Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What have YOU done besides P & M?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What have YOU done besides P & M?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What have YOU done besides P & M?

Just a general question, definitely NOT to belittle anyone, yet just an attempt to get some to look inward and ask the question, "Have I done anything of accomplishment to better the AMA as I know AMA?" [:-]

Here in this forum are so many questions, yet so little evidence to indicate any real action. So here I will ak this question, "Did YOU NOMINATE ANYONE for any AMA office up for reelection this year 2008?"

>>>Nominations Due AMA web site.
Nominations for the office of Executive Vice President and Vice Presidents in Districts II, III, VII, XI are due at the Headquarters of the Academy of Model Aeronautics June 25, 2008. Any AMA Open member may submit a nomination.
<<<

If not, why not? Each and Every AMA Open member could have nominated someone for the Executive Vice President position. Did YOU? [sm=71_71.gif]

Districts II, III, VII, XI open members could have nominated new DVP candidates. If a member in those districts, did YOU?

You see, Gents, without your action nothing will ever change. At this moment, I know of only two Open Members that presented nominations for a non-incumbent. Not much of a show is it?

Of course, there were buddy nominations for the incumbents to remain and keep doing as they have done. I suppose you feel justified because then you will continue to have the same old things to complain about.

Thanks to you folks, this forum is about as useful as a BB gun in a massive tank battle, and fire-fight. [>:] If you guys had a real weapon, IMO most would be found dropped unfired in the sand. [sm=thumbs_down.gif]

Old 07-06-2008, 12:42 PM
SBOT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What have YOU done besides P & M?

Wow, Hoss that's throwin' it out there. I understand where you're coming from. Every thread having to do with AMA is page after page of the same old same o. Gonna get some people riled, bet you don't care.

well said,
Oscar

Where abouts are you in TX? Is that the little wet spot east of Frankston?
Old 07-06-2008, 01:51 PM
KidEpoxy

Yeah Hoss,
tell it like it is.

How many One Name Ballots are gonna get mailed this year?
Think we will break the lofty goal of last years 7% return?

Hoss, you can lead a horse to water but you cant make him take part in the democratic process.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Tango Juliet

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking for myself, I wish I could be a more involved member at the lower, club level, but that just isn't an option for me. While I might know a few club members who could represent well at the higher levels of AMA Office, I don't know any who have a desire or the time to hold such an office. I think that it is important not only to have new blood, but that new blood also has to have a desire to be there. In my own work I've known people suited for more responsible positions, but the ones who don't want those positions don't usually perform very well, though every indicator says they should. Just my opinion.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Live Wire

Hoss
Have you ever seen a private in the services tell a General what to do a little guy in the sticks has as much to do with influence of Muncy as These Forums on the cyberspace
One thing I can say Is you have got gutts Man I was going to say balls
Old 07-06-2008, 05:54 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Speaking of questions, I would have nominated KE seeing he has more questions to the AMA than most, problem is I don't recall him ever posting his name. I figure is he gets elected that should eliminate half the questions posted to the AMA on this board, he'll have direct access.

Oh well ... no problems or questions to the AMA on my end, they've always lived up to their promises and now at half the price than before!! What more could you ask for? Besides Hoss, you've already demonstrated that the nomination process is severely flawed, so what's the point of nominations?

But even if it does work, what on earth would the AMA need to change??? Never seen a single post about a member who didn't receive a copy of the magazine? When was the last time someone complained about not receiving insurance benefits? Seriously ... when do you ever see a thread about the AMA not delivering??? What's all this change your talking about???

Old 07-06-2008, 07:06 PM
goliathman
My Feedback: (3)

First you got to find someone who wants the job, then nominate them. Do you know of anybody interested.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:10 PM
kid chuckles

You reckon the PPP thread might have something to do with it. You know it is no secret anymore about the ins. so maybe no one is even bothering.
We all know your pro AMA so what was the KE input needed for in this topic? He is not. Ha Ha you laughing KE? Hoss is probabaly going to be nominated again and might get appointed for sure he does have the flyers first attitude. STL. What have they delivered? PPP?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:54 PM
STLPilot

We all know your pro AMA so what was the KE input needed for in this topic?
Wait ... you're an AMA member and your not pro AMA? Why would you take money out of your wallet and invest in anything you didn't believe in? Or are you one of those guys that pays for something they think they need, just so they can complain about it? Or both ... or neither. Sorry but not a dollar comes out of my wallet with force nor do I invest in anything that I would complain about, let alone a hard working not for profit organization. Tell you what, I will give you the list that the AMA has delivered to me if you can tell me 1 item the AMA promised, but not deliver to you.

