AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FYI. EC meeting Oct.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:57 AM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default FYI. EC meeting Oct.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...ecminutes.aspx

Some notes for starters.

>>>> 2008 Committees: It is the President’s intent to vacate all committees and chairmanships at the end of the year (Dec. 31st) so the new President can assign as they see fit.<<<<<

Looks like new Pres. has a job already. Will he just appoint the same old-same old, or clean house and make a fresh start? This will be a good indication of where the new regime will be going.

>>>>g. Bylaws – Deferred to January 2008 meeting<<<<<
How many years now?????

>>>a. Advertising Consultant Study: Headquarters brought in a third party to do a market analysis of Model Aviation. Council should consider this information confidential and was cautioned not to discuss the content outside of Council members. <<<<<
WHAATTT? Now the EC allows themselves to be told how to behave by the salaried help? [:'(]

>>>>This study also looked at AMA’s other publications (Park Pilot magazine, Sport Aviator, etc.). Kurek noted a readership survey will be done that will be compared to the survey done in 2004; once a baseline has been determined, they will determine if changes are needed.<<<<<

WHAATTT? WHO is going to determine??? SOS/DD here!

>>>>10:05 a.m. Break/Executive Session Following Executive Session the following motion was made:

MOTION II: Moved by M. Smith (IX) and seconded by B. Teague (IV) to approve the Park Flyer Program and publication to be officially launched at the January 2008 AMA Convention in Ontario CA.
MOTION passed: 11-Y; 2-N (VI, VII)<<<<<

Now we wait! [:-]

Check it all out.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:22 AM
KidEpoxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: FYI. EC meeting Oct.

Council should consider this information confidential and was cautioned not to discuss the content outside of Council members
dont worry Hoss,
if we learned anything from the Steve Kaluf thread,
the closed door EC gossip flow rivals the Amazon or Orinoco,
to guys that will drop it off here to show how 'in the loop' they are

Might be a good chance coming up to see the new chief take action against the gossip gang.
<see, something positive: the new boss might clean up Dodge>
Old 11-30-2007, 07:21 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cool! ANOTHER magazine to add to the AMA portfolio of products and services!!!

Just like the NRA does Hoss, you should be happy. I think they call that move targeted marketing. I could be wrong .... nope .... it's targeted marketing.

WOOHOO! Starting Jan 08 well have twice the amount of threads to complain!!
Old 11-30-2007, 09:08 AM
JUGFLIER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

STL,
I think tou will see a re-alignment of the politics in this forum. Most of the guys on your side of the isle are against this and many on my side are also. This is going to make strange bed-fellows.

i think the biggest opposition to this is going to be the fact that this starts us down the road of tiered memberships with more to follow later. I think that is just the reality of the future.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:51 AM
STLPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well in regards to new tiers coming to the AMA, so what. Everyone is crying for change and change is on the way. Change means something different then what is in place now, doesn't it? Let the tiers come in droves, the more tiers you have the more likely you will hit your target audience. But if you need to further educate on WHY the AMA is going towards tiers and I know you don't really care too much for my point of view, let's try from a 3rd party source instead ... [link=http://www.entrepreneur.com/tradejournals/article/132614053_1.html]happy reading (link). [/link]

Another good article [link=http://www.entrepreneur.com/tradejournals/article/132614054_1.html]link.[/link]. I love this quote from that article. "When the association and its members understand the basis for the new dues structure and feel that it is equitable to all members based on the vision, mission, goals, and value proposition of the association, members feel they are getting fair value for their membership dollars."

Oh but I REALLY love this comment. "Be prepared to lose members. Some members may not like the proposed model and may leave once it's implemented. If the new model is in the best interest of the association and the majority of members, be willing to let those dissatisfied members go."

This is why I love this forum so much. It's a great cross comparison to life in the real world. Still blame it on the glow fuel, but not counting out CA glue yet.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:47 AM
JUGFLIER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am a member of NFIB. I set my own dues. Frankly with the diversity of the rc world, especially aircraft, i think a structured dues program is the only way to really get ready for the next 30 years. I know i am in the minority on this board, but i do think it is something that will have to done. I do know the jet boys and the big 40% 3-d boys are thinking theirs will go up with a teired system, and that is possible. But i do see a tiered system in AMA's future.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:54 PM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tiered system in AMA is a bad thing? Go Mr. Smith. This is the only Guy I have talk to or emailed that I can say I respect in the AMA. I wish he was over Missouri. Mr. Smith is a super nice guy.

I think we need to support the park flyers. It will not make since to buy a $50.00 airplane and the AMA wants $48.00. They will just go to the park and fly. Then what? Opps there goes another 40%er to the dirt.

We have opened the gates to the park flyers at our club. We have not asked for them to even join the club. The only thing we will have to talk about this year's meeting is where is the line from park flyer and non park flyers.

Ideas so far is balsa vs. foam, Speed like a striker. Wait to see what the AMA calls a park flyer. But, I would like to see them at the field with their radio's rather in town.

