Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How useful and informative are the threads in this forum?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Very Informative and useful.
16.46%
Fairly Informative and useful.
6.33%
Informative and useful.
10.13%
Could be more informative and useful.
20.25%
Not informative and useful.
35.44%
Undecided.
2.53%
Prefer not to comment.
6.33%
Other, Please read my post.
2.53%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

How useful and informative are the threads in this forum?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 08:00 PM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How useful and informative are the threads in this forum?

I expect to get some feedback from some...However, the reason for my poll is simple. I once visited this forum to see what useful information there might be. I haven't visited in this forum for a while now...

I'm curious as to the opinions of all those that visit this forum and read through the threads.

Rules for the poll.

1) Select a response from the poll list.
2) Post why you responded (your opinions about your selection is helpful, but not mandatory).
3) If you submit a response stating your opinions:

Please-
-Don't use someone elses RCU ID in your response.
-Don't offer an opinion to someone elses post.
-Don't make offensive, abusive, or provoking comments.

Please-
-Do express your own opinion and observations.

My motive...To create awareness to the topics discussed in this Forum and validate the value of the topics being discussed.

I'm not representing anybody or any organization. I have no connections to any AMA Board of Directors, AMA Executive Committee Members, or any RCU personnel. I am an AMA member that is taking a bit of initiative to gain an understanding of how others view this Forum.

Please feel free to send me a PM on this topic or regarding this poll.

Larry Diamond
AMA 5024
Old 07-09-2008, 08:18 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: How useful and informative are the threads in this forum?

Very useful, I'm writing a book on sociological and pshycological disorder, hypocracy and irony.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Bob Mitchell

Could be a whole lot more useful.

This section is dominated by a few individuals who seem to find fault with anything and all things AMA, and then a few on the other side who seem to think that the AMA can do no wrong.

Bottom line is that most threads here quickly degenerate into useless nitpicking and bickering. As a relative newcomer I have had a few of my AMA related questions answered here, but one certainly must wade through a huge amount of trash to fine the few nuggets that exist.

My guess is that many newbies quickly write this section off as a waste of their time.

bob
Old 07-09-2008, 09:14 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

such has always been the process of finding treasure. ya gotta wade a lotta carp to get the gems.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:23 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Sometimes useful and informative. I think most who frequent this page find it interesting, revealing and at times entertaining.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:50 PM
KidEpoxy

I like the ECMinutes & Bylaws / MemberManual citations that former officer provides.

Want to know about the ZeroLine? He posts the AMA text on it.
Qualifications for Officers? He's got the AMA text on it.
Why are we debating the occurances of the last EC meeting? He's posted the minutes.

I'd give him a cookie, but this forum dont have that smiley
Old 07-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not representing anybody or any organization. I have no connections to any AMA Board of Directors, AMA Executive Committee Members, or any RCU personnel. I am an AMA member that is taking a bit of initiative to gain an understanding of how others view this Forum.
Larry, you have a 4 digit AMA # so I surmise you are a Leader Member. I take you at your word however I feel that there is more to your motive than you state. OTOH, if you are truly a citizen of Santa Claus, IN then you are a long way from the "inner circle" and that would be a long commute if you work for AMA.

I chose the last choice, other. Sometimes the forum is informative. OTOH sometimes it is frustrating because to me, so few will ever discuss a significant point, but rather latch into the "shoot the messenger" syndrome.

Unfortunately, there are not enough that care about the political situation within AMA to make any differences. Even fewer have enough experience to understand it. Just like what's happening around the nation.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:39 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

"How useful and informative are the threads in this forum?"

Good question but it is more about the forum. Its value is self evident and of course will have a different value to each of us. I know I for one sure have learned a lot here and have seen some real changes over the years. When I first signed into RCU the user name could only be 15 letters long so the "t" on my user name was not allowed...no problem though...works just the same. What's the old saying...ahh...A rose by any other name still stinks...err...something like that.