"Pro AMA" of course ... who wouldn't be ... they are a not for profit and they support aviation, aeromodeling and hobbies. Who does it better, nobody. Of course I'm pro AMA. I'm also pro breast cancer awareness, I would support any organization that supports a cause, whether I needed their support or not.

And I really would have nominated KE if I knew his name, but I don't, do you? I've been told by the OP that the whole process is a joke anyway ... so why not.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Just a general question, definitely NOT to belittle anyone, yet just an attempt to get some to look inward and ask the question, "Have I done anything of accomplishment to better the AMA as I know AMA?" [:-]

Here in this forum are so many questions, yet so little evidence to indicate any real action. So here I will ak this question, "Did YOU NOMINATE ANYONE for any AMA office up for reelection this year 2008?"

>>>Nominations Due AMA web site.
Nominations for the office of Executive Vice President and Vice Presidents in Districts II, III, VII, XI are due at the Headquarters of the Academy of Model Aeronautics June 25, 2008. Any AMA Open member may submit a nomination.
<<<

If not, why not? Each and Every AMA Open member could have nominated someone for the Executive Vice President position. Did YOU? [sm=71_71.gif]

Districts II, III, VII, XI open members could have nominated new DVP candidates. If a member in those districts, did YOU?

You see, Gents, without your action nothing will ever change. At this moment, I know of only two Open Members that presented nominations for a non-incumbent. Not much of a show is it?

Of course, there were buddy nominations for the incumbents to remain and keep doing as they have done. I suppose you feel justified because then you will continue to have the same old things to complain about.

Thanks to you folks, this forum is about as useful as a BB gun in a massive tank battle, and fire-fight. [>:] If you guys had a real weapon, IMO most would be found dropped unfired in the sand. [sm=thumbs_down.gif]

Ummmm, Hoss,

I seem to remember being the first Member to nomimate Horrace Cain for the office of President of the AMA last year. Is that considered doing nothing? Just checking.......

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-06-2008, 10:25 PM
KidEpoxy

Could someone explain to STL what the limitations of PPP membership are,
remind him what membership features he is losing for the $2 discount.

- - -

Kic Chuckles
Uh... what? I'm for the AMA, Hoss is definately for the AMA, Stick Abel LCS Jug are for the AMA.
Would you say democrats are not for america because they are not Republican? Of course not. Just being politically opposed to the party currently in charge doesnt make you Anit-(org). If I said congress is full of liars & crooks, that doesnt mean I am against having a congress, I just dont think it is being what is should be. Do we trust congress? Of course not, we have armies of folks just to keep an eye on congress. We have Internal Affairs to kep an eye on the cops. We have Muncie to keep an eye on Muncie.... but then, they didnt even notice a Stryker in a PPP poster child club pic.

Would I make a good candidate for AMA office this ballot, running on a Gonna Take Out The Trash platform?
My answer is ... why even ask that of a guy that doesnt meet the requirements.

Who was it that didnt get their MA
Called, and got his copy along with another guys, and passed it on to the otherguy?

I believe the tread was supposed to be about folks failing to nominate.
I know some folks got burned with their nominations last time, but what stopped the rest of them?
Once upon a time I asked Hoss if we could get a list of Leaders that we could find a candidate from... I recall one time Hoss posted he couldnt get a list of the Leaders from Muncie ( iir Hoss wanted to direct lobby some leader ballot thing??)

Anyhoo, my point is,
just who is eligible to be nominated? A list would be nice.
And then if we could get Muncie to just take the names of the folks that will be Good Ole Boy'ed out of running off of the list it would save us a lot of time.
Old 07-06-2008, 10:47 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: STLPilot
//SNIP//
Wait ... you're an AMA member and your not pro AMA? Why would you take money out of your wallet and invest in anything you didn't believe in?
Believing in AMA, the organization, and believing in the scoundrels running the show are TWO DIFFERENT things. Yes I donate to the AMA. I have donated many yankee $$ to AMA and for the programs AMA should be working at. If anyone wants to start a thread to matching $ for $ directly and indirectly, I stand well ready to jump into that thread. [>:]
With that said, I want changes in the administration and the hidden agendas (undercurrents) that I strongly suspect are ongoing below a false calm surface. I don't want the self-serving situation that this recent bylaws change vote may well provide.

