Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Model airplanes might get parked

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Model airplanes might get parked

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:19 PM
KidEpoxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Model airplanes might get parked

That is a good idea.

Go for a PR media blitz.

Get superactive in community & social programs,
and invite the media out for "Flying For Food" can drive, and Big Brother Day, or Wilson Elemetary Day or whatever. You start shoveling aid & support to the local needy, and the media will paint you as saints.... and thats when you mention you wont be doing it again next year because the parks chick is pulling the plug. Media loves a Heros vs Villan story almost as much as they love taking shots at local government problems.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

K-3 Valley: LOVE IT! Whoop-Te-Do
Old 06-26-2008, 04:40 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

K-3 Valley: LOVE IT! Whoop-Te-Do
Dang! Hoss-

The joke went over my head.[] I'm wondering about the presumed gender of somebody named Keith????????

Abel
Old 06-26-2008, 09:21 PM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Abel, you got me I misread it, maybe Keith wants to be a woman?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:35 PM
Cybertom

Old 06-26-2008, 11:10 PM
sgtmike74

You're screwed!

I really think you need to start getting as much media attention as you can.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:06 AM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From the cartoon it's not too hard to see what side the cartoonist is on. Maybe if the cartoonist was a little better educated, the cartoonist would be a RC aviator and not just a cartoonist.

"DRONES", GIMME A BREAK !!!!!

Cybertom, I know this doesn't help any in solving your problems at hand, but the cartoon really p***** me off.

The cartoonist does have one thing correct though, the pilot is in total control, with a big smile on his face, having fun. As for the other side of the tree line, that feller might be looking for the skis he lost.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:36 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: DelRay

From the cartoon it's not too hard to see what side the cartoonist is on. Maybe if the cartoonist was a little better educated, the cartoonist would be a RC aviator and not just a cartoonist.

GREAT POINT! Or is it? The brain washing is making things less clear.

Education... to educate...Hmmm... nah...We should continue to do the same things and expect different results like a few of the better educated here suggest.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:04 PM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some help, maybe,

First, Cybertom, two of your statements could be viewed as incorrect:

In post11 you stated;†In 38-years of continuous operation (NOT 27-years) we have never had anyone hit by an airplane.†True no “person†has been hit, but in the first two years of the club at the previous location on the fairgrounds (about 800 feet south of where you are now, to the east of the tree line and south of the entrance road. A plane did loose control and went through the roof of the horse barn on the east edge of the fairgrounds. Fortunately the barn was empty at the time. Also the club has been flying off the fairgrounds since at least the summer 1968, so it’s closer to a 40-year history.

Secondly, in post 16 you stated “The FAA has control over 700ft. Anything below 700ft. is a local matter.†The FAA has legal jurisdiction down to the ground. Full-scale aircraft are not supposed to fly within 500 feet of persons or buildings, note that it’s 500 feet away not above. A plane can be skimming the ground in uncontrolled airspace so long as it stays 500 feet away.

For the rest of you the Goodyear/ Corsair model club had been pretty small until the last decade when several other clubs in NE Ohio folded, and all of the other folks flocked to this one last flying site, swelling the membership.

And if the rules are you can’t operate RC planes in the parks why have they been letting you fly off the Portage Lakes site down south?

Lastly if you need more support that an RC club can operate safely in the middle of a city parks complex, please see The Oklahoma Radio Kontrol Society (TORKS) at: http://www.torks.net/

We’ve been at this site in the NW side of Oklahoma City since 1961, 47 years without a single spectator injury.

