AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

District V

Old 08-30-2007, 06:39 AM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default District V

I noticed several things over the last few months. There are a couple of events that happen within our district that might (arguably) be considered the biggest and best of their kind. They are Top Gun, and the Joe Nall. I also noticed that no mention was made of either in the District V report found within the pages of MA. There were several (at least 2) reports on the Joe Nall made by other DVP's. What is going on there? I attended every day of TOP GUN, and not once did I see anyone from the AMA in attendance. There were signs welcoming the AMA on the road leading to the parking area, but no AMA tent, or anything. Since I did not attend the Joe Nall, I don't know if the AMA had a tents set up there or not, but I find it strange that our DVP makes no mention of the event in the report. I did see that the AMA held a meeting at the Nall, so I guess that we (the AMA) were represented there.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-30-2007, 06:45 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: District V

My take is, those events get so much main stream coverage I'd rather see him use the column space on the average joe stuff.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:37 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

My take is, those events get so much main stream coverage I'd rather see him use the column space on the average joe stuff.
That is my take also. Think back what the column consisted of before the present DVP. [:'(]
Old 08-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

That is my take also. Think back what the column consisted of before the present DVP. [:'(]
Yes, I do remember what Jim normally put in there. Nothing but who voted for what...etc. Don't you think that the DVP would at least attend something such as Top Gun, or at least send an AVP to represent him? And shouldn't the AMA have representation at an event of such magnitude?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-30-2007, 07:49 AM
SSRCCPREZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmmm... Well, first I can tell you that te D1 VP was at Joe Nall, and I believe at Top Gun as wall, so that seems curious to me that there was no AMA tent. However, I can also tell you that generally speaking the letters from the DVP's have an earlier deadline for publication than that of some of the articles. I can ell you for an absolute fact that most of the DVP letters go in almost a whole month ahead of time. I do not know why, nor I profess to understand the inner wrokings of the AMA or magazine, but I have on several occassions been told that the deadline fo r these DVP letters is almost a month in advance.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:58 AM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As I stated in my first post, I saw mention of the Joe Nall by other DVP's, but nothing from the DVP from the district where the events took place. As to the time constraints, the other DVP's got it in their report, so why not Tony? I believe that if I were the DVP for the biggest scale event in the world (again arguably) I would make an effort to see that the AMA were represented, especially if the occurrance was in my district. Again, there were signs that Frank installed welcoming the AMA, but there was no AMA to welcome the model airplane enthusiasts that came to the event.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-30-2007, 08:04 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Again, there were signs that Frank installed welcoming the AMA, but there was no AMA to welcome the model airplane enthusiasts that came to the event.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
The model airplane enthusuasts ARE the AMA! Did you let Tony know how you felt about this?

Old 08-30-2007, 08:41 AM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Red,

I sent you a PM.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-30-2007, 09:50 AM
Dr1Driver

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As I stated in my first post, I saw mention of the Joe Nall by other DVP's, but nothing from the DVP from the district where the events took place. As to the time constraints, the other DVP's got it in their report, so why not Tony?

It's true that the AMA needs a much large presence at big events like Top Gun and Nall.

I attended the Centennial of Flight celebration at Kill Devil Hills in NC a few years ago and the AMA impact was pathetic. There was a small table in the back corner of a tent at the rear of the site. The Dist. IV VP informed me that they wouldn't allow R/C model demonstrations outside because of 911 worries (???). The ONLY R/C model even present was a small electric helicoptor being flown at the table in the tent. The DVP and his wife were handling the whole thing. The support by the AMA for this event was ridiculous. Granted, it was a celebration of full-scale planes, but the AMA should have been better represented.

As for where all the DVPs were at Top Gun and Nall, perhaps they were at the MANY events down in FL where everything seems to get full coverage in Dist. V.

All that being said, Tony is a great improvement over Mr. "I attended" who prceeded him. At least he puts pictures of planes in the column, not just who's who in the clubs.

Dr.1
Old 08-30-2007, 10:45 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Again, there were signs that Frank installed welcoming the AMA, but there was no AMA to welcome the model airplane enthusiasts that came to the event.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
I guess you missed this in August Model Aviation magazine.

View from HQ - Jim Cherry

If you have been involved in modeling for any length of time, Joe Nall in May is that event every aeromodeling enthusiast hears of and yearns to attend. I fell into that category until I finally made it to the 25th anniversary of the gathering at the Triple Tree Aerodrome in South Carolina. Located just southeast of Spartanburg, in the small community of Woodruff, it is within easy reach of many who live in the eastern states.

This event is open to AMA members. As stated on the Web site, spectators must be an AMA member, guest, or family member of an AMA member. The facility has to be one of the best flying sites in the nation; it has a runway built for full-scale aircraft and a huge lake to accommodate any size floatplane.

For many years the Academy has had a presence at the event, but this year for the first time we had a booth with items from the museum gift shop. AMA held a membership meeting and approximately 250 members attended. The AMA-sponsored hotdog supper that followed helped attendance and made for a short business meeting.