Thanks
Crash99
Old 11-30-2007, 02:34 PM
STLPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JUGFLIER
I do know the jet boys and the big 40% 3-d boys are thinking theirs will go up with a teired system, and that is possible.
You see that's just the thing. If you look at Joyce's original proposal you see that it won't change the current AMA "product" one single bit as it stands today. What the program is meant to do is ADD a new tier while not conflicting with ANYTHING that in currently in place. Of course you think they will raise the dues for jet's and 40% pilots, that's the worst possible scenario, nothing new on this board. But do you think they are really that stupid? I think you should know better then that.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:21 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

"I do know the jet boys and the big 40% 3-d boys are thinking theirs will go up with a teired system, and that is possible."

Of course they want to raise the dues on these two groups, the question is, will they lower the dues for other groups.
Will the $58 be the base dues for low risk models like indoor microfilm, and all others groups will be more?
What about 40 sized sport fliers, they have the greatest numbers so therefore the risk is higher, are you going to raise their dues too, or if not, are you going to lower the dues for other groups?
They're going to do what they want to do and the burden will be on the clubs to sort it all out and enforce the rules.
Oh well, all you can do is vote and make your opinion known, not that either has a big effect on anything.
BRG,
Jon
Old 11-30-2007, 04:37 PM
STLPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: F106A
Oh well, all you can do is vote and make your opinion known, not that either has a big effect on anything.
Well if haven't found out yet, there was a vote and Dave Matthewson won. Dave has always supported and co-developed the new electric park program. I know he's stated many times he in supported this program because it specfically targets urban communities.

Your vote was counted and your voices were heard.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:47 PM
JUGFLIER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

STL,
I told you this would re-align the politics in this forum. BTW, you are preaching to the choir on this one. I agree with you mostly on this. The only point of my disagreement may be that i don't believe "seperate but equal" is good enough for the e-ticket. I think it has to be upgradeable to full membership at anytime. Also i would like to see the full-rate membership good at parkflyer fields designated as such.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:25 PM
STLPilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: JUGFLIER

STL,
I told you this would re-align the politics in this forum. BTW, you are preaching to the choir on this one. I agree with you mostly on this. The only point of my disagreement may be that i don't believe "seperate but equal" is good enough for the e-ticket. I think it has to be upgradeable to full membership at anytime. Also i would like to see the full-rate membership good at parkflyer fields designated as such.
I have no doubt that full rate will be good at parkflyer fields, it only makes logical sense. I also have no doubt that the park flyer program will have a financial incentive to upgrade to full membership, anytime, again it's only makes logical sense. But then again I may have known this information all along. Us northers have a tendancy stick together too ya know. Call it whatever you want, separate but equal, silver, gold, platinum, doesn't matter. The good part is that people will get to choose what fits best for them, not what fits best for the AMA or for you. But it seems to me they will develop the program NOT to cause any kind of conflict of interest to the current AMA program whatsoever, as per F106's theory. That would be ... dumb.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:05 PM
AERORICH73

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well Fellows: From what has been said on this thread, the thought has come to me that all membership dues should be based on the weight of the model and engine size. This way everyone can fly the model they prefer with the liability that goes with the type of model. Yep, the big fliers will get the higher dues, and no favoritism is allowed. I believe this is how a lot of states charge auto registration fees by weight and cost. It would be a fair system to all flyers.

Rich S.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:14 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

58 bucks for me, 58 bucks for you , 58 bucks for them.
GOT IT?

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-30-2007, 06:33 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Shear madness! For 3/4 of a century, indoor microfilm flyers have paid the same dues as screaming 60 powered free flight models, 1/2A R/C paid the same as 45% IMAC 3D. Until someone can come up with some figures that show differences in the risks involved and insurance payouts, lets not muck up the AMA with some half baked tiered membership scheme. Setting dues to 39 cents for park flyers (whatever they are) is not going to change the AMA membership picture one iota. Membership in nearly all hobby groups is on the wain. Live with it. It is the sign of the times.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:50 PM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Madness, Please tell me why someone with a park flyer needs to pay $58.00 to fly their foamie. I would love to know. The big risk is to have a AMA memeber get shot down and have their airplane crash into something or someone.

Crash99

Old 11-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: crash99

Madness, Please tell me why someone with a park flyer needs to pay $58.00 to fly their foamie. I would love to know. The big risk is to have a AMA memeber get shot down and have their airplane crash into something or someone.

Crash99

Same reason that someone with a .25 size trainer needs to pay the $58.00. If you want to play, you need to pay. Tiered memberships will create a pecking order, and hurt feelings, and worse. Same cost to you if you fly a foamie, or if you fly 40% 3-D. If you want to be a member, then be a member. If not, don't. Why should those who only wish to fly a park foamie want to belong anyway? They fly where they want, and most of them won't wait their turn to fly at the field anyway. I think someone is trying to blow smoke with this idea, and I think that it is geared toward allowing members to select what benefits they want, such as not having to take MA, and getting a reduced rate for not taking the magazine. I'm against it. If you want to belong to the AMA, pay up. if not .....

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-30-2007, 09:51 PM
JUGFLIER

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Stick and Red,

From the EC minutes, it looks like your great buddy, Tony Stillman voted for this.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:25 PM
abel_pranger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jug-

There you go, spoiling people's touchingly archaic fantasies with fact. For shame!

Abel