AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Steve Kaluf and the AMA

Old 08-15-2007, 05:12 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Steve Kaluf and the AMA

This was posted on another forum, and since the discussion here is soooo emotional and energetic, I wanted to get a confirmation of these events....

Read the entire thread here: [link]http://www.runryder.net/helicopter/t366695p1/[/link]

Everyone out there in modeling land.
News flash: Steve Kaluf has been fired by the AMA Executive VP Jim Cherry during the IRCHA Jamboree because he climbed on a mower owned by the AMA while he was on vacation to help prepare the field for the event. For many of you who personally know Steve, and those who don't, he has been very instrumental in all techinical aspects of the AMA. Please let your district VP's know how upset you are with this shocking development. Also, please email Jim Cherry (jcherry@modelaircraft.org) and let him know. The executive council met on Monday (a normal scheduled meeting) and this was brought up as all of the district VP's wanted Steve back immediately. Somehow, there is a clause in Mr. Cherry's contract that he can hire and fire anyone he wishes without the executive councils blessing or knowledge and there is nothing the EC can do to overturn it. This is just wrong, and now you can ask "What is the AMA doing for me?". Looks like creating their own little country club and only Mr. Cherry's friends are invited.
Sorry for bringing this up here but something has to be done about this and the more ways we get this out to the modeling world, the better.
Kevin Cordell
This is very limited information. I HOPE that this is NOT true! NOT based on the events listed above. There HAS to be an underlying reason for this unless it is all made up.

Rafael
Old 08-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Steve Kaluf and the AMA

Some people are looking for more power by over stepping thiers. Looking for a name not wanting to really do their job.

this may not be true but stuff happens

<Edit by moderator to remove improper language>
Old 08-15-2007, 07:33 PM
abel_pranger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Outlaw-

Wait for news at 11. Who knows, maybe the mower guys are union.

Abel
Old 08-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did not think Cheery was hired to cut grass

Now I see why Joyce stepped down
Old 08-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is more to model aviation than cutting grass. But some one has to do it "MUNCIE"
Old 08-16-2007, 01:15 AM
KidEpoxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"maybe the mower guys are union."

oh man... that's a good one Abel
Wasnt there a recent thread when some guy was complaining about the mowing not getting done, and the response was asking if the club had rules against him mowing it himself? I gues in this case..... (if the snippet we got here is true)

<KidChuckles & Red in the Outlandish Fees thread, pg7>
Old 08-16-2007, 07:39 AM
SSRCCPREZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think we may not be getting the full story. Though he may have the power/ability to hire and fire at will, this type of sword is usualy weilded carefully and with discretion. I am thinking there are a few facts in this case missing, that may or may not shed a clearer light on the situation.

If jumping on a mower to help out an event gets you fired, I would be permanantly unemployed....
Old 08-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SSRCCPREZ
I think we may not be getting the full story. Though he may have the power/ability to hire and fire at will, this type of sword is usualy weilded carefully and with discretion. I am thinking there are a few facts in this case missing, that may or may not shed a clearer light on the situation.
If jumping on a mower to help out an event gets you fired, I would be permanantly unemployed....
This is exactly what I'm thinking, but I've only heard this side of the story. I know there are a bunch of people really involved in the AMA in this forum, so I was hoping to hear the other side of the story, or somebody to back up this story.

Rafael
Old 08-16-2007, 09:44 AM
MajorTomski

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Has anyone just tried emailing Kaluf at Muncie?
Old 08-16-2007, 10:02 AM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No, But I sent an e-mail to Dave Mathewson to try and find out what's going on.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Steve is still on the Staff List as Technical Director as of a couple minutes ago.

On Sunday at the EC meeting there was some big flap going on resulting in an Executive Session.

I spent the time in the Museum. GREAT Place for true modelers and I loved it. Finally after the ES, I found I was NOT on the Presidential Candidate ballot so I vacated the premises.

Don't know any more.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:37 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Its both true that he was terminated and that there is more to the story.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:57 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Care to expound on this?
Old 08-16-2007, 04:17 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just received this response -- upper -- to my email - lower.

>>>>>>
Steve resigned and I am answering his emails

Joyce Hager
Staff Director
Bringing Modelers Together

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 12:15 PM
To: Steve Kaluf
Subject: What the "ell is this rumor about you?

Steve;

Some numb-nuts are spreading a rumor that you are no longer with AMA. Is this true? So far, for a long time you are the only level headed person there.

Please confirm.

Horrace Cain
<<<<<<<<

I'm certain that there is more than we will ever know.

edited to remove email addresses.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:20 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Doea anyone else smell that........
It smells an awful lot like Cow excrimant...
Old 08-16-2007, 04:22 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If he received a severance, then nobody may be getting any story. Severance pays usually come attached with a non disclosure. That is of course, if he received the payment.

