Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Tech Director......or NOT?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
A seperate TD position is essential
45.65%
The AMA President should handle it
23.91%
Out source the job to India
30.43%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Tech Director......or NOT?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 10:50 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Tech Director......or NOT?

Recent events have me questioning the need for a full time tech director. Seems like the AMA President should be able to cover the day to day "technical needs". If you ask me, it seems like a dead wood position...excess baggage.
What say you?
Old 04-03-2008, 11:41 PM
KidEpoxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tech Director......or NOT?

If the ARFs are made in China, why outsorce to India?
Go to the source!
Old 04-03-2008, 11:42 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I voted for the essential choice because that postion requires a person that is tech savy
and the president may not be the one with the savy for the job or have the time.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:14 AM
combatpigg

What do you suppose the TD does, "day in and day out" that is of such a critical and technical nature?
Any examples of something tangible?
Any examples of a matter that is too complex for the president to comprehend?

It is kind of funny what people of today perceive to be essential. In the 1970s and earlier most high schools had a head football coach and maybe a paid assistant. Nowadays all the schools have offensive and defensive coordinators, electronic communication to spotters on the grandstand roof, etc. All on the taxpayers' nickle....but oh so essential.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:15 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

What do you suppose the TD does, "day in and day out" that is of such a critical and technical nature?
I guess mowing doesn't count.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:43 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

All on the taxpayers' nickle....but oh so essential.
There is an opt out solution to that problem, just like there is a solution to opt out of the AMA. I'm certainly not paying for your electronic whatever he does at your school.

As far as any dead wood position for the AMA, why don't some of you guys that aer not happy happy with how the company is run step up to the plate and show us how to do it better?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, it's just the AMA has delivered EVERYTHING they promised me since the first day I ever signed up. I've gotten every magazine. I've gotten some free DVD's, I've gotten to utilize THEIR local clubs and local clubs sites. And best of all I've never once heard anyone or know anyone that has not gotten their insurance denied for just cause. So what if the AMA is not growing as fast as some of your want it too, they at least deliver what they promise.

I mean what else could you ask for??
Old 04-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any examples of something tangible?
Any examples of a matter that is too complex for the president to comprehend?

It is kind of funny what people of today perceive to be essential. In the 1970s and earlier most high schools had a head football coach and maybe a paid assistant. Nowadays all the schools have offensive and defensive coordinators, electronic communication to spotters on the grandstand roof, etc. All on the taxpayers' nickle....but oh so essential.
Sometimes the Technical Director mows the grass, but only if the E.D. says it's okay, otherwise, it's off with his head

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 04-04-2008, 08:21 AM
The Toolman

Somebody for the Fat Guy to fire?

Ronnie
Old 04-04-2008, 08:27 AM
JUGFLIER

I voted India. Smetimes i think it would be better if no one understood what they said, or in this case wrote.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:34 AM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

I really am curious what the TD does for the AMA. Certainly, there are other definitions of "technology" than I happen to think of when I see the word, but from MY observation:

The AMA's website is horridly designed, poorly maintained, and legacy "technology" at best.

The AMA's "billing"...that is, the handling of dues payments via charge cards etc, is so far behind the times as to be downright problematic.

The AMA is consistently and regularly behind the modeling community on the understanding, use, or reporting of various technological advances, issues, or problems within the hobby.

The AMA has repeatedly been either unable or unwilling to make efficient (or in some cases ANY) use of the technology at hand to communicate with and best serve its membership. Indeed, this thread and a few others exist specifically because the officer one would presume to be responsible for doing so has VILIFIED the very members who DO make regular and efficient use of it.

=============

Now, as I say, these are the things that I think of when I think of "use of technology". Websites, computerized systems, electronic equipment int he hobby, etc. It's entirely possible that the job description for the TD within the AMA is different, or addresses a different type of "technology".

Sure would like to know, however.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:39 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I too want to know what the TD does.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:53 AM
combatpigg

The other question is when was the job created? What was the reasoning? Does the reason for why the job was created still exist? I have the same questions about the business reps down at the union hall. They are all excellent hand shakers and decal passer-outers, but it is hard to put a finger on anything solid that they actually do on a consistant basis..
Old 04-04-2008, 11:36 AM
KidEpoxy

Maybe the TD figures out technical stuff,
like developing the AMA method/procedure to verify PPPs are only flying at 60mph.
That seems like a technical thing, somebody's got to figure out the official method, why not have the TD do it.
Old 04-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Bob Mitchell

The other question is when was the job created? What was the reasoning? Does the reason for why the job was created still exist? I have the same questions about the business reps down at the union hall. They are all excellent hand shakers and decal passer-outers, but it is hard to put a finger on anything solid that they actually do on a consistant basis..
If one doesn't know when or why the position was created, nor what the person who occupies the position actually does, how can one conclude one way or the other whether the position is necessary? On what basis should someone choose an option in the poll? Because they don't like something the guy said or should it be based on facts about the position?

Bob
AMA 903015
Old 04-04-2008, 12:30 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: mitchell170

If one doesn't know when or why the position was created, nor what the person who occupies the position actually does, how can one conclude one way or the other whether the position is necessary? On what basis should someone choose an option in the poll? Because they don't like something the guy said or should it be based on facts about the position?