A special thanks to our host Pat Hartness for accommodating the Academy and providing the PA system and chairs for the meeting. It was presided over by Doug Holland, AMA's executive vice president. (Dave Brown, AMA's president, was recovering from back surgery and unable to attend.) Six district vice presidents were also in attendance.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:04 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nope, Red, i didn't miss that. It looks as if our DVP did, since he chose not to make any statement regarding Nall in his monthly statement found in the back pages of MA. Where were the AMA DVP's and Mr. Cherry for TOP GUN?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-30-2007, 03:34 PM
BarracudaHockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Top Gun AFAIK isn't even an AMA sanctioned event.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:48 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Top Gun AFAIK isn't even an AMA sanctioned event.
Top Gun is an invitational event with flying and scale judging under its own unique rules. It is a AMA sanctioned class B event.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:28 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To clarify what I was originally asking...What I wondered is why two DVP's from other districts reported on an AMA activity that happened in District V, and our own DVP had nothing to say concerning the one activity, while virtually everyone was silent regarding the other. It should not matter if it is a class B event, or even a class D event, but when it's the biggest one in the world for Scale Model Aircraft, you would think that the AMA would not let it pass unnoticed. It is kind of a slap in the face.

As I said, there was signage welcoming the AMA to the event, but the AMA was a no-show. We may be the AMA, but those whom we elect, and those who's salary is paid by us, should be there to represent us at an event of this magnitude. I hope that there is agreement on that statement. It does not matter what Jim McNeil did or did not do, this is a different DVP that we are talking about, and I feel that either he, or one of the Associate Vice Presidents should have been in attendance.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I spoke with one of the members of the Executive Council a few weeks ago and he mentioned that him and several other AMA officials were at the Joe Nall.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To clarify what I was originally asking...What I wondered is why two DVP's from other districts reported on an AMA activity that happened in District V, and our own DVP had nothing to say concerning the one activity, while virtually everyone was silent regarding the other. It should not matter if it is a class B event, or even a class D event, but when it's the biggest one in the world for Scale Model Aircraft, you would think that the AMA would not let it pass unnoticed. It is kind of a slap in the face.

As I said, there was signage welcoming the AMA to the event, but the AMA was a no-show. We may be the AMA, but those whom we elect, and those who's salary is paid by us, should be there to represent us at an event of this magnitude. I hope that there is agreement on that statement. It does not matter what Jim McNeil did or did not do, this is a different DVP that we are talking about, and I feel that either he, or one of the Associate Vice Presidents should have been in attendance.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Well apparently they weren't - You will just have to get over it, or tell your DVP that you would like to represent the AMA at the next one. [:-]
Old 08-30-2007, 05:03 PM
BarracudaHockey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ah thanks Red. I wasn't 100 percent sure how they did it or if they pulled a sanction for it given the unique rules and the international invitations.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:21 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well apparently they weren't - You will just have to get over it, or tell your DVP that you would like to represent the AMA at the next one. [:-]
Red,

This is not what I have come to expect from you. You need to learn some anger management. After all, you are a moderator, and if you can't conduct yourself as one, then let soneone else do the job. This is a B_ _ L S __ _ _ answer. I expected better from you. and No, I have no desire to be the AMA representative at this event, I am too busy working at the event to do justice to it.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-30-2007, 05:36 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Red,

This is not what I have come to expect from you. You need to learn some anger management. After all, you are a moderator, and if you can't conduct yourself as one, then let soneone else do the job. This is a B_ _ L S __ _ _ answer. I expected better from you. and No, I have no desire to be the AMA representative at this event, I am too busy working at the event to do justice to it.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Funny, how real it becomes when directed at you. I and others have noticed the behavior many times.[&o]
Old 08-30-2007, 09:45 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Has anyone submitted anything on the Joe Nall event? If so, why wasn't it published? Hummmm, maybe no one submitted anything....that would explain why nothing was published.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:05 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actually, there has been quite a lot published on the Joe Nall. Just that nothing was ever mentioned by the DVP in whose District these events transpired. I thought that was a little odd. There were statements made by at least 2 other DVP's from other Districts, concerning the Nall event, but nairy a word about Top Gun, nor were there any AMA Representatives in evidence (other than those who were working at the event, or flying in the event). As I said before, on the road into the event were signs welcoming all the sponsors, as well as welcoming the AMA. There was no booth, or tent representing the AMA to all the spectators (not all of whom were Model builders/flyers) in order to generate additional members who might have joined on the spot, or at least provided educational information to prospective members.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-31-2007, 07:05 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Has anyone submitted anything on the Joe Nall event? If so, why wasn't it published? Hummmm, maybe no one submitted anything....that would explain why nothing was published.
Yes, There are 8 pages dedicated to it in September Model Aviation, 28 colored pictures. Knowing that it was covered, perhaps our DVP felt it better to dedicate his one page to other events in the district.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:32 AM
JUGFLIER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: tailskid

Yes, There are 8 pages dedicated to it in September Model Aviation, 28 colored pictures. Knowing that it was covered, perhaps our DVP felt it better to dedicate his one page to other events in the district.

Ihave to say i'm with Red on this one. Dist 5 is quite large and spread out and hard for one man to be everywhere. I can also say that the Dist 5 section in the AMA mag is a lot better than it used to be. One of the things that exites me is we are having a Dist 5 jamboree within 1 hours drive of my house. I am really looking forward to being there, and meeting people from around our district.