AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Video scheme

Old 07-05-2007, 04:36 PM
pt40crasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default AMA Video scheme

I recently received a video in the mail, 1st in a series that the AMA is making. The instructions were to keep the video and pay $9 or return it and keep the case for free. Are you kidding me? I paid for my membership to the AMA for specific reasons, namely the ability to fly at my local field. I in no way solicited this 'offer' or the hassle of having to send the thing back, though it came with a return label. Is this really an efficient use of the club's resources? I thought this was very lame and if I get more of these things in the mail, I'll cancel my membership and fly off the very abundant rural roads and fields where I live. This is a tactic BMG music and others used in the '80's-'90's.

Unordered Merchandise from findlaw.com

It is a violation of the Federal Trade Commission Act to send unordered merchandise through the mail unless it is a free sample marked as such or is sent by a charitable organization asking for, but not requiring, a contribution. Most states treat unordered merchandise as a gift. Persons sending unordered merchandise through the mail are prohibited from demanding payment, and you have the right to keep the goods or to dispose of the goods in any manner you wish. Moreover, billing for unordered merchandise may constitute mail fraud and/or misrepresentation.

Federal law also protects you if you accidentally order merchandise (you sign your name to accept receipt of samples of a product or you accept an unwanted package because of misleading language). You can return it without charge.

If you receive unordered merchandise that you find offensive or especially annoying, contact your local postmaster, the chief postal inspector in Washington, D.C., or the Federal Trade Commission in Washington, D.C. The FTC has nationwide Jurisdiction over deceptive, unfair marketing practices. However, it does not usually get involved in individual disputes or "annoyance mail." The postal service is the appropriate agency to contact if the material you are receiving is explicitly sexual and sent to minors or if it is not so labeled.

In situations involving defective merchandise where there is a pattern of complaints about a company, the FTC can intercede to compel the return of all customers' money or fulfillment of their orders. It is also a good idea to contact your local Better Business Bureau to seek redress.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: AMA Video scheme

You are going to cancel a membership because they sent you unsolicited mail? I'd like to see your reaction when they invite you to sign up for the AMA credit card.

Since apparently, you've been living under a rock for the last few months, you can keep the first DVD, based on the same "laws" you quoted on your post. If you want to keep receiveing the series, you pay the bill and the next one will show up next month.

It was even published in the AMA magazine a few months ago. But apparently, you see no benefit on reading the magazine or belonging to the organization in the first place.

I have up till no. 8 and 3 special events. Pretty interesting given the fact that I organize mall shows, and similar events.

Again, I continue to question the purpose of the AMA forum on this site.

Rafael
Old 07-05-2007, 05:19 PM
pt40crasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As I stated before, I don't belong to the AMA for the magazines, shiny trinkets, credit cards or clothing selection. I belong to the organization solely for the ability to fly at the field, which I pay separate dues for and there is nothing wrong with that. I don't need AMA cra pmail added to the stacks that show in my mailbox. I'm not sure this marketing campaign is an efficient use of my membership dues and it is definitely an annoyance. The magazine would be a great place to advertise these videos so that those that wanted them could order them. And this was unsolicited merchandise not mail. I'm over it. I was disappointed to see this tactic used by the AMA and if I can find the letter, I'll scan it. It was not worded as you say above.
Old 07-05-2007, 05:32 PM
gunfighter
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is a place for those without knowledge of a subject to inform others of their lack of knowledge and inteligence!

It is also a place for people to tear down the only national organization they have which is interested in protecting the sport we all enjoy! It is not a perfect organization, but it is all we have.

The rules say we can not flame an individual, but allow flaming and derogatory comments regarding our national organization!

Did I miss any thing?

Chuck Waller
Canyon Lake, TX.
AMA 6470 CD
Old 07-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Jim Thomerson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't have a DVD player and don't care for unsolicited merchandice. I marked the package REFUSED, and put it back in the mailbox from which it disappeared. I later got a dunning letter from AMA asking for payment. I called the number given and talked with a helpful person in the AMA LIBRARY. Took care of that. One point: the advertising says this is being done by an outside company and will not cost the AMA one dime. Now, if the service is being done from a company outside AMA, why is an AMA employee, paid by our dues, spending our dollars talking to disgruntled AMA members about it?
Old 07-05-2007, 06:06 PM
pt40crasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gunfighter

It is a place for those without knowledge of a subject to inform others of their lack of knowledge and inteligence!

It is also a place for people to tear down the only national organization they have which is interested in protecting the sport we all enjoy! It is not a perfect organization, but it is all we have.

