Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Blood and gore in Model Aviation Magazine

AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Blood and gore in Model Aviation Magazine

Old 10-27-2007, 07:02 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Blood and gore in Model Aviation Magazine

Here is an exchange from an AMA member regarding my November Battery Clinic Column, page 82 in Model Aviation Magazine.

----- Original Message -----
To: rkurek@modelaircraft.org ----- Original Message -----
Cc: redscho@bellsouth.net
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 4:34 PM
Subject: November 2007 MA Magazine, Page 82

MA, I have been involved in modeling basically all my life. There has always been the concern for safety and possible injury. Is it really necessary to put a color picture in your magazine of a bloody hand of someone that has been cut by a propeller? See page 82 of the current November 2007 issue of MA. Isn't it common knowledge that if you stick your hand in a rotating propeller that you will get cut? I know Red's intentions are good but I do not find it necessary to publish such pictures in MA. Tell your story but leave the graphic bloody pictures out please. I am surprised that you allowed this picture to be published as Editor of MA. I am not squeamish and have sustained my share of blood and guts in my life but I do not feel the need to share it in pictures with others. Totally unnecessary! I have a lot of respect for Red Scholefield and his contributions to the modeling community. Please be nice to him. I do not intend for him to be reprimanded. Just asking for this type of display to be discontinued in your magazine and future publications of a great magazine.
Respectfully,
XXXXX
AMA #XXXX

To: xxxxxxxx; rkurek@modelaircraft.org
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2007 5:24 PM
Subject: Re: November 2007 MA Magazine, Page 82

XXXXXXXXX,

You ask, "Isn't it common knowledge that if you stick your hand in a rotating propeller that you will get cut? "

From all the letters I get and serving as the Safety Coordinator for District V, apparently it is not as common knowledge as you might think . . . . particularly among those entering into electrics where you don't need a glo igniter and flipping of the prop to cause a rather ugly incident.

Red S.
The R/C Battery Clinic
Model Aviation Magazine

To: Red Scholefield
Sent: Saturday, October 27, 2007 5:54 PM
Subject: Re: November 2007 MA Magazine, Page 82

Red, This may be true but I still don't see the point in turning MA into a "blood and gore" pictorial. Would you want your 8 year old kid to see this in a model airplane magazine? MA is a magazine for ALL ages. This is just my own opinion. I am totally sympathetic towards this man's injury but I get the feeling that when this accident occurred someone actually thought it would be a great time to go find their camera and take a picture. I don't understand this kind of mentality. If you want to see blood and gore, go to the movies, watch the evening news on TV, but not in a my model aviation magazine. See if you get any more feedback from others.
Respectfully, XXX

I will forward any feedback to XXX

Old 10-27-2007, 07:12 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Blood and gore in Model Aviation Magazine

i agree with "xxx". i really don't see any reason for the blood and guts pix in a hobby mag. the after the doc has sewn it up shots will do just fine to get the point across.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:32 PM
SSRCCPREZ

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

umm.ya that's unneccessary red, it's unneccessary to make it so small. Do you have a bigger one and do you have others?
Whatever, thses people need to reach below the belt line and find a pair of grapes and man up a bit.
When they went into the delivery room and saw that, did they stop having kids too? Cause I was in there both times for both my kids and darn that was blood and gore....
Old 10-27-2007, 07:41 PM
decay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For sure a ugly sight! If I want to see that much blood
I'd like to see a finger or two missing, to make it worth
while looking at. Seems everything is a ulgy site in Reds
write-ups, just check out that bird in the pix next to the hand.
And thats not the first ulgy plane Red has shown, those planes
just don't deserve magazine page attention!! Give me a break!!
Old 10-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Champ-RCU
My Feedback: (132)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Gore yes, reality yes, keep the picture and more Yes. The finger, hand, arm you save may be yours. I'd rather be exposed to a picture than have to run someone to the ER then go back to gather his property at the field.

Don't want reality? Fly a computer.

MTY
Old 10-27-2007, 08:55 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I belive this discussion will become more political and regional based then it will controversial. So far the trigger happy Texans are for no blood and gore, interesting...
Old 10-27-2007, 09:03 PM
aerolou
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I say pictures are necessary. If the picture makes me feel the pain when I see it I will tend to be more careful with whatever caused it.
Keep up the good work Red.

Lou
Old 10-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Here is an exchange from an AMA member regarding my November Battery Clinic Column, page 82 in Model Aviation Magazine.

//SNIP//
Here is a "feedback".

