Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is it politicaly incorrect to enjoy Model Aviation

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Is it politicaly incorrect to enjoy Model Aviation

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 04:41 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Is it politicaly incorrect to enjoy Model Aviation

It would appear so in these forums. Am I the only one of 170,000 odd members who actually enjoys, appreciate and reads it from cover to cover? Does no one else out there read columns about facets of the sport they are not involved in because it truly is interesting (shoot maybe even educational)?
You mean nobody reads even district reports you don,t live in because your are afraid you might broaden your horizons? Do most of you only attend regional events that you only know about by hearsay, because nobody else publishes a national calender?

Well If bashing the magazine because its the politically correct thing to do (possibly without ever having really read it by some). Then I am glad to be an outcast whos even considers it a free bonus And yes I do read most of the others to!

John
Old 03-28-2003, 05:25 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well John make room for me as i also read the magazine and when I am done with it I send it to my good friend and Godfather in Australia as loves it.
Old 03-28-2003, 05:42 AM
hanna
My Feedback: (3)

I also read and enjoy from cover to cover. Model Aviation, Flying Models, and RC Report are required reads for me. I bought my last Model Airplane News about 3 months ago. All arf's all the time is what it appears to have become. At the top of my list is Model Aviation. Mike Krizan
Old 03-28-2003, 01:31 PM
Rich-RCU

I pretty much read all of Model Aviation. I also enjoy and subscribe to Flying Models, Model Airplane News and RC Modeler. Occasionaly will glance at RC Report at the newstand. At least Model Aviation has a decent size printed plan to study. Times have changed.

Rich
Old 03-28-2003, 02:02 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default MA

Nope, count me in too. Maybe not cover to cover, I only read the heli stuff once in a while and just can't seem to get any interest in the rubber FF columns, but read just about everything else.
I think Bob Hunt has done some really good things with the magazine in the last couple of years.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:22 PM
Rich-RCU

Default Re: MA

Originally posted by s3nfo
just can't seem to get any interest in the rubber FF columns
If you want to be humbled, try rubber FF. I think all the skills for modeling are required to successfully fly rubber FF.

Rich
Old 03-28-2003, 03:07 PM
mikegordon

At one time I suscribed to MAN, RCM, MA and RC Report. Now the only ones that come in the mail are RC Report & MA. I would want Model Aviation even if it wasn't just part of my AMA Membership. There's a lot of good stuff in there, some of it you have to weed out but at least your not weeding it out from all the Ads. RC Report is #1 in my book followed closely behind by AMA's rag.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:34 AM
Live Wire

I posted 18 through 21 to show where some of our dues go. I read the MAG the day I get it . The las is one of the best that I have received in a long time. May be thing thing are changing. To much stress is put on insurance. Many make a big deal out of it which people take to an extreme. Enjoy the MAG and realize that RC is not dangerous the one flying can or can not make it that way.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:03 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Include me as a 'reader' of MA....they have some excellent columnist....too bad they aren't appreciated more!

Jerry
Old 03-30-2003, 01:15 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, forty eight hours now and I count nine who prefer not follow the rest of the flock to the to the shearing pens.

All is not lost, keep up the good work AMA publishing department.

John
Old 03-30-2003, 05:07 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

John:

I don't often come into this section, but since I've found this thread I'll enter my subscription list:

Model Aviation.
Model Airplane News.
R/C Report.
R/C Modeler.

And I read them all.

Bill.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:18 AM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John: I have been a member of AMA since 1941 - with no breaks in that time period. In the olden days, I attended many of the national meets across the country, and I have never had or found an occassion where I wanted to bash the AMA. I, for one, am appreciative of the fact that without them, I wouldn't have enjoyed this hobby for the past 62 years. But let me comment in another way on Model Aviation magazine.

In 1975 I purchased the first Quadra engine sold in the US, and became the first Quadra dealer in the US shortly thereafter. I opened a mail-order business selling the first giant scale products to be marketed worldwide. For a couple of years I advertised in R/C Modeler, MAN, and in Model Aviation. Then it hit me that all of the guys in our club read Model Aviation, whereas only a small percentage subscribed to the other two magazines. I figured, therefore, that probably held true all over the country - so I did an experiment. I stopped the ads in the other two magazines, and closely watched the incoming orders. Know what - dropping those ads had no effect on my business, and I was able to save a couple-hundred bucks every month. There's a few who toss the magazine when they get it, but I am convinced that there are a lot more that read both the articles and the ads, and they are the future of this hobby.

Long live the AMA.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:56 PM
P-51B

Well, I guess that explains it.

Being one who likes to utilize his brain, I have never been one to agree with political correctness .

I guess thats why I like MA.
Old 04-02-2003, 04:45 AM
Digger-RCU

I love the Mag. I look forward to it and read most if not all of it. If I didnt get it with my membership, I would buy it!

Count me in!

Randy (Digger) Birt
Old 04-02-2003, 06:55 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by P-51B
Being one who likes to utilize his brain, I have never been one to agree with political correctness .I guess thats why I like MA.
Is this to suggest that those who don't like MA, or who think it is a waste of paper aren't using their brains? I guess that fits with the "rah, rah...MA!" flavor of this thread, though a bit childishly.

I first joined AMA because I had to. If you want to fly at the local field you need an AMA membership. If I hadn't needed to join, at this point I would have anyway. We, as a modeling community, need to have a national voice when it comes to such things as frequencies, and possibly restrictions on our hobby. Though Muncie is way out of touch when it come to turbine powerplants (what other part of the hobby requires a special waiver process, with a large, out-of-date questionnaire and demonstration flights?).

