Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Anything AMA or anybody, no set subject

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Anything AMA or anybody, no set subject

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 03:03 PM
The Toolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anything AMA or anybody, no set subject

Maybe we can use this thread an not get locked down for going off subject. Anything or anybody in the ama goes here.............

Ronnie-The Toolman
Old 04-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Anything AMA or anybody, no set subject

There is already a forum for this called the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_391/tt.htm]Off topic Forum[/link] [8D] Anything off topic can be deleted from any other forum. (if it gets deleted anwhere else in the AMA forum, it will here too)
Old 04-11-2008, 03:16 PM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: Acs_guitars

There is already a forum for this called the [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_391/tt.htm]Off topic Forum[/link] [8D] Anything off topic can be deleted from any other forum. (if it gets deleted anwhere else in the AMA forum, it will here too)

"Maybe we can use this thread an not get locked down for going off subject. Anything or anybody in the ama goes here............. "

And how is this going to be off topic when it only involves ama and its members in the AMA forum??????????????????????????

Ronnie
Old 04-11-2008, 03:41 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

Because this is a pointless thread.... Just being honest. If there is no topic to start, then why would the thread continue? No one is going to want to read a thread that changes topics and goes no where.

I read your original post, and I, as an educated adult, understood what you were saying. It just makes no sense to have a thread about nothing. I guess it worked for Larry David and Jerry Seinfeld, so why not RCU. [&:]
Old 04-11-2008, 04:08 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Here are my concerns about letting a thread such as this to run in this forum. The reason for having thread titles in a forum is so that people can identify the contents of that thread by simply looking at the thread list in that forum. When you have a thread titled such as this there is no indication of what is contained inside of that thread. Therefore it's impossible for people to know if the thread is something that they want to read or not. This is exactly why RCU threads have titles and why we insist that the threads stay on the topic of that title. Let's face it, we all expect to get what we were expecting when we open a thread up. For instance, if the thread title was "Tiger Woods is the greatest golfer" and when the thread is opened up the content is about "The Dallas Cowboys" you are going to be a bit turned off.

Off topic threads such as this are even worse because there is no way to tell from the beginning what the thread is about. How many people do you think are going to open a up a multi page thread and read entirely through the content if they don't have some clue about what the thread is going to talk about? So actually, a thread like this is actually hurting your chances of having others respond to it.

It has been my experience here on RCU that when people try to make these "catch-all" threads they do it in hopes that they can bypass the rules of RCU because the thread doesn't have a specific topic to discuss. This usually doesn't matter because threads like this usually don't last long anyways. They will usually die out from inactivity, or more likely they will be removed or closed by a moderator. I don't see how a thread such as this can have any benefit for the AMA forum. If you have a subject to discuss I would recommend you start a thread on that subject. The AMA forum has always been a forum where the members will speak their minds on a subject and it's my fear that if they think a thread is "wide open" it will quickly get out of hand. Because of this I am going to lock this thread.

Ken