Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

How Many AMA Members Are Here

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

How Many AMA Members Are Here

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Muroc1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Many AMA Members Are Here

I was wondering, how many AMA members are also RCU members? The election discussion threads have me wondering about how many AMA members are reached by what is said/posted in the pages of RCU. Does anyone have an idea? Has a poll ever been accomplished to try to figure that out?

Thanks,

Frank
Old 09-03-2008, 07:12 PM
rcmiket

Default RE: How Many AMA Members Are Here

If your talking the AMA forum very few members of the AMA wish to wade in this cesspool. I makes me sick to think that a person wanting to get involved with R/C might come to this forum and read the trash that goes on here. On a happy note I've conversed with many AMA members on RCU in other forums that are really stand up people and represent what we are all about. I just thank God that they post here it keeps them off the streets. Mike
Old 09-03-2008, 07:19 PM
Muroc1

Mike,

I was referring to RCU as a whole.

Frank
Old 09-03-2008, 08:05 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

a good guess could be estimated from the total number of email addresses that the AMA has from members.
1/2 to 3/4 of that number would be my guess at the number of AMA members that use RCU.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:18 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Muroc1

I was wondering, how many AMA members are also RCU members? The election discussion threads have me wondering about how many AMA members are reached by what is said/posted in the pages of RCU. Does anyone have an idea? Has a poll ever been accomplished to try to figure that out?

Thanks,

Frank
I don't recall anyone taking a count, so it's up to you if you really want to know.

Here's a start: I pay dues to AMA.

Abel
AMA# NOYB0001
Old 09-03-2008, 11:33 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: abel_pranger

Thanks,

Frank
I don't recall anyone taking a count, so it's up to you if you really want to know.

Here's a start: I pay dues to AMA.

Abel
AMA# NOYB0001
Me too. #767985
Old 09-04-2008, 03:06 AM
Muroc1

I'm surprised no one had taken a head count by now. Not that it really matters, but I was just wondering how many folks can be reached/informed by what is said here.

One a side note, (not related to the current election going on) can an election be won or lost by RCU members all voting one way or another? I know Dave M hit the boards when he was running for President. I guess what I am asking is; how much of an impact do these forums make in the big picture?

Frank

PS Please don't take this as anything other than a question of the curious. No hidden agendas lurking here. Thanks!

edited for spelling
Old 09-04-2008, 06:00 AM
kid chuckles

I is a member.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:34 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I is a member also. Thanks Dave
Old 09-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Out of a chartered club of 100+ AMA members I am the only one that I know of that is an RCU member.

Realize also that cars represent a larger base than aircraft on RCU forums. They are most likley not AMA members.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:41 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Member too.

I echo Mike's comments as well.[sm=sleeping.gif]

My feelings are the time Dave M put in here was well spent. I think the voters got to see more than just his public statement in MA. It's kind of tricky to make a decision on a well written, thourougly reviewed public statement vs. taking direct Q&A. I liked it.
It prompted me to send detailed questions to Dave B about his plans in the previous election.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:30 PM
OffroadBEAR
My Feedback: (2)

Paul Collado AMA# 842366

The engineering and flight is what interests me about this hobby. I think this is the first post I have ever made in the AMA forum (only because I saw this topic while browsing the RC Airplanes general forum and was curious) and will probably be the last. I try to only participate in the discussions pertaining to the design, construction, and flight of models such as in the Aerodynamics forum, or the ARF, Kit building, or Scratch Building and CAD forums, and keep my political opinions to myself (I stay out of trouble that way). I do lurk here though sometimes, and very briefly, just to keep myself updated on the current happenings regarding the organization to which I pay my $58 yearly. Happy modeling all!

Paul
Old 09-04-2008, 07:46 PM
ghost_rider
My Feedback: (20)

AMA 9119
Old 09-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Muroc1

Thanks for the replies fellas. It is nice to see that our AMA leadership takes the time to post on RC forums and gives us a little more insight into their thoughts, ideas and positions. I did not see the last AMA president do that, but I understand why he would be a little apprehensive to do so. Do you guys think if Dave M didn't post in the two popular RC forums, RCG and RCU, he would have not garnered as many votes? I forget what the number of votes for him were. I do believe it does help, but not sure how much it does.

Thoughts?

Frank
Old 09-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Muroc1

ORIGINAL: OffroadBEAR

Paul Collado AMA# 842366

The engineering and flight is what interests me about this hobby. I think this is the first post I have ever made in the AMA forum (only because I saw this topic while browsing the RC Airplanes general forum and was curious) and will probably be the last. I try to only participate in the discussions pertaining to the design, construction, and flight of models such as in the Aerodynamics forum, or the ARF, Kit building, or Scratch Building and CAD forums, and keep my political opinions to myself (I stay out of trouble that way). I do lurk here though sometimes, and very briefly, just to keep myself updated on the current happenings regarding the organization to which I pay my $58 yearly. Happy modeling all!

