Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA flying site assistance?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA flying site assistance?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 07:32 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AMA flying site assistance?

Hi All, Does anyone have any practical experience with the AMA flying site assistance program? There's an old EPA Superfund site by me, which from what I can see from aerial photos, looks to have an area suitable for RC. I've Emailed the AMA rep for my district and he's never replied. I'm just wondering if they're worth bothering with. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2008, 08:45 PM
The Toolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA flying site assistance?

I'd skip the rep (lot of'em are just interested in the title) an go right to the AMA. I think you'll get farther than you might think with'em.

Ronnie
Old 01-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Propbuster: Check in one of your MA magazines back about the front of the AMA News section, and find the "Flying Site Assistance" coordinators. I think you will find these guys willing to assist you. The Eastern Region coordinator, Joe Beshar, is very much a learned gentleman in the superfund stuff. He did negotiate that program, and he is very ardent to assist within the limitations that AMA allows him to do so.

Good luck!
Old 01-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Dead eyes

One of the clubs of which I belong to flies from an old garbage dump. The city is proud that we turned it into a recreation center.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:57 AM
Nathan_L

My old club wanted to see if we could get any help or anything...we tried for months to contact anyone listed for our district and straigh to Muncie with a problem we were having. Advice was sought mostly. I think after 6 months we finally gave up (I know I did and I was in charge of contacting someone). About a year later someone contacted our club president and by then we didn't need it.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:46 AM
propbuster

Thanks for the replies guys!
Hossfly, Joe Beshar is the guy I Emailed. I've got the phone # from the AMA site and will try to get in touch with him personally. I've finally found out who owns the property (Halliburton) and have a P.O. Box address in Oklahoma for them.
Dead eyes, I belong to a club in the next county over from me and it's at an old landfill too. It's a long trip driving there and while it's someplace to fly, the place is full of obstacles (power lines, big trailers, huge pile of old tires and the like) also there always seems to be a 45 degree crosswind.

The biggest problem where I live (the mountains of Western NC) is the lack of any flat open areas. This site I found looks ideal as it's in the middle of 1600 acres with no houses near enough to bother them. From what I can measure via the aerial shots, it's about 350' wide and 550' long and LEVEL! Hard to find that in the mountains. Here's an aerial shot of it. Wish me luck, Prop[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53284.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	855761  
Old 01-20-2008, 12:19 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: propbuster

Thanks for the replies guys!
Hossfly, Joe Beshar is the guy I Emailed. I've got the phone # from the AMA site and will try to get in touch with him personally. I've finally found out who owns the property (Halliburton) and have a P.O. Box address in Oklahoma for them.
Dead eyes, I belong to a club in the next county over from me and it's at an old landfill too. It's a long trip driving there and while it's someplace to fly, the place is full of obstacles (power lines, big trailers, huge pile of old tires and the like) also there always seems to be a 45 degree crosswind.

The biggest problem where I live (the mountains of Western NC) is the lack of any flat open areas. This site I found looks ideal as it's in the middle of 1600 acres with no houses near enough to bother them. From what I can measure via the aerial shots, it's about 350' wide and 550' long and LEVEL! Hard to find that in the mountains. Here's an aerial shot of it. Wish me luck, Prop[8D]
Good luck with your acquisition. I think if you contact the AMA again you will get some help now.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:11 PM
propbuster

Update, One call to Joe Beshar, a little investigating to get the EPA ID# for the site, and an Email to Joe regarding the particulars, and the ball is rolling! Even our new president (to all of us that are AMA members) Dave Mathewson, picked up on my original post and we've been in contact via Email regarding the situation. Dave himself has been very helpful by passing along to me the names of a couple of clubs which have been successful with this program already. I've also got the interest of a couple of other local RC flyers and am sure if this endevour continues favorably, more will not be hard to find. Hopefully this will be the start of a new AMA chartered club in my area with few if any noise and times you can and can't fly restrictions! Wish us Luck and I'll post updates as things develop.[8D]
Old 02-10-2008, 09:08 PM
propbuster

Update: I've been contacted by a fellow from an enviromental and economic consulting firm. They seem to be the liason between the AMA and the EPA in the program. After speaking to the gentelman from the firm and a couple of emails, the latest news is that after them getting the EPA's go ahead to contact the project manager for the site that works for Halliburton, they did and he gave gave the nod to pass it along to their legal department. Looks promising so far, and will keep my fingers crossed where Lawyers are concerned