AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Come on down & try the BuddyBox
55.06%
Sure, we promote all aspects of the hobby
10.11%
Um, just what would do you want to know
6.74%
Let me get a club officer to help you
11.24%
Um, I dont know anything, none of us do
1.12%
Sorry, we dont talk to reporters
0%
This is private property, please leave
2.25%
BLAM BLAM BLAM... and stay dead, Punk
13.48%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

What do we tell Reporters/Media?

Old 08-27-2007, 02:35 PM
KidEpoxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default What do we tell Reporters/Media?

Reporter wants to do a story on your Club & RC Planes,
What do we say to them?

Just read DBs page, is he suggesting the
I duuno, he dunno, we dunno
plan?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: What do we tell Reporters/Media?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13461.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	750968  
Old 08-27-2007, 03:52 PM
ToyDestroyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why would your club not want to talk to the media. I say bring them down and throw them on a buddy box. If you a scared that they may put a terror weapon spin on the story ask questions before you agree to let them in. If they want to do a story on planes they do no need your permission to video your planes flying in public view as long as they are not standing on your club property (ie they can freely tape your planes from a public road leading to your property). By inviting them to the field and giving the reporter a buddy box lesson you may find a friend in your local media. Pushing the media away may encourage some moron to put a bad spin on a story about your club.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:12 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lame duck, don't sweat it.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:21 PM
rcmiket

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have you every been in that situation? Several times we have been approached by the media to cover fly inns and fundraisers. Whats the problem? Get the most outgoing of the bunch and have at it. If they want to give it a shot on the buddy box do it. Right now were in a situation where we need a new field and the money to build it. Our past dealing with the media and fundraising for Charities is a plus. Never pass up the chance to put yourselves in a positive light with the public. You never know.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is Dave Brown's column from September MA.

It might do us all well to read it, before we go giving the media something they can blow out of proportion and out of context.

President's Perspective
The headlines scream, "Model Airplane Can Be a Terrorist Weapon" or a similar diatribe and my E-mail lights up. We have all seen a variation of this theme when it's a slow news day and a reporter needs something to report.

When this happens, AMA members contact me or AMA Headquarters and ask, "What is AMA doing about this?" "AMA should make them stop printing this stuff!"

I wish it were that easy to stifle such speech, but I'm glad it isn't. If it were we'd be living in a country where freedom was a rare commodity.

It is a fact that a model airplane could be used to commit a number of reprehensible deeds so the headlines don't totally lie; however, there are many easier, cheaper, and more effective ways that a terrorist could carry out his deeds, so a model airplane is unlikely to be involved in such a plot.

Although AMA is powerless to put a stop to such headlines, it has been quite effective in convincing the authorities who are concerned with such matters that the aeromodeling community would report any activity which seemed unusual or threatening. Having eyes in the field is an effective deterrent to misdeeds.

Nearly everyday the media reports of a car bomb exploding and taking lives, yet reporters seem oblivious to that threat. Can you imagine the reaction the journalists would receive to any suggestion that cars and trucks should be banned because they can carry bombs? How about outlawing shoes since shoe bombs have been tried?

Who is the terrorist here? Terrorism is the act of creating fear and terror in the minds of a society. Blowing things up and killing people isn't terrorism—it's murder. It's terrorism when it is used to instill fear in the minds of the people who live on after the carnage. It's the disruption of life that makes terrorism effective.

In the case of the headlines about model airplanes and terrorists, isn't the main purpose of the article to create fear in the minds of the readers? I would have no problem with the media reporting an actual incident where a model airplane was used as a weapon. That is their job. When the media creates fear in the minds of their readers and listeners by printing hypotheses of how something might be used by terrorists, they themselves become the terrorists.

Unfortunately the various media are difficult to deal with, particularly in terms of trust. Most of the negative articles I have seen began with the reporter convincing the modelers that he or she was writing an article about this wonderful sport. The modelers were open with their words only to find them twisted when the final piece was released.

