Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA LEADER Members: Work headed your way.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA LEADER Members: Work headed your way.

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AMA LEADER Members: Work headed your way.

OK Guys the recent AMA Executive Council has approved work for your considerations.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...ecmotions.aspx

Some of it is, IMO, no contest however one underlying item is far too apparent to even be smiled at.

Read 'em and weep or smile however pay special attention to these motions which could IMO well make a significant change in favor of inside politics and bureaucracy. [:'(]

Copied from AMA public web site noted above. Bold indicates my opinion of special note.
>>>>>>
MOTION VIII: Moved by B. Nelson (XI) and seconded by M. Smith (IX) to submit the changes to AMA Bylaws Article X Officers, Section 4 to the Leader Members for ratification.
MOTION passed unanimously

Section 4 to read: “The Executive Vice President is an Officer of the AMA, and will perform such duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the President or the Executive Council of the AMA. The Executive Vice President shall assume the duties of the President in the event a vacancy as described in Section 2, until such vacancy is filled, and when so acting shall have all the powers of, and be subject to all of the restrictions upon the President.â€

MOTION IX: Moved by T. Stillman (V) and seconded by M. Smith (IX) to submit the re-write of AMA Bylaws Article X Officers, Section 1 to the Leader Members for ratification.

Section 1 to read: “The Officers of the AMA shall be a President, an Executive Vice President, a Chief Financial Officer, and a Vice President to represent each of the AMA Districts. Terms of Office for the President, Executive Vice President and Vice Presidents representing each of the AMA Districts shall be 3 calendar years or until their successors are elected. All terms of office shall begin January 1. The Chief Financial Officer shall be appointed by ¾ affirmative vote of the Executive Council to a three-year term. In addition, there shall be an Executive Director who shall be selected by a ¾ affirmative note of the Executive Council, and who shall serve in accordance with a contract approved by the Executive Council.â€

MOTION X: Moved by G. Fitch (II) and seconded by B. Nelson (XI) to submit the new AMA Bylaws Article X Officers, Section 8 to the Leader Members for ratification.

New Section 8: “The Chief Financial Officer/Treasurer of the AMA shall be an Officer of the AMA and a non-voting ex-officio member of the Executive Council. The Chief Financial Officer shall be appointed by a ¾ affirmative vote of the Executive Council at the first Executive Council meeting after the election of the even-numbered District Vice Presidents for a 3-year term. The Chief Financial Officer/Treasurer position is a voluntary Executive Council Board position. The Chief Financial Officer/Treasurer shall serve in accordance with the position description of functions and be subject to minimum qualifications and experience as adopted by the Executive Council.â€
<<<<<<<<<<<<

In my experience with AMA EC, et. al., I recommend that these items be rejected by the Leader Members. Read them carefully and you can see that separating the Chief Financial Officer from the Ex. VP also separates the CFO to a Good-'Ol Boy position by being APPOINTED, not elected. In addition the Ex. VP now becomes simply a lackey subject to the whims of the EC who will have total control of his duties and reelection status. Talking about being between the frying pan and the fire, with no authority at all, who would want such a position other than a total wimp?

It all says to me that Mr. Holland wants to get out of the elective position while retaining total control of the AMA finances on the back burner, without any possibility of recourse. [:-]

VOTE NO on these 3 motions. These items are an INSULT to YOUR intelligence. Regular members, start talking with your Leader buddies. Say NO WAY.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:00 PM
The Toolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA LEADER Members: Work headed your way.

Talking about being between the frying pan and the fire, with no authority at all, who would want such a position other than a total wimp?

Hoss, we got a good one for that position right here on our ama forum..............

Ronnie
Old 04-28-2008, 02:25 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Hossfly,

Thanks for the heads up.

Signed,

New Leader Member
Old 04-28-2008, 05:13 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

edited and deleted
Old 04-29-2008, 06:20 PM
burtona
My Feedback: (50)

Maybe it's just a way to keep Doug's considerable AMA knowledge and financial expertise available to AMA after he retires.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Silent-AV8R

I have no issue in appointing a CFO. I trust that the EC is capable of identifying the best person to fill this important position. I like separating out that job as a non-voting member of the EC too. We elect the EC and trust them to make certain decisions, like who to hire for the Executive Director position. I see this as no different.

Bill Malvey
Leader Member 4172
Old 05-01-2008, 04:30 PM
frankp
My Feedback: (34)

Horrace,

Another eloquent post. Over the years, I have agreed with your fear of the "Good old boys club". I have had many long discussions with Andy Argenio (By-laws committee chair) on this very subject. It is no secret that Andy and I are good friends but that does not stop me from disagreeing with him. On this issue, I agree with Bill Malvey as well as Andy. The EC must pick the CFO and MUST be held accountable for their choice. All of the canidates must be well veted. If the wrong person were to be appointed, the AMA could be in real financial trouble.

In closing, I hope that you will be a member of the Bi-Laws committee. You have a lot to contribute.

Frank V. Ponteri
AMA Leader Member
Old 05-01-2008, 10:19 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: frankp

Horrace,

Another eloquent post. Over the years, I have agreed with your fear of the "Good old boys club". I have had many long discussions with Andy Argenio (By-laws committee chair) on this very subject. It is no secret that Andy and I are good friends but that does not stop me from disagreeing with him. On this issue, I agree with Bill Malvey as well as Andy. The EC must pick the CFO and MUST be held accountable for their choice. All of the canidates must be well veted. If the wrong person were to be appointed, the AMA could be in real financial trouble.

In closing, I hope that you will be a member of the Bi-Laws committee. You have a lot to contribute.

Frank V. Ponteri
AMA Leader Member
Thanks for the kind words Frank, but something is going over my head. First you say "eloquent post" then you say "The EC must pick the CFO and ne held accountable for their choice"

Those two items don't seem to agree as I understand your comments. The EC is not NOW held responsible for anything and only the membership could do so. 90% of the AMA membership has no idea what the EC is, how they function, and/or fail to function.
The annual elections definitely prove that statement.

AMA is neither publicly or privately owned. The CFO must remain an elected position. As soon as it becomes appointed, it just also becomes another lackey for the EC, and could well become a toady gainfully used by the ED.
The elected position does offer some chances of insight into the CFO's operation. An appointed position offers nothing but a big cover to hide under while keeping all 10 fingers in the pie. [sm=greedy.gif]
Old 05-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Hossfly

Leader members can expect ballots in early June.