do is get ONE Senator with the guts to ammend any such law with the simple fact that car-bombs are much more common, so we should outlaw cars in the US. That would stop the passage cold - and it shouldn't cost more than $100,000 or so to rent a Senator......
Old 06-29-2007, 10:18 AM
rcuman

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

All we have to do is get ONE Senator with the guts to ammend any such law with the simple fact that car-bombs are much more common, so we should outlaw cars in the US. That would stop the passage cold - and it shouldn't cost more than $100,000 or so to rent a Senator......
Great!
Wait a minute here. If the "terrorist" could not get around so easily and he lived near me, then he would bomb my house.
Sorry. I have to look after myself on this one. Do not outlaw cars!!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:29 AM
iron eagel

The important part here is we must get the AMA to respond to the supposed information, that the electronic media is pushing as news. They are trying to make our models to appear as weapons and this is not right, we need to have the AMA counter this type of yellow journalism.
Ken is right we have to keep this related to the AMA.
Keeping with that what we need the AMA to do now is show the general public that we are not a terrorist threat.

We need to keep this focused!
And we need to get the AMA to respond to the crap they are trying to present as "news".
Old 06-29-2007, 10:52 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Just a reply to the thread itself...

This hobby has absolutely nothing to do with terrorist activity.

RPVs is an unnecessary complication to those with the resolve to pilot a full scale aircraft and deliver it to the target.

Our discussion, like this, in venues like this, may only provide fodder for those that wish to control every aspect of human action.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:58 AM
00airman

I have a theory but no evidence to back it up. I live in Lodi Ca. Do you guys remember the terrorist that were living here. Heres part of an article

LODI, California (CNN) -- Authorities said Wednesday they believe a father and son arrested in this quaint northern California community were involved in a larger al Qaeda plan to carry out jihad, or holy war, against the United States.

"We believe through our investigation that various individuals connected to al Qaeda have been operating in the Lodi area in various capacities," FBI special agent in charge Keith Slotter told reporters.

He said those included "individuals who have received terrorist training abroad, with the specific intent to initiate a terrorist attack in the United States and to harm Americans and our institutions."

Heres a link to our newspaper and pictures http://www.lodinews.com/photos/terrorism/
Heres a link to another article[link]http://www.ktvu.com/news/4618722/detail.html[/link]

Well our club Tokay Radio Controlled Modelers lost our flying field here in Lodi due to parks and rec reasons, they owned the land, legit. So we built a new field still within our county in the country on a farmers land. So we were flying without a problem for a while when all of a sudden we get an notice and order to abate.

our club, at the bottom theres a link says San Joaquin County check it out[link=http://www.trcm-lodi.org/]trcm[/link]

The Delta Valley Modelers new airfield they just built has been shutdown permanently. They are in San Joaquin County also, right next door in Stockton. Dont know of the official reason.

So after reading this thread, it seems to me that because of the terrorist activity in and around Lodi, they decided to shutdown our airfields to prevent them from being accessed by terrorist. I might be wrong. And i am out of the loop since i havent been a member of TRCM in awhile. But it does seem somebody's going out of there way to keep us from flying.

If this is the case then TRCM's new field will never reopen, which leaves all of us local modelers with nowhere to enjoy our models, less of going to another club like in Sacramento which is an hour away.

Tell me what you think, is there any current members of TRCM on here that can chime in on my theory.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:03 PM
iron eagel

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

RPVs is an unnecessary complication to those with the resolve to pilot a full scale aircraft and deliver it to the target.

Our discussion, like this, in venues like this, may only provide fodder for those that wish to control every aspect of human action.
Littlecrankshaft
You have missed the point of this thread, it was started due to a tv stations production which claimed that our models could be used as terrorist weapons. Those who have posted here are concerned that such an attempt to use our hobby by the electronic media is wrong and should be addressed. You may want to put your head in the sand and ignore the problem but it wont go away it will get worse, and may result in more regulation or perhaps a ban to our rc activities.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a lawyer! Better yet get the AMA to get a lawyer. What statute did they use to close the airfield? This was the farmers private property, what right did the county have over what he does with the farm? Did he violate noise laws? Does the county have laws on airspace use? So what was it, hmmm?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:16 PM
Sport_Pilot

I guess that it went right over your head that they thought of this all of there own without reading these threads. In fact if they had they probably would put out such a stupid article!
Old 06-29-2007, 12:20 PM
00airman

Youre right this was private property, and i dont think noise was a problem as theres no neighbors for quite a ways around. I think there calling it a permit problem RIGHT NOW, dont know why you need permits, private property, but probably because it is a pubic access place or something.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:28 PM
Sport_Pilot

I found the following from the last posted TCRM news letter.