How do we avoid this happening? I'm not sure we can eliminate it, but a good first step is to be very careful when talking to anyone from the media about the capabilities of model airplanes. I've seen situations where the answers to questions regarding the fastest, highest, biggest, and furthest a model has ever flown are combined into a single model with all of those capabilities. That would sure be a heck of a model airplane!

We need the media to promote our sport so we cannot totally shun them, but we need to be wise in how we handle them. In many cases, the wisest answer to a question is "I don't know."

Unfortunately, that is the hardest answer for some of us to give, but it is the best thing to do, unless you are very sure of what you are saying and are quite confident in the person with whom you are speaking. It might also be appropriate to ask him to take his shoes off ... MA

Old 08-27-2007, 05:36 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

*shrug*

Typical Dave Brown. "Don't talk about it, don't discuss it, don't admit to any knowledge of it." The man can't go 3 months without reminding us that we little kids just need to run along and play, and let the "big folks" handle it.

Old 08-27-2007, 05:43 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

what a nice little column from the, soon to be former, AMA pres.

I'm going flying!

50%
Old 08-27-2007, 05:59 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We all know the news media always give un-bias reports with no sensationalism or twist to make a story.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Jim Thomerson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The first rule is do not let the club idiot talk to the reporter. I've heard of a female reporter visiting an RC club and writing a story about fat old fools destroying expensive toys. Apparently that is exactly how it was presented to her. [&o] It helps if you give them something written that they can use. Makes their job easier and helps with accuracy. All my dealings with reporters has been with reporters I happened to know. That is a big help. The buddy box is a good idea. This gives them the ability to write in the first person about the experience. Your goal in dealing with a reporter is to make that reporter into a friend of model aviation.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:31 PM
abel_pranger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"The headlines scream, "Model Airplane Can Be a Terrorist Weapon" or a similar diatribe and my E-mail lights up. We have all seen a variation of this theme when it's a slow news day and a reporter needs something to report."
Is this the same Dave Brown that screamed "Model Airplane Can Appear to Be a Terrorist Weapon" if it has any measure of autonomous control capability? The same Dave Brown that scammed the EC to jam through a ban on devices that would allow autonomous control, stood in the limelight when his buddy flew an autonomous model across the Atlantic, overrode the Safety Committee's Safety Code rewrite, sent Jay Mealy to misrepresent to a Congressional Subcommittee that his his pet No-No was in the SC when it wasn't, and later changed the definition of a model airplane in the liability insurance policy to exclude coverage while a model is under autonomous control?

No poll selection for 'send the reporter to the lamest lame duck AMA has ever known' wasn't a choice, so I'll pass.

Abel
Old 08-27-2007, 07:41 PM
aerolou
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have seen news reports showing the hobby in a positive light but I do not trust the media.
If at all possible I would avoid them.
You never know when they are going to put you on tv saying something completely out of context.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wish it were that easy to stifle such speech, but I'm glad it isn't.
Appearantly the same guy helped DB proof read his column and wrote the warning about 7.5 props...
Wait! Sorry, I don't officially know anything
Old 08-27-2007, 08:27 PM
JUGFLIER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 50%plane

what a nice little column from the, soon to be former, AMA pres.

I'm going flying!

50%

I'm down with this one. The DB era is all but over, am looking to a more vigorous and common sensical approach to this sport.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:34 PM
Liberator

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Abel is spot on. DB seems to have that inate ability to pontificate on anything that does not involve him for the moment.

At this point I would actually pay money to see Hoss win the next election, I can just imagine what life at munchie would be like.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:58 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HA! Liberator you are a lucky man. The nominating committee saved you money.

Back to news stories. We get all the publicity that we can. There are always some inaccuracies but what the heck? AMA has a bit of trouble with being 100% accurate and most of us posting here make a goof once in a while.

