Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

What Do You Guys Think?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

What Do You Guys Think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Muroc1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Do You Guys Think?

Since we can't comment in the sub-forum to questions asked and answered I thought I would start a discussion about it down here.

My first comment is WOW, did you see what Mark said about Air Hogs? Here it is below.

We have several plans in place and I’ll mention just three. One is to continue to work with the folks at Air Hog. The target market for these planes is 8-12 year olds and we, as AMA members, have the talent to ensure the success of these newbie flyers. You will see in the 4th quarter of this year, approximately 150,000 Air Hogs in the big box stores with the AMA PP logo!

Sure, many of us think these are just toys, like as in real toys, not model toys, but how about that? I do not know if this will do any good or not, but it certainly seems that the AMA is looking at different ways to help promote growth in membership.

I think Mark has done quite well with his first day "on the job" here on RCU. How about you?

Frank

PS This post is not intended as a pro or con for either candidate, simply just a discussion topic.

edit for typo
Old 09-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Bob Mitchell

Default RE: What Do You Guys Think?

ORIGINAL: Muroc1
I think Mark has down quite well with his first day "on the job" here on RCU. How about you?
I think it's to early to really tell, and I want to see some additonal comments on a couple of questions I've asked and follow-ups I've posted.

I am glad to see others asking questions as well. I thought Mark's comments to F106A (Jon) on his involvement and support of the PPP program were direct, responsive, and made his position very clear. You can agree or disagree, but there is little doubt where he really stands on the issue.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I have been less than impressed with the responses that I have read, not only in regard to the PPP, but with most of the questions that he has responded to. I do think that he is impressed with Dave Matthewson, as are most of us. Right now, I would be most interested in seeing who will be selected to replace him in his old DVP slot. The Academy is well known for pre-selecting the successors to elected officials who have been hand selected to rise to stardom. I'm not saying that this is the case here, but they do have a track record. I have never seen much left to chance. When does his elected DVP term expire? Who will the Academy choose to replace him?

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 09-09-2008, 07:59 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have lived in this area for over 20 years, pass by school yards, vacant lots, playgrounds, residential neighborhoods every day.. In all this time I've never seen one single Air Hog flown. I'm not saying that this is true everywhere, but if they were a real market force in model aviation, wouldn't you think I would have seen evidence of just ONE of them being flown? Anywhere? Anytime?
If it doesn't cost the AMA anything to get a mention via Air Hogs, then it can't hurt.

Whoopee!! Is this the blockbuster news item that we've been patiently waiting to hear about?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Muroc1

CP,

I can only speak from what I have seen. I have personally owned three of them myself. Only because two didn't fly worth a darn. But if you have not seen all the discussion threads about them, they are very popular and have a pretty big loyalty base. I don't know why, but they do. Most likely because they "can" fly and are so cheap. I would think the next hot ticket item will be the Vapor. Everyone seems to like them a lot. As soon as the newness wears off and the price drops, I don't think they will be able to keep them on the shelves.

WRT the big news, no not big news, but I do see the AMA leadership taking actions to help get more folks involved in the hobby and our organization.

Frank
Old 09-09-2008, 08:40 PM
combatpigg

Frank, when the Frisbee came out, you could not drive 10 blocks without seeing someone playing with one. Same goes with the Nerf balls, whiffle balls, hula hoops, etc. They were every where. I have seen dozens of high dollar stunt kites being flown over the years, I see AMA level RC and C/L flown frequently.....but no Air Hogs. I certainly hope we are not paying anything to AirHogs for displaying our logo, they should be paying us to allow our logo to be displayed [implying endorsement] on their product.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:46 PM
KidEpoxy

Didnt we already have a thread on the PPP stickers on model boxes?

There were pros & cons
and I see we ran full steam ahead.... were any of the cons addressed/fixed/avoided?
Old 09-10-2008, 02:53 AM
Muroc1

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Frank, when the Frisbee came out, you could not drive 10 blocks without seeing someone playing with one. Same goes with the Nerf balls, whiffle balls, hula hoops, etc. They were every where. I have seen dozens of high dollar stunt kites being flown over the years, I see AMA level RC and C/L flown frequently.....but no Air Hogs. I certainly hope we are not paying anything to AirHogs for displaying our logo, they should be paying us to allow our logo to be displayed [implying endorsement] on their product.

I hear ya CP. Maybe the Air Hogs thing is just a start. Setting the seed so to speak. I do not know if it costs anything or not. That's a good question. I would think the companies that do, would do it for free. Kinda like free advertising. But I don't know.

Frank

PS Frisbees are still cool.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:08 AM
Stickbuilder

Post removed by me.