I’ll be happy to send you a copy of our lease agreement if it will help

Tom Solinski
AMA 8026
TORKS Vice Pres.
Goodyear Model Airplane Club member 1968-1977
FAA Reliability Engineer
Old 06-27-2008, 12:12 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

nah...We should continue to do the same things and expect different results like a few of the better educated here suggest.
Or maybe we could throw around inuendos and make snide remarks that seems to be working as well...whadya think???
If you were directing this at me, you can go back and read my previous posts, tha apology still stands.
If you think this bunch of guys in charge of the Parks Dept is interested in learning about our toy airplanes I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell to you.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:30 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: DocYates

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

nah...We should continue to do the same things and expect different results like a few of the better educated here suggest.
Or maybe we could throw around inuendos and make snide remarks that seems to be working as well...whadya think???
If you were directing this at me, you can go back and read my previous posts, tha apology still stands.
If you think this bunch of guys in charge of the Parks Dept is interested in learning about our toy airplanes I have a bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell to you.
Actually, just speculating a bit...why would you feel my post relates to you

"throw around inuendos and make snide remarks" me ??? You wouldn't do that... I know... your apology was sincere and was taken to heart...you are a nice guy.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:51 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

[/quote]
Actually, just speculating a bit...why would you feel my post relates to you

"throw around inuendos and make snide remarks" me ??? You wouldn't do that... I know... your apology was sincere and was taken to heart...you are a nice guy.

[/quote]
Because like most of your posts there are indirect and sneaky and never get to the point. You would do much better if you just came right out and said what you wanted instead of beating around the bush........you want some cheese with that whine??
And you took that apology sincerely??? good, you got the gist of it...
BTW I don't know whether I am a nice guy or not, really more like a mirror that reflects the attitude that gets sent my way, in any case back to the regular scheduled program before the moderator comes in to send me out in the hall....
Old 06-27-2008, 12:58 PM
littlecrankshaf

Actually, I am truly trying to stay within the bounds prescribed by the RCU moderators.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:59 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Here a are a few more flying sites on public grounds that may help you make a case:

Buder Park in St. Louis, Missouri
Standing Bear Lake Recreation Area in Omaha, Nebraska
Jordan River Park, in Salt Lake City, Utah
Old 06-27-2008, 02:03 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I have said this before, why doesn't the AMA get actively involved, retain legal counsel on behalf of the club and fight losing another flying field. The park board says rules are rules, but the thing about rule is they can be changed. We have lost enough clubs in NE Ohio. The AMA needs to take a stand, not just our money!
Old 06-27-2008, 02:17 PM
rcmiket

"have said this before, why doesn't the AMA get actively involved, retain legal counsel on behalf of the club and fight losing another flying field. The park board says rules are rules, but the thing about rule is they can be changed. We have lost enough clubs in NE Ohio. The AMA needs to take a stand, not just our money"

Ya right. I've had plenty of dealings with them looking for help on several occasions ( we lost our field and I was looking for some help and guidance). We are doing it on our own with or without them. Probably the later. I just wonder how fast they would react and open our wallets if the Muncie site was in danger. Its really sad, more and more sites around the country are in danger of being shut down for one reason or another and they do nothing. I guess once the dues stop flowing they will have to react but unfortunately it will be too late. I'm sure the AMA diehards will chime in and strengthen me out on this. Mike
Old 06-27-2008, 02:34 PM
KidEpoxy

Maybe if we sent that Parks Chick all the PPP literature
it would open their eyes to abolishing the laws making flying in the park illegal.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:40 PM
mscic-RCU

You are right. We have lost numerous fields in NE Ohio due to urban expansion. The clubs go as far as they can on limited resources and the local authorities win out. I do not understand why the AMA takes this stance when the future of the organization relies on dues paying members. Their flying site assistance program is a joke. We need a proactive organization to get involved and help us save these flying sites. The Goodyear club is a prime example. It has been there for 38 years, coexisted with its neighbors without any problems. The powers in charge changes and they are out. You would think this would send up a red flag in Muncie. But as usual, they choose to ignore the real issues and find some more windmills to fight. If a club that pays over $15,000 in annual dues and charter fees can't get any help, what hope does my club with 22 members have?
Old 06-27-2008, 03:09 PM
rcmiket

