Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Objectives of a Potential AMA President

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Objectives of a Potential AMA President

Old 07-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Objectives of a Potential AMA President

If I, Horrace D. Cain, AMA L-93, could be elected as AMA president, here is where I would start.

AMA President Objectives:

1. To obtain National Recognition of the sport and hobby of aeromodeling using the available media plus repeated News Reports. This national recognition will include government from the top federal levels down through the local city, township, and county councils, along with news media through all major networks and affiliates. (Not paid advertising, just news.)
A. Bring to government the International Goodwill provided by the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) through the FAI International Competition programs.
B. Assist clubs, and groups to obtain more access to potential flying sites through recognition of the sport of aeromodeling by local governing units.
C. Provide public awareness of the overall educational and recreational values of the worthwhile sport and hobby of model aviation.

2. Reorganize the current AMA, an educational non-profit corporation, now structured under Internal Revenue Code (IRC) 501 (c) (3), into two separate entities, somewhat like the entities of the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA). AMA should have at least one 501 (c) (3) unit plus a regular corporation, not bound by the restrictions of a non-profit, which could divert more of its energies to representing the model aircraft member’s needs before the government entities at any level, for any reason deemed required, within this rapidly ever-changing society and political environment we find ourselves in today and tomorrow.

3. To enhance, including revision as needed, the AMA’s publication programs, especially that which now enjoys the status of “Non-Related Business†under IRC 501 (c) (3).
A. Considerable reduction in the amounts of member-dues monies expended in the operation and deliverance of said publication/s.
B. Maintain a periodical that supports the needs of the membership with guidance, provides information for members relative the AMA’s programs, benefits, and mission, and fulfills the requirements of the Bylaws, plus providing model aeronautical education.

4. Establish the overall recognition of the many different disciplines along with the numerous levels of individual interest in this sport of model aviation, all which encompass many different individuals and personalities. AMA has to recognize that changing times and technologies prevent AMA current practices from applying to today’s younger persons the same as older modelers and actually even as just a few years ago. While the modeler needs AMA, AMA also vastly needs the modeler, and it’s AMA that needs to change.
A. Develop new programs, and modify old programs commensurate with these differences and interest levels.
B. Work to better fit the needs of these many different individuals with the objective of enticing their joining and remaining as members of AMA.

These are my objectives to provide the sport of Aeromodeling, all disciplines, with a progressive Academy (AMA), one equipped to provide representation to the world for its membership, and the interests of that membership.

Prior to July 13, I need a number of nominations to get on the ballot.

Please send an email to:

Mary Lou Vojslavek, Administrative Director, AMA

[email protected]

State that you (Name and AMA Number_ ) do nominate Horrace D. Cain, AMA L-93 for AMA President, 2008-2010

It's that easy.

Thank You.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:52 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Objectives of a Potential AMA President

Hoss

If you became the next AMA President do you see any changes that need to be made
to turbine waiver system and if so any ideas on how to bring the changes about?
Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Hossfly

Good question, ira d.

However I cannot, at this time, give you any learned answer to that question.

For that I would have to discuss the item with leaders of the JPO, along with EC members that have been working on this for some time.

Personally, I would like to see it as simple as possible, especially for the newer influx of turbine sport and "trainers" now available. They are about like flying a big 'Kaos' and with my limited current knowledge I don't know why a lesser waiver could not be in effect for those type models.

Still I have to say I would need some briefing and counseling in this area.

Thanks for the inquiry.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:35 AM
ira d

Hoss

Thanks for the reply, I know of a couple of problems with the waiver system that need
to be addressed IMO in a sort of an urgent manner I will share them if you are interested.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:45 AM
Hossfly

Always ready to listen to those kind of problems, however ira d, remember that as of now, I'm strictly just another AMA member and cannot do anything about anything.

The current AMA hierarchy has no reason to worry about my complaints because from the support I receive here on RCU, (called lack of ) they well know that I am no threat to their current methods of operation.

Only when the public rises up and say "enough is enough" will anyone up there listen. Actually such works even in our Congress as the recent up-rising against a politician's popular "fix" for a real problem has been placed in limbo, not dead, but postponed indefinitely.