Bill
Old 09-10-2008, 06:26 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

i gotta go along with the pig here.
as an AMA member that has not been a member of any club for over 10 years, i fly regularly with the parkie folks. other than the one air hog i bought myself, i have never seen another one out side of the stores.
now i do see a few of the havock and reflex type helis at indoor AMA events, but those folks were already AMA members before they got em.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:14 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

You've guys have to be kidding me. Airhogs has sold hundreds of thousands of pieces in the USA. Last time I checked they were about to beat out Tower Hobbies in annual revenues too, that's over 500 million a year in sales. They are HUGE, monsters now in the toy industry, yes toy industry, that's what we all play with toys ... some big some small. But Airhogs is the PERFECT gateway into a larger picture.

This is just yet another problem with this org, nobody sees the bigger picture and like Mark Smith stated, serves EVERYONE not just the local vocals. What you can't see does exist.

Mark Smith ... seems to me in the same party and thought process with DM, a good thing. He should take this one in a walk, looks like he actually wants the spot.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:13 AM
KidEpoxy

Mark Smith ... seems to me in the same party and thought process with DM, a good thing.
When the EC voted whether or not to have the PPP, how did this same party and thought process pair vote?

We can guess as to what is inside their head and how they will act,
or we can check voting records to see where they actually did act,
as to who they run with, and if they waffle.

From the OP
I think Mark has done quite well with his first day "on the job" here on RCU. How about you?
I think Mark is doing a swell job answering the questions here at RCU.
I just disagree with those answers.
Such as ignoring all factors & conditions to blindly have PPP regardless of ... everything,
and his using the faulty dogma of MA required to get info to the members (excluding PPPs?)
Old 09-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Kemosobie

He provides a straight forward answer without being condescending. I will vote for Mark Smith.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:55 PM
gr8taz nitro
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Kemosobie

He provides a straight forward answer without being condescending. I will vote for Mark Smith.
Ditto here! I can forgive anyone having a different opinion than mine, but to belittle someone and treat them with such a lack of common courtesy for it is inexcusable in my opinion. If Horrace is like this now, when he's trying to gather support, will he be any different when actually elected?

My vote is for Mark Smith also.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:25 PM
Muroc1

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

I think Mark is doing a swell job answering the questions here at RCU.
I just disagree with those answers.
It's good to see that even though you don't agree with what he was saying, you can admit that he is doing a good job none-the-less. That speaks very highly of your character.

Frank
Old 09-10-2008, 08:05 PM
combatpigg

If we are to believe STL's claim of $500,000,000 in sales annually, that would come to roughly 10 million planes per year, or let's say 100 million planes over the last 10 years. About 1 plane for every 3 Americans. There must be some kind of tell-tale signal that me and mongo give off that warns the Air Hogs flyers to stash their planes before we can spot them? Of the 500,000,000 Big Macs ever sold, I've seen plenty of those wrappers blowing around the streets, why no Air Hogs?

STL is right about 1 thing, Mark is answering questions like he wants to get elected. He is very polite and cordial and some guys have made it clear that that is all it takes to get their vote. Never mind the technical stuff like fiscal and legal strategies, vote for congeniality, and political correctness. Of course Mark hasn't been a member of this board long enough to have had the pleasure of debating issues of morality, common sense, etc. with the recording industry pirate amongst us, or with the off line privacy bandits here. His AMA forum fuse doesn't have any miles on it yet.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:36 PM
Bob Mitchell

Of course Mark hasn't been a member of this board long enough to have had the pleasure of debating issues of morality, common sense, etc. with the recording industry pirate amongst us, or with the off line privacy bandits here. His AMA forum fuse doesn't have any miles on it yet.
CP, some people here just have longer fuses and don't have to resort to childish personal attacks when someone disagrees with them.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:59 PM
combatpigg

Bob, Hoss and I have completely disagreed about a few things over the past few years. He's never been disrespectful of me, though he has stated his side very strongly....nothing wrong with that. He is also [and so am I] candid about his feelings. In many cases about things AMA related he is speaking from a position of more intimate knowledge than most and I can understand his lack of patience sometimes when arguing with someone who is "operating" more from a point of conjecture than fact. Hoss has also on several occasions acknowledged when he got something wrong and stood corrected. A lot of the recreational arguers here have never done that.