Take a look at this from a couple weeks ago:

http://www.hcnonline.com/site/index....d=532207&rfi=8

Not a bad write-up for a bunch of Texas Country-Bumpkins.

Does this qualify as promoting the sport?

Edited for "inaccuratics"
Old 08-28-2007, 12:28 AM
KidEpoxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I hadn't voted yet, I didnt want to sway the massive accuracy we get here in the AMA forum polls
I just punched the "Pass The Buck" chad, when in doubt let some officer handle it.

DB may be leaving, but it is a humdinger of a ponder,
just how much does one trust the media
... I'd rather loan money to a politician than put trust in the media

Old 08-28-2007, 12:30 AM
abel_pranger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice, Hoss......very nice. Keep on truckin' Jetero.

Abel
Old 08-28-2007, 01:38 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've dealt with the visual and printed media. Accuracy is non existant. How they can use a quote completely out of context in order to generate fear and furor while generating more salse volume ids all they care about. Sometimes you'll get lucky and be interviewed by a new reporter that hasn't been corrupted yet, but their work generally gets shredded by an editor.

DB was nowhere off the mark in his statements.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:13 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We don’t just wait for them to contact us…We call them out if we have something unusual going on. On a winter night a couple of years ago, we decided to put lights on model airplanes and put on a real flying show never before seen anywhere else...the news guys loved it! A real blast to say the very least. The raw enthusiasm exhibited by fun loving modelers has been contagious to a level not seen before in this little city. Of course there always are few negative Nellie wash-woman that try to get in the way with their incessant BS but thankfully their numbers are dwindling comparatively and the hobby/sport grows exponentially. I think we have made it over the hump now.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:49 AM
STLPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have one question for DB, what do we as modelers have to hide? I mean he literally is asking his 160,000 members to withhold information from the media IN PUBLIC. Is he asking the safety code abiding, card carrying AMA members to give the "i don't know" approach or those YouTube knuckleheads that blow up model airplanes to withhold this secret information, who is he talking about?

If I'm Schummer the first thing I would want to see is this top secret fastest, highest, biggest, and furthest a model airplane ever flown, combined into a single model with all of those capabilities. That would sure be a heck of a model airplane! Yip, certainly Schummer would want to see this airplane so he could could tout it around the country on his tour bus and show America just how deadly these things can be. Since DB is asking members not to talk about these secret weapons of destruction, then there must be a whole fleet of them ready for terror deployment.

What's the point of withhold information THAT DOESN'T EXIST? AMA members don't have a SINGLE THING to hide, no matter how big, fast or how many pounds of TNT you can pack into a 55lb plane, the only thing that is dangerous is the idiot behind the wheel. Since when does the AMA represent the human mind??? Let's leave that to the National Head Shrink Society to deal with.

be very careful when talking to anyone from the media about the capabilities of model airplanes.
This is the funniest part...the capabilities. Certainly by now the media must know that the Wright Brothers were the first to pioneer powered flight and the rest of aviation history you can simply find on Wikipedia. Which capabilities that a reporter can't see is he talking about? I'm serious, I don't have a single clue, not joking.

First thing I'll withhold from the media, the name of the AMA President. Worst move I've ever seen him make. Heck, maybe Schummers right about everything, after all DB is the person behind the AMA's wheel.

Still think it's a good idea for the AMA to lobby in Washington there Hoss??? Putting the AMA ...errr the EC in Washington is like putting a bull in a china store and asking him to be nice. Schummer 1, AMA 0.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:41 AM
SSRCCPREZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi All,
below is alink of an article that was done for our club and has run in 7 local newspapers and has done miraculouse things for our club and our events. A good reporter can do wonders. We worked with this reporter for a straight month before this article was published. Read it and make your decision from there.

Thanks

http://www.townonline.com/bridgewate...age/x225116406
Old 08-28-2007, 09:56 AM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

I have one question for DB, what do we as modelers have to hide? I mean he literally is asking his 160,000 members to withhold information from the media IN PUBLIC. Is he asking the safety code abiding, card carrying AMA members to give the "i don't know" approach or those YouTube knuckleheads that blow up model airplanes to withhold this secret information, who is he talking about?

