Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA MEMBERS: Here is another NOT-TO-MISS.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA MEMBERS: Here is another NOT-TO-MISS.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AMA MEMBERS: Here is another NOT-TO-MISS.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/blogs/pres.aspx

OK Guys here is one close to what many have been asking for. This could really be an important change to what has been.

Here below is my first answer to the Blog. Don't let me get ahead of you. Go give Mr. President Dave some subjects that are close to your heart.

Hello Mr. President:

Reference your statement:
"If you have any additional ideas on the type of information you'd like to see in my posts here, drop me an email and let me know.

Dave"

How about some monthly news on:
(1) AMA membership numbers: Renewals, comparability to last year, anything indicating a possible trend for swing back up, How many joining PPP, etc. ?

(2) Feedback reports on last year's TAG program. How many selected clubs really do/did it? No whitewash, just real straight facts. Why the change from merchandise to cash for 08?

(3) The feasability or lack thereof of a Traveling NATs. I'm convinced that such is not feasable but there are those that think it would be the greatest thing since microwave popcorn.

(4) >>> EC Motions, AMA Web site.
"MOTION IV: Moved by G. Fitch (II) and seconded by B. Brown (III) that the Executive Council shall allow each district vice president to establish the number of AVPs in his or her district.
MOTION passed unanimously"
<<<<
Does that mean that a good liberal DVP can make each district member an AVP? [sm=49_49.gif]

To be Continued:

Horrace D. Cain
AMA L-93

The Second Amendment -- The Original and Best Homeland Security.
Founder and Sustaining Member, NRA Second Amendment Task Force.
Founder and Sustaining Member, The American Air Museum in Great Britain
Named Recognition, The National Air and Space Exploration Wall of Honor, Udvar-Hazy Center.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/blogs/pres.aspx

Edited to rephrase a sentence.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:23 AM
SSRCCPREZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA MEMBERS: Here is another NOT-TO-MISS.

Hoss,
With all due respect whats wrong with allowing the DVP's to name as many AVP's as they believe they need to effectively manage a given district. I understand that this could get unreasonable, but frankly I dont think there are that many people willing to step up as an AVP. I htink this is a great step in the right direction. Remember now that in order to be an AVP you need to be a leader member first, so in order for a Liberal DVP to make everyone an AVP, than everyone would first have to apply to be a leader member. So, looking at the number of LEader members ina given district, weeding out the ones that havent done much in recent times then gleaning from that people who WANT to be an AVP, I do not think we are talking about a lot of people. Further, it is up to the discretion of the DVP to name a given number of people to be elevated to AVP status and then the given DVP would be responsible for managing them.

Just saying, more representation is not a bad thing.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:33 PM
abel_pranger

Hoss-

Tnx for pointing that out. Imagine, an AMA prexy that wants to have a dialog with interested members! Just maybe could result in more interested members...........

Abel
Old 02-13-2008, 10:34 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: SSRCCPREZ

Hoss,
With all due respect whats wrong with allowing the DVP's to name as many AVP's as they believe they need to effectively manage a given district.
I never said anything about right or WRONG. The EC approved motion never mentioned "....effectively manage..."

I understand that this could get unreasonable, but frankly I dont think there are that many people willing to step up as an AVP. I htink this is a great step in the right direction. Remember now that in order to be an AVP you need to be a leader member first....
Where does the "....step up... come from? Now any DVP has carte-blanche to appoint anyone and all to the position. Obtaining Leader member is by the stroke of a pen, and the item has happened several times. For example ask some D-5 people how one person was made a leader almost overnight and filled in there for a few months. When I ran for DVP against the good doctor, another person was made leader almost overnight to pad the ballot. SHOT happens.
With the low voter turnout, a DVP can easily assure his position by having an AVP in each club. There will always be someone to latch on any position that promises some hint of personal power.

, so in order for a Liberal DVP to make everyone an AVP, than everyone would first have to apply to be a leader member. So, looking at the number of LEader members ina given district, weeding out the ones that havent done much in recent times then gleaning from that people who WANT to be an AVP, I do not think we are talking about a lot of people. Further, it is up to the discretion of the DVP to name a given number of people to be elevated to AVP status and then the given DVP would be responsible for managing them.

Just saying, more representation is not a bad thing.
How do you know just how many Leader members exist in any district? AMA would NOT provide me with a list of Leader members even when I requested them.
Who will weed them out? Don Lowe (then Pres.) and Bob Underwood (then Technical Director) tried that back in the late '80s. In phone conversation with B.U. he stated he nor Lowe knew why people were made Leader because they were active Contest Directors. Would you have any idea just who might have informed him where the written policy could be found?
Of course it did not take them long to persuade the EC to remove said policy. They did do some weeding. Unfortunately when JW sent a secreary to a school for Robert's Rules of Order, and they discovered how to use the "Standing Rules" to "explain" Bylaws, well the leader was not really of any use anymore, other than just to be one. [&o]

So the AMA Pres. is asking for feedback. I ask him a question about a motion which I did not, in this thread, either condemn or condone.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:58 AM
SSRCCPREZ

Hoss,
I was merely pointing out some thoughts here. I will say that you tend to go back in history a little... I would prefer to allow our new President and EC to be given a chance to turn things around before we condemn them for others actions. I am in D1, Andy is a stand up statesman, I am not worried about him, however, I also do not think Andy should have his hands tied because of some potential problem with another DVP. I would love to be an AVP and maybe run for DVP someday in the future. I like these ideas, I will be watching the impact and implimintation closely.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Hossfly

(2) Feedback reports on last year's TAG program. How many selected clubs really do/did it? No whitewash, just real straight facts. Why the change from merchandise to cash for 08?
Please Check the Blog: http://www.modelaircraft.org/blogs/pres.aspx

Mr. AMA President did it up extremely well on this one. Much better than even this pessimist ever expected. Very good background material.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:15 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Mr. AMA President did it up extremely well on this one. Much better than even this pessimist ever expected. Very good background material.
Roger that, Hoss. I have long suspected I might like AMA better if we had an AMA President that used his ears to communicate with clubs/members as well as his mouth. This guy is tending to confirm that suspicion.

Abel
Old 02-23-2008, 12:10 AM
busted2props
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Roger that, Hoss. I have long suspected I might like AMA better if we had an AMA President that used his ears to communicate with clubs/members as well as his mouth. This guy is tending to confirm that suspicion.

Abel
TAG can really work. The past can prove that. Before TAG, some clubs used to put on flying demos at organized events--full scale fly-ins and other unknown events (company gatherings ie picinics, small business gatherings, at the request of school administrators, etc...)..Alot of questions were asked and at the end of the day a few even decided to give R/C a try. Imagine that. A positive image for R/C.