One of the greatest things is the friendships I have made. One particular friendship was with the late JR. We argued endlessly here but when the day was done there was a real connection. He was a wealth of information about AMA and I am proud to say I argued with one of the best. Yep, there are those that absolutely hate every word I type but as a devils advocate I have to endure the hostility long enough to instill introspection.

This forum has changed from a place to belittle non-AMAers into a place that honestly does take a second look at our hobby. My personal goal has been to show all of us we are brothers no matter our level of participation in this great hobby.

Yes, we can argue/debate/whatever and still be friends...can't we?? Sure we can, I have plenty of proof.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:39 PM
DRC1

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Larry, you have a 4 digit AMA # so I surmise you are a Leader Member. I take you at your word however I feel that there is more to your motive than you state. OTOH, if you are truly a citizen of Santa Claus, IN then you are a long way from the "inner circle" and that would be a long commute if you work for AMA.
I know I'm breaking one of my rules for this poll. Although I would have preferred a PM, the question was raised so I will clarify. It is worthy to do so as it may address concerns with other folks.

My 4 digit AMA number was changed from AMA 195024 (joined AMA in the mid 80's) to AMA 5024 when I became a Contest Director in 2004 for a local club. I fly Pattern (Intermediate Class) although not very active since 2003 when I first competed. I joined IMAC last December, but have not flown a contest this year. I do live in Santa Claus, Indiana, which is home of the only post office where Santa's mail is post marked in the US. I am not a AMA Leader Member. I have stated my motive. I have also made it a personal goal to not let my views/opinions known in this poll to prevent bias. I didn't respond to the poll and I won't. The poll responses were carefully written to provide a full range for those that participate.

FWIW I did a similar project for the previous AMA Presidents Election which was Dave Brown's last tenure. I was an unknown to all the candidates and sent all three candidates three questions to provide responses to. I informed them that I will post their responses on my personal website exactly as they wrote it. To my surprise all three participated and Dave Brown won the election. None of them know me by sight nor name. My motive was the same as this project.

I didn't start this poll for me. It is for any and all of us that view it and/or participate in it. I truly am very interested in how the RCU community perceives this Forum.

Please respect the rules I posted to prevent bias in this poll. I will respond to any and all PM's sent to me requesting any information or entertaining any questions you may have.

Thank you all for your support. I have reviewed the responses and post so far and am very impressed with how it is progressing at this early stage.

Very Respectfully,

Larry Diamond
AMA 5024 (Contest Director)
NSRCA 3083
IMAC 5383
Old 07-09-2008, 11:52 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Very useful, I'm writing a book on sociological and pshycological disorder, hypocracy and irony.
Who could possibly have a better up close and personal insight...would make a good read but authored by someone with all those ailments I would think it would be unintelligible. Sorta like your posts
Old 07-10-2008, 03:40 AM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Who could possibly have a better up close and personal insight...would make a good read but authored by someone with all those ailments I would think it would be unintelligible. Sorta like your posts
Silly me ... I forgot to add denial.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:17 AM
STLPilot

I chose the last choice, other. Sometimes the forum is informative. OTOH sometimes it is frustrating because to me, so few will ever discuss a significant point, but rather latch into the "shoot the messenger" syndrome.
Hoss, pick anyone of your last 20 posts which you started. Do you consider yourself a messenger or a bloggist? Your so called messages are typically aimed against the continual wrongdoings of the AMA, so your so called message, is always biased. If the message was level, than nobody would be shooting the messenger. Personally it bothers me how you belittle the AMA on a daily basis, call yourself a contributor and try to paint yourself as a living saint to your local club. Sorry Hoss, nice guy and I think your very interesting ... but most of self serving contributions you make to yourself and your club ... serve only you. Anything above and beyond that scope ... is to drive the fear stake into people ... whom actually belive you. Sorry my friend ... the AMA is not as bad as your message delivers. And it seems the more the AMA does good, the more you rant about it.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:08 AM
littlecrankshaf

wrong again
Old 07-10-2008, 06:15 AM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My opinion - I know there is a pony in here somewhere!

