AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

New AMA card for 2008

Old 11-16-2007, 03:40 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New AMA card for 2008

Just got my new AMA card for 2008/9, a great shamrock green. Also a new Guide to Membership Services booklet very well done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57151.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	805090  
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Roby

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New AMA card for 2008

So that's what they look like this time around.

I think my old one is still in the envelope ,(unopened)from
last year.

Regards,
Roby
Old 11-16-2007, 05:18 PM
pkevinb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A little nicer than the brown color for '07. Last year was my first year as an AMA member and when I got the card my first thought was "how cheap"! Put it in my wallet and didn't think about it again, but I found that I need to laminate it so that it doesn't stick to the inside of the plastic photo things.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:02 PM
pkevinb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a question about the AMA number you get. Does the AMA just assign a new member the next number in sequence? Do the newer members have larger numbers and the older members have smaller numbers?

Just curious.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pkevinb

I have a question about the AMA number you get. Does the AMA just assign a new member the next number in sequence? Do the newer members have larger numbers and the older members have smaller numbers?

Just curious.
Yeah, that's pretty much the case, unless you get a life membership, then you get a low number with the, "L" prefix. Or when you become a Contest Director, you normally get a lower number. I wouldn't worry about it too much, someone with a high number is just as much a member as the guys with the low numbers, and your vote counts just as much.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Also once a number is issued it is not reissued to anyone for quite a long time should the original drop out. This is why the numbers are much higher than the actual membership. If you have been out of the AMA for a while you can usually get your old number back.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Stubborn Mule

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Amaizing what will amuse some people!

Oooo! It's GREEN!

Ooooo! The number is used (almost) only once!

Ooooooo! It's so! It's so! My God I feel perfectly Liberated! Almost like a Demoncrap!

Sorry! Couldn't help it! The thread just struck me as so....................utterly full of it!

The Mule
Old 11-17-2007, 09:06 AM
pkevinb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for your reply Stickbuilder. Like I said I was just curious, I don't care what my number is I'm just glad to be a member.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:28 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: pkevinb

Thanks for your reply Stickbuilder. Like I said I was just curious, I don't care what my number is I'm just glad to be a member.

You spoke of laminating the card, good idea. I actualy scan and make a half dozen copies and laminate, and another half dozen reduced size to glue on clothespin to use on frequency board. I've left my card at too many events in the past. The color copies work great.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:49 AM
pkevinb

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Red, that's a good idea too.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:31 AM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I scan my card on the computer and add my address and phone # then, print out a bunch on label stock to use as ID's inside my planes.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:02 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: propbuster

I scan my card on the computer and add my address and phone # then, print out a bunch on label stock to use as ID's inside my planes.
Creativity in modelers never fails to impress me. Great idea, you should send that in to some of the "Here's How" columns.
Old 11-24-2007, 07:13 PM
Tired Old Man

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I dropped membership for about 10 years. I received a new number from the first one that time. Over the years since I've dropped membership and re-joined a few times and have always received the latter number every time.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:26 PM
sscherin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was told the cutoff for renewing your old number is 10 years..
I re-joined within a few months of loosing my original number when I came back.
If I'd waited a few more months I would have been given a new number.

My Step son joined 2 years ago and got one in the 852,000 range.. my daughter a year later got one around 871,000

Now if I remember correctly when I joined as a Jr member in 1985 I got 2163334 and when I turned 18 and went open open the 2 got dropped..
Anyone remember anything like that?

When I called to re-join in 2005 they even told me my # in the computer was 2163334 but my cards all have 163334 on them.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Robotech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why should we be forced to recieve a nice card as part of our membership. Membership can be verified over the internet.

Just kidding.

Old 11-26-2007, 06:53 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Robotech

Why should we be forced to recieve a nice card as part of our membership. Membership can be verified over the internet.

Just kidding.

But without a card how many would remember thier AMA number so it could be verified. Not kidding.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:11 PM
The Toolman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just kidding.

We don't have computers at our field.

Ronnie
Old 12-02-2007, 01:52 AM
JAkridge

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As I recalled I first joined in 69', and you also had to have a FCC license. I'd like to have that number back after a absense of some 35 years.
Most of the events I go to the ask for the original card. I still make color copys and just do the back too and laminated them together.
And yes Red the green is much better than last years ugly color.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:09 AM
linkadrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Just kidding.

But without a card how many would remember thier AMA number so it could be verified. Not kidding.
I joined in 2007 so i'm a noob to the ama thing but i got the card looked at it then put it in my wallet and havent looked at it since dont seem to have a problem remembering the number. But its always good to have the card. Wsih it were laminated already wouldnt hurt getting a card that was a little more durable dont see why it cant be made like a creadit card how hard is that and it would last a long time.

Well i know one thing the AMA isnt fast on mailing cards out. been almost 2 weeks since i renewed my mebership. but i know it will get here eventually good thing i dont need it to remember my number. Maybe next year i will have a purpose for it and can pull it out to show to potential club. But as long as i have my own flying site probably wont happen although it sure does get kinda boring flying buy yourself.

Old 12-02-2007, 06:44 AM
Mode One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Stubborn Mule

Amaizing what will amuse some people!

Oooo! It's GREEN!

Ooooo! The number is used (almost) only once!

Ooooooo! It's so! It's so! My God I feel perfectly Liberated! Almost like a Demoncrap!

Sorry! Couldn't help it! The thread just struck me as so....................utterly full of it!