Without that support, none of the stated objectives will ever come to pass from the current officials in the AMA elected management.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:20 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Horrace,

We've bumped heads a time or two, but I've always had a tremendous amount of respect for your willingness to say and do what you believe is the right thing. We might not agree that it's right, but you will certainly stand up for what you believe.

I also note that you are, to the best of my knowledge, the only individual interested in this position who has come to "the masses" and explained what you intend to do. Again, kudos.

Along those lines, I'd like to ask you if you would be willing to expand a bit on 1B - "Assist clubs, and groups to obtain more access to potential flying sites through recognition of the sport of aeromodeling by local governing units."

Do you have some ideas on how you believe the AMA could help increase recognition of the sport by local government? Would you also pursue more recognition of the educational opportunities by local school systems? What about aeromodeling as a "community center type activity" so to speak?

Again, I'm by no means saying "it should be done this way", as I certainly don't have the knowledge to do so. Rather, I'm simply asking if you could expand a bit on that particular aspect of your platform.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:27 AM
ira d

Thanks Hoss

Yes I understand that as of right now you are just another member
but the turbine subject was was raised by me because I wanted to
get your view on AMA turbine operations.

Who I vote for will depend to some degree on their stand on the
waiver system that I feel is being run in an unfair way. Im sure
this is true for many other members as well no matter what their
interest may be.

However thanks for your reply, I think Im going to start a new thread
about the waivers as I dont want to take this thread too far of topic.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Horrace - I don't always agree with you, but I think you are a good candidate. Below is the quick reply I got from AMA.

Respectfully,
Trent Combs

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________

Thank you Mr Combs, your nomination for Horrace Cain has been received here at HQ. I will follow up with snail mail notice of receipt also.

Mary Lou Vojslavek
Administration/Operations Director
Academy of Model Aeronautics
(765) 287-1256 ext. 201
[email protected]
Old 07-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

I would like to see Horrace on the ballot aslo. Maybe some straight talk is what we need in Muncie.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:51 PM
rcjake

Horrace,

I have been an AMA Contest Director and Leader Member since the late 70's, have held offices of many AMA Chartered clubs and have been the CD of many fun-flys and fly-ins over the years. During this time as an AMA Leader Member , I have only been asked my opinion on an issue once by the AMA.

If you are elected as the AMA President, what are your plans for the AMA Leader Members?

Thanks,
Jerry
FEAR CD
Old 07-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

I would like to see Horrace on the ballot aslo. Maybe some straight talk is what we need in Muncie.

Then make a nomination!
Old 07-02-2007, 02:45 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

How did you say you were going to reduce the costs of the magazine to the end users?
Old 07-02-2007, 06:20 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Teachu2
Then make a nomination!

Done

Horrace you can be a pain in the Butt. However I think you just may be able to do the job and you have never abandoned the competion flyer or our involvement with international competition. Even in the case of the less popular disciplines. If you make the ballot I will vote for you.

John
Old 07-02-2007, 06:51 PM
rcjake

ORIGINAL: Teachu2

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Then make a nomination!

Also done...

Jerry
FEAR CD
Old 07-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Jackzon
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

It's that easy.

Thank You.
Yep, it really was.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Hossfly

gboulton;
Along those lines, I'd like to ask you if you would be willing to expand a bit on 1B - "Assist clubs, and groups to obtain more access to potential flying sites through recognition of the sport of aeromodeling by local governing units."
Even if I spend a lot of time doing this all myself, my GOAL is to bombard all levels of government, from the White-House on down with what AMA is doing to increase the scientific, educational, and mind-building sport of aeromodeling, in both recreational and competition levels.

At the local level, those county, city, township and town councils will be getting information relative to the events, the people, and the "doers" within their area. NATs and major event winners will be brought to their attention in the winner's local area. My objective is to make the AMA, the people, and the activity well known in as many communities as possible. AMA leaves a lot of latitude to the local groups, and to that I agree. OTOH if AMA can provide a soft setting with pre-publicity, then maybe the local units can tend to their needs in a much easier and more productive outcome within a lesser time frame.

