AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

I wish AMA's MA magazine would.....

Old 11-16-2007, 01:32 PM
TxDiveBomber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I wish AMA's MA magazine would.....

Include not only more articles on kit and scratch building but also more in-depth articles. Show me different techniques for building things like washout into a wing, sheeting and just general building tips as well as “How To” articles. Teach me how to build lighter and stronger. Have a pictorial scratch build that spans two or three issues. Have articles on different painting techniques that make my model true to scale. In short help me become the best modeler I can be.

The above is what I hoped the MA magazine would be when I joined the AMA almost a year ago. Unlike the “ageing” majority of the AMA members I’m relatively young and I’m nowhere close to being a master builder. I would love to become one someday. The passion and drive are most definitely there it’s the knowledge I lack. It’s that knowledge I had hoped MA would fill at least some of the gaps. Instead MA leaves me with a feeling that I’m alone on an island. I’m not interested in electrics or 35% + arfs I can’t afford. Don’t get me wrong I have nothing against them I’m just more interested learning how to build from the ground up vs. the other. I can’t be the only person that’s well under 40 that feels like we are getting pigeon holed into arfs and electrics.

I just wish that MA would help pass on the wisdom and knowledge you older guys “pioneers” to the sport have learned over the years to us younger guys. I though that was what the AMA was all about. Every year that passes this knowledge is going to get harder and harder to find. Why not pass it on now while we still have an abundance of it. Why wait until it’s almost gone before we realize what we have. Then again if you older guys are called the “Greatest Generation” mine could sadly be called the “Thankless Generation”.

P.S. I've learned more about building the first week I discovered RCU than I have from this entire last year from MA magazine. Thank you all for that.

RE
Old 11-16-2007, 02:06 PM
KidEpoxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: I wish AMA's MA magazine would.....

Bomber,
You got that right. RCU is a super swell place to get building tips, tricks, try new techniques, and help on fixing what didnt work out so good.

MA is trying to slice the pie so everyone gets a piece. They do have a build article every month, and while I agree with your assessment on the electrics, ARFs & 35%, builders to get a bigger slice than a lot of demographics... like Heli for example. So sure, I'd like to see more 1/2A builds & ads (we get more rubber than 1/2a), and more build technique articles (rather than 7 sentance write-in letters), I see that we have to share the magazine with the entire modeling comunity.... and I dont want them to get shorted (even more than now) just so I can get more build stuff.

Maybe if MA spent more time on 1/2A,
Cox wouldnt have stopped making 049 engines & Norvel would still be in the game.
The world will now become a place without kids & dads taking the cox 049 out to the schoolyard, as so many of us had done.

oh, and MA should get out of the red ink... but that's another story best told in the other threads
Old 11-16-2007, 03:29 PM
rcmiket

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Turn a profit.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:42 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

come delivered as a pop up book instead.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: TxDiveBomber

Include not only more articles on kit and scratch building but also more in-depth articles. Show me different techniques for building things like washout into a wing, sheeting and just general building tips as well as “How To” articles. Teach me how to build lighter and stronger. Have a pictorial scratch build that spans two or three issues. Have articles on different painting techniques that make my model true to scale. In short help me become the best modeler I can be.
RE
You are aware you can log into the members only section of the AMA web site and get the MA archives back to 1975. You will find plenty of articles there covering what you are interested in. The old guys probably feel they would be pushing it to have the same article every 2 or 3 years. Then there is www.masportaviator.com that is dedicated to new model pilots.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:39 PM
warningshot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Be delivered in a timely matter.[&o]
Old 11-16-2007, 05:17 PM
rcmiket

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"I can’t be the only person that’s well under 40 that feels like we are getting pigeon holed into arfs and electrics."
What makes you feel that why? If you want to build a kit or from plans just do it. MA is not the place to look for any really useful information. RC Reports is cheap 19 bucks a year and full off "good information" like your looking for. They have done kit reviews on just about everything and they are all available in reprints for a minimal fee. There's more than one website out there that can be of help. The only reason MA is around is because the AMA has to publish a "newsletter" or some form of publication for the membership. I can honestly say in all the years I've received MA I still have found no useful information pertaining to me and my interests in this sport. That's just my opinion.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Montague

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are a lot of other magazines out there that have a much more focused audience and therefore can do more depth than MA can. MA's articles are just too short.

Also, "build along" series articles almost never work well for most magazines, but there might be some out there that still do it.

One magazine you might want to look at is RC Report. They are fairly general, but do have a strong tilt towards scale modeling, and some of their columnists have recnetly covered "how to" info on scale detailing and such.