Paul
Old 07-10-2008, 08:20 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, I've had to step in and remove several posts from this thread. Please keep the thread on the course set by the originator. Personal attacks on each have no place in this thread and they have been removed. Let's try to keep the discussion on the topic. Thank you.

Ken
Old 07-10-2008, 08:46 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

The AMA forum serves as a bully pulpit for people with serious "issues" stemming from their association with local clubs and/or failure to achieve there personal agendas on a local or a national level. I seriously doubt if it enhances the image of the AMA or RCU. One can read a lot into signature lines.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned

The forum provides a bully pulpit for those with serious personal "issues" stemming from association with local clubs where they have failed to achieve personal agendas either on a local or national level. I seriously doubt if the forum enhances the image of the AMA / RCU or modeling in general.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:49 AM
vicman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The forum provides a bully pulpit for those with serious personal "issues" stemming from association with local clubs where they have failed to achieve personal agendas either on a local or national level. I seriously doubt if the forum enhances the image of the AMA / RCU or modeling in general.
Roger that!!
Old 07-10-2008, 10:46 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I said Fairly Useful and informative. Could be better without the bickering.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:15 AM
Oly

Mr. Scholefield,

I agree with your statement above. Some people just have to control everything, and when they can't, they go off the deep end.

Oly
Old 07-10-2008, 11:22 AM
vicman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I said Fairly Useful and informative.
Strange...I voted the same thing but the poll only shows one hit for that comment.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:36 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: vicman

I said Fairly Useful and informative.
Strange...I voted the same thing but the poll only shows one hit for that comment.
Vicman,
I checked the results and your vote is the only showing for that option. For some reason the other vote did not register in the system.

Ken
Old 07-10-2008, 11:50 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Could be more informative and useful.

IMO, there is only one regular here providing any true AMA info., but sometimes personal agendas get in the way of objectivity.
I wish more AMA insiders would participate to help correct erroneous assumptions, or at least to give some idea of how and why certain decisions are made and implemented.

For most, this forum seems a way of venting frustration with AMA or clubs, and that can be useful, too. But, of course, discussion gives way to bickering and personal attacks, lowering the value of such discussion. Pretty much, all the regulars are guilty of that, myself included. That's why we have moderators.

A couple things of value I've learned, or maybe reinforced, here:

Things aren't always as they seem, and you have to be able to read between the lines to get the true meaning;

and, having issues with or criticizing an instituion such as AMA or the people running it, doesn't mean one can't be supportive of it. Just as I am being a bit critical of this forum and the people who use it, I find it valuable and am glad it exists.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:54 AM
kid chuckles

Have not voted yet. Fella's it is the sam guys myself included that respond to almost every topic. I am a nobody with no real ambition to become anyone. I do believe that the bickering is not as needed as it is so used. STL vs KE, Hoss vs upper eshelon of AMA,lil crackshaft vs everyone all of us feel we are right and we all are grown men mostly over 40 that being said we are kinda set in our ways. I don't think this Disscussion forum is anymore than a venting spot. I will stay away from it for a time and just check in. Sometimes I will sit and type delete type again delete until I am timed out lol. Sometimes type then just delete and go away. We have strong opinions and for the most part don't mind expressing them. Nothing really informative much. Hoss presents some pretty interesting topics at times. Stick is for sure not an arf fan. KE is and elec. man, StL don't say anything bad about my ama. I read and say my part but know it means nothing. And as above post said we can do this and still at the end of the day would help one another out no matter what(well maybe lol)Good topic though. And all of you guys are pretty cool in your own way. For sure this particular forum is not boring. But really informative I will have to think about that. I have learned some I suppose. Like the PPP deal would not have realised that MA had the pic of the stryker if not for the forum. I would have missed that. Several things I would have missed got to read that darn mag a little better lol. But to all of you anytime you need a thing that KID Chuckles can do for you do not hesitate. For me you can send money. Just a pm and i will give you the directions of sending. All donations will be spent on plane stuff i swear lol.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Sport_Pilot

It now shows two. Probably had to wait for the author to review.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.