Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

saftey officers

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

saftey officers

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:02 PM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default saftey officers

Just a curious question, Are there any AMA clubs that have more then one saftey officer?

Thank you

Mark
Old 07-05-2007, 10:17 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: saftey officers

Yup!!!! We have a designated safety officer, and out elected board acts as safety officers as well as part of their elected duties. We do this because we recognize that not one person is at the field all the time.

works for us
Old 07-05-2007, 10:25 PM
rcjake

Hi Mark,

If you check pages 14, 15 & 16 here ( http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/clubkit.pdf ) you will get information on AMA Chartered Club's Safety Coordinator. As far as the AMA Chartered Club Safety Officer position, that role in the AMA Chartered Clubs was discontinued when the Safety Coordinator position was created by the AMA.

Jerry
FEAR CD
Old 07-05-2007, 10:26 PM
trioval00

We also follow that same policy, saftey officer plus the 4 other officers also act as saftey Officer.

but the question still is. Is there any clubs that have 2 or more members listed as saftey Coordinator?

Mark
Old 07-05-2007, 10:59 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Officially listed....not at our club. We fill the paperwork out as it was intended and then go from there.

Interesting question though....
Old 07-05-2007, 11:07 PM
rcjake

ORIGINAL: trioval00

We also follow that same policy, saftey officer plus the 4 other officers also act as saftey Officer.

but the question still is. Is there any clubs that have 2 or more members listed as saftey Coordinator?

Mark

Mark,

Not at our club. Do you feel that there should be more than one listed with the AMA? If so, why?

Jerry
FEAR Cd
Old 07-06-2007, 05:59 AM
Roby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The club I belong to has 2 fields ,therefore we have
a safety officer at each. Everything seems to working
ok, haven't had any difficulties yet or feel the need
for any additional SO positions.

Regards,
Roby
Old 07-06-2007, 07:39 AM
beepee

We have two.

Bedford
Old 07-06-2007, 02:53 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I think it is everybody's responsibility to be the safety officer. If you see someone breaking the rules, then it is your duty to say someting to him.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm fuzzy on this, but as I recall St. Louis County and Greater St. Louis Modeling Association came to the conclusion that all GSLMA members were to act as safety officers at Buder Park. This was some years ago; no idea what the situation is now.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:49 PM
trioval00

ok, the reason for this question is......

we do have one saftery officer,,,, Coordinator... he has a been busy with other things such as life, but not at the field much at all this past several months. He is a nice guy and not wanting to remove him from that position as saftey officer, we also appointed another member as a saftey officer, who is at the field more often.

Well, the first saftery officer was not happy with a second safety officer being appointed. he started sreaming AMA does not allow 2 saftey officers, I could not find any such rule, and also was saying that there isn't any clubs with 2 saftey officers.

So, there is the reason for my question.

Mark
Old 07-06-2007, 05:08 PM
rcjake

Mark,

Read the AMA Safety Coordinator qualifications & guidelines that I posted a link to and then show them to the first Safety Coordinator. Then ask him if he feels that he is best qualified to hold the position.

Good luck!

Jerry
Old 07-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Live Wire

You are going yo have a hard time finding ONE with the BALL'S to enforce them Seem that rule only are for some not all
Old 07-09-2007, 07:03 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having two safety officers at the field at the same time would be like having two flight instructors in the front seats of an airplane. Ain't nothing more dangerous, but there's no other reason it can't be done.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:36 AM
beepee

No problem at our field. If we are both there, one maybe flying, or teaching, or chatting under the pavilion. The other can be executing Safety Officer duties. It has NEVER presented a problem.

Bedford
Old 07-09-2007, 09:17 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: trioval00

ok, the reason for this question is......

we do have one saftery officer,,,, Coordinator... he has a been busy with other things such as life, but not at the field much at all this past several months. He is a nice guy and not wanting to remove him from that position as saftey officer, we also appointed another member as a saftey officer, who is at the field more often.

Well, the first saftery officer was not happy with a second safety officer being appointed. he started sreaming AMA does not allow 2 saftey officers, I could not find any such rule, and also was saying that there isn't any clubs with 2 saftey officers.

So, there is the reason for my question.

Mark
Mark

Not really sure what you expect from the safety coordinator. Are you looking for a sort of model airport MP? This is a hobby after all. There is no need for a safety coordinator to be at the field constantly. It is OK for him to have a life…
Old 07-09-2007, 10:28 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 07-09-2007, 01:50 PM
Montague

There's a big difference between the "Saftey [Enforcement] Officer(s)" at a club, who's job it is to keep everyone safe, and the Safety Coordinator listed with the AMA who looks to be nothing more than a point-of-contact for the AMA for safety-related stuff.

I have no idea if the AMA allows more than one point of contact, but you can have as many rules enforcers as you want.

Btw, speaking of that, has anyone listed with the AMA as the safety guy ever been contacted? I'm not sure if the AMA uses this or not.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:28 PM
John Casey
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

The safety officer should be someone the rest of the pilots respect,
the go to guy for questions and problem solving, its alot easier to get their cooperation when
your safety officer is one of the areas top modelers, flying the top equipment.

Also as safety officer, don't let your buddies and friends violate the rules,
then pick on folks that have different "views" than yours, it's get's pretty obvious.
We "pushed" a safety officer out of his job at my "other club" because he was pulling that kind of crap.

