Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA forum. Keep it or shut it down?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Keep it open
52.68%
Shut it down
47.32%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

AMA forum. Keep it or shut it down?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: AMA forum. Keep it or shut it down?

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

I see three reasons folks would want to shut down the forum
a) They dont want to read what others have to say about the AMA
b) They dont want anyone to be able to read what others say abou the AMA
c) Regardless of alignment, they are sick of the mud where discussion should be

Looking at A, the simplicity of that Closer to just stop coming here himself is obvious.
I dont like what Oxygen & Lifetime put on the TV, so I dont watch those channels. What I do not do is write letters/campaign/vote to have FCC shut down those channels.

But the more dire is B, folks dont like what is said & want to stop anyone else from being able to read it.
If they want to hang out in an AMA Biased Forum, there are plenty of those to chose from, most by the AMA& Districts. But in an unbiased forum, why try to introduce censurship, and if that fails, disband the unbiased forum as ultimate censureship.

And of course C, regardless of good or bad, things have gotten Ugly.
Repeat offenders. Frequently attacking posters rather than post topic. The inceasant use of where folks are from. Baiting for a lock when losing debates. Allusion to insult to stay within the rules. Warnings need to become Weekly Suspensions, and corrective actions need to be Monthly Suspensions. Three strikes you're out, perma-out. Some folks paid? Well, they didnt pay to be above the law, did they?
You should have continued on and included choice D, you know which one that is.

Choice D. Those who walk that fine line that enables them to infuriate the others in the thread, but does not quite step over that line, where the moderator will take action against them. Several use that ploy, and names don't need to be dropped.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 01-09-2008, 03:30 PM
abel_pranger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

You should have continued on and included choice D, you know which one that is.

Choice D. Those who walk that fine line that enables them to infuriate the others in the thread, but does not quite step over that line, where the moderator will take action against them. Several use that ploy, and names don't need to be dropped.

Bill, AMA 4720
Bill-

Didn't he include that in Choice C?

Anyway I think you are right, and RCKen knows it because he has specifically mentioned it as one of his frustrations in trying his best to do his job here.

Abel
Old 01-09-2008, 03:40 PM
KidEpoxy

Stick-
I didnt really put that up as a right/wrong choice, just gathering a list of what I see influencing folks opinion to varying degrees. I'm sure some folks feel A & B as well as C to some degree. C in particular is weighing heavily on my mind, but I feel reasons to keep it open outweigh how much C Close-For-Mudslinging I feel. Your milage may vary.

If you would like to add to the list of reasons folks would want to close the forum, ok, have at it.
Or put up reasons folks might feel inclined to keep it open.
Either, both, neither... whatever you want, its an open mike thread to RCU

But I dont see your proposed D as different from my general C: Mud has replaced discussion. I already put the Fine Line Walkers into the Muddy repeat offenders "Allusion to insult to stay within the rules". It all contributes to less topical discussion, more mud slinging.... which is a reason folks might want to close the forum. The type of mud in particular isnt that important, just that MudSlinging of various types would influence folks to want to close it.

I'm just reading it as your D: FineLiners is an endorsement of a subset of my C: Mudslingers,
which is fine, you can do that if you want. Or Not. Whatever.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:55 PM
The Toolman

Heck Kid, If they get rid of the one[sm=bananahead.gif] that ends up starting all the crap an thinks he knows it all on every thread here, I'd change my vote to leave it open.
Other than that one person, I really don't see where the forum is really all that bad myself.

LOL... I think we oughta run the forum just like a club, if ya don't like one of the members, have the whole club/forum take a vote to let him stay or kick'em out.[sm=idea.gif]

Ronnie

Old 01-09-2008, 04:26 PM
FlyingGreg
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't post here often, not sure if I ever have, but I enjoy looking thru the threads as comedic relief in some instances. My vote is to stay open.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:36 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

If you shut the AMA forum down, then the nasty stuff will simply migrate over into the other forums. At least this way, the infighting is localized instead of hurting the whole site.

I say keep it open.

Gordon
Old 01-09-2008, 05:46 PM
Mode One

Yes, I come here and post fairly regularly. I was asked my opinion by the administrator and gave it. My opinion is to close it down, as I don't feel the AMA Forum does much good for the AMA, as was intended. To the contrary, I see many times where it is doing more harm then good! So, I'm fine with the way I voted!

If it isn't closed down, I'll likely continue to espouse my point of view here. Sorry, I believe I have the right to do this!
Old 01-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Mode One

Yes, I come here and post fairly regularly. I was asked my opinion by the administrator and gave it. My opinion is to close it down, as I don't feel the AMA Forum does much good for the AMA, as was intended. To the contrary, I see many times where it is doing more harm then good! So, I'm fine with the way I voted!

