Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

International Park Flyers Association

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

International Park Flyers Association

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:24 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: International Park Flyers Association

To the average PFer in the streeet, I think it looks like yet one more bureaucratic attempt to reach into his pockets so he can get nebulous benefits in return. Kind of like selling refrigerators to Eskimos. I realize that there is no single stereo typical PFer out there to base broad statements on, but the PFers that I come into contact with seem to be having a huge amount of fun without anyones' help.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:33 AM
TheHobbyGuy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

To the average PFer in the streeet, I think it looks like yet one more bureaucratic attempt to reach into his pockets so he can get nebulous benefits in return. Kind of like selling refrigerators to Eskimos. I realize that there is no single stereo typical PFer out there to base broad statements on, but the PFers that I come into contact with seem to be having a huge amount of fun without anyones' help.

Hi All,
I been traveling on biz so I have been away from the boards for a bit.

Pigg - I would be the first to agree with you and thats why at the core of all this is that IPPA needs to be an organization of the (to Steal a bit from history) Park Pilots as well as for the Park Pilots. The value that is derived of the organization needs to come from the people, and not just "heres a magazine and some insurance". Many people may still not see any value in it - thats fine. They will still benefit from the work we do with manufacturers and the AMA to advance our segment of the hobby. To have a unified voice that can have a part in the larger picture is not what some people are interested in, all they want to do is fly - and I hope thats what we can help them do.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:41 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hobby Guy, If you see a need and have a vision then go for it. I hope your efforts are rewarded. I don't want to come off as being negative, 25 years ago I thought the internet would flop and thought owning a home computer was a waste of time and money [and I still do ].
Carry on and best wishes, Chuck
Old 09-13-2007, 08:56 PM
TheHobbyGuy

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Hobby Guy, If you see a need and have a vision then go for it. I hope your efforts are rewarded. I don't want to come off as being negative, 25 years ago I thought the internet would flop and thought owning a home computer was a waste of time and money [and I still do ].
Carry on and best wishes, Chuck
Thanks! I did not take your comments negative at all. I think you actually pointed out what a lot of pilots, be they Park Pilots or not think in general. In truth we all would really love to just enjoy our hobby, fly, and have some fun.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:37 AM
mad web tv scientist

TheHobbyGuy, A beautiful thing seems to be happening! Maybe I am waxing overly optimistic as I am famous for doing, but it seems to me like you are enjoying a win/win situation with your Park Flyer work.

With the object being fun and the model enthusiasts who take opposing positions in posts being fun loving souls themselves as this and a number of other threads seem to be trending, your project could easily end up being a winner that will be lots of fun developing no matter how long it might take to make something "useful" happen. Just efforts to make something happen in and of themselves may prove to be useful in the promotion of a really fun "Park Flyer Crusade." I can't help but be excited about the possibilities here!

Question time - I am noticing how easy it is to get into a dive when trying to fly too high/far away, Is this how most soaring pilots get into the kind of trouble that causes wings to fold? I use a lot of carbon fiber reinforcement especially in my wing center sections in hopes that I can avoid such traumatic events.

Most of my crashes happen when I get the plane in an unusual attitude when trying to do outside maneuvers that my modified planes can't quite perform. Fortunately, so far all damage has been repairable. I am a little concerned though about what might happen if I were to lose my wings at high altitude.

pigg, my wife agrees with you, but I still have hopes that pounding on this keyboard might be worth something someday. As you can probably tell your sig has me concerned since I do enjoy flying light airplanes!

madwebtvscientist [sm=lol.gif][sm=cry_smile.gif]

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevancy. Esoteric, "better felt than told modeling" is obsolete, truth is triumphing - there is no escape.
Old 09-15-2007, 07:42 AM
TheHobbyGuy

ORIGINAL: mad web tv scientist

TheHobbyGuy, A beautiful thing seems to be happening! Maybe I am waxing overly optimistic as I am famous for doing, but it seems to me like you are enjoying a win/win situation with your Park Flyer work.

Question time - I am noticing how easy it is to get into a dive when trying to fly too high/far away,..........
Thank you for the support!

I actually have the opposite problem, my planes go into a dive when close to the ground..LOL!..usually at full throttle too..

I am not a soarer (yet) so I would not be the best to give a serious answer, but many here are......

Thanks again for the support!
Old 10-08-2007, 12:00 AM
mad web tv scientist

HobbyGuy, been thinking about your statement concerning soaring. In my experience soaring has seemed to be the safest way to get the feel of R/C flying in my earliest training sessions. Now, of course, I simply enjoy searching for evidence of thermals that I can throttle back to fly circles and lazy eights around in. If I get too high I will sometimes practice some maneuvers on the way down to a "safer" altitude. I do sometimes find it confusing when I try to maneuver much if the plane is too far away.

I am working on lighter, more streamlined modified versions of the EXCEED-RC AB to get the precise performance I need for my particular purposes. I want to be able to fly maneuvers closer to the ground than I feel comfortable doing with my current equipment.