The rules say we can not flame an individual, but allow flaming and derogatory comments regarding our national organization!

Did I miss any thing?

Chuck Waller
Canyon Lake, TX.
AMA 6470 CD
Huh?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:13 PM
carwood444

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You know sometimes I can not believe some of the whiney cry babies that post on this forum. If you don't like the AMA go fly off your abundate country roads. Do you think that a threat to cancel your AMA membership has anyone in Muncie shaking in their shoes? Probably not. They are not doing anything different than any other organization does, trying to raise money.

If people that gripe about the AMA dues all the time would spend a little more effort in trying to get Uncle Sam to lower our taxes we would all be in better shape.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:35 PM
pt40crasher

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The AMA is fine. The marketing ploy is not. The only way I can act against the AMA or anyone else's policies/actions that I don't like is with my wallet. People in Muncie may not worry about 1 person not renewing membership, but I guarantee I'm not the only person who found their strategy irritating. This is just not a classy way to market your stuff.

I'm desperately sorry you have to pay taxes.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:12 AM
Fredsterman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I found the same DVD in my mail today. I read the attached envelope describing the terms and conditions of the DVD. Looked at the DVD. It was badly scratched . My home DVD player wouldn't play it[] But my computers' drive did.
It was full of old media and bad advice. I didn't like it.
Not a problem, send the dvd back, check the box that says "Don't send me anymore"[8D]
Why make a mountain out of a molehill[]

I'd bet this person is not the nicest guy at the field either

Old 07-06-2007, 06:35 AM
budpro

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I received the DVD package last week. I read the letter, and the following ending statement in bold print: Because you didn’t ask for this special DVD, you don’t have to participate or send it back and you could consider it a free gift.

My choices:
A. Keep everything, and do nothing….
B. Keep everything, and return just the DVD postage free, with the reply
form checked, “Send no further DVD’s”.
C. Keep everything, and send the AMA $9.00, with the reply form checked,
“I’d like to preview other DVD selections in the library.”

I just rejoined AMA, mainly because I want to fly at local club fields, talk and associate face to face with others, enjoying the fellowship and all the activities available. It was fun before, and I look forward to it again.

I watched the DVD and found it very informative and was amazed at the jets, and how far this hobby has grown. I picked C, and will send the 9 bucks, and look forward to the next DVD.

You all fly high, be safe, later Budpro.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:45 PM
Stubborn Mule

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: gunfighter

Did I miss any thing?

Chuck Waller
Canyon Lake, TX.
AMA 6470 CD

Because it is all we have might explain why so many choose to go without!
Perhaps the AMA should contemplate that before they send out any more unsolicited junk!

The Mule
Old 07-06-2007, 03:36 PM
Jim Thomerson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One hopes that what the AMA is trying to do is elicit the reaction detailed above by Budpro. And, Hey, I will give the AMA credit for every member who found the DVD(s) interesting and useful.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Stubborn Mule

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

One hopes that what the AMA is trying to do is elicit the reaction detailed above by Budpro. And, Hey, I will give the AMA credit for every member who found the DVD(s) interesting and useful.

Some no doubt do find it interesting and usefull. But based on the many on-line dicussions about it, a fair number find it akin to junk mail! An annoyance! An invasion of privacy and even a breach of confidence!

It has been stated time and again that the AMA has not spent any money on this. But juding by some of the threads discussing it, they have generated ill-will with it. Now the question to be answered is whether or not the endorsements by the Budpro's out there are worth the ill-will generated.

I'd venture to say no!

The EC in particular as well as others in Muncie might want to re-read the vision and mission statements of the AMA. Think long and hard about what they say and then consider how best to serve the members in particular and the hobby in general!

The Mule
Old 07-07-2007, 04:21 PM
SPLIT S

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd like to see the DVD - wondering where mine is ??? I'd rather find something pertaining to rc airplanes in my mailbox anyday over the volumes of true junk ( in my opinion ) that never cease to end. If I got as upset as some do everytime they receive something in the mail that they didn't ask for or for whatever reason don't want I would be spending all my free time with the Better Business Bureau rather than flying or building as some have suggested. It never ceases to amaze me how some get so besides themselves over such trivial stuff on this forum. You can't please everyone all the time - and some it seems you can't please at all....

Dan
Old 07-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was thrilled. I got a DVD and didn't have to pay for it
I wouldn't have bought it off a shelf in a store, and I didn't send them money for this one, but if the AMA wants to keep sending me free stuff I'll keep accepting it.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:58 PM
IL2windhawk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I also recieved this free DVD, and like others who posted here,
I was initally confused by the wording of the invoices that followed.
The issue is that the wording is deliberately intended to confuse the
reader into thinking that they are deliquent in their payment.