Bob
AMA 903015
Welcome to the AMA forums! Judge thee let thee be judged, without judgment.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:35 PM
combatpigg

M170, first of all...aren't you curious about what in the world COULD keep a TD occupied with urgently needed work day to day? A lot of us in the real world do have urgently needed services. If the need goes away, so does the position. In government-like institutions you rarely see the obsolete jobs purged from the system.....you might see a re-shuffling off the deck and the same deadwood resurfacing elsewhere after a lateral transfer, but it's rare to see a true elimination of un-needed personel.
You are right about what qualifies people to answer the poll, I'm not qualified. All I can do is choose the answer that best suits my suspiscions. I was hoping that some of the poll takers would be able to leave qualified reasons for why or why not, in reference to the need for a TD full time.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:57 PM
littlecrankshaf

The only time I ever dealt with the previous TD was to clarify rules concerning safety of an event for a club I once belonged to. It didn’t matter that I had in an email a clear and concise pronouncement by the TD of the rules…the officiates of the club event had preconceived notions that could only be dispelled by their individual phone calls to others within the org…so maybe a TD position is of no real value. AS far as real technology issues goes the TD can only do what we all do…evaluate what is on the market and give an opinion. In this age the TD will always be behind the curve but with the right guy in the position, at least we can be assured of the correct labeling of the members. That is important.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Bob Mitchell

>> M170, first of all...aren't you curious about what in the world COULD keep a TD occupied with urgently needed work day to day?<<

I suspect that there are a lot of things that COULD keep a technical director busy. Without a position description it's pretty hard to know though. Right?

>> You are right about what qualifies people to answer the poll, I'm not qualified. All I can do is choose the answer that best suits my suspiscions. <<

So, you started the poll and voted for one of your choices without being qualified to do so? Suspicions based on just what? Unfounded supositions and SWAGS? Given the comments about this guy here over the past few days, yours included, the timing of this "poll" is rather interesting. It seems rather clear that you mind is made up, without any factual information on which to base the decision, other than the obvious (this is not a quote) 'I don't like what this guy said so I don't think his job is necessary.'

Given the primary thoughts in this guy's column there is more than just a bit of irony here.

>>I was hoping that some of the poll takers would be able to leave qualified reasons for why or why not, in reference to the need for a TD full time. <<

How could anyone reading this message board be qualified to answer the question or provide "qualified" reasons unless they are intimately involved with the day to day operations of AMA, and have specific knowledge of his position description and the reason he was hired?

Does anyone even know if this is a full time paid position? If so how much? Without specific answers to the questions I've posted here this poll degrades to nothing more than an on-line kangaroo court.

Is this not just a perfect example of the types of postings he was addressing in his column?

Oh, the irony!

Bob
AMA 903015
Old 04-04-2008, 02:27 PM
KidEpoxy

AS far as real technology issues goes the TD can only do what we all do…evaluate what is on the market and give an opinion
What color shirt should they wear while doing that? Orange & Black?
Old 04-04-2008, 02:43 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

What color shirt should they wear while doing that? Orange & Black?
LOL

No...Green...ParkZone Green at that… the only politically correct color...unfortunately it causes cancer in California.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:15 PM
combatpigg

M170, the timing of this topic is connected to recent circumstances........I've already explained that and make no bones about it.
As far as getting some expert input about the daily duties of the TD, there are a couple of posters here who do have a working knowledge of what goes on at HQ. Plus you never know who else might chime in.
I think it is interesting to have a subject like this that serves to reveal how little most of us know about what the TD is there to do...to know what what value we get for having that spot on the payroll. I'll bet that 99% of those who voted that the position is essential but did not leave reason for why they believe that to be so are just the "AMA groupies".
Old 04-04-2008, 05:38 PM
littlecrankshaf

I'll bet that 99% of those who voted that the position is essential but did not leave reason for why they believe that to be so are just the "AMA groupies".
If you would give 100 to one odds on that I'll bet a dollar...well maybe 50 cents...ummm... I'd have think about it a liitle more...sorry...just can't help making a bet but i hate losing...I guess I'll just pass. Thanks anyway.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:40 PM
The Toolman

The more they can keep the members in the dark about, the more they can get away with. I guess you could use the mushroom analogy.......

Ronnie
Old 04-04-2008, 06:27 PM
combatpigg

This business about the "techno-guy" in the corner office who nobody really knows what he does is funny and it happened to me when I was in the Army. My MOS was the first to receive training in micro-processor controlled equipment. Out of the 50 or so guys in my MOS total, there were just 2 of us who got this training [initially]. When it came time to go before a review board for promotion, they had no way to quiz me on my technical knowledge....I was sent into a private room to write a 6 question exam that they could quiz me on as soon as was done writing the "test".
From that moment on, I learned that if you play your cards right, the "tech guy" can lead a pretty charmed life.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:39 PM
My Feedback: (1)

M170, the timing of this topic is connected to recent circumstances........I've already explained that and make no bones about it.
As far as getting some expert input about the daily duties of the TD, there are a couple of posters here who do have a working knowledge of what goes on at HQ. Plus you never know who else might chime in.
I think it is interesting to have a subject like this that serves to reveal how little most of us know about what the TD is there to do...to know what what value we get for having that spot on the payroll. I'll bet that 99% of those who voted that the position is essential but did not leave reason for why they believe that to be so are just the "AMA groupies".

Job title: Technical Director
Function: Competitions Director
Has Administrative Assistant and Sanctions Secretary to assist him.

I'm sure he will have other duties, like writing a column in MA (probably no more editorials, tho)

If you wanna know more, call Muncie. The # is on the back of your card, if you have one. If not, 765-287-1256

But based on your last thought in the above quote, do you really want to know, or just casting bait?

Signed, AMA Groupie #813426(who voted AFTER doing just a little bit of research).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.