If it isn't closed down, I'll likely continue to espouse my point of view here. Sorry, I believe I have the right to do this!
Yes, you have the right. You post your number, and it can be verified that you are a member, unlike some who we have no idea if they are actually members of the AMA or are just here to foment hate and discontent.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 01-09-2008, 07:50 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with everyone that feels that those who dont like the fourm or feels it does
no good should stay away from the fourm. I also feel that people go a little overboard
trying to defend the AMA on this fourm.

I say let the AMA staff come on and defend the AMA and discuss the facts. I think
that the fourm will stay however and I hope the posters will make some changes
to help make the fourm better.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I voted to keep it open. I don't post here much anymore, but do come in and read the issues from time to time. I for one don't envy the job of the moderators, but would think that keeping the forum open would make sense for RCU from a business standpoint. Ken and the rest of the RCU team seems to have a handle on the "trouble makers" and tend to take care of the problems quickly. If the forum continues as such then I see no reason to give up on it yet. When the burden becomes too large, shut it down.

Best wishes to all in the new year.

Jimmy Skids
Old 01-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Mode One

It's not about the AMA Forum here on R/CU, it's about what's good for the AMA. I'm also fine with people having diametrically opposed opinions to mine and I'm not against open and frank discussions about the AMA, here or anywhere! This just doesn't happen here!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Live Wire

You know it is supporting what you believe in and enjoying what you do in life man I wish I could start over but would it help This forum does good in some cases but can be the pits in others .
BUT I still cant see where MUNCIE does us any good other than an expence,
How many park fliers fly there
Keep open but KEEP IT AMA
Old 01-09-2008, 11:03 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark,
You should be able to notice the same trend in this thread as in most others in this forum. The same group running down their own path with *** for tat jabs at each other while accomplishing nothing other than choking out the members (of RCU) who are in this thread and forum to learn and comment. There are several inflamatory posts that follow the traditional pattern.

I had higher hopes for this in 08.
Spankem or drop the forum. Thats my vote!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jim Messer

Marc: I voted to keep the forum open. I know that there is lots of controversy, but when all is said and done, some posts really do make a lot of sense. Using Hoss as an example, I think that he is on the right track most of the time, and he certainly does have the best interests of AMA in mind when he posts. Although I don't always agree with him, I welcome having this forum available to me to share and read his views. I usually state my views on a subject, and then shut up.
Thank You, Jim, for those kind words. I definitely appreciate them from someone of your great record in the science of aeromodeling.
Learned Gentlemen of proper society do not have to agree. In fact, as Prof. David Zarefsky, Ph.D, Northwestern University, Professor of Communication Studies, states in the Study of Effective Reasoning, "Argumentation is mostly a social and cooperative enterprise by which we find truth and resolve conflict." Note the "....resolve conflict." [X(]

Unfortunately, when all levels of individuals gather to enter into discussions, then some will not be able to be recognized and may feel left out. HEY, I am one of those left out when a bunch of RC Electric guys are discussing all those electric terms. That is where I just listen. []

For those that voted to close the post down, all they have to do is to no longer come here. That will solve their problem without affecting the other 50% that voted to keep the forum open.
Now with that statement, Jim, you and I are in complete agreement.

It is very sad to me that any citizen of this land with the most freedoms of any country on this earth, would even let him/herself contemplate using censorship in any form. [sm=punching.gif] Shameful!
Old 01-10-2008, 12:53 AM
TwinV

Old 01-10-2008, 01:09 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: TwinV

Quote Removed by MinnFlyer
Wow!

and I was just going to commend Hoss on a great post. Well... I guess I still can. Great post Hoss. Did I just say that? Oh crap…STL has changed me forever…I’ll never be the same. Thanks STL, thanks...
Old 01-10-2008, 02:28 AM
KidEpoxy

It's not about the AMA Forum here on R/CU, it's about what's good for the AMA
It is?
Where does RCU say that?

While we are looking up the rules,
Where does RCU say rcu posters must be AMA members to post in the ama forum?

Perhaps this is a core root of problems,
some feel this forum purpose is solely to benefit ama,
while others feel the forum is unbiased, neither for or against the AMA.

Lets read up the RCU rules on the purpose of the AMA forum, lets see if it is solely to benefit the AMA rather than to benefit RCU users. Guys from RCU Heli forum, RCU Foamie forum, RCU 1/2A forum, RCU Beginers forum... these are the people the forum is for, not just AMA members that are looking for yet another place to agree on how infallable the AMA is, deleting any post that doesnt sing praises.

