Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Airborne weaponry

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Airborne weaponry

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Sir_Benchalot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airborne weaponry

I visited the AMA's website some time ago and read that firing projectiles from planes is illegal.
Well, here is why I have brought up new this subject. I am a beginner with BIG ideas. I know I need to start small but, I recently saw a picture of a jet turban model firing two miniature missiles at approx. 1 ft. off the ground. Are there licenses reqiured for this kind of thing? Did I miss that part of information on there web site? I don't remember seeing any such exceptions.
Someone please fill me in.
Thanks

~Sir_Benchalot~
Old 10-16-2007, 08:20 PM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Airborne weaponry

That is definetly illegal by AMA rules, that being said you can do anything you want to do just not at an AMA sanctioned field.
That being said if you do any thing you want to IT WON'T BE LONG BEFOR YOU WON'T BE ALOWED TO FLY YOUR PLANE ANYMORE.
The goverment will step in and outlaw any remote controlled vehickles.
If we screw up it will all go away so please don't scerwup my hobby I like flying airplanes altho you might think by the noumber of chrashes
I have I just like destroying them,
Old 10-16-2007, 08:57 PM
cutaway

AMA general rule #8 prohibits this...even compressed air powered stuff. You can't "propel" anything.

You could drop light weight fake bombs since they're not "propelled".
Old 10-16-2007, 11:35 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The picture you describe was on the manual that came with the comp arf kangaroo
kit, i dont know where the photo was taken but it was probably outside the USA.

As has been previously stated the AMA says you cant do it but if you are make
sure you are takeing proper precations as you dont want to draw attention to
yourself.In short dont do it a AMA field and or when people are around that
object to what you are doing. And most of all always be safe if you put a projectlle
on a model and it caused property damage or hurt someone you probably will never
here the last of it.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:48 AM
KidEpoxy

I've got a great tangent to gripe RE: Rockets from Planes,
but I'm gonna wait a day or two to let this topic get decent coverage before starting new fights over rule application.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:27 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Your answer is no, it's not illegal. There is also no rule set forth against it by the AMA. The AMA doesn't make rules, they only provide insurance as long as you act within their safety code. Also the AMA cannot tell you what you can and cannot do at your field, even if it's an AMA chartered club field.

Some people, mostly the ones listed above, has some funny idea that the AMA has more of hold on this hobby then they think they do.

My suggestion to you is that if you have a group of people in your club that want to do this, form a new charter at your club. This will protect your AMA charter, seeing the AMA will not cover you for this activity and could jeopardize your charter.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:12 AM
gunfighter

Despite STL's "Proclomation from the Mount" what you propose is against the AMA safety CODE. If performed at a field controlled by an AMA chartered club, the club could loose it's insurance and charter.

On top of that, the press would have a field day if they heard about it and we would all be pertrayed as "Terrorists with deadly rockets"!
Old 10-17-2007, 08:37 AM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: gunfighter

Despite STL's "Proclomation from the Mount" what you propose is against the AMA safety CODE. If performed at a field controlled by an AMA chartered club, the club could loose it's insurance and charter.

On top of that, the press would have a field day if they heard about it and we would all be pertrayed as "Terrorists with deadly rockets"!
This is why I suggested for him to form a new charter and he'll be able to do whatever he wants at his field. Post #2 was quite a bit off as their are no AMA sanctioned fields, only chartered clubs, which are people, not fields.

The OP was wondering if air to air was illegal, I'm sure the guy can read plain English in regards to the code. He also wanted to know if a license could/would be needed as well and the answer is no, to that question as well. Unless he's going to do some deer hunting with it.

And as a sidenote to the OP, the AMA does encourage and will insure the shooting of any projectiles at RC aircraft, ground to air, as long as you do it in a "safe manner". So aim for the airplane, not the audience. And if it goes out of control on the way down after it's been hit, yell "four" at the top of your lungs. So at least you have that going for you if you need to shoot something out of the sky. Oh and the press would never have a field day with this activity?!?!
Old 10-17-2007, 09:32 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: STLPilot
This is why I suggested for him to run a dual charter and he'll be able to do whatever he wants at his field.
Can you share with me what this is?? Dual Charter??