Or are you one of those guys that pays for something they think they need, just so they can complain about it? Or both ... or neither. Sorry but not a dollar comes out of my wallet with force nor do I invest in anything that I would complain about, let alone a hard working not for profit organization. Tell you what, I will give you the list that the AMA has delivered to me if you can tell me 1 item the AMA promised, but not deliver to you.
When I invest, that makes me a stockholder of a sort. I reserve the right to complain. Just like this past Friday, while many partied, I finished up my Federal Income Taxes as I will be in Michigan when the Extension time runs out. [8D] I darn well reserve the right to complain for my 2007 "Donation" although it was considerably less than my '06 donation. [:@]
Now if you, STL, love to sit and watch the river flow by, hey, that is YOUR CHOICE and by gosh that is fine with me. You have such a right to do as you please. You asked why others do differently, so I tell you as I see things. While You love to watch the water current ripple and flow, well I just want to build a dam, and stock the lake with bass and catfish. Just different strokes for different folks.

"Pro AMA" of course ... who wouldn't be ... they are a not for profit and they support aviation, aeromodeling and hobbies. Who does it better, nobody. Of course I'm pro AMA. I'm also pro breast cancer awareness, I would support any organization that supports a cause, whether I needed their support or not.
Well there is one "cause" running now that I will definitely not support. No need to mention that one. STL, If you really, " ....support any organization that supports a cause, whether I needed their support or not" may I invite you to support the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) as well as the NRA. JDRF gets my support.

//SNIP//

And I really would have nominated KE if I knew his name, but I don't, do you? I've been told by the OP that the whole process is a joke anyway ... so why not.
More so than that, KE is not elgible for nomination. You know or should know that little fact.

Back to AMA, yes the whole election process is, IMO, a sham as I once directly participated in it. IMO, absolutely shameful.
In one Nominating Committee meeting, I was hassled to vote against allowing Jim McNeil to be on the ballot for reelection. I refused to do so because I knew firsthand about that the year before. I would not do another person that way. I was only there because my constituency reelected me by write-in vote. They were all ready to kick my butt off, yet they had no shame in begging my help when needed to make it look "unanimous." It wasn't!!
All the power lies in the EC Vice Presidents in that respect. However such power CAN BE overturned if and only when the voters have had enough. Obviously none here have had enough so far.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder
Ummmm, Hoss,

I seem to remember being the first Member to nomimate Horrace Cain for the office of President of the AMA last year. Is that considered doing nothing? Just checking.......

Bill, AMA 4720
Stick, that was doing something. Unfortunately it is now just another historical fact. Such is now almost the same for 2008. The opportunity may well be lost again.
It will be again very enlightening to see just how this 2008 EVP ballot will be seeded. I'm very sure the seeding nominations were in the tank just waiting to see what the June 25th closing was bringing. Guess you, Stick, have now broken the code here.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:11 PM
Oly

I guess I haven't done much. I'm a member of the local club, build and fly model airplanes and have fun with the guys.

The AMA is a great organization, excellent magazine and I feel lucky to have it.

Would someone tell me why I should be so pi$$ed off about the AMA?

Thanks,

Oly
Old 07-06-2008, 11:41 PM
KidEpoxy

You shouldnt get PO'ed at the AMA.
You should get PO'ed at something the current AMA did, or failed to do, or did a horrible job of.

Lets say you feel very strongly that Paintball shouldnt be allowed at AMA clubs.
But after writing letters to your local & district officials they have done nothing to stop paintballing.
So you take up a pen and nominate someone that will stop paintball at AMA clubs.

In that example, are you an AMA Hater?
Are you all PO'ed at AMA?
Are you ruining AMA with your petty personal changes?
Or are you just putting into office, by the democratic process the AMA itself provides to you,
someone that better reflects what you want of that office.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:59 PM
Oly

Hi Kid,
No, I don't think that makes you an AMA hater. I think that just makes you human, much like me. I try not to get too upset or angry about the hobby I love. We're all just human...that's what I like about hanging with the guys at the field. More eccentric opinions about how to set up a plane than you can shake a stick at.