Club members need to be aware Club members need to be aware not to get
into a confrontation with the Rancher, but refer him
to talk to Ken Robbers or Brian Brazil.

So I guess maybe its closed because someone did not heed the warning?
Old 06-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cryhavoc

I believe it's the AMA's responisbility too act, just as AOPA does for GA pilots. Failure to act on our behalf, with lobbiest, investigators, consultants and so on would be unthinkable.
For you and the others posting here about AMA's responsibility: AMA is simply an educational non-profit organization. It is prohibited by such organization ( IRC 501 (c) (3) ) against the practice of "Lobby".

I know that EAA is, and maybe AOPA -- I have not checked it out -- but EAA has at least two Non-Profit units while the main EAA is a straight Corporation that CAN and DOES lobby for its membership.

That is one of the reasons that I have, in this forum, asked you people to nominate me for President of the AMA for the next 3 year term. However you people simply will not submit those nominations which must be in AMA Headquarters by July 13.
It would take a considerable number for me to get on that ballot. An adequate number has not yet arrived.

I will get the ball rolling to reorganize AMA into that which CAN go before the legislators and present the model aviator's case, while maintaining an IRC 501 (c) (3) unit.

You have the opportunity to accomplish a new direction for AMA. If you don't, then whatever comes your way will be what you get. NOT ONE, of those good-ol-boys standing in line for that ballot spot, has ever suggested that AMA be positioned to flex its muscle. Again the ball is in YOUR court, and everything here pertains to the Academy of Model Aeronautics and their lack of protecting a sport that could easily be outlawed, because the followers simply don't really care to stand up and be counted. Very SAD! [:@]
Old 06-29-2007, 01:27 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hossfly
It is prohibited by such organization ( IRC 501 (c) (3) ) against the practice of "Lobby".
A little clarification here on this. According to documents available on the IRS website, [link]http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-tege/eotopicp97.pdf[/link] , it's not prohibited for non-profits to lobby, but there are guidelines that they must follow:

The first regime, which applies to IRC 501(c)(3) public charities, permits these
organizations to lobby so long as they do not devote a substantial part” of their activities to
attempting to influence legislation.
This system has two subsets, which employ different tests
of substantiality. The older, enacted in 1934, applies facts and circumstances criteria to
determine substantial part.” The newer was introduced in 1976, by the enactment of
IRC 501(h) and IRC 4911. IRC 501(h) provides that certain public charities may make an
election and have their lobbying activities governed by expenditure tests in lieu of being subject
to the IRC 501(c)(3) substantial part” test. If the expenditure limits are exceeded, a tax under
IRC 4911 will be imposed or, if the limits are exceeded by 150 percent over a defined period,
exempt status will be lost. The tests are discussed in Parts 2 and 3.

The second regime applies to IRC 501(c)(3) private foundations. Under this regime, any
expenditures incurred for lobbying activities are treated as taxable expenditures under
IRC 4945(d)(1) and subject to the tax imposed by IRC 4945(a). Part 4 discusses this topic.
Ken
Old 06-29-2007, 01:45 PM
Sport_Pilot

I don't think lobbying for one club to reopen is even close to being substantial. Even lobbying Senator Schumer and others about our plight would not be substantial. In fact the AMA has lobbied FOR MORE REGULATIONS! IMO neither Dave Brown nor Horrace Cain is right for the job. Horrace is probably the lesser of two evils, but won't get any work done because he won't get along.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:14 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: iron eagel

Littlecrankshaft
You have missed the point of this thread, it was started due to a tv stations production which claimed that our models could be used as terrorist weapons. Those who have posted here are concerned that such an attempt to use our hobby by the electronic media is wrong and should be addressed. You may want to put your head in the sand and ignore the problem but it wont go away it will get worse, and may result in more regulation or perhaps a ban to our rc activities.
Actually, I haven't missed the point at all but I think maybe you and others may have.

Nothing is to be gained by perpetually reiterating "models could be used as terrorist weapons". To continue the debate of whether such claims are valid or not serves no practical benefit. What we say here can and will be used against us...

We bring validation to the concerns simply by discussing it. Sometimes it is best simply not to fuel speculation. This is one of those times.

We need to be vigilante not to allow those that wish to strip our freedoms from having the power to do so…for not only our hobby but for much more than that… We need to focus on a much higher level…the answers do not exist here or with this discussion…no matter what you would like to believe.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:15 PM
00airman

No its closed because of the county, that was just a warning not to piss off the rancher who allows us to fly on his property.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: iron eagel

Littlecrankshaft
Actually, I haven't missed the point at all but I think maybe you and others may have.