Perhaps this may help clarify the issue of Dual Charters: http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-Files/909.pdf
Old 10-17-2007, 09:42 AM
STLPilot

Having more then 1 named chartered club utilizing the same site. I've seen sites with as many as 5-6 chartered clubs co-existing on the same flying site, it's up to the owner of the site. They can all be AMA chartered clubs, or a mix of privatley held chartered clubs or all of each. They can share the flying site at the same time, or they can reserve the use of the field at specific times and days.

The AMA does allow co-exisiting with other charters. They do not frown upon it and actually have no say in the matter. Reason being is that if the AMA did control your club and your field, they would also share the liability that goes with it above and beyond what they currently hold as an AMA chartered club.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:12 AM
Silent-AV8R

What you describe is NOT a "dual charter" which implies that the organization (club) is chartered by two bodies. I completely understand sharing sites. We have the Sepulveda Basin site out here where there are three AMA clubs and the general public all using the same field.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sir_Benchalot
... I am a beginner with BIG ideas. I know I need to start small but, I recently saw a picture of a jet turban model firing two miniature missiles at approx. 1 ft. off the ground. ...
Other than the normal argueing that goes unchecked on this forum, is anybody going to ask what are these BIG ideas that the newbie is asking? Did you all read the title? It says weaponry, not 4th of July rockets.

I know that he's taking the right path by asking the question here, but you always have to wonder....

The last thing we need is a local newscast putting a newbie on the spotlight becasue he caused an accident by shooting something out of an RC aircraft.

I say do not encourage such behavior. Illegal or not. I'm sure it will become illegal after the first incident.

Rafael
Old 10-17-2007, 10:20 AM
STLPilot

Gotcha, fixed it. Just don't want to let the OP know that AMA has more control over his hobby, they they really do.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:24 AM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: Rafael23cc
The last thing we need is a local newscast putting a newbie on the spotlight becasue he caused an accident by shooting something out of an RC aircraft.
Well what about shooting at RC aircraft? How will the public handle that AMA approved and endorsed accident, when it happens? Afterall that's just a scaled version of shooting down a 747 taking off from JFK. How would air to air be any more poorly viewed by the "spotlight".
Old 10-17-2007, 10:58 AM
gunfighter

There is no way to argue with someone that twists reality to suit him self. I will not even try.

To the OP - The activity you describe is not legal at any field controlled or frequented by an AMA chartered club. There is no such thing as a "Dual charter". Multiple clubs can occupy the same field but all are bound by the AMA safety code if they are AMA chartered clubs.

Outside of a field operated by an AMA chartered club, you are free to do what you wish. However, please be responsible and do not jepardize our sport by bringing unfavorable media attention on all of model aviation.

Placing an actual "weapon" i. e. guns etc. on an aircraft may put you at odds with local, county, state and Federal law enforcement agencies!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:10 AM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: gunfighter
To the OP - The activity you describe is not legal at any field controlled or frequented by an AMA chartered club. There is no such thing as a "Dual charter". Multiple clubs can occupy the same field but all are bound by the AMA safety code if they are AMA chartered clubs.
Right, as I suggested all the OP has to do is form a new club charter and they can do whatever they want, including air to air utilizing the same site the AMA chartered club uses and he's home free.

Outside of a field operated by an AMA chartered club, you are free to do what you wish.
Unless that field holds a charter other then an AMA. A charter can be put together on an index card. The AMA is not the monopoly which some may tend to believe.

OP, looking forward to the videos!

Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 AM
Rafael23cc

Well what about shooting at RC aircraft? How will the public handle that AMA approved and endorsed accident, when it happens? Afterall that's just a scaled version of shooting down a 747 taking out of JFK. How would air to air be any more poorly viewed by the "spotlight".
If you are trying to twist what I say for the sake of argueing, you are failing miserably. Whoever catches this line and sinker is more naive that you are.

I expressed my opinion and concerns. I'm off to do something useful somewhere else. Argueing here about dual charter and illegal or not, is not something useful.

Rafael
Old 10-17-2007, 11:32 AM
KidEpoxy

Sir Benchalot

AMA members follow AMA rules, rules for what individuals can/cant do as well as rules for clubs & clubs use of fields. What you want to do is not allowed within the AMA rules for folks in the ama.

