Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

about ama membership

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

about ama membership

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:09 AM
ww29

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about ama membership

i paid for my membership and was active on april 15 it has been a month and everytime i call i get a run around about it being in the mail.what kind of orgination is this if u cant get a simple piece of paper u paid for to be able to fly?this is such a joke waiting for membership to arive in the mail.all i get from them it was sent out on may 2.why take 3 weeks to mail it out then give someone a run around.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:41 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: about ama membership

If it's active what's your problem? Go fly and quit whinning!
Old 05-09-2008, 12:56 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Go ahead and fly anyway. AMA is not the model airplane police/government that issue licensing to fly models...they and others may wish they were but they are not...only if you allow them to govern... then you have a problem.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:46 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

If you are trying to join a club, and they want your AMA number before they let you fly, call or email the AMA and ask them to tell you your AMA number. You can give this to the club, and they can verify your membership on the AMA's website (they just need your last name and AMA number to verify your membership is current).

http://www.modelaircraft.org/MembershipQuery.aspx
Old 05-09-2008, 02:56 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently had a letter sent from downtown take 10 days to arrive at my place in the next zipcode. At one time the AMA outsourced the mailing of AMA cards. Several years ago I did not receive my card. I called and then received mine and someone else's as well. I found the other fellow in the phone book and sent his card on to him.

Membership is usually the first contact a modeler has with AMA function. Mailing out cards, etc. should be handled flawlessly. Else the new member immediately begins to form a bad image of the AMA.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:17 AM
littlecrankshaf

I have said this before but bears repeating again since this thread points to something that should be added to the to-do/fix list. Of course, the AMA is just to busy with programming or program creations to consider such but here goes anyway.

Someone proclaiming to be a worthy pilot can show up at an AMA event such as a big bird or whatever and without any knowledge whatsoever of the so called pilot's competency he can be signed up for AMA right then and there... on the spot...then immediately go fly or crash or whatever his 80" P-51 during the event until his heart's desires are met but an enthusiastic new prospect for a club will be given some hoops to jump through while his enthusiasm wanes. Doesn't make any sense.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:37 PM
ww29

i am not in a club but were i go to fly i have to have the membership card in my hand nothing emailed to the club no exceptions.vicman i am not whinning it is the rules were i go to fly.if u dont know dont put in u little 2 cents keep u nose out of it unless u know the facts.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:40 PM
vicman

They will send you a fax if you ask for one.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:14 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: ww29

i am not in a club but were i go to fly i have to have the membership card in my hand nothing emailed to the club no exceptions.vicman i am not whinning it is the rules were i go to fly.if u dont know dont put in u little 2 cents keep u nose out of it unless u know the facts.
ww29

Would you mind telling us where you intend to fly so that we understand your predicament better? Is it a public or private flying site? Is there a club or clubs that also fly there? Thanks in advance for sharing with us. Blue skies and good flying to you.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:26 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 05-13-2008, 05:24 PM
busted2props
My Feedback: (9)

WW29,
Just get your fax and go fly. I'm with vicman. I have flown in numerous States and in SE Asia and have never run into the problem you are describing.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:27 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

I have said this before but bears repeating again since this thread points to something that should be added to the to-do/fix list. Of course, the AMA is just to busy with programming or program creations to consider such but here goes anyway.

Someone proclaiming to be a worthy pilot can show up at an AMA event such as a big bird or whatever and without any knowledge whatsoever of the so called pilot's competency he can be signed up for AMA right then and there... on the spot...then immediately go fly or crash or whatever his 80" P-51 during the event until his heart's desires are met but an enthusiastic new prospect for a club will be given some hoops to jump through while his enthusiasm wanes. Doesn't make any sense.
That may be possible at some locations but the landowner of our field will not permit this. They have to have their AMA card in hand and get a permit to fly at the field. We get permission 3X a year which allows us to have current AMA members fly without County permits. E-mails and Faxes are not accepted by the County.

So, it is not as free and easy everywhere as it is where you live.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:31 PM
vicman

OK Ed, to the point.
Griping about it in RCU is not going to yeild any kind of result other than griping.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:35 PM
aeajr

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Quite true!
Old 06-05-2008, 03:29 PM
turdfergerson

ww29, I feel your pain. I ordered a month ago and my card still has not come in. unlike your situation, the good folks at my field let me continue to fly. Once my card comes in I am then able to get my laminated field pass from the club. until that day I will just continue to check the mailbox everyday.........waiting.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:38 PM
abel_pranger

Roolze is roolze. If you have no choice but to fly where the All Powerful Rooler roolze, you wait for His Majesty Farouk I, by the grace of God, King of Egypt, to relieve his flatulence upwind of your unworthy hide.

Abel
Old 06-05-2008, 08:57 PM
kid chuckles

Edited because i got carried away trying to get to the point, then found out I don't know what the point if after all rofl.