There are several others out there as well, though since I don't subscribe, I can't say for sure. Some titles that I've heard good things about, but don't know much about myself include "Fine Scale Modeler" and "Model Builder". Old issues of "Model Airplane News" and "RC Modeler" (to a lesser extent) might be good too, though RCM is toast, and MAN currently isn't what it used to be.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Mode One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For what your asking, I think MA does the best job of any of the model airplane magazines available today. Some of the other big name model airplane magazines have very little information for the builder anymore. The HOBBY, which may not even be a hobby anymore, because of the direction the majority of participants are taking the activity, will barely support the few kit builders there are anymore. I've been involved in this hobby a long time, flying no longer holds the thrill it once did for me. However, building an airplane down in my shop is still a real joy to me! As long as balsa is available, I should be o.k.

However, I'm with you TXDiveBomber, more building information, maybe turn some of these ARF people into builders!
Old 11-17-2007, 01:07 AM
Stubborn Mule

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I disagree! I think the Brit rags have MA beat hands down for the quality coverage they provide. Along with the other American rags. Only probelm is they (the Brit Rags) do tend to focus on Europe while MA does focus on itself and the AMA. Leaving an aurguably large portion of American modelers and modeling news uncovered and out in the cold.

Brrrrr! Maybe the AMA should quit thinking local and start thinking global! Then again, maybe the AMA should start thinking "Customer Oriented" rather than "Self Oriented"!

Nah! Never happen!

The Mule

Old 11-17-2007, 01:17 AM
TxDiveBomber

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

First off thank you all for your input and my apologies for not responding faster. Instead of doing a post to answer each question or comment put to me I’ll just answer them all in this post. Starting with the last post first.

Mode One,

I have been mostly an arf person that wants to be a true builder. I ONLY went the arf route because I feel I lack the confidence and know-how to build a model to the standards I feel it should be build to. That however is changing this winter I have my first scratch build. I’ve reached the point that even if it isn’t air worthy I just don’t care I’ll build two or three or fifty if that’s what it takes for me to make one that is. I’m not afraid of failing I’m actually afraid of pestering my club members to death. Granted they are a great bunch of guys I just don’t want to become nuisance with all my questions. Right now I would consider myself a sponge that’s just trying to soak up as much as I can about building.

Montague,

I wasn’t really thinking of a build-along series I was thinking of more in-depth of the models that MA does scratch or from kits. I thought well if it’s to much space for a single issue then spread it out over two issues or maybe three max. I don’t want those who enjoy other aspects of this hobby to get short changed at my expense.

I have yet to try RC Report, Fine Scale Modeler and Model Builder. As a matter of fact I haven’t even herd of RC Report until today. I’m going to have to check those out. Currently I subscribe to Fly RC, MAN and get MA. Both Fly RC and MAN do provide some building info however they mostly concentrate on arf and electrics in my opinion.

Rcmiket,

I feel pigeon holed into arfs and electrics because that’s what every magazine I pick up chalked full of. Almost every review is about either of those don’t see many reviews about kits or scratch plans in the magazines I knew about.

You said “MA is not the place to look for any really useful information”

It should be. After all it’s supposed to promote the hobby. In my mind promoting the hobby would include passing on learned building techniques that are essential to keeping the hobby alive and well. Don’t building techniques span across all forms of airplane modeling? Even arf fliers have to learn how to make proper repairs.

Red S,

I wasn’t aware I could get the MA archives online. I will definitely check those out. I did check out Masportaviator it’s geared towards arfs and new fliers. I’m not new to flying I’m new to building.

Red said “The old guys probably feel they would be pushing it to have the same article every 2 or 3 years”

I do apologize if I offended anyone by making age references of AMA members. However it’s really the truth MOST of YOU guys that know all the ends and outs of building are old enough to be my father or grandfather. It’s not an insult or age jab it’s just the way it appears to be to me. So I could see that an article about something that you learned 10, 20, 30+ years ago coming up every 2 or 3 years would be old news to you but there are people “like me” to whom it would not be. The archives will definetly help.

KidEpoxy,

I agree with you about MA trying to slice the pie amongst many different aspects of this hobby. Maybe I’m asking for to much.

One last question I’d like to ask everyone. Why is it that these magazines always go to these huge fly in’s take a ton of pictures, do a four to six plus page spread on these beautiful models that are mostly kit or scratch built, but do very little to help us learn to build them. Why are these the models they know their readers want to see yet everything else in there magazine is arf arf arf. I don’t think the spirit of kit/scratch building is dying I just think it doesn’t pay as well as arf adds or the 10 millionth review of the same arf model that’s just a slightly different size with a different mfg err future advertiser.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:29 AM
Mode One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

TxDiveBomber, If I can be of service don't hesitate to direct questions my way. I'm PMing my email address to you this morning. I'm so glad to meet a young'un interested in building and am happy to be of service.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:18 AM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

TXDB,

If you want to find where you can follow a build, then look in the appropriate forums here on RCU. You can probably find any plane in which you have an interest, and get more information than you can digest.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 11-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Jim Thomerson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The best general model aviation mag out there is Flying Models. It is, I think, exactly the magazine you would like MA to be. I have come around to thinking that MA does a fair job of serving the diverse AMA membership, except that it shorts the helicopter folks.

