Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Members, YOU will be FAMOUS:

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Members, YOU will be FAMOUS:

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:25 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AMA Members, YOU will be FAMOUS:

You just gotta' read this one. Actually it's a good thing, because when I again run for office, I can contact most AMA Members on a 1 on 1 basis. _ell, I might even get more than one vote.

[link]http://www.modelaircraft.org/promos/Harris.aspx[/link]

<Moderator - edited to fix link>
Old 09-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA Members, YOU will be FAMOUS:

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

You just gotta' read this one. Actually it's a good thing, because when I again run for office, I can contact most AMA Members on a 1 on 1 basis. _ell, I might even get more than one vote.

[link]http://www.modelaircraft.org/promos/Harris.aspx[/link]

<Moderator - edited to fix link>
One slight change however. You will have to send in the form if you WANT to be listed. If you do nothing, you will NOT be listed. My DVP said that automatically listing unless you opt out by responding is NOT what the EC approved. YOU HAVE TO RESPOND TO BE LISTED.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:57 AM
KidEpoxy

hmmm, thats too bad.

The way I see it, we should have made the listing Auto, and make the Opt Out part of the AMA ballot, like printed on back or something.
Voter Turnout would go thru the roof for a change.
Old 09-28-2007, 12:03 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Normally I don't get involved in the discussions here, but I'll jump in here to help clear this up. The way I read it is that if you DON'T want your name listed you have to send the form in checked to not be listed.
If they don’t want to be listed, all they have to do is check that option on the form and return it.
Doesn't that mean that they will be listed unless they send in the form telling AMA to not list them??

Ken
Old 09-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Normally I don't get involved in the discussions here, but I'll jump in here to help clear this up. The way I read it is that if you DON'T want your name listed you have to send the form in checked to not be listed.
If they don’t want to be listed, all they have to do is check that option on the form and return it.
Doesn't that mean that they will be listed unless they send in the form telling AMA to not list them??

Ken
Yes, Ken, that is what the WEB site says. OTOH Red says that is was not approved that way but 180* opposite. Wanna' take bets on the final outcome?
Who will research the EC minutes to find out just HOW the EC approved such program?
Old 09-28-2007, 12:50 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

ORIGINAL: RCKen

Ken
Yes, Ken, that is what the WEB site says. OTOH Red says that is was not approved that way but 180* opposite. Wanna' take bets on the final outcome?
Who will research the EC minutes to find out just HOW the EC approved such program?

Thanks Hoss.

Ken
Old 09-28-2007, 12:51 PM
Liberator

Yup Hoss is right, it is an almost certainty that you WILL be listed unless you check the box.

So if your in the United States witness protection program AND you fly RC planes, get ready for the cement galoshes.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

This is all I could find in searching the AMA EC minutes:

From EC Minutes 7/16/2006

T. Schwyn reported on a potential partner for a non-dues revenue program. The partners name is Harris Publishing and the project would be a type of directory. They would gather information where it is provided by the member (only adult AMA members, no youth) and tabulate it in the form of a directory. Schwyn then explained their method of communication (snail mail, then email, and lastly a phone call) and how often the member would be contacted. If a member at any time declined to participate, they would not be contacted a second time. Harris’ list of AMA members could only be used for this contractual piece under the parameters that have been set unless AMA enters into another contract with them. Schwyn made it clear however, that these directories are typically updated every three years or so, and if a member subscribed to the directory they would be solicited again with an update version. Members who would be solicited include those whose information appears in the directory and those who purchased the directory. Cost of the directory is $69.95 (printed version) and $59.95 (CD version). The EC had some concerns over the information that would be contained in the directory and instructed Schwyn to go back to Harris for some type of guarantee that would prevent other entities from using our member’s information.
The President suggested that once the additional information is gathered from Harris, any Council member may request a mail/email vote of Council. He then recommended that this be done via conference call (which would not require a 2/3 majority).

October 14-15 2006
Motion VII: Moved and seconded to proceed with the Harris Affinity Program as presented by T. Schwyn at the previous meeting.

Jan 16, 2007
Harris Connect partnership—the contract negotiated was for AMA to receive 40k up front whether they sold one book or not; first contact will be made by Harris late in the second quarter. A heads-up communiqué will be published in Model Aviation and on the Web site prior to contact by Harris.
Old 09-28-2007, 05:45 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All of us are already on the Harris list in one catagory or another.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:16 PM
JUGFLIER

Help me for minute guys, while i try to weigh this out. AMA members are going to have their names and info put into a book or some kind of list. This list will be offered for sale to whom? The membership or people interested in doing telemarketing? Yes i saw the part in Red's last post
The EC had some concerns over the information that would be contained in the directory and instructed Schwyn to go back to Harris for some type of guarantee that would prevent other entities from using our member’s information.
I hope this means that the info would only reside within the AMA ranks. I really would not want my name and info on a list that will be sold and resold to various tele-marketing firms.