The flying field is no place for pushing your "agenda" using the safety rules as "tools" to do so.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LCS: "Mark

Not really sure what you expect from the safety coordinator. Are you looking for a sort of model airport MP? This is a hobby after all. There is no need for a safety coordinator to be at the field constantly. It is OK for him to have a life… "
WOW! this hurts, however I do agree with LCS on this one.

J. Casey: "The safety officer should be someone the rest of the pilots respect,
the go to guy for questions and problem solving, its alot easier to get their cooperation when
your safety officer is one of the areas top modelers, flying the top equipment.

Also as safety officer, don't let your buddies and friends violate the rules,
then pick on folks that have different "views" than yours, it's get's pretty obvious.
We "pushed" a safety officer out of his job at my "other club" because he was pulling that kind of crap.

The flying field is no place for pushing your "agenda" using the safety rules as "tools" to do so. "
Sorry, John, but the part, ".... its alot easier to get their cooperation when
your safety officer is one of the areas top modelers, flying the top equipment. "

That I don't buy at all. Most of the 'herd' will swoon after that guy, however those that have a tad of common sense will readily know that these individuals are just that -- individuals. In my many years of club work, I find the self acclaimed "top guns" along with the hard-core competition modelers are the ones most prone to do just what you are against. OTOH most of these types don't do anything at all as their focus is on winning the next contest or wowing the spectators and soaking up applause.

This comes from one who was at one time a hard-core competitor.

edit: typos
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28470.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	719131  
Old 07-10-2007, 02:53 PM
John Casey
Banned

Nice trophy case, good job, but personally disagree .....I would rather have "the herd":

Follow the guy's recommendation's
.... whos flying the top equipment,
showing up in the magazines,
racking in the trophies,
getting the applause at public events,
getting interviewed on TV And promoting the hobby by doing so.

Rather than the longtime club member with the sweet stick who
has never advanced past that in a decade of flying and
claims that he knows better than the modeler depicked above......just because he says so.

I really bugs me to see the 152 pilots telling the 747 pilots whats what in flying,
Model aviation is not much different.

I do agree that pilot egos run amuck is a bad thing,
I don't see much of that here though, as the rest of the "Top guns" keep the "other " Top guns In check.
I guess that comes with big fish swimming with other big fish.
Doing things right way and having the "right stuff" should prevail over individual popularity.
May be the problem occurs when you have one top gun run amuck and no
other big fish(top guns) to keep things on an even keel.

Heck he only has one vote at a meeting! No matter how big a name he is.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:51 PM
Live Wire

John
Ever think you are beating your head against a brick wall and getting No where Been there and found out money talks and all else walks Great hobby if you kiss @#$ and wonder why when it is to late[:@]
Old 07-11-2007, 10:30 AM
rcjake

ORIGINAL: John Casey

Nice trophy case, good job, but personally disagree .....I would rather have "the herd":

Follow the guy's recommendation's
.... whos flying the top equipment,
showing up in the magazines,
racking in the trophies,
getting the applause at public events,
getting interviewed on TV And promoting the hobby by doing so.

Rather than the longtime club member with the sweet stick who
has never advanced past that in a decade of flying and
claims that he knows better than the modeler depicked above......just because he says so.
I really bugs me to see the 152 pilots telling the 747 pilots whats what in flying,
Model aviation is not much different.

I do agree that pilot egos run amuck is a bad thing,
I don't see much of that here though, as the rest of the "Top guns" keep the "other " Top guns In check.
I guess that comes with big fish swimming with other big fish.
Doing things right way and having the "right stuff" should prevail over individual popularity.
May be the problem occurs when you have one top gun run amuck and no
other big fish(top guns) to keep things on an even keel.

Heck he only has one vote at a meeting! No matter how big a name he is.

John,

A guy that is constantly flying his Sweet Stick, may have a better idea on safety issues at his club, than another member (competitor) that is always away at contests.

Jerry
FEAR CD

Old 07-11-2007, 11:52 AM
Montague

Also, the thing about safety is that there are very few absolutes.

And more experienced pilots tend to do things they are comfortable doing, and are safe for them, but might be totally unsafe for someone not as experienced.

But having one rule for the experienced pilot and one for "everyone else" is a bad idea.

And it's really hard for a random person watching to know if something that looks unsafe is just a matter of an experienced pilot who is handling a slightly higher risk level, or somene doing something really dangerous and over their head.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:31 PM
John Casey
Banned

Montague's observation is correct, there are unforunately
pilots that don't know there own limitations on thier own skill and flying ability.
They are the ones trying to be Bob Hoover without putting in the flight time
and practice it takes to be a Bob Hoover.

In real aviation: There are no..... old bold pilots.....
(even Bob Hoover has had to cut back on the tricks he did, "Knowing" his own limitations)

In modeling: There are no ...bold pilots.......... with old airplanes.

Those of us that attempt to radically exceed our flying abilities crash, (hopefully not into someone)
those who attempt to fly aircraft(heavily wing loaded) beyond our abilities, do the same,
and the problem solve's itself.
Most of us know who at the flying field is trying to exceed thier flying ability when doing so,
and start looking for a fox hole to wait for the big crash.

Getting back to the original point I made.....

If Bob hoover told you not to do some manuver with a P-51 because it was unsafe
vs some no name cessna pilot (claiming to be some expert)....... and your flying A P-51.

Who's word or advice is going to carry more weight with you?

Who's word is going to carry the most weight with most pilots?

So its easier for a Bob Hoover(safety officer) to get co-operation from a bunch of guys flying airplanes
than "the guy who fly's a sweet stick" trying to tell the warbird guys, jet guys , 3d guys whats what in flying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.