Hey Kid, Speaking of Parks. Here in EL Paso one of the "posted rules" is "No Flying Projectiles" I asked if a soccer ball wasn't a " flying projectile" and I couldn't get a straight answer from anyone. Being such a small minority its really hard for anyone to take us serious. They build Skateboard parks here like crazy and the ones using them don't even pay taxes ( I have nothing against young people I'm still one at heart).
Its real simple for everyone that has not faced the situation of losing there field to understand the frustration involved here to toss useless ideas like " fight them" and go to the press nobody cares about a bunch of guys "playing with toys" (unless your a golfer) then your accepted. I really feel for everyone in our situation because I'm living it daily. Mike
Old 06-27-2008, 03:47 PM
mscic-RCU

I don't know for sure, but is sounds like the Goodyear club has a "gentleman's agreement". I could be wrong about this, but we float fly from public lands and we have a lease agreement in place. At least that offers a little bit of security if the powers to be would change.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:14 PM
rcmiket

Most "agreements" or "leases "with public land have a 30 day vacate clause that you just can't beat. The other club here in EP had a "lease " but got the "notice" to vacate. Now days agreements mean nothing. The "land owners" always have a way out. Mike
Old 06-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Cybertom

MajorTomski,
It's good to hear from one of the founders of our club. As far as viewing two of my statements as incorrect:

FAA Statement
An attorney who works for Summit County made those statements at the last Summit County Counsel meeting in down town Akron on June 23rd. Your welcome to come downtown Monday the 30th if you have evidence to back your contention up and that in some way actually helps our clubs position.

Length of Club Existence
I was just a kid then so I will take your word for it.

No one being hit by an airplane
My statement was accurate. Nobody has ever been hit by an airplane.

What I really need are good statistics that show that the likely hood of being hit by a model airplane is much lower probability than being injured by other sanctioned Metroparks activities such as horseback riding, swimming, cycling, baseball, soccer...

Old 06-27-2008, 10:17 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

it doesn't bring anything to the table for you, but maybe will help you prepare.
if yer opponents are aware of that incident, they will most likely make the argument of "They can't even manage to miss something as large as a horse stables, how can they manage to miss individual sized people?"
i am thinking it would be to yalls advantage to have a prepared answer for that ready, just in case.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Cybertom

Everyone
Don't make me regret that I came here looking for help. The Metroparks could be reading these posts, so please don't say anything or continue to comment on information that they could misconstrue and use against us. Use good judgement. You can always PM me if you have something to say that would be best not printed here.

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2008, 08:57 PM
MajorTomski

ORIGINAL: Cybertom

FAA Statement
An attorney who works for Summit County made those statements at the last Summit County Counsel meeting in down town Akron on June 23rd. Your welcome to come downtown Monday the 30th if you have evidence to back your contention up and that in some way actually helps our clubs position.
I'd love to help but living in Oklahoma it's a little rough to commute. Believe it or not lawyers lie openly in court, if he repeats this in a public hearing then ask him to please site the specific Federal Aviation Regulation that deligates this so called authority to local government. By the way he can't because we, don't. If the FAA gave up this power then you'd have all sorts of wacky laws goofing up the national airways. There is tons of case law always deferring to legal control of the air to the FAA.
Secondly the FAA's only published policy on model activities , AC91-57 states that a model operator should try to stay under 400 feet, if we don't have jurisdiction under 700 feet (and that's a strange one) how or why would we have authority to control flight at half that heigth?.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/540-C.pdf

ORIGINAL: Cybertom
No one being hit by an airplane
My statement was accurate. Nobody has ever been hit by an airplane.

But those opposing you may use this event to equate it to hitting someone. They're not going to play fair so you might as well be ready for it

I wish you guys the best of luck on this. You may also hit them with arbitrary regurlations. If they ban model airplanes then they'd have to ban baseball football golf, cars , boats anything that could potentially harm an inidividual. They should be burdened with providing proof that operations of model airplanes are in fact more hazardous to the public than any other of these activities. and again there are no statistics to support the claim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.