I am not bashing AMA, just asking for clarification.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:03 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

My name and information is proprietary. I charge a minimum fee of 200 dollars for name and address. 500 with phone number and 750 with email. I due occasionally waive the fees, but not without permission.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:11 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: JUGFLIER

Help me for minute guys, while i try to weigh this out. AMA members are going to have their names and info put into a book or some kind of list. This list will be offered for sale to whom? The membership or people interested in doing telemarketing? <snip>. I hope this means that the info would only reside within the AMA ranks. I really would not want my name and info on a list that will be sold and resold to various tele-marketing firms.

Jug, I hear you but how much would you be willing to trust to 'hope' in the part I highlighted? And why would you be unconcerned if it could/did stay within the AMA ranks? I don't know what could possibly motivate me to buy this thing, or have so much as my shoe size listed in it. There are some people within AMA that have some weird fringe hobbies, too. I expect they would be the ones to buy the 2 or 3 copies of this list that will be sold.

Abel
Old 09-28-2007, 11:56 PM
AERORICH73

Hey PilotFighter, did you see that AMA was getting 40k for this stunt? Why would a member want to spend $59.95, or 69.95 for a copy of the list. I am with you on this new spin by the AMA. Heck, I can print my name at home in any size or color if it would make me feel more important. I believe the AMA should get more aggressive about saving flying sites than getting money from selling member's names, etc.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:34 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

OK, I am going to take a few deep breaths and try to say this in a manner that does not support the contention that I am an anti-AMA. Here goes…

What the hell are they thinking! That is one of the most hair-brained Lucy schemes ever. Just raise the dang membership fee to $60 and dispense with all these BS scams already. That would net at least another 100Gs maybe 200+.

I think I did a good job…now I feel much better… keeping my composure instead of going off.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:37 AM
KidEpoxy

It would generate far more income for AMA if we charge $1 to be kept off
Old 09-29-2007, 04:03 PM
vicman

Kid, While not brain surgery you can check the box for free.[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 09-29-2007, 04:09 PM
KidEpoxy

Vic-
My $1 Keep Off was a proposal

The list will make the AMA $40k
You may make more money by charging $1 to be kept off instead... unlisted phones cost more
Old 09-29-2007, 07:25 PM
JUGFLIER

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Vic-
My $1 Keep Off was a proposal

The list will make the AMA $40k
You may make more money by charging $1 to be kept off instead... unlisted phones cost more

That would make a GREAT thread here on RCU.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:25 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

That's kind of like blackmail... Send me $1 or I'll put your name on the list
Old 09-29-2007, 08:36 PM
vicman

I can only imagine the whinning that would happen with that option
Shoot I have begun to put towels around my computer to absorb the tears that are let when we go to $60, like that two bucks will keep every kid and modeler on a budget from affording that latest ARF, club dues, or fuel for the family truckster to get out to a club that lets them fly their tiered lekky.[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 09-29-2007, 08:57 PM
Newc

For what it's worth, here's an email that I just sent to our Executive Director, Cherry...

"I have not received any communications from AMA regarding the plans to forward any of my personal information to an outside organization as is mentioned in http://www.modelaircraft.org/promos/Harris.aspx. If my name is given to ANY outside agency without my explicit authorization you and AMA will be individually and severally responsible and liable for any litigation I care to initiate against you and/or AMA.

You are specifically not authorized - and required to not provide - any information regarding me to any organization or individuals beyond AMA membership agreements in place when I joined."

Newc
Old 09-29-2007, 09:08 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dues will be going up NEWC is going to get them in court!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2007, 09:54 PM
Jim Thomerson

I'm on more or less available membership lists of three organizations (not the AMA). I quit one plant hobby group because they did not publish a membership list. Reason was that if other members found out where you lived, they would come and steal your most prized plants. I'm no longer a member. [&o]
Old 09-30-2007, 07:23 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

hmmm, thats too bad.

The way I see it, we should have made the listing Auto, and make the Opt Out part of the AMA ballot, like printed on back or something.
Voter Turnout would go thru the roof for a change.

Kid, that is actually a good idea!

Old 09-30-2007, 12:12 PM
Hossfly

FYI, there are things happening about this item. I have been informed that Mr. Cherry is spending a considerable amount of time on the telephone reference this item while on the road to attend an important RC Event this weekend.

The popcorn must be a poppin' ! That's OK with me.

OTOH I might like to know where AMA members are as I also travel a bit. Of course I agree that the member should have the right to Opt-IN rather than be required to Opt-out. My informer agrees to that concept, or maybe I should say I agree with the informer since he stated such to me, before I made any statement. At this minute, it all sounds good to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.