Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA gets 2nd knockout as protector of Freqs.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA gets 2nd knockout as protector of Freqs.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AMA gets 2nd knockout as protector of Freqs.

Check this out:

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/

Another great jump in technology and RC systems.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA gets 2nd knockout as protector of Freqs.

Wow, talk about late to the dance. The XPS system and its owner, Jim Drew, has been a hot topic since this time last year. Nothing new here.

And in case you missed it, Spektrum, JR, Futaba, and even Airtronics are in the 2.4/SS arena now.

Spread Spectrum is the coming thing and it is exciting if for no other reason that it frees us from the fear of being shot down. What is sad is that somehow you can contort this into what appears to be a negative comment about the AMA.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:12 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Zackly. Luckily the AMA was retroactive and have added many other exciting products and benefits to their offering portfolio, like Model Avation, to encourge new members to join for other reasons other then frequency control.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:47 PM
KidEpoxy

Hoss-
Well, at least with this system there will be fewer radio hits on the guys doing .15 CL Combat, and all the FF guys will probably grab them up too.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:15 PM
John Casey
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Its great to see "the weapon's" neutralized...no more fear is a great thing.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Hoss,
I've been flying with the XPS 2.4 system for more than a few months now and I've been very impressed with the system. I'm still working on moving over all my fleet, but for the planes that I have changed the the results have been very good. I would recommend it if your thinking of making a switch. I've heard the tech. is just now coming to RC but that it has been around quite awhile.
Jimmy Skids
Old 11-07-2007, 05:55 AM
Mode One

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

What is sad is that somehow you can contort this into what appears to be a negative comment about the AMA.
What? Where?
Old 11-07-2007, 08:18 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Mode One

What is sad is that somehow you can contort this into what appears to be a negative comment about the AMA.
What? Where?
The thread title I would say.
Old 11-07-2007, 09:46 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: P-51B
What? Where?
It never ceases to amaze me at how some people can inject and then twist a simple connotation into some desparate thing to cover their own rears when those people have their eyes too far into deep recess to be able to see light.

As one that has long wished for AMA to reover from AMA's 25 years of sitting fat and happy because they obtained the frequencies from FCC and all their sales promotion being furnished by Chartered Club effort under the guise of insurance, yes I use such terms to define that AMA is still simply sitting and doing nothing progressive to maintain a position of model aviation leadership.
AMA can no longer claim frequency fame for the 2.4 GHz now available and developed by sources outside any AMA involvement. Why has AMA NOT been the leader of the pack. As the old saying goes, "if you ain't the lead dog then you only have one view."

Oh, you go ahead and say that the new Park Flier program to be announced at the big show in Jan. will solve all problems. I'm not saying that! However I have not seen details of that program just approved by the EC.

There is no "Negative" to AMA per se, but plenty of negative to the EC Directors and their performance or lack thereof! [>:]
Old 11-07-2007, 10:45 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

There is no "Negative" to AMA per se, but plenty of negative to the EC Directors and their performance or lack thereof! [>:]
Thanks. I understand the distinction now.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:52 PM
John Casey
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

I have not switched over to 2.4 as of yet , as the field I'm flying at does
not have a shootdown problem nor poor freq.control. Being such, there is no
real reason to suddenly change out perfectly good radio systems that are operating flawlessly.
The only true advantage to 2.4 over current working systems is it KEEPS people who
want to shoot you down from doing so and of course the occasional idiot who would accidently turn on.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:11 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

If one finds himself in an environment where someone wants to shoot you down they will find a way. You have to question what one would have to do to create such an environment in the first place? Or is this unique to specific areas?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:37 PM
KidEpoxy

Well Red,
the what you have done is just flying a plane at an AMA club field,
the where is anywhere GasDaysAreGone finds himself,

and the important part is-
That guy is just a jerk randomly wanting to kill planes & hurt club flying

What did the folks on that comuter train do to make some jerk shoot them up,
what did the folks in the WTC do to make some jerk blow them up,
what did the folks buying gas or groceries do to make the DC Sniper shoot them?
Some guys are just homicidal jerks. Some dont go all the way to actually killing poeple, they stop at psychopathicly killing planes instead.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:04 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

AMA can no longer claim frequency fame for the 2.4 GHz now available and developed by sources outside any AMA involvement. Why has AMA NOT been the leader of the pack. As the old saying goes, "if you ain't the lead dog then you only have one view."
You know Hoss I don't know why you find this surprising. Maybe the AMA didn't jump on the 2.4 ghz bandwagon, but they still did their legwork when they needed to do so. So in a sense you are right, they aren't lead dog on 2.4, they did their bird-dogging many years ago. So now the great big companies will take it the rest of the way, just like Google swiped the Internet away from Al Gore and look at what we get today to enjoy, unlimited information.