Anyway, maybe such flying would be useful in your particular approach to sharing modeling pleasures. Just a thought since there are so many effective and fun ways to learn how to fly PFs.

The key to victory for modeling is cultural relevancy. Esoteric, "better felt than told modeling" is obsolete, truth is triumphing - there is no escape.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:26 PM
mad web tv scientist

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

P.S. The above statement is my latest attempt to have a post signature. Unfortunately, a red letter announcement continues to say that the system is "down for maintenance." I wonder how much longer this "maintenance" is going to last. Can anybody out there in RCU land help me out here?

Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 PM
mad web tv scientist

combatpigg, If only I had shown a little more respect than I did the last time I addressed you maybe I would not have suffered my latest tragedy. Anyway, I hope the included "cut and pasted" story below might possibly be useful/entertaining for other misguided would be R/C'ers.

[sm=lol.gif] IMPORTANT ACCIPITER BADIUS CONSTRUCTION TIP FOR BEGINNING FLYERS!

This latest AB crash must not be in vain! Although the original thread does a very good job with "wing modification tips" for the stock straight wing, either I missed/forgot vitally important information about the "folded (folding in flight!) polly wing" or the info is simply not there.

On the obviously mistaken conviction that at my current level of piloting "expertise" and the deliberate avoidance of any ridiculous "terminal velocity power dives," the idea of adding significantly extra center wing reinforcement seemed quite unnecessary. BIG MISTAKE!

combatpigg posts a scary e-mail signature warning that says, "if you don't fold one every now and then, you are building too heavy." He obviously knows something about g force that I have not yet quiet been able to grasp.

It was a particularly enjoyable first flight of the day flying my simi symmetrical modified polly wing AB with "partial span flaperons" coupled with the rudder at the rudder servo providing beautiful rolling and maneuvering capability. Using my heavier than normal LiPo battery I was still able to get a very nice "persuasive" outside loop with no trim adjustments after the very first impressive first outside loop performed two days before yesterdays disaster.

It turns out that the thicker airfoil wing panels now being used on the stock straight wing AB have to be "carefully adjusted" using an iron so that the wing tips will not stall at any point during an outside loop to prevent rolling out of the maneuver before it can be completed. The leading edges near the wing tips (on both wing types) have added balsa structure that provides a more blunt leading edge curve for about two (2) inches than the sharper leading edge of the rest of the wing. This may be helping to prevent the undesirable tip stalling tendencies that I have experienced in the past. Both of the modified stock and polly wings have a "few degrees" of "washin" (wing tips warped up) to minimize outside maneuver tip stalling tendencies. Fortunately, normal flight and inside maneuver stability is not compromised - yes, I worried about that, but it looks like I am getting away with this "trim concept."

Okay, so what happened? Well, there was more wind on the fateful day than I had recently been experiencing and the plane seemed to be jumping around a little more than I felt comfortable with, but it was very exciting and I was having a blast when all of a sudden . . . "SNAP!" Pulling out of an unintended dive, the left wing panel folded. Fortunately, with all the rain soaked ground the carbon fiber reinforced fuselage stuck straight down in the mud with damage only to the "innards" of the plane. The modified "shock absorbing" motor mount protected the motor, The LiPo did not catch on fire thanks in part to the foam plastic pad installed in front of the battery. It still read almost eight (8) volts by the the end of the day even though it does look "a little" battered.

So, now that the "therapy of crying about my trauma" on the web is beginning to have a positive effect I will be getting back to repairing, modifying, trimming, and hopefully, safely joyfully practicing for those neat times of modeling promoting demos with new modeling prospects, modeling friends, or just the simple pleasures of relaxing flying in mild weather.

The first included url might be useful/interesting for some historical prospective on the "on going AB saga."

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_62...tm.htm#6248817

Modeling's rendezvous with destiny will surely be unstoppable when something greater than the narcissistic pleasure of an esoteric chosen few is adopted in modeling.

Old 01-25-2008, 04:33 PM
mad web tv scientist

combatpigg, in addition to the info in my last PM (it is nice to be able to enjoy communicating by PMs - this has not always been possible for me at times in the past). I have also finally learned about the disadvantages in wing washin as was discussed in that removed "agenda post" (?) that I sent. I had hoped to possibly pick up a "thermal sniffer" effect at higher altitudes. I might try a "little" less at some time in the future. Before folding the wing for reasons mentioned in the removed post, the washin really seemed to be working. For best stability purposes wings are now adjusted for "zero (0) washout/washin."

Cold weather freezes fingers. Yes, gloves are a possibility. Putting a plastic bag over the transmitter and sticking the antenna out the top with hands inside on the controls works but I don't like either option so if it is not too cold this afternoon I will be soaring into the heavens. Yes, I will also continue to be easy on the stick in pullouts.