XXX should be darn happy that his youngster has an opportunity to see just what can happen when people do dumb things. The vast majority of dumb things can be prevented. Every day one can witness any number of situations where someone narrowly misses getting killed or severely injured, especially on the free-way or toll roads. DUMB, STUPID things that people do either aware or not aware. [:@] Some do get caught, some don't. Preventive thought patterns cannot hurt one's future.

Only when people are educated to the POSSIBILITIES that can happen will some ever start thinking "I don't think I want to do that." Then maybe they will be more vigilent. Youngsters need to know those possibilities. For example: 11 year old jumps into a creek pool by a bridge for a swim. No thought that a trash heap may be in that water. DUMB and STUPID! 16 stitches and laid up a couple weeks with nearly losing right foot made me think, "Never Again!" Lots of blood! I have many stories of both self and others concerning dumb stupid actions.

In the USAF in one squadron we placed the Flying Safety magazine in each and every stall. Give those young "I'm bullet-proof" 300 hour wonders just how easy it is to get an airplane all screwed up along with the pilot's body. Did it help? Well it never HURT anything. Never knew of anyone that wanted to crash like that guy did. [:-] Red, your picture just may leave an impression in that youngster's mind that he needs to be very careful. Pop is far too much a wimp.

Haven't received my mag. yet, but I think your adversarial troop is a little bit uninformed in preventive maintenance. [>:]
Old 10-27-2007, 09:23 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think it is great, not that someone got injured but to remind everyone that it can happen and these are the results..
Old 10-27-2007, 09:29 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

I belive this discussion will become more political and regional based then it will controversial. So far the trigger happy Texans are for no blood and gore, interesting...
"Trigger happy"? "Texans"? Sounds like you're the one making it political and regional.

I'm from Texas, I'm not trigger happy and I feel anything that makes us more safety conscious has a place in a magazine like MA.

Would I want my 8 yr. old to see a picture like this? I would be the first to show it to him and explain why we use safety precautions.

Dave
Old 10-27-2007, 10:48 PM
JUGFLIER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What i want to know is how many AMA websites (including D5) this guy is now banned from. But i agree, props are dangerous, a reminder now and then don't hurt no-one. BTW, i wonder if this guy knows that in his drivers ed class, little XXX will see blood and gore before they let him drive.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:20 AM
hyflo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The first two posts need to stay in bed and pull the covers over there head(s) This world (or country) is too sheltered. A pic like that although not something you want to stare at, is a good reminder of how extra careful you need to be near spinning props. As we know all it takes is one second and your hand/fingers can be red too. Scott
Old 10-28-2007, 06:06 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: decay

For sure a ugly sight! If I want to see that much blood
I'd like to see a finger or two missing, to make it worth
while looking at. Seems everything is a ulgy site in Reds
write-ups, just check out that bird in the pix next to the hand.
And thats not the first ulgy plane Red has shown, those planes
just don't deserve magazine page attention!! Give me a break!!
While this post is an obvious jab by one of my "fans", I would like to explain a bit about any ugly planes that may appear in my column. Much of what goes into a column of this type is driven by letters and questions from readers or from questions on forums regarding electric flight. One of the more popular questions is how do I modify (name your favorite glo powered plane here) for electric. The simplest answer is to show how someone modified theirs with good results. That being said, send in those pictures (with some details) of your electric flight conversions and maybe you can have an ugly plane published in MA. [sm=cool.gif]

Old 10-28-2007, 08:59 AM
Tommygun
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've noticed you can't say or do anything in the RC community without offending someone. I'm the guy who "actually thought it would be a great time to go find their camera and take a picture." At the time of the accident, I figured I was already injured- nothing can be done about that now. If I snap a quick photo of my hand before going to the ER, at least the experience could serve as a warning to others to use the same amount of caution they'd give to glow power. I started a thread on RCU posting the pic, and Red emailed me noting that it was worthy of going into the electric column. I'll admit, until that day I have never given electrics the respect they deserve. Not sure why, maybe because when I started flying over 20 years ago, they were weak and underpowered. That is certainly not the case in 2007. If the picture causes just one person to use more caution the next time they fire up ANY model, then IMO it was the right thing to do. BTW, in a recent Popular Science magazine, there is a two page spread picture of a crocodile with a severed human arm in his mouth. The handler at a show in Thailand did something to annoy the crocodile, and it took his arm off. The article was about new technology for re-attaching limbs. MUCH more graphic. And I read Popular Science when I was a little kid, my father had a subscription. I wonder how many people wrote in complaining about that?
Old 10-28-2007, 10:27 AM
hyflo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thank You, Tommygun couldn't have said it better! And like you said its hard to say anything without offending someones delicate feelings. But from what I've read in this forum,Dave Brown is open season. Nobody seems to care about his. And Red I do understand your position of protecting your "fans". Scott
Old 10-28-2007, 01:01 PM
KidEpoxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Scared Straight.

