Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

mixing fixed wing and helicopter flying

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

mixing fixed wing and helicopter flying

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 06:58 PM
georged

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mixing fixed wing and helicopter flying

How is flying schedulled at club fields? Specifically, how is the flying of helicopters and 3D flying affect fixed wing flying? Do helicopters take off and land from the flight line or do the use a circle from the end of the flight line? Who has preference when Flying? What are your club rules?
Old 11-02-2007, 07:40 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: mixing fixed wing and helicopter flying

How is flying schedulled at club fields? - If you have the pin and there's an open station, you fly.

Specifically, how is the flying of helicopters and 3D flying affect fixed wing flying? - If you're clogging up the runway by hovering, either 3D or Helo, and someone wants it, you'll be asked to move.

Do helicopters take off and land from the flight line or do the use a circle from the end of the flight line? - From the runway edge.

Who has preference when Flying? - No one has preference, runway is for landing and taking-off, if you're clogging the runway, you'll be asked to move.

What are your club rules? - Fly what'ca brung, have fun.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:55 AM
KidEpoxy

That kind of rules are generally done by the local club.
They are free to be very open to very restrictive rules, as made by the members of that club for that club. Some clubs may have a different area designated for heli/3d use, many dont. Some clubs may be primarily 3d (or heli) where pattern flyers dont feel welcome. A club could even plainly prohibit any heli/3d at their field.

Shop around the local clubs and ask them the question,
some may be more receptive than others.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:48 AM
Don Pruitt
My Feedback: (1)

At my club all members pay the same dues and all have the same rights and privileges. We have a typical mix of flyers and their preferences vary. We have helicopters, 3D planes, park flyers, speed demons, scale buffs, pattern planes, combat flyers and members that do not want to fly when there is anyone else in the air with them.

The club rule is that we all share the resources and give everyone a chance to do their thing. On any given weekend we will have 10 to 15 pilots present and everyone gets to fly as much as they want. It all boils down to a spirit of cooperation and having fun.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:16 AM
Mode One

This is for the individual club to make decisions about, not the AMA. My club has no distinct rules and pretty much follows Don Pruitt's example. Common courtesy is expected of each flyer and if a problem arrises it is discussed and if club feels it's needed, the inactment of a rule may be voted upon.

If you keep the number one unwritten rule in mind: "Common courtesy is expected of each flyer" there will likely be no problems!
Old 11-03-2007, 06:42 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I'm spoiled. Helicopters on the left runway, airplanes on the right!

But Don is right, if adults act like adults it's no problem, if one group acts like their flying is more important because their planes cost more or whatever, then there's problems.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93307.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	795821  
Old 11-03-2007, 12:28 PM
John Casey
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Don Pruitt

At my club all members pay the same dues and all have the same rights and privileges. We have a typical mix of flyers and their preferences vary. We have helicopters, 3D planes, park flyers, speed demons, scale buffs, pattern planes, combat flyers and members that do not want to fly when there is anyone else in the air with them.

The club rule is that we all share the resources and give everyone a chance to do their thing. On any given weekend we will have 10 to 15 pilots present and everyone gets to fly as much as they want. It all boils down to a spirit of cooperation and having fun.

I agree completely.... thats the way its SUPPOSED to be..... Not one facet of the hobby stepping all over the rest.
Well said!!!
Old 11-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched a little at an RC field near a contol line field. There was a pit area, shelter, etc., with runway in front. Helicopter guy set up past the far end of the pits, between the runway and the fence. He flew in that area, and would occasionally go out and join the racetrack pattern around the field. No one paid any particular attention to him, and he didn't get in anyone's way.