I guess I'm blessed with a great flying situation, where I don't have to go off the deep end to enjoy model airplanes.

Oly
Old 07-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Oly

Is Muncie back east somewhere, or Europe, maybe?

Oly
Old 07-07-2008, 05:31 AM
STLPilot

When I invest, that makes me a stockholder of a sort. I reserve the right to complain.
Well so much for being noble. Sorry Hoss, but excessive donations don't make you a stockholder in any way, shape or form. You can't buy you're right to complain, well because the AMA is legally not allowed to ever to be a for stock company. I think it's great that you do donate more than most might, but to boast about it and then say you deserve more sort of cancels out the deal IMHO.

But as far as watching the river flow by, well Hoss I'm in my 30's, recently married and busting my hump. You remember those days don't you? Not a day, not even an hour goes by that I don't make count. There will be a time in my life that others come first, but for now it's going to be my family and future family reaping the benefits. When I become older and like when I was younger, of course it will be back to involvement in things that make the world better.

But with that said, I don't believe the system or the AMA needs any change. Or if there is change needed, very conservative only, nothing too radical. I believe Jim Cherry and Dave Mathewson are doing a fine job with the power they poses. Any change right now would lead to a change in the negative direction, because all I can see is positivity coming from Muncie and negativity coming from these boards.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:44 AM
kid chuckles

Kid just meant you vent some.
How many of us get anything other than a mag. And that is all we will ever get. Not interested in being a political figure. Not looking to become Pres. of our club. Only thing I am looking for is the AMA to step up and become the primary ins. carrier. Cause to me that is all they are is an ins. company. For my club the only thing they do is insure the land owner. At our club easy enough open land nothing to get torn up but the ground. If we go near the land owners home we are no longer on the land covered. So if anyone can for me get that done and know for a fact they can then you for sure got a nomination coming. Other than a mag. Actually the average guy gets to say i am an AMA member.
I have done absoulty nothing that i know of for the AMA either. Did build a float for 4th. parade for folks to see what we do and promote the LHS and our club. That is more than anyone I know of around here does. Our LHS is pretty much anti AMA, and Anti club affiliation. Don't know really how to get someone nominated but that should be easily found info. Just lazy i guess. But not scared to say so lol.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43896.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	985446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20006.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	985447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38731.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	985448  
Old 07-07-2008, 07:31 AM
Tango Juliet

Very well done float. That is doing something for the AMA, by promoting the hobby. You're right, the average member doesn't really get much for his/her dues other than MA, but most clubs do require AMA membership to fly on their field for the insurance it provides. The insurance that AMA provides also goes a long way in helping clubs obtain/retain flying fields. I don't have any issues with the way the AMA is being run, and I don't have any problems paying for my membership each year. Now Life Insurance on the other hand is something I don't pay for or understand. Why would I leave my hard earned money for someone else to spend after I die, when I can spend it now on my habit, I mean hobby?
Old 07-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: TJR1

Very well done float. That is doing something for the AMA, by promoting the hobby. You're right, the average member doesn't really get much for his/her dues other than MA, but most clubs do require AMA membership to fly on their field for the insurance it provides. The insurance that AMA provides also goes a long way in helping clubs obtain/retain flying fields. I don't have any issues with the way the AMA is being run, and I don't have any problems paying for my membership each year. Now Life Insurance on the other hand is something I don't pay for or understand. Why would I leave my hard earned money for someone else to spend after I die, when I can spend it now on my habit, I mean hobby?
Good answer. I plan to spend my last buck just moments before I croak as well.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 07-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Tango Juliet

Thank you Bill.
Old 07-07-2008, 10:05 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

What have I done besides P&M?
I round up all the flyboys who've never spent 1 night in a foxhole or a fire fight and spank them for impersonating a combat infantryman.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:59 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

I guess I'm just an average Joe who pays his dues, reads his MA, casts his votes, and enjoys his flying!
Old 07-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

I guess I'm just an average Joe who pays his dues, reads his MA, casts his votes, and enjoys his flying!
Hey, I'm one of those. There's 30 more of us in the club I belong to.

Judging by the title of the thread, it (the question) doesn't apply to us anyway.

In regards to the AMA, I don't P or M. I pay my dues and I receive the services for which I pay my dues.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.