I bet it had something to do with the paintball activities he approved, but then again PDF is still up on the site.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:20 PM
gunfighter
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Steve had nothing to do with approving "paint Ball activities" That was Carl Maroney.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:50 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Steve was a smart guy and an asset to the AMA but what happened is between him and Jim Cherry. If you are that curious contact your district VP and see what they have to say about it.

Edited to correct the name, Jim not Don (been around this stuff too long)
Old 08-16-2007, 06:22 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

Steve was a smart guy and an asset to the AMA but what happened is between him and Don. If you are that curious contact your district VP and see what they have to say about it.

Unfortunately most of us would only get a formed word-smithed lip service such as "Steve resigned...". The only way we may know what really happened is if Steve gave the true story. Steve was always eager to help and his lose will be substantial to say the very least. The AMA has taken many steps backwards because of this lose and may well prove to be a pivotal point in the future of the AMA.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:04 PM
khodges

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All this is living proof that once an organization gets even a micron of political momentum going, it quickly accelerates to warp speed 180 degrees away from its intended purpose. What can any of this sequence of events have to do with furthering the sport of radio control flying?
Old 08-16-2007, 08:10 PM
JorLRice

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey guys,

If it was personal information about your own departure from an organization, you would not want it bantered around on the internet. Steve is no longer with us at AMA HQ and while some of the facts presented here are partially true, most are guesses and unsubstantiated.

The issue was discussed for a few minutes by the EC. The specifics of that discussion I am not at liberty to divulge and that is mostly out of courtesy for Steve Kaluf and Jim Cherry.

Actions such as this tear at the heart and mind of all parties. Ranting and raving does no good for anyone. I have every confidence that the AMA will rebound from this and continue to excel and I am equally confident that Steve will land on his feet and use his many talents to continue to provide for his family and the modeling public.

I hope you can all appreciate the fact that anything to do with personnel matters is taken very seriously and treated with confidence and respect. To enter into an exchange on this forum would be contrary to the employee confidence aspect all professional organizations and businesses practice.

I hope you understand regardless of what is written concerning this matter I cannot respond no matter how misleading or erroneous that information may be.

I can't discuss this further and don't think any good will be served by further discussions among yourselves.

Jim Rice
District VIII VP
Old 08-16-2007, 09:11 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

good post!
Old 08-16-2007, 10:09 PM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Unfortunately, the AMA is not a professional organization nor a business practice. The employees are hired to serve the membership. And we elect the District VP's and a President to monitor their actions. If Mr. Cherry truly has supreme authority, then our representatives have failed us.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:49 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JorLRice

Hey guys,
//snip//
The issue was discussed for a few minutes by the EC. The specifics of that discussion I am not at liberty to divulge and that is mostly out of courtesy for Steve Kaluf and Jim Cherry.
//snip//
I hope you can all appreciate the fact that anything to do with personnel matters is taken very seriously and treated with confidence and respect. To enter into an exchange on this forum would be contrary to the employee confidence aspect all professional organizations and businesses practice.
//snip//

I can't discuss this further and don't think any good will be served by further discussions among yourselves.

Jim Rice
District VIII VP
Spoken like a true politician, Jim. Almost like your predecessor, except you can well write sentences and paragraphs where the good doc. could only write simple word phrases.

It grieves me that you would try to subdue AMA members along with those that may consider becoming AMA members from expressing their thoughts.

The true road to dictatorship is to subdue the speech and free-thinking of the populace. Why do even the smallest political potatoes just have to keep down opposition by trying to shame and ridicule others from being forthright with their thoughts?

That is one of the main things that caused all the good-ol-boys to complain that I was difficult to work with. When I was a DVP, I kept no secrets from the membership. Really POed the "knights-of-the-square-table". That animosity still exists as you all well displayed this past Sun. 8/12/07.

Same Old Ship, Different Day! [sm=72_72.gif]

edit: spelling
Old 08-17-2007, 12:42 AM
LeeL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I realy cant express how dissapointed I am with the AMA right now. As was stated a few post back it is unbelivable how every time they take a fraction of a step forward they fall miles backwards. I have never in my life seen an organization that was more in need of a complete overhaul. I have always been very vocal in my support of AMA and truly belived it was in all modlers best interest to be a member, now I am no longer so sure of this. I am honestly starting to belive that quite a few others are correct in the fact that the upper tiers, are only interested in this as a social club where they can wield the power and have everyone bow to their wishes. I do not feel that anyone at Muncie cares one iota about the general members or our concerns. At this point in time I am actively searching for enough land and a house to purchase so I can have my own private field and club where AMA membership will not be a requirement. I am going to drop my membership in the 3 clubs I am a member of because of the AMA requirement and at this time have no intentions of renewing my AMA membership, untill such time that the AMA decides it will listen to the membership and truley become an organization that will be a voice for the modelers and do what the membership wants instead of what the upper tier wants for themselves.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service