Incidentally, Bob Hunt has retired as editor of MA.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:06 PM
rcmiket

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The kits offered now days are pretty much bullet proof with laser cutting and the detailed instructions that come with today's kits you would have no problems building one. Since most come with a full set of plans you'll learn how to read them as a bonus. Don't let your lack of experience stop you from attempting a build there Top Flite still offers a good selection of kits and might be a great place fro you to start. Go to the Tower website and download the instructions I think you'll See what I mean. As mentioned above there's tons for help here and on other websites. Remember one thing we were once n your shoes and doubted our abilities as your are doing. All it takes is desire and a few bucks. Good Luck. Mike
Old 11-17-2007, 06:29 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wish MA would go away. It serves no purpose.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: 50%plane

Sure it does, 50%. MA provides the same opportunities for a number of preferred people as TV does for weather forecasters. None have to really know about that which they speak of. Only a few fishermen and hunters might get POed if the wx forecaster goofs it up. He still gats paid the same. In 41 years of aviating, I well know that the vast majority of weather forecasters seldom take their jobs seriously. I am happy that I knew wx better than most wx briefers.

The same goes for the salaried MA staff. It makes no difference about whether their product is right, wrong, good, bad, indifferent, informative or what. The pay checks keep coming. They don't have to be competitive, hard work/effort is not a requirement, and they all live happily ever after.

So 50%, how could you even think MA serves NO purpose? Shame on you! [sm=lol.gif]
Old 11-18-2007, 07:20 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

ORIGINAL: 50%plane

Sure it does, 50%. MA provides the same opportunities for a number of preferred people as TV does for weather forecasters. None have to really know about that which they speak of. Only a few fishermen and hunters might get POed if the wx forecaster goofs it up. He still gats paid the same. In 41 years of aviating, I well know that the vast majority of weather forecasters seldom take their jobs seriously. I am happy that I knew wx better than most wx briefers.

The same goes for the salaried MA staff. It makes no difference about whether their product is right, wrong, good, bad, indifferent, informative or what. The pay checks keep coming. They don't have to be competitive, hard work/effort is not a requirement, and they all live happily ever after.

So 50%, how could you even think MA serves NO purpose? Shame on you! [sm=lol.gif]
Hoss, I accept the shame. If it weren't for loyal idiots, like myself, who continue to fund MA, some little old lady would be out of a job, therefore causing the AMA's unemployment rates to skyrocket. Since the AMA just got off their biggest high of destroying the community with their reckless firings a few months ago when they kicked Steve Kaluf out of the organization, I expect that they don't want to take on the added responsibility of causing the Indiana unemployment rate to spike.

I know I should go sit under my rock somewhere, but in times like this, when an honest question is asked, I must, as my duty to society, provide an honest answer. If we're just skirting around the truth, making excuses, nothing good will happen.

When it comes to reasons for such honesty, I can think of quite a few. For instance, I was just sitting on the edge of my chair, right in front of this same keyboard last night, waiting for the results from the 2007 World F3A Championships over on fly1ng g1ants.c0m just to find some exciting pictures and video of all the competitors and to top it off, I didn't have to wait 3 or 4 months for some little old lady to travel all the way back from Argentina to tell me that Quique pulled off an amazing win for Team USA.

Secondly, if I have a need for a certain type of product that would be advertised in MA, I would just google it to find a place that I trust that will send that product to me in a timely manner. No need waiting for the little old lady to finally get around to telling me about it. Especially when I could already been using it for a while.

And in an effort to make this post "brief" I will conclude with this final point. I don't have to skip through numerous "check out my new trainer" reviews from an experienced RC modeler who's 50 years in RC have allowed him to do a loop.

With all this being said, is it my duty to spread malicious words about someone who could easily be my grandmother? Heaven forbid, No!! So with this thought, I retract my statement about MA serving no purpose. Obviously, MA does serve a purpose to someone. And to make one person exuberant just to come to work and produce a top shelf RC magazine just for me, is priceless. It's not that $58 that counts. It's the happiness that I recieve, knowing full well that I make someone's life worth living.

So, to whoever you are, if you even have the internet and can read this, Thank You Ma'am for your hard work and dedication to this hobby! I hope you continue to lead a full and rewarding life.

And to the naysayers, go fork your mother.