A couple years ago I asked about getting an Outlaw/Renegade/UnClubbed forum as seperate but equal, and was told the AMA forum wasnt Pro-AMA so we dont need a Non-AMA forum. If some folks want to make the current RCU AMA forum biased ProAMA only, then maybe we do need that seperate but equal Outlaw/UnClubbed forum.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:22 AM
Stickbuilder

It is?
Where does RCU say that?

Lets read up the RCU rules on the purpose of the AMA forum, lets see if it is solely to benefit the AMA rather than to benefit RCU users. Guys from RCU Heli forum, RCU Foamie forum, RCU 1/2A forum, RCU Beginers forum... these are the people the forum is for, not just AMA members that are looking for yet another place to agree on how infallable the AMA is, deleting any post that doesnt sing praises.

A couple years ago I asked about getting an Outlaw/Renegade/UnClubbed forum as seperate but equal, and was told the AMA forum wasnt Pro-AMA so we dont need a Non-AMA forum. If some folks want to make the current RCU AMA forum biased ProAMA only, then maybe we do need that seperate but equal Outlaw/UnClubbed forum.
I had promised myself that I was not going to do this. Having said that, If you are not a member of the AMA, then you have no dog in the fight. I can't help but wonder, if you are not a member, then why all the concern for what the AMA does. If you don't care enough about the AMA to join, and keep your membership from year to year, then all the ranting and raving should and probably does fall on deaf ears, since you are nothing but a cipher. Nothing that you post has any bearing on what is done in Muncie, since you don't belong to the organization in the first place. Why would you want to waste your time mouthing arguments to, or about an organization to which you don't belong? What is your reasoning behind this, or do you just enjoy having a place to come to and stir the pot? 5 will get you 10 that your other 4 pals can't wait to jump in on this one.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 01-10-2008, 06:26 AM
Mode One

It is?
Where does RCU say that?
RCU doesn't say this, I say it! If I had espoused R/CU position on this, I would have quoted their statements on the subject. The reason I say this is: I feel there is little; or, no benefit to any entity or person by the existence of this forum as it now exists! It's only a place where people are belittled, called names and argue endlessly over the same frivolous matters!

Old 01-10-2008, 06:48 AM
Roby

Please keep it open.

Regards,
Roby
Old 01-10-2008, 07:03 AM
2HI2C

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

It is?
Where does RCU say that?

If you are not a member of the AMA, then you have no dog in the fight. I can't help but wonder, if you are not a member, then why all the concern for what the AMA does. If you don't care enough about the AMA to join, and keep your membership from year to year, then all the ranting and raving should and probably does fall on deaf ears, since you are nothing but a cipher. Nothing that you post has any bearing on what is done in Muncie, since you don't belong to the organization in the first place. Why would you want to waste your time mouthing arguments to, or about an organization to which you don't belong? What is your reasoning behind this, or do you just enjoy having a place to come to and stir the pot? 5 will get you 10 that your other 4 pals can't wait to jump in on this one.

Bill, AMA 4720

I haven't posted in here but visit & read it some. I agree with Bill, If your not a member of the AMA then what difference does it make to you what they do ? I don't understand your position. With that said I will not get in a pissing contest with them, I just don't read what they have to say, I feel the RED hand coming on. KEEP IT OPEN.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:15 AM
kid chuckles

Well this is about the most civilised i have seen folks on this part of the forum in awhile. rofl. I have been on RCU for about a yr. now i would guess, and am a member of AMA if it hasn't ran out yet. But if so will re up. Now i am flying at a local unused soccer field and have HO ins. Even so the mag is descent enough and I can at anytime go to a AMA field present my card and fly there. The forum keeps me intrigued if nothing else and I learn ALOT from it.
All you got to do is pick a side of a topic being discussed or cussed and just join in. If you don't like either side then make one up and join in. That is the good. The bad is not everyone thinks like myself. And in that lies the problem. I just can't believe so many other are just wrong about what i am right about lol. This topic or poll is doing some good and I think is making folks really think about what they might or might not be getting from it and that all the arguing might be just a tad bit over what is called for at times.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:18 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: kid chuckles

and I can at anytime go to a AMA field present my card and fly there.

If your AMA has expired you can't. They renew every year in December... been that way for years now.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:27 AM
DelRay

I feel the same as you FG, and if one filters carefully there is good information to be found here.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:36 AM
kid chuckles

I better get on the stick then lol. Will re up today. Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.