First, you get the DVD and medallion in the box with no accompanying
description of what it is, and you think "cool, a free DVD". Then, after
you break the shrink wrap and watch it a few times, an invoice arrives
and you think, "Crap, i didn't realize I had to pay for it, and now it's a
used DVD. Guess I can't return it so I'll just send in the 9 bucks."

The invoice has the phrases:
"we were suprised when your name came up on the "No Response" list"
"please send your member reply form and payment in the enclosed envelop, or return the DVD"
"If you have already mailed your payment or returned the DVD - thank you - we must have crossed in the mail"

Which naturally lends the reader to think that they are overdue for payment.

It's not until the fourth paragraph (2/3rds down the page) that you read the
words "because you didn't ask for this special DVD, you don't have to
participate or send it back and you could consider it as a free gift". Granted,
the words are there telling you its a free gift, but by the time you get to them,
you've read all about how you're late on your payment, and you begin to
wonder if you've mistunderstood something about this "free gift".

The problem with this scheme is that it targets honest (if not legal-savy)
people who just want to do the right thing and pay their bills on time.

This sort of tactic can quite often be found in your everyday junk mail,
but like pt40crasher, I was also bothered that an organization that I pay
yearly dues to would try to market products to me in what i consider to be
a dishonest practice. This sort of marketing weakens support for the AMA
at a time when it needs increased support. I genuinely have less trust in
the AMA as a result of this scheme.

My bottom line
The free DVD is wonderful, and I'm sure the other volumes are of the
same quality, but I was immediately turned off by the offer as a matter
of principle. If instead, they would have approached me with a more
straight-forward offer to accompany the DVD, I would have been much
more inclined to buy more of them based on the quality of the first DVD.

Why just not send the free DVD, then just make the simple point that
"this one is yours to keep free. And included is our catalogue if you want
to buy more of them". That's the standard approach to sell things right?

Why would Tom Schwyn, Marketing Director for AMA, try instead to sell
these DVDs in sucha confusing and convulted way? The answer is clear:
he was was trying to intentionally confuse AMA members into thinking that
they were wrongfully in debt to the non-profit organization that
protects their sport. Any decent member under that impression would
of course do the right thing.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:25 PM
Tired Old Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh good Gawd. Is there anything the AMA does that people won't complain about? If they gave everyone back their membership fees and stopped doing anything at all people would still complain.

Ity's amazing how many people think an entity can keep it's doors open with no incoming revenue, and even more that think that costs and prices are always stable.

AMA, give everyone a dues increase that will offset the revenue your attempting to make via credit card associations and videos. If they are going to bi**h, make one worth listening to.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:35 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I for one would prefer to pay my dues, even if they were increased, and dispense with the side show BS.

The DVD sent me was scratched badly and would not play correctly. There was no way in h3ll I would pay for that POS or send it back to be passed on to another and waste more time, money and effort on the junk. I was able to watch a DVD that did play and found it very lackluster. Maybe the others are better but I would not take that chance.

As for as credit card offers go...don't get me started. We don't need that junk now or never.

How about promoting the hobby?? I'll gladly pay for that!
Old 07-27-2007, 01:41 AM
sscherin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey man.. where's my free DVD? I never got one
Old 07-27-2007, 01:44 AM
littlecrankshaf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: sscherin

Hey man.. where's my free DVD? I never got one
Sorry! I threw it in the trash.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:17 PM
kid chuckles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

okey dokey?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:46 AM
Jim Thomerson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You know, if I were going to run a scheme to send videos out to our membership, I would have had a goal and purpose in doing so. I would have put on an internal advertising campain to the membership and I would have presented a sales pitch as to what the videos are for, and how they could be used for enjoyment and promotion of model aviation. Not just have a piece of junk mail show up in selected member's mailboxs. But then, who in Muncie knows anything about marketing?
Old 10-12-2007, 11:24 AM
littlecrankshaf

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wonder whats next.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:38 PM
KidEpoxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'd be willing to shell out the $3 to try a can of AMA Chili
I could fill my hungryspot & help a good cause with one stone.

Would also solve the problem of what to serve at Sanctioned Events,
easy enough to fire up a big crock of AMA Chili with a couple boxes of crakers & a coke cooler

Just distrib it to Sanctioned Events, freight the couple cases to save money, and let the local clubs sell cans or hot cups of it (or they can Ebay it ).
Old 10-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Are we so bored that need to revive 3-month old posts? Do you guys actually do anything else other than stirring the pot?

Rafael

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service