So in the in the process of growth and bird-dogging the AMA broke out into new sectors, to increase their "view" as you say, to provide more products to their members and the parkflyer program they are about to launch this Jan is just another GREAT example of the EC's and the AMA ongoing achievements, just as Model Aviation magazine is the same.

If the AMA loses in one area, they will just gain in another, so don't fret about the parkflyer program, it's just the AMA molding with the times. Maybe not in your timeframe, but perhaps for many others. Personally I can't wait till they launch it as I'm going to be on the very first wave to sign up!

Old 11-07-2007, 05:12 PM
OVSS Boss

Since AMA is not a manufacturer, how Hoss can you hold them second to the plate for 2.4? AMA is working with what is out there and helping where they can with manufacturers if possible. As has been pointed out, folks have been flying this for a fair amount of time, and I have started flying a X9303 on my competition sailplanes this fall, all solid as a rock.

You lay a lot at the feet of AMA, and a some deservedly needs to go there, but piling on with BS like this is not needed in my book.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: OVSS Boss

Since AMA is not a manufacturer, how Hoss can you hold them second to the plate for 2.4? AMA is working with what is out there and helping where they can with manufacturers if possible. As has been pointed out, folks have been flying this for a fair amount of time, and I have started flying a X9303 on my competition sailplanes this fall, all solid as a rock.

You lay a lot at the feet of AMA, and a some deservedly needs to go there, but piling on with BS like this is not needed in my book.
You Guys! Some of you could use your heads for rock crushers. I don't lay anything at AMA's feet concerning 2.4 other than AMA cannot sit and take credit for that which they didn't do. That means that AMA needs to get into some pro-active action to spread the sport and recreational opportunities of model aviation. Obtaining the 75MHz freqs in 1981 is NO LONGER something they can hold on to for selling their worth to the RC fraternity.
I have no problems with 2.4 GHz. Had a DX7 and two receivers since they were introduced. Don't now bother with it since after the first trials. My synthesized 9303 along with a dozen-plus Hitec receivers and two JR 10 channel synth. receivers supply more that I can fly at one time. [8D] Heck was flying old 8103 today.
The radios are NOT the subject. AMA's butt-sitting for 25+ years, with no preparation for the technology of the cell-phone era, is the problem.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:02 AM
Silent-AV8R

The radios are NOT the subject. AMA's butt-sitting for 25+ years, with no preparation for the technology of the cell-phone era, is the problem.

Well now that you have finally made yourself clear perhaps you could share with us what exactly you think the AMA should have done with respect to 2.4 SS radios that they did not.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:29 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: P-51B
What? Where?
It never ceases to amaze me at how some people can inject and then twist a simple connotation into some desparate thing to cover their own rears when those people have their eyes too far into deep recess to be able to see light.

As one that has long wished for AMA to reover from AMA's 25 years of sitting fat and happy because they obtained the frequencies from FCC and all their sales promotion being furnished by Chartered Club effort under the guise of insurance, yes I use such terms to define that AMA is still simply sitting and doing nothing progressive to maintain a position of model aviation leadership.

Oh, you go ahead and say that the new Park Flier program to be announced at the big show in Jan. will solve all problems. I'm not saying that! However I have not seen details of that program just approved by the EC.

Yes I see "second knockout as..." negative. The AMA hasn't been knocked out of anything.

I personally haven't seen AMA taking credit for 2.4 technology.

As far as what they did more than 25 years ago in securing the 72mHz band, why shouldn't they still list/talk about it? If I go out looking for a new job, I sure don't give them a blank piece of paper and call it a resume! The 72mHz is part of the AMA track record of experience promoting the hobby.

Granted, the AMA should be doing more currently to promote the hobby like establishing district flying sites and media awareness, but they shouldn't walk around with a blank resume!

As for the park flyer program, I still say its stupid.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:10 AM
Silent-AV8R

It is kind of ironic that when we tried to get a District flying site out here in Dist X we got nothing but grief for it. Now many think it is a dandy idea. We were well on the way too, until a California Department of Fish and Game killed the site due to an endangered species issue. Bummer [&o]
Old 11-12-2007, 08:27 PM
OVSS Boss

Hoss,
I may be a Fight'n Texas Aggie, and my head has been described as a rock crusher. But I grow tired, and I am sure others do too, of your never ending grind on AMA. Sure, they blow their fare share, but so does the NRA or any other organization.

Go fly and have fun, for your sake and ours.