That is the part you will probably need to look at.
AMA rules govern AMA members & AMA clubs, they are not Local/State/Fed laws that apply to all persons standing on US soil. If you truely wanted to pursue this endeavor, I suggest you try the Scratch Build / Warbird / Spad forums to get non-ama folks to help you persue non-ama activities. WHile many there will quickly point out the AMA rules about it (which you could discount if you are not a member), those forums would be the place for chatting non-ama/ama-forbidden activities. RCU is not just for AMA members, as well as not just US folks, this is just the little AMA corner at the giant RCU

DO take & post lots of pics of whatever you end up building in one of those threads
Old 10-17-2007, 11:44 AM
cutaway

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy
DO take & post lots of pics of whatever you end up building in one of those threads
So the media can swipe them and beat up everyone with them of course right?. Smooth, real smooth.

Anyone who wants to put weaponry in a model needs to go to work for a company producing/designing UAVs.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:11 PM
KidEpoxy

Cutaway
I have seen the video on the internet with the FULL-AUTO shotgun firing autonomous/rc on a RC/autonomous helicopter.
I have not seen that on TV.
Where is this evil media monster you warn us of? Why hasnt that stoped RC aviation in its tracks.
HolyCow man, a full auto shotgun that flys up to the 747 pilots face & then unloads from 5' away, and you are afraid the media will focus on a guy putting some 1/4a rockets on his bird?

How many times have we all seen the anti-gun US media showing that RC Helicoper Shotgun on TV.
That is the perfect posterchild for what you are talking about, and they hevent done it... yet
Old 10-17-2007, 01:03 PM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: cutaway
Anyone who wants to put weaponry in a model needs to go to work for a company producing/designing UAVs.
This is the way I thought until the AMA came around and said they supported shooting projectiles directly at RC aircraft, not too much of a difference really. However i say if you can't beat em join em. Just because the AMA won't insure the activity doesn't mean you can't have your own home brewed fun. I mean do you not play poker with your buddies? You do realize that is illegal, don't you? But we do it anyway, cause it's fun to do.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:20 PM
Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy
Cutaway
I have seen the video on the internet with the FULL-AUTO shotgun firing autonomous/rc on a RC/autonomous helicopter.
I have not seen that on TV.
Where is this evil media monster you warn us of? Why hasnt that stoped RC aviation in its tracks.
The difference might be that the RC helicopter with the shotgun was a DOD (Department of Defense) endorsed project. And the video was released under the State's Department approval.

Read about from the owner of the company:
[link]http://runryder.com/helicopter/t237446p1/[/link]

More here:
[link]http://runryder.com/helicopter/t239498p1/[/link]

What am I doing? I vowed to steer clear of the remainder of this thread, doing something useful. Oh, I know, rumors are attempting to be started, and on top of that about a helicopter.

Going back to doing something useful, not stirring the pot to make the $#!t stink. OR encouraging unsafe behavior.

Rafael
Old 10-17-2007, 01:22 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

I mean do you not play poker with your buddies? You do realize that is illegal, don't you? But we do it anyway, cause it's fun to do.
Now I am beginning to understand you. You feel it is fine to have all kinds of rules but then just ignore them. This is where you and I differ...I know we should just get rid of BS rules and all the BS problems simply go away.

Some rules are absolutely necessary but most are subjectively or ignorantly imposed.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:41 PM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

I mean do you not play poker with your buddies? You do realize that is illegal, don't you? But we do it anyway, cause it's fun to do.
Now I am beginning to understand you. You feel it is fine to have all kinds of rules but then just ignore them. This is where you and I differ...I know we should just get rid of BS rules and all the BS problems simply go away.

Some rules are absolutely necessary but most are subjectively or ignorantly imposed.
Good point. Funny thing there is no rule or law that I know of in regards to shooting projectiles from radio controlled aircraft. The AMA doesn't make rules, they charter clubs and provide guidelines for their insurance policy.

What you call AMA "rules" would be like your car insurance company telling you cannot speed in your car.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:06 PM
KidEpoxy

Raf-
you are accrediting the media with letting truth & fact sway their reports.
This is the same media that said the DC Sniper was taking long range shots,
that the 50bmg has no sporting purpose
(Sport: launch a projectile to hit 3" targets 200-400yd away in the fewest shots... Golf or Shooting?),
and will happily report 5000 children a day are hurt in the US by GunViolence.

They love nothing more than to show 3 seconds of a 6 minute video to grab the few frames out of context of Toy Helicopters that can be bought by anyone and can carry dangerous assault weapons over schools (in their language, even a revolver is an assault weapon)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.