It works.
people just get too casual about all the things that can hurt them,
and then want the Idiot's Lottery (inurance/lawsuits).

Red, I'll stop throwing darts at your pic on the wall long enough to say
You did the right thing. That hand pic & tale needed to be told.

In the brief exchanges I've had with Tommygun here, I am confidant that he isnt going to try to sue the prop manufacture or the ESC company for him hurting himself, but for every Tommy there are 10 folks that want $6mil for spilling coffe. Folks do need to keep in mind that the motor will spin the prop with the slightest of instruction to, it doesnt take long flying electrics to get a story of your own about the motor coming on unintentionally (mine was a reversed throttle not arming low stick, and wipping the stick back & forth to find the radio problem...[&:])
Old 10-29-2007, 08:38 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can tell people what will happen, but show them a picture and they will remember what can happen.

I think this is exactly what a child getting into the hobby NEEDs to see.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:17 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In Navy boot camp we got to see film of what happens when an arresting cable breaks, you can be darn sure everyone that saw it minded their Ps and Q's on a flight deck.

Good on ya Red.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Hircflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

High school driving teachers show highway crash photos with the blood and gore bodies inside to get their point accross. This the same....I think young people need to see that they are not indestructable, and the need to take care.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:59 AM
Fredsterman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They don't do that here Hircflyer, but I wish they would[:@]

The problem might be that common sense is dying out[:@]

As in a soup can warning. Soup will be hot after heating

Old 10-30-2007, 01:23 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am not sure whether the point is to promote abstinence of model aviation or to show how reckless model aviators get hurt.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:29 AM
kid chuckles

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Stl Pilot that must be in the NORTHERN TIP of Texas lol. The rest of us live on blood and gore. I showed the pic to my 10yr. old grandson and told him of the ways we TRY to prevent that from happening. He has a Super Cub and flys it pretty darn good. I take him to the field when no one else is going to be there 8-12 ususally on weekend. But the pic made him squimish looking at it as it is intended to do i would say. IT WORKED. Made mistake of getting him a RC NITRO CAR though. Now he just wants to drive it. Works cause there is a place for him right behing the field where I can still keep an eye on him and fly also. Had to get me one to though looked to much fun lol. Keep the occasional pic in. Or make one month dedicated to mishaps and put it on the cover that this months mag is whatever you would call it to insure folks know before they look but bet most would flip to that section first lol. US TEXAS GUYS AND GALS WOULD LOL.
Old 10-30-2007, 09:28 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I guess for me it was not that revolting, I have seen some pretty gruesome things, and though TommyGun's picture is pretty graphic, and was probably pretty painful, to be honest you can see more blood on an "after school special". Red's collumn is informative and that picture is not the first one to be shown in the magazine, and hopefully it will not be the last. One would hope that it serves a purpose in getting the point across to the uninformed that even the elctrics can bite you. Especially given the fact that there are more and more electric fliers out there. The point needs to be made, we get complacent and forget that just because the motor is small, and doesn't make a big noise, that it can hhurt you. A friend's wife was recently cut up pretty bad hand launching a Stryker. She was not thinking at the time, and neither was he, and as she launched it the rear prop put several cuts in the top of her hand and arm. You never know when it can happen, and thankfully Red was doing his job by showing what a few moments of complacency will get.
Unfortunately for you Red, you have learned the invaluable lesson, that No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.....haha.....keep up the good work.
Tommy
Old 10-30-2007, 01:15 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had my nose almost cutoff by a stupid mistake and had i taken a picture i would have gladly given it over to have posted in MAN if that means that some other person doesn't go through what i went through. sometimes people need a stark reminder of why safety is so important. there are so many of us that get comfortable and laxed with safety please dont let it happen and let loose a ER visit.

ps i have also seen several pictures on this forum showing what can happen not paying attention as well.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Hircflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We have had several fliers badly cut with those rear engined electrics during hand launch.....ya think you could put a shrod around the prop.

You can tell an electric flier by the bandage on their right forearm top.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service