AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Is the AMA forum a battleground?

Old 12-29-2007, 11:52 AM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Is the AMA forum a battleground?

Why is there so much animosity here in the AMA forum? There seems to be absolutely no commonality to be found here. It is like there is nothing to be found that we have in common with each other. Regardless of the area of the country from whence you come, there is still no agreement. There are so many factions that are fighting against each other, that i'm surprised that anything ever gets accomplished. I suppose that it is a good thing that there is an Executive Council to make the rules for the AMA. If they depended on the rank and file membership to agree on anything, we would all still be flying Lanzo Bombers, and Broooklyn Dodgers.

Why can't we all agree that we will never agree 100% and move along. I feel that this forum does more to drive a wedge between members than it does to join us together.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 12-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Hossfly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Is the AMA forum a battleground?

Why can't we all agree that we will never agree 100% and move along. I feel that this forum does more to drive a wedge between members than it does to join us together.

Bill, AMA 4720
#1, There are so few AMA members that ever read this forum that whatever is said here really has no bearing on the AMA's function and/or the total membership. So the squabble here is really immaterial.

#2, There are even far fewer members that really have a knowledge of just how AMA is operating. Therefore they cannot comprehend the points of many of the subjects presented here.

#3, Of the majority that does know the differences between objective and emotional rants, and can understand the factors involved, even they will not stand up and be counted.

#4, That brings it all to one point: Like any form of governmental process, when the vast majority knows not, and knows not that they know not, then the process will either disappear, or simply become an emotionally driven crowd where they themselves drive all the wedge that is needed. The AMA membership is driving the wedge, and this RCU forum is simply an extremely small percentage of the driving process.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:26 PM
rcmiket

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I stop this forum from time to time and post less and less here. Seems like this forum exists for 5 or 6 guys to disagree about everthing and a few who can quote AMA stuff at the drop of a hat. I see no real value here and thank God that I don't have to deal with any of these people on a day to day basis.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Mode One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I wonder how new people coming to R/C and the AMA view the baloney going on here?! Hopefully, they don't come here, as I have to say the ugliness of this forum would chase the maggots from a gut wagon!
Old 12-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Bad_Daddy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I belong to the AMA and I still don't care what happens on the AMA Forum. It all seems to be, like rcmiket said
like this forum exists for 5 or 6 guys to disagree about everthing
Who cares? I only joined so I could fly at the local field. [:'(]
Old 12-29-2007, 03:53 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Read a few threads and you will see that its the same handful of people doing the senseless bickering.

Kind of reminds me of the 5 or 6 guys at the field (every field has them) that gripe about everything, dispense unbidden advice on everything from airplanes to how to discipline your children, and never manage to actually fly.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:36 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (107)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have to agree. There are a few that take the other side of any debate just to stir up the pot. They filter from forum to forum depending on what the tide brings in this month and just who can be labeled a rabble rouser for having a differing view on the subject matter. Dave
Old 12-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Mode One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The few I see causing a ruckus, don't venture very far from right here. That's why I feel they are TROLLS! All they need is right here.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Live Wire

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mode One
Interesting how some never get locked out, deleted, or just plain removed from this forum
Old 12-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's interesting. We were just discussing that phenomenon today. Seems as if you are an AMA Basher, or are a routine Anti-mainstream AMA member, then you are immune from any action by the Deputy. But if you are a Pro-AMA member, then you are subject to all kinds of censure (not to mention censorship), and you get the pm....., "Your post has been deleted". They can claim all thay wish that it does not exist, but there appears to actually be a F.F.P.A.. If one person sees a trend, it may well be his imiganation. When several people notice it, there probably is some substance to it. More and more people are beginning to notice.

Read this quickly, It probably won't last long.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 12-29-2007, 06:54 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guess who just went out of the thread to rat me out?

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 12-29-2007, 07:16 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah stick, but you deserved it. this time<G>
Old 12-29-2007, 08:16 PM
YNOT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dave Brown out. Sandy Frank out. AMA trying some new things.

I think you are reading the driving force behind it.

When I attend a Pro Bro at the AMA field, it will be difficult for me to rag on AMA about much.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:30 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So Tony what are you stating? "Pro Bro drives the AMA"-I hope not!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:30 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lets be very clear...this forum does not represent the consensus of AMA.
I also strongly agree that a few badger members rule the roost in here and leave a bitter taste for most viewers and posters from out side the flock.
There are also too many beat up dead horse carcasses in here that get a fresh kicking with each new thread regardless of who starts it.