Sincerely,
Christopher A. Todd

Old 11-18-2007, 07:51 AM
STLPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hate to say it Chris, but sounds like your slipping over to the dark side. Is it the Air Force creating all this anger? You're starting to sound a whole bunch like Kid Epoxy.

So you expect MA to close it's doors because a few websites poppped up and started to gather info faster then any magazine? You don't think the same thing is happening to every other hobby and interest out there? You expect all those magazines to close shop too? You think the AMA should just tuck tail and run because of new forms of communication, not quite the American way I may say.

I've tried to explain to ol Hoss 1000 times now that it's IMPORTANT that MA stays in business for the same reasoning all 3 official candidates expressed their views. MA is a legacy to the AMA and the people on this forum are a minority when it comes to the magazine. You see them at the fields on the picnic tables don't you? You see them show up at meetings. You see them be handed out to children and to barbershops. Do you EVER hear anyone at the field complaining about MA outside of this forum? No, it's just 1 guy leading 10 guys around by the heels for his own self preserved reasons.

Listen MA will never go into the green. It can't, it never has and never will. It will always be subsidized because it's a member benefit, no different then the insurance. It also does not collect cover stand revenue like a REAL commercial magazine does. If MA goes away, so will A LOT of the membership. Name 1 NFP org of decent size that does not have a membership based periodical, seriously just 1. The reason they ALL have them is the same reason MA is staying ... it's an important piece to any organization.

Don't get sucked in by these clowns and don't ever think MA is going anywhere. Read it, enjoy it ... pass it on.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:29 AM
Mode One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I for one do not want to HAVE to sit in front of this vibrating cathode ray tube to read all the information I want to read about my hobby! I also do not want to HAVE to do all my shopping on line!

If that's what you want fine, but, don't dictate to me how I have to shop or get my information!

If there is enough of you guys that don't want MA, organize and inform the AMA you don't want it and be done with it!
Old 11-18-2007, 12:06 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mode One

I for one do not want to HAVE to sit in front of this vibrating cathode ray tube to read all the information I want to read about my hobby! I also do not want to HAVE to do all my shopping on line!

If that's what you want fine, but, don't dictate to me how I have to shop or get my information!

If there is enough of you guys that don't want MA, organize and inform the AMA you don't want it and be done with it!
Don't want MA? You can direct it be sent to the school or library of your choice. Or you can drop your copy off at the boys club, doctors waiting room, local library, hobby shop etc. where it will be appreciated and might be read by someone out of the hobby and stir their interest in model aviation.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:16 PM
STLPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Mode One
They don't even have to inform the AMA they don't want it. They just don't have to sign up next year and...woola. They just won't get their discounted rate on their flying insurance as well. Besides wouldn't that just be a tiered membership? And we all know how the same guys that cry about MA also frown upon having any kind of tiered programs. I say get rid of them, I'd rather have the magazine then whining and crying members any day of the week.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:51 PM
KidEpoxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think Red has an idea there,

I see the AMA allows kids to choose, $1 AMA or $15 AMA with MA
(how much does MA cost, we hear the $6 number bantered about here despite this $14 Youth Choice thing & the $18 MA Back Gray Text)

All we have to do is match up the guys that dont want to pay for a magazine they dont want,
with the kids that want a magazine but dont want to pay $14 to get it,
and stir in a $10 bill,

presto
Kids get AMA &MA for $11 and us unwanters get a crisp $10bill from Muncie in the mail instead of monthly MA
... or do we have to do this thru ebay because the computers at ama cant cope with it. I'm ok with that too, I'll pawn off my MA to $1 kids, lowballing the $14 they kid would have paid by a few bucks, & have my MAs go to him
Old 11-18-2007, 02:03 PM
STLPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

I think Red has an idea there,

I see the AMA allows kids to choose, $1 AMA or $15 AMA with MA
(how much does MA cost, we hear the $6 number bantered about here despite this $14 Youth Choice thing & the $18 MA Back Gray Text)

All we have to do is match up the guys that dont want to pay for a magazine they dont want,
with the kids that want a magazine but dont want to pay $14 to get it,
and stir in a $10 bill,

presto
Kids get AMA &MA for $11 and us unwanters get a crisp $10bill from Muncie in the mail instead of monthly MA
... or do we have to do this thru ebay because the computers at ama cant cope with it. I'm ok with that too, I'll pawn off my MA to $1 kids, lowballing the $14 they kid would have paid by a few bucks, & have my MAs go to him
Right tiered membership. What did you call them before when this program was discussed in regards to the forthcoming e-ticket? Oh ... secondary members. Like you've said 100 times, the AMA does not need a tiered memberships. It's all or nothing.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:47 PM
CellTech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Change the name from Model Aviation to RC Hobbies. Don't see a whole lot of "Modeling" in the rag but a whole lot of Chineese toy advertisements

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service