The Mule
"Humpf" How amazingly self-rightous and out-right nasty of an observation! They tell me you kiss your Mother with that mouth?!? R/C Ken, does this garbage actually have a place here on R/CU?
Old 12-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: linkadrip
I joined in 2007 so i'm a noob to the ama thing but i got the card looked at it then put it in my wallet and havent looked at it since dont seem to have a problem remembering the number. But its always good to have the card. Wsih it were laminated already wouldnt hurt getting a card that was a little more durable dont see why it cant be made like a creadit card how hard is that and it would last a long time.
Clear plastic sheets with sticky back are relatively cheap at any place selling some office materials, Walmart, Wallgreens, any office store. Get a sheet and laminate your card. Certainly good enough for a year.

Well i know one thing the AMA isnt fast on mailing cards out. been almost 2 weeks since i renewed my mebership. but i know it will get here eventually good thing i dont need it to remember my number. Maybe next year i will have a purpose for it and can pull it out to show to potential club. But as long as i have my own flying site probably wont happen although it sure does get kinda boring flying buy yourself.
At this time of year AMA has a lot on its plate. Renewals, plus getting ready for the big show in Jan. keeps them busy. You posted early today. You sent your renewal in mid-Nov. You probably received the renewal around early Oct. Just how fast were YOU in getting back to AMA?

Now that you have a personal flying site, and you find that boring, then have you considered attending some of the events around your area, introducing yourself, inviting some new-found friends to your place for a flying session, and even unto maybe forming a new club?
You are very fortunate, and when you share your good fortune with those less fortunate, you might just find it very rewarding. [8D]
Old 12-02-2007, 06:57 PM
linkadrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got my renewal in october and got back to them as soon as i possably could but like you said they do have alot going on and it took them awhile to proccess the funds for the membership but its all good i'm not in a big hurry i'm patient.

Wouldnt mind sharing the place i found to fly with other people that would be great. And would be really cool to start a club for others in my area to enjoy the hobby. But seems there arent alot of active hobby people in my town although there are quite a few mebers here on RCU from my town doesnt seem like they are very active in the forums here.

Nearest flight fields are more then 40 miles away from my town. and the only club close is in a closed community that doesnt seem very active. No way to go check them out without the approval of a person living in the closed community calling the gate and leaving a pass for you to come in.

My flying site is less then 5 miles away maybe 3 at the most. it's over 5 acers and there a no obstructions. i'm sure if a runnway were made a jet could take off from the site and fly around with no problems. Over the past year i have been flying there, i havent seen anyone else fly anything out there. One guy came out with a rocket witch was pretty cool but i didnt see him again after that day.

There is one hobby shop in the town that had a little inventory for airplane hobbies and carried fuel but are stopping and going to all trains there a 3 train hobby stores here now everyone is into trains it's a train town. I talked to the owner of the hobby store and there was only one other guy that came in that flys helis but has not came in since they stopped there supply of fuel selling.

So i will have to drive to bakersfield or lancaster to get any hobby supplies and with the cost of fuel rising that doesnt happen very often. For awhile i had some curious people come out to the field i fly in and watch but that didnt last long i was hoping some of them would get intrested in the hobby and i would see some of them come out there and flying. But the town is growing and maybe next spring there will be some out there.

But it would be Nice to make it into an area for people to come and fly there planes or helis. i just cant seem to find any less fortunate hobbiest to share it with, Only time will tell.
I should have worded it differently going out and flying isnt boaring. i enjoy it very much just would be nice to have others to share the area with.

I'll have to go and look at some of the storess around here for the laminate you spoke of.

link
Old 12-03-2007, 07:13 AM
Mode One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Linkadrip, If you were a model railroader, you would be living in model railroader heaven! The Walong loop is one of the most popluar train watcher locations in the USA! Yes, I have an HO layout in the basement and also am involved it that hobby.

Isn't full scale gliding popular in your location? The town I live in must be smaller then Tehachapi and we have a 25-30 member club here. Starting a club isn't difficult, if you can locate I think 5 other people to get it going (See AMA website on starting a club). These people do not have to have R/C flying capabilitys, only interest in the hobby, to start a club! Good luck!
Old 12-03-2007, 02:51 PM
linkadrip

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Walong Loop??? First time i heard it called that and i have lived here almost my whole life lol. Only loop near here is the Tehachapi Loop and they have web cams all over that place and a look out point. But its suppose to be famous. i have been thinking about getting into trains but i just dont have room for one at the moment to many airplanes and helis everywere. Maybe in the future yep if i was into the trains i wouldnt have to worry about getting anything for them here in this town.

Yes full scale gliding is very popular here in Tehachapi too. i fly my rc airplanes near the glider Airport. And had to get express written permission from the GLider airport to fly near there airport. Had two airport tower operaters come to my flight field to watch me fly to make sure i wasnt flying over the 1000 foot threshold they have around the airport.

Its very rare that i get my plane up over 500 feet at 800 feet there specks in the sky anyway. but i watch gliders all day long when i'm out flying. And that was they required is that i watch for low flying aircraft and bring my model under the 1000 foot mark so there wouldnt be a problem with crashing into a glider coming in for a landing. But i have since located myself furthere out in the field away from the airport were there is much more room to fly around and they dont care how high you fly out there.

I got a whole bunch of info on aquiring flying sites and starting clubs from the AMA here not to long ago just have to find like you said 5 or more intrested. But there doesnt seem to be much intrest for it in this town for some reason.

Well only time will tell.
Old 12-10-2007, 07:14 PM
TakingFlight96

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just recieved mine a couple days ago. Its a lot better than the brown.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service