Nothing is to be gained by perpetually reiterating "models could be used as terrorist weapons". To continue the debate of whether such claims are valid or not serves no practical benefit. What we say here can and will be used against us...

We bring validation to the concerns simply by discussing it. Sometimes it is best simply not to fuel speculation. This is one of those times.

We need to be vigilante not to allow those that wish to strip our freedoms from having the power to do so…for not only our hobby but for much more than that… We need to focus on a much higher level…the answers do not exist here or with this discussion…no matter what you would like to believe.
So you think the military, FBI, the CIA, etc, are stupid and can't figure this out. So if we don't say anything they won't know. Hey if you want to see stupid look in.....Oh never mind![X(]
Old 06-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: jayzer

No its closed because of the county, that was just a warning not to piss off the rancher who allows us to fly on his property.

Ok, but why don't you or the other members know why it is closed? Seems they would have posted that on the web site. Likely the leadership did something stupid they don't want you to know about?
Old 06-29-2007, 03:10 PM
LANNYBOB

the ama needs to stand up and tell these ignorant a holes to leave us hobbists alone. were not the problem, putting your nose in every nations business is the problem. go find something else to do your boring politician brain dead scum bag. r.c. airplanes is not the problem here, you are.... you jack asses in washington d.c.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:19 PM
Cryhavoc
My Feedback: (46)

What I get from the last two posts, is that lobbying is possible within certain guidelines and only one person attempting to get on the ballot has intentions of addressing this/these issues. Perhaps the other candidates should weigh in with their opinions. All that legal speak is great but for us non legal speak people it's as if I just read some stereo installation instructions. Want to clarify, just a little?
Old 06-30-2007, 05:49 AM
fliers1

It's sad, but this hobby doesn't have the same protection that gun owners enjoy. The right to own and operate an RC model plane isn't garanteed, at least from what I know. If they could be technically listed as a firearm (with a launching, rather than firing nature) instead of an aircraft, perhaps then the hobby would stand a better chance of not being excessively regulated, except for the background checks. On the other hand, they would be under the Second Ammendment which is part of the Bill of Rights. As a result, I bet the government wouldn't be any more likely to come after somebody's 1/4 scale Cap 580 than they would my father's bolt-action hunting rifle. Why not have the AMA become a branch of the NRA?

NorfolkSouthern
NRA has a safety in numbers factor, something that the AMA would like to have but doesn't. They tried with the Sign 3 Fly Free Ambassador program, but for reasons only the membership knows, it didn't pan out...yet.
How many celebrities and high government officials own guns, including Dick Cheney and GWB? Imagine if they were hard core RC aeromodelers. Our hobby/sport wouldn't have a thing to worry about.

CCR
Old 06-30-2007, 06:28 AM
Stubborn Mule

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I agree that this a great subject to talk about, and that it does have wide reaching ramifications on our hobby, but I have to ask what this has to do with the AMA? Unless we can tie this discussion to the AMA then I'm going to have to move this thread out to the Clubhouse.

Ken

Well Ken, one could say it does involve the AMA. Assuming of course the AMA actually did its job!

The Mule
Old 06-30-2007, 09:29 AM
Stubborn Mule

ORIGINAL: fliers1

It's sad, but this hobby doesn't have the same protection that gun owners enjoy. The right to own and operate an RC model plane isn't garanteed, at least from what I know. If they could be technically listed as a firearm (with a launching, rather than firing nature) instead of an aircraft, perhaps then the hobby would stand a better chance of not being excessively regulated, except for the background checks. On the other hand, they would be under the Second Ammendment which is part of the Bill of Rights. As a result, I bet the government wouldn't be any more likely to come after somebody's 1/4 scale Cap 580 than they would my father's bolt-action hunting rifle. Why not have the AMA become a branch of the NRA?

NorfolkSouthern
NRA has a safety in numbers factor, something that the AMA would like to have but doesn't. They tried with the Sign 3 Fly Free Ambassador program, but for reasons only the membership knows, it didn't pan out...yet.
How many celebrities and high government officials own guns, including Dick Cheney and GWB? Imagine if they were hard core RC aeromodelers. Our hobby/sport wouldn't have a thing to worry about.

CCR

The AMA is missing yet another boat with this. How many of the UAVs are little more than glorified models? Where are the Army and Marines getting the pilots for these things? They're training the young troops and many are discovering it's harder than it looks! Wouldn't it be nice if the AMA were to cut some kind of deal with DOD? One that would set an official policy, encouraging installation commanders to help local clubs fly in exchange for guidance to the troops in the art of R/C? Could be a win win situation for many clubs. But that would involve a three letter organization coordinating with another three letter organization!

The Mule

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.