That being said, I find that MA is something I take to work and read at 3 in the morning when I am working overnight shifts. I try and read the president's blather and some of the other official stuff. I read most things that have to with jets. I skip the 14 columns on CL and FF.(?!) They all start off with "The 94th annual CL festival was held this year at the intersection of Fifth and Elm in Nowheresville Indiana, attendance was down from previous years, but the 5 people who did show up had a great time...."

I realize that AMA was not started by R/C enthusiasts, it is however, the overwhelming majority of it's members current involvement in the hobby. While most (all?) of the ads in MA are for R/C related stuff, the articles reflect differently...what does that tell you? I enjoy all facets of aviation, but reading about the latest advances in control-line wire is not one of them.

MA is a necessary part of the AMA organization as AMA must keep the membership informed of organizational happenings. As long as the ads in MA pay for the magazine, and it serves it's purpose (informational to the membership) I have no problem with it's publication, even if I only read about 20% of it. Strangely....I can't get enough of the pictures of people with their airplanes in the front of the magazine.......weird.

Cover-to-cover? No.

I get:

Radio Control Jets International (great)
MAN, won't renew

With RCU, print is becoming dated and superfluous.

BTW, the microhenrys are the least amusing cartoon this side of Cathy.

Bob
Old 04-02-2003, 04:18 PM
FLYBOY

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't read it cover to cover, but I don't mind it. I like some of the articles in it and I glance throught the rest.

Geez, its a flying magazine. How could you not like it?
Old 04-02-2003, 10:08 PM
Gordon Mc

Originally posted by sideshow
I find that MA is something I take to work and read at 3 in the morning when I am working overnight shifts.

Hey Bob...

Maybe the above explains why I don't read MA anymore... I don't start work until about 6 am

Maybe if you'd take your Bobcat manual to work instead of the MA, you'd have the airplane finished by now ?

BTW - from the last figures I saw, the ads don't actually pay for the mag, but they do reduce the amount to which our dues have to subsidize the mag. J_R published some of the costs here a while ago, IIRC.

Go shoot some paint, would ya ?

Gordon
Old 04-02-2003, 10:45 PM
Bill Vargas

Default AMA Mag

The AMA Mag is cool (Dec 2002 issue),,, especially when you get a pic of yourself with others in it

BV
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	67690_1612.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	40458  
Old 04-03-2003, 02:14 AM
P-51B

Originally posted by sideshow
Is this to suggest that those who don't like MA, or who think it is a waste of paper aren't using their brains? I guess that fits with the "rah, rah...MA!" flavor of this thread, though a bit childishly.

Bob
Let's see the reference was using a brain to not being politically correct. The thread was about "is it politically incorrect to enjoy Model Aviation". So, by not being politically correct, I guess I can keep enjoying the magazine.

If you would like to make other inferences, I guess you are free to do what you want...even a bit childishly!
Old 04-03-2003, 02:36 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

that is a prety cryptic refrence 51. i can see where folks might get a little BOS trying to figure it out.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:35 AM
sideshow

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by P-51B
Well, I guess that explains it.

Being one who likes to utilize his brain, I have never been one to agree with political correctness .

I guess thats why I like MA.

*sigh*

Actually, the way it reads, your implication was that those who have brains like MA.

If a=b, and b=c, then a=c (a being "have brain"; c being "like MA" )

Hence my inference. Whether or not that was your intention is immaterial. I think a denial would be a little disingenuous though I don't think you intended to come across childishly....it just did.

Gordon, is the SB done yet? That's what I thought!

Reading the stupid manual will not put color on the airframe! I will get some more painting done this weekend. I might need to come down and take a look at yours. I need to deliver your paint anyway.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:49 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Its getting better, no offense, but it seemed like every issue was about rubber power, free flight, old timers, or Jets over Deland. It seemed like it was hard to tell the February 2000 issue from the February 1999.
A few years ago AMA had a survey on what we would like to see in MA, it seemed to have worked. There is more coverage of all aspects of modeling, and the advertising is also more diversified.
I really like the readers gallery where readers sent in pics of their planes.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:24 PM
NitroWoman

Default Like MA?????

I absolutely detest Model Aviation magazine. There is absolutely no coverage of Giant Scale Turbine Powered Blimp Racing and that is the only thing in the world worth being interested in. I only get it because the AMA holds a gun to my head and forces me to have it. I hope ya'all recognize sarcasm when ya see it. This thread reminds me of others that are along the same line and the above sarcasm is very similar to what the MA bashers had to say. I think MA is a great Mag. and I read it cover to cover.
Old 04-29-2003, 05:49 PM
rcflier_gi
My Feedback: (2)

I read it because it shows up in my mailbox every month. Not cover to cover, probably 30-40% of it. If it wasn't part of the membership I wouldn't spend a dime on it.
Old 04-29-2003, 07:21 PM
Erich_F

Default Read some of it

I read MA when I have nothing better to do. When I first get it, I turn right to Mike Hurley's Articles and columns (I've flown the actual plane featured in the build up article), then on to the two pages for helicopters.

While not for everyone, MA is the only single source for nearly EVERONE in model aviation. How many Rubber Powered Free Flight magazines or publications are there? Or Control Line? These guys do exist, and MA is the only regular publication still catering to them. No, MA doesn't have everything for anyONE, it has something for EVERYone.

If I want detailed info on helicopters, I get a helicopter magazine. If I'm looking for IMAC or sport flying stuff, I get RCM or MAN.

MA, while not my favorite read, does has a place.

Erich

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.