I have great hopes of what the new mod assignments will accomplish.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:53 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well regardless of what goes on in this unofficial AMA forum, at the end of the day at least Muncie keeps giving us what we need and now at a reduced price. So keep bickering, because what I see and what even Abel has addressed is that the AMA has now started the Park Pilot program even against the "forum consensus". Perhaps they believe in reverse psychology as well.

So who else is going to sign up?
Old 12-29-2007, 10:14 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was hesitant to let this thread proceed because I didn't see anything good coming from it. But now I'm sure that nothing is going to come from it. I feel that this forum will do nothing but slide out of a control into an all out fight. That's not going to happen. I'm locking this thread down.

Ken
Old 12-30-2007, 09:24 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had a member contact me concerned that I may have closed this thread too soon. I have taken a second look at this and relize that he was right. When I closed this last night it was rather late and I made the wrong decision. I'm not above admitting that I can make a mistake as I am only human. I do apologize to the group for the mistake. This thread has been reopened. I do ask that as this discussion goes forward that the members participating in this discussion follow the RCU Community rules in the discussion so that further moderator actions will not be needed in here.

Ken
Old 12-30-2007, 04:13 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are 150,000 members in the AMA, but only about two dozen of them ever post here in the AMA forum, making the forum, in my opinion, absolutely useless in solving any problems of AMA. I for one, seldom post here, because I absolutely refuse to get into a pissing contest with the six or eight individuals that routinely criticize everything that gets posted. My problem is that I like the AMA, and in this forum, that's bad. I like the magazine. Although I will never have the opportunity to visit Muncie, I like the idea of having a national office; a museum to preserve modeling history; and a place to fly model airplanes of all types at one location, and I fully support that endavour.

I was introduced into modeling with rubber band powered models, then several years in free-flight and U-control. Then came radio control, and that is my main interest today - designing, building, and flying giant scale models. I'm not into ARF's, or electrics, but I don't criticize or look down on those that fly them.

Over the past five years that I have been a member of RCU, I have read every post that has ever been posted in this AMA forum, and I can't remember any post that has had a direct impact or cause for improvement in the way that the AMA organization operates.

I know that Hoss doesn't like the MA advertising rates, and says so frequently in this forum, but has it done any good? I know that STL disagrees with Hoss on this subject, and he too has said it many times over, but has all that discussion done any good? I know that KE doesn't like the magazine and wants a credit instead, and he has expounded on that subject over and over again, but has it done any good? I know that others think that the dues are too high, and they complain about it here, but has their complaining here done any good? Others think that Muncie is a waste of money and tout that message here but that's like talking to a brick wall. If you don't like what AMA is doing, this is not the place to vent your anger. Send your message directly to AMA headquarters instead, where it just might get some attention. You can be sure it won't have any impact here, so why waste your time posting. I was always taught that if you couldn't say something good about someone or something, then it's better to say nothing at all.

As an AMA member for the past 66 years, I know where we've been, and I believe the AMA still has a bright future, in spite of the volumes of useless posts here by the small minority of nay-sayers. That's my opinion, like it or not.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:25 PM
Mode One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm with you 100 per. , Jim!
Old 12-30-2007, 05:41 PM
ira d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the AMA people do view these forums way more than they post here
and I think it does give some idea of what people think about the AMA.

As for how much them knowing about what people think has a effect on
their decisions we will likley never know but im sure there is some effect.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:41 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So why waste your time posting.
To help increase the overall stock value of RCU. Visitors and post counts equates to more advertising dollars which in turn gives the company a higher net worth. Obviously whatever secret sauce the owners of RCU pour into this forum, it's made them very wealthy and god bless them for that. I personally enjoy making people rich, because it can come back at you one day.

Some people think I support the AMA for the money I can make, so if you can't beat em ... join em in their belief.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:08 PM
Mode One

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ira d

I think the AMA people do view these forums way more than they post here
and I think it does give some idea of what people think about the AMA.

As for how much them knowing about what people think has a effect on
their decisions we will likley never know but im sure there is some effect.
I agree, I should think they do view these threads from time to time. However, I hope they are just as smart as any of us and determined along time ago, that there are just a few people here making a stink (I was going to say "big stink"; but, in reality it's just a little one).
Old 12-30-2007, 08:37 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The main point of posting here isn't to see if you can "do some good", it is to voice an opinion.

There is a difference between dis-liking the AMA and disagreeing with the AMA.

There is no difference between blind allegiance to the AMA and stupidity.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Stickbuilder

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

The main point of posting here isn't to see if you can "do some good", it is to voice an opinion.

There is a difference between dis-liking the AMA and disagreeing with the AMA.

There is no difference between blind allegiance to the AMA and stupidity.
Nice try there Chuck, but you won't start any arguments here so that the thread can actually be locked down again. Everyone please ignore this bunch.

Bill, AMA 4720

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service