Paul
Paul,

Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts.

Frank
Old 09-04-2008, 08:00 PM
[]TEX[]

AMA is nothing but a fee you pay to have a card to say that you belong to something that allows you to fly at fields recognized by it. I don't want to start some huge argument, but it is just like the Lake County Model Airplane Flying Permit I have to buy just to fly. You by a permit to fish, you buy a license to drive and you by an AMA card to fly RC. What does an AMA card mean? We don't get tested on anything?

Lets call it what it is. Don't preach about how the AMA donates moneys, I have never seen or been in any AMA sponsored air event. If you think they sponser clubs, why am I paying $100 club fees and watching guys volunteer to mow the lawn? The field is owned by the County!

I am an AMA member never the less and I never go into the RCU AMA forum.

Until now...

Old 09-04-2008, 08:58 PM
Muroc1

ORIGINAL: []TEX[]

AMA is nothing but a fee you pay to have a card to say that you belong to something that allows you to fly at fields recognized by it. I don't want to start some huge argument, but it is just like the Lake County Model Airplane Flying Permit I have to buy just to fly. You by a permit to fish, you buy a license to drive and you by an AMA card to fly RC. What does an AMA card mean? We don't get tested on anything?

Lets call it what it is. Don't preach about how the AMA donates moneys, I have never seen or been in any AMA sponsored air event. If you think they sponser clubs, why am I paying $100 club fees and watching guys volunteer to mow the lawn? The field is owned by the County!

I am an AMA member never the less and I never go into the RCU AMA forum.

Until now...

Wow, I never expected something like this from a thread about how many RCU members are also AMA members. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Interesting thoughts indeed.

Frank

Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 PM
abel_pranger

Frank-

You asked the same question in another forum and and got nearly 5,000 replies out of about 60,000 views. What have you learned?

Abel
Old 09-05-2008, 05:51 AM
Muroc1

Abel,

I learned quite a few things. Lots more than I expected to learn, that's for sure. It's great how folks like to share their comments and concerns in threads like the the poll I did in RCG. Are you suggesting I start another poll here on RCU to compare the numbers? I suspect RCU would have more AMA members since the majority of RCG members are involved in electric powered flight vs. RCU which appears to be just the opposite. I don't think doing the poll here in the AMA forum would net a good result. As Mike and Paul mentioned above, it doesn't seem like too many regular RCU members make it down this way. I'll have to look around and see what forum would be best. Thanks for the idea.

Frank
Old 09-05-2008, 07:31 AM
[]TEX[]

Wow, I never expected something like this from a thread about how many RCU members are also AMA members. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Interesting thoughts indeed.

Frank

You know, I wasn't trying to be mean or start an argument. Sometimes we vent more than we want.

I was just saying that I am an AMA member, but reluctantly. I have never gained anything from it, only permission.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:53 AM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need a card to fly, just find youself an unsanctioned field, not owned by a city
or county and take your chances. No one is forcing you to be a member.

tommy s
Old 09-05-2008, 07:56 AM
[]TEX[]

ORIGINAL: tommy s

You don't need a card to fly, just find youself an unsanctioned field, not owned by a city
or county and take your chances. No one is forcing you to be a member.

tommy s
Are you an AMA member? If you are, why?
Old 09-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Muroc1

ORIGINAL: []TEX[]

Frank

You know, I wasn't trying to be mean or start an argument. Sometimes we vent more than we want.

I was just saying that I am an AMA member, but reluctantly. I have never gained anything from it, only permission.
No malice at all taken by your comment. I was just taken back a little by it. I know being an AMA member means a lot of different things to different people. I know being involved with an organization, club, union, or whatever a person does helps a person feel like they are getting something more of a being a member. I suppose it has something to do with pride in ownership.

Back on topic, do you feel that RCU members, or members of the other RC forums make a difference in the AMA elections?

Thanks,

Old 09-05-2008, 08:38 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back on topic, do you feel that RCU members, or members of the other RC forums make a difference in the AMA elections?
Yes.

I am also aware that some info gathered from the forums affects decisions made by AMA.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Frank, I'm AMA #874936, and I'm on RCU, RCG, and Watt Flyer.

And about voters swaying an election. We've hit on that before. Dave convinced a lot of so called "Outlaw" electric fliers over to his side, they became members of the AMA in support of Dave. Out of our club alone probably 17 folks became AMA, and voted for Dave.

And as poor as the voter turn out was, I'd be willing to bet Dave's efforts put a lot more votes in his corner then would have normally been there. I know where 17 or so of them came from that wouldn't have been there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.