If I'm Schummer the first thing I would want to see is this top secret fastest, highest, biggest, and furthest a model airplane ever flown, combined into a single model with all of those capabilities. That would sure be a heck of a model airplane! Yip, certainly Schummer would want to see this airplane so he could could tout it around the country on his tour bus and show America just how deadly these things can be. Since DB is asking members not to talk about these secret weapons of destruction, then there must be a whole fleet of them ready for terror deployment.

What's the point of withhold information THAT DOESN'T EXIST? AMA members don't have a SINGLE THING to hide, no matter how big, fast or how many pounds of TNT you can pack into a 55lb plane, the only thing that is dangerous is the idiot behind the wheel. Since when does the AMA sponsor the human mind?

be very careful when talking to anyone from the media about the capabilities of model airplanes.
This is the funniest part...the capabilities. Certainly by now the media must know that the Wright Brothers were the first to pioneer powered flight and the rest of aviation history you can simply find on Wikipedia. Which capabilities is he talking about?

First thing I'll withhold from the media, the name of the AMA President. Worst move I've ever seen him make. Heck, maybe Schummers right about everything, after all DB is the person behind the AMA's wheel.

Still think it's a good idea for the AMA to lobby in Washington there Hoss??? Putting the AMA ...errr the EC in Washington is like putting a bull in a china store and asking him to be nice. Schummer 1, AMA 0.

STL, believe it or not, I GENERALLY agree with your post down to the last 2 paragraphs.

DB will no longer be the man behind the wheel. OR WILL HE??? Dave Mathewson will most likely be the next AMA President. For a while I had confidence that DM would be a breath of fresh air. That thought is gone. "One" can find a lot of information for developing a significant insight into how DM will react if "One" should study http://www.rcgroups.com/ama-presidential-nominees-490/ and notice the political double talk therein.
DB has a number of medical problems. While he can't physically handle the job any longer, I think he will be very good at dictating the maintenance of his previous policies.

YES, STL, I think it is a DARN GOOD position to be in, to BE ABLE TO LOBBY IN DC. The DOT and subservient organizations are subject to the whims of Congress which change with the $$$$ winds. That is why so many organizations are there with those $$$$ to assist the Congress in determining just which way the wind is blowing!!! [:-] [X(] [>:]

AMA may not be $$$$ able to really dictate wind direction, however sometimes even a small breeze can be effective. BTDT !!
Old 08-28-2007, 09:58 AM
STLPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Did anyone else think about Mr. Hand and Spicoli from Fast Times at Ridgemont High when reading DB's article?

Reporter: Mr. Brown I see you have some kind of large object next to you. It looks like some kind of giant bird made from wood. I noticed it has some kind of crude double sided weapon on the front held onto what appears to be a weed wacker engine. Tell me does that big object fly in the air?

DB: Geee Mr. Reporter, I don't know.

Reporter: Mr. Brown, as AMA President, would you say that you'll be remembered as the leader whom single handedly brought the AMA to it's maximum membership base and drove the AMA flawlessly right into the new millennium without any regrets?

DB: Geee Mr. Reporter, I don't know.

Is it just me or does DB think his members are not bright enough to answer simple questions about toy airplanes?

Here is a YouTube of the video clip for all you kids who don't remember that fine moment in Hollywood history. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4AZCnH4PYg
Old 08-28-2007, 12:17 PM
KidEpoxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

STL-
Wait a sec, are you for the AMA withholding info, or against it?
Seems you have developed some personal federal ban on not tallking to reporters about the club, yet stand fast behind your support of the No Termination Info For Steve Kaluf ama stand.

SO it is wrong for AMA to withhold info from reporters,
but it is right for AMA to withhold info from members?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service