Thanks for your modeling tips and wisdom about human nature. Maybe we will be allowed to share more similar adventures with others on the thread rather than being limited to only PMs or e-mail in the future.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Dave ESPI

Any new updates on this ?
Old 07-19-2008, 01:03 PM
KidEpoxy

What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is a'goin on here?

Definition of a Park Flyer – we should look towards a formula and not a set description.
<snip>
We also need to define accepted power plants for the aircraft. We should state that the models do not utilize any combustion engine of any type, etc
I wholely & adamantly will contest to my dieing breath any "park flyer" program that seeks to exlude the very planes that have been flying in parks and schools for decades, such as the Cox049's. Electrics are welcome to join us cox049 at the park, but dont think that small planes in small spaces is a new idea that is just for electrics. Parkflyers have existed without electrics, join them rather than trying to regulate those planes out of flying where they have been.

from madwebtvscientist :
Past successful efforts to control modeling with "negativism" are not going to be allowed in the future
Maybe we could start by removing the NEGATIVISM cast upon cox049s as not being park fliers,
seeing that they have been just that for decades.

I fly .40 sport arfs.
I fly 1/2A glow models.
I fly PPP legal e-models.
I flew GSW Warbird e-foamies.
Why would I join a PF movement that is trying by the most base charter to exclude Cox049s from the very parks they have been flying at for decades? I am not Anti-Electrics, heck, I build fly small electricss.

Why do folks feel the need to cast negativity & exclusion
at the parkie with the cox049/AP061/Norvel074 flying around?
Old 07-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hobby Guy, in my first post, I overlooked one item, and that is where you state, " We also need to define accepted power plants for the aircraft. We should state that the models do not utilize any combustion engine of any type, etc."

Now mind you, I don't support the PPP as presented by AMA, however I do admire those individuals - not the corporate protected "bottom suckers" - that get off center and try to accomplish a new framework, even though they may well be and often are, very much in a minority.

OTOH AMA's PPP is right with you. You may wish to visit and become intimately familiar with the program.
http://www.modelaircraft.org/parkflyer.aspx

In the comparison chart of the FULL vice PPP: Emphasis added.
>>>> "Full AMA: No restrictions on type of aircraft that you fly other than established by the Official AMA National Safety Code
PPP: Can only fly park flyers or quiet-powered models that meet the class definition. Internal-combustion-powered models cannot be flown with this membership" <<<<<<

As far as AMA is concerned their PPP membership does not support internal combustion.

edited due to RCU "reformat"
Old 07-19-2008, 03:09 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is a'goin on here?

Definition of a Park Flyer – we should look towards a formula and not a set description.
<snip>
We also need to define accepted power plants for the aircraft. We should state that the models do not utilize any combustion engine of any type, etc
I wholely & adamantly will contest to my dieing breath any "park flyer" program that seeks to exlude the very planes that have been flying in parks and schools for decades, such as the Cox049's. Electrics are welcome to join us cox049 at the park, but dont think that small planes in small spaces is a new idea that is just for electrics. Parkflyers have existed without electrics, join them rather than trying to regulate those planes out of flying where they have been.

from madwebtvscientist :
Past successful efforts to control modeling with "negativism" are not going to be allowed in the future
Maybe we could start by removing the NEGATIVISM cast upon cox049s as not being park fliers,
seeing that they have been just that for decades.

I fly .40 sport arfs.
I fly 1/2A glow models.
I fly PPP legal e-models.
I flew GSW Warbird e-foamies.
Why would I join a PF movement that is trying by the most base charter to exclude Cox049s from the very parks they have been flying at for decades? I am not Anti-Electrics, heck, I build fly small electricss.

Why do folks feel the need to cast negativity & exclusion
at the parkie with the cox049/AP061/Norvel074 flying around?
Hmmm, let me think for about a half-second. Noise, maybe?
Old 07-19-2008, 11:00 PM
mad web tv scientist

[8D] Dave, thank you for your concern. I gave up on a "real RCU" post signature and have settled on what is included at the end of this post.

I have tried a number of times to communicate certain information on the web but have been "blocked off." The latest blocking phenomena involved my numerous attempts to log on to "Squadron Leader" web site. Three (3) different passwords have been tried but no cigar! I am unable to answer messages that are sent to me, etc.

Given the kinds of things that tend to happen to some of us "free energy" enthusiasts and my obvious agenda as can be seen in the included "post signature" I am thankful just to still be able to enjoy modeling.

I do hope the small IC engines are not outlawed. I have developed AMA recommended 90 db at 9 ft tuned exhaust muffling systems, and have started research on a "supplemental hydrogen system" that is a scaled down version of the "simplified hydrogen reactor system" explained on one of my energy web sites. My plan has been to use my "noisy" engine powered planes as "teaching aids" to attract attention for PFs. My Control-Line stunters can fly in wind that keeps all PFs grounded, so they will never go completely out of style as modeling promoters.

Thanks again,