WHY? Because if you go out and talk to people -- those not associated with the sport/hobby -- about model airplanes. I'm betting that at least 90% will only have some idea about a kid with smelly glue whacking on balsa and making a mess in the house.
How many times have you been in a group, where all are relatively unknown to each other, but a conservation gets started, usually about sports such as baseball, football, and the local team, etc.? First thing you know, people are talking and making friends.
Now if a Club or group of modelers approach a local governing unit, and several directors there already have a good idea and good feeling for true model airplane people, then IS IT not reasonable that a better atmosphere will be set for discussing the situation, like a place to fly? If those at the top levels become friendly with the activity, then good things always seem to trickle down.

By the same token when the local "GRUMP" complains about the Soaring Club making too much noise (HEY! Had a big problem with that in northern Indiana when I was D-VI DVP [:-] ) just maybe the local Council will not just outlaw the flying before hearing the full details.
Simplified of course, however that is the idea. Not going to happen over night, however the longest journey starts with the first step. Right now it seems a number of you are taking that first step. Even if I never make the ballot or even the job, I feel that someone just may be paying attention to what's going on here this week.

Thank you all very much.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: rcjake

Horrace,

I have been an AMA Contest Director and Leader Member since the late 70's, have held offices of many AMA Chartered clubs and have been the CD of many fun-flys and fly-ins over the years. During this time as an AMA Leader Member , I have only been asked my opinion on an issue once by the AMA.

If you are elected as the AMA President, what are your plans for the AMA Leader Members?

Thanks,
Jerry
FEAR CD
Jerry, when I became a CD, in March of 1963, if you performed your CD duties properly Leader was automatic in one year from the CD date. I fooled 'em and they did it unto me!
When, back in the late '80s, Don Lowe as Pres. and Bob Underwood, as Technical Director got together and decided to purge the ranks of Leaders, I really went to bat for the leaders, but not enough joined me. Even now a Leader and a CD sign the almost same pledge, yet the hiearchy refuses to recognize the CD as a Leader without another paper trail. [:@]

So what will I do? To revise AMA into two units will require a change of Bylaws. That requires Leader Approval. Hopefully I can even get more Leader input into those major operations now either slipped into the bureaucracy with no fanfare and simply add expense to the operation. Only Leader Members can really advise on the needs of their areas. AMA itself needs to become much more versatile enabling it to be responsive to the individual different areas, which may require re-districting. While the AMA Bylaws defer the districts to the choice of the Executive Council, as President I would pull strings to assure the Leader Members of any effected Districts would have an opportunity to provide their thoughts and desires.

While I have no problems with making decisions, I do like to get as much information from the using agency (Leaders) as possible. Today's internet does allow contact with Leaders at very little cost.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:38 PM
ira d

By the way Hoss I did send an email to nominate you and received a reply back today.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

How did you say you were going to reduce the costs of the magazine to the end users? (in reply to Teachu2)

STL, you confuse me again. Your response was in reply to Teachu2, however the question appeared to be to me. If I am stepping into something that I shouldn't, then I do apologize.

Actually I did NOT say, but I do have a plan. That plan involves a reduction in expense to the AMA, may not reduce the "end user" cost, but should defer any additional "end user" cost within the near future.
STL, In Nov. '81, when I devised the battle-plan that resulted in the FCC releasing the new (now current) frequencies, previously I had no idea of the war, much less a "plan" until I sat through a briefing by the Frequency Chairman. After that briefing, I proposed my quickly devised battle-plan, it was accepted by 100% of the EC, and it worked. In some situations a thing called 'Leverage' can greatly assist getting things done.
When one describes his battle-plan in detail long before the proper time, it just allows the opposition to build a stronger defense.

My plans usually get refined when the battle starts. Kind of like back in my pylon days when 70% Nitro was the norm: if you tweeked that needle 20 seconds before the flag dropped, that plug would usually go the first lap rather than the last leg of the 9th lap, when it was supposed to.

Heck, Man, getting things done is work enough, no need to make it more difficult than it needs to be!

edited: sentence restructure.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:06 AM
Hossfly

Thanks ira d.

Have you posted those turbine problems somewhere else?

I have been wanting to do that for some time. I will have to use a Trainer Type because I'm OLD!
Old 07-03-2007, 12:09 AM
rcjake

Horrace,

Thanks for the reply. It seems that a lot of AMA members feel that the AMA leadership is out of touch with them and do not know or care about their problems or concerns. The Leader Members are out flying with the AMA members and are more in touch with the AMA member's feelings and needs than the leadership that few members ever see. It would be great if the AMA would utilize the Leader Member's knowledge and experience to help with the running of the AMA.

Thanks again, and good luck with the nomination & election! You have my support.

Jerry
FEAR CD
Old 07-03-2007, 06:43 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

gboulton;
Even if I spend a lot of time doing this all myself, my GOAL is to bombard all levels of government, from the White-House on down with what AMA is doing to increase the scientific, educational, and mind-building sport of aeromodeling, in both recreational and competition levels.

At the local level, those county, city, township and town councils will be getting information relative to the events, the people, and the "doers" within their area. NATs and major event winners will be brought to their attention in the winner's local area. My objective is to make the AMA, the people, and the activity well known in as many communities as possible. AMA leaves a lot of latitude to the local groups, and to that I agree. OTOH if AMA can provide a soft setting with pre-publicity, then maybe the local units can tend to their needs in a much easier and more productive outcome within a lesser time frame.

WHY? Because if you go out and talk to people -- those not associated with the sport/hobby -- about model airplanes. I'm betting that at least 90% will only have some idea about a kid with smelly glue whacking on balsa and making a mess in the house.
How many times have you been in a group, where all are relatively unknown to each other, but a conservation gets started, usually about sports such as baseball, football, and the local team, etc.? First thing you know, people are talking and making friends.
Now if a Club or group of modelers approach a local governing unit, and several directors there already have a good idea and good feeling for true model airplane people, then IS IT not reasonable that a better atmosphere will be set for discussing the situation, like a place to fly? If those at the top levels become friendly with the activity, then good things always seem to trickle down.

By the same token when the local "GRUMP" complains about the Soaring Club making too much noise (HEY! Had a big problem with that in northern Indiana when I was D-VI DVP [:-] ) just maybe the local Council will not just outlaw the flying before hearing the full details.
Simplified of course, however that is the idea. Not going to happen over night, however the longest journey starts with the first step. Right now it seems a number of you are taking that first step. Even if I never make the ballot or even the job, I feel that someone just may be paying attention to what's going on here this week.

Thank you all very much.
www.abchobbyshop.com

As stated on my web site, I also have had a plan for growth in the hobby/sport and totally agree with everything you stand for. Thing is, it's been all but a solo effort on my part. There are many clubs in my area but except for maybe one or two members, I have had no support whatsoever, matter of fact, just the opposite.

I know what you're going through in an attempt to get things going in a proactive manner.

CCR
Old 07-03-2007, 07:41 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Horrace,

Best of luck to you in your campaign for the Presidency of the AMA. I too join the ranks of those who do not always agree with you, but have the utmost respect for what you have tried to accomplish over the years. I too, hold you in high regard for what I think is a great love for this hobby, and a selfless interest in seeing the hobby grow and prosper. I am proud to have been the first to nominate you for the office of President. I hope the masses get aboard this bandwagon, and that the AMA sees a groundswell of the rank and file membership to elect someone that does not belong to the insider network. Anything that I can do for you, I will. Just ask.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 07-03-2007, 07:49 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Horrace,

Thanks for your further discusion on the issue of promoting the hobby within local communities. I certainly agree with the ideas you've outlined, and would be eager to discuss the issue in more depth at some later time, when it is more appropriate.

Consider my e-mail sent, sir.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Hossfly

Thanks Clarence, Bill and gboulton.

Thanks especially to Bill for making the first nomination public. Hey Man, that has been difficult for me to keep.

Fliers 1 has an interesting web site with lots of info. Recommended reading.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.