I see this election turning into a popularity contest instead of what it is supposed to be......2 guys auditioning their plans and strategies to help secure the AMA's future.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Stickbuilder

STL is right about 1 thing, Mark is answering questions like he wants to get elected. He is very polite and cordial and some guys have made it clear that that is all it takes to get their vote. Never mind the technical stuff like fiscal and legal strategies, vote for congeniality, and political correctness. Of course Mark hasn't been a member of this board long enough to have had the pleasure of debating issues of morality, common sense, etc. with the recording industry pirate amongst us, or with the off line privacy bandits here. His AMA forum fuse doesn't have any miles on it yet.
Pigg,

Only thing is.....some of them can't vote for him anyway.

Guess which Saint Louis Pilot that would be.......C'mon.....Guess.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 09-10-2008, 09:18 PM
combatpigg

Stick, if he gets locked up it's a moot point anyway. [sm=pirate.gif]
Old 09-11-2008, 02:51 AM
Muroc1

Moved down from the sub-forum

mongo: if AMA wants to allow us leader members to "speak the gospel" of AMA here on the forums as official representatives, then they need to provide us with position statements on every issue that crops up on these forums. wouldn't want some well meaning, but miss informed or just plane mal-intentioned, leader giving out his own opinion instead of the AMA's. that happens often enough as it is anyway

Frank: Do you think that would be an issue? I would think that those that would volunteer to do this would know if they would be able to provide relative information and be able to represent the AMA with a positive image.

mongo: it already is an issue. right here on these boards and in this forum.

That might be because those folks are not wearing their AMA Representative hat.

If those folks did decide to become AMA Reps in a RC forum, just like many vendors who have reps that monitor the forums, they would not (or I should say, should not) allow themselves to behave in a manner that brings discredit upon themselves or the AMA. I'm pretty sure those leader members who volunteer to do this duty would, and could, handle this role without any problems.

Frank

Old 09-11-2008, 04:51 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

If we are to believe STL's claim of $500,000,000 in sales annually, that would come to roughly 10 million planes per year, or let's say 100 million planes over the last 10 years.About 1 plane for every 3 Americans.
Ahhh here we go again, the world is flat and the border ends at my clubs field. First off the USA represents 3% of the worlds population and Airhogs sells as much in accessories like batteries, chargers and replacement parts than they do in full package units, much like Tower Hobbies to a global audience. Readjust your calculations.

Airhogs is exploding and the AMA ( the membership) is lucky that they are grateful enough to put a logo on the box. They are advertising for every club field in the USA now. Go ask 100 random people that heard of the AMA and 99% or maybe more will say they have not. Give Airhogs 5 years and then try that test again.

Why can't but only a very small handful on this board actually see potential??? It's absolutely mindblowing.

Old 09-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

I see this election turning into a popularity contest instead of what it is supposed to be......2 guys auditioning their plans and strategies to help secure the AMA's future.
CP, I agree with your above snippit. But if given the same qualifications, I would much rather talk to someone who talks to me like anyone else, rather then to someone who comes off as talking down to me.

So maybe being someone who is popular with the membership, by way of actually speaking to them as a person might be a better "face" for our organization.

On the other hand, I don't take too kindly to being forced into providing name, rank, & serial number just to ask a question of a candidate. Nor the fact that when asked a question, often answers seem to be offered as if they come from a throne and are being directed to the minions below.

Sorry, but no matter what your title in the AMA, the title bearer needs to remember that it's the members who gave them the title, and that they are supposed to work for them, and not think of theirselves as some uppity who has to waste his or her time with our foolish requests.

This is an organization for promoting a hobby, and I would think those that wish to have a position of leadership should be able to talk to their members and not come off as talking down to them.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Glacier Girl
On the other hand, I don't take too kindly to being forced into providing name, rank, & serial number just to ask a question of a candidate. Nor the fact that when asked a question, often answers seem to be offered as if they come from a throne and are being directed to the minions below.

Sorry, but no matter what your title in the AMA, the title bearer needs to remember that it's the members who gave them the title, and that they are supposed to work for them, and not think of theirselves as some uppity who has to waste his or her time with our foolish requests.

This is an organization for promoting a hobby, and I would think those that wish to have a position of leadership should be able to talk to their members and not come off as talking down to them.
I think you are right on the money with those comments. Now flash forward to EC meetings. How effective will that style of communication and leadership be in dealing effectively with the EC in general and especially with those that disagree?

IMO, in this specific EVP race, the ability to be effective in the job is probably more important than specific positions taken on some of the key issues.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:21 AM
combatpigg

STL, readjust your wild claims then. The worldwide sales figure is irrelevant to what we're interested in which is promoting the AMA here in the USA. I already knew that the conversation was headed this way. The fact is that even though the Aunt Marys and Uncle Joes are buying these planes for little Johnny's birthday, there's little evidence to support the notion that they are "huge".
Having the AMA label on the box is a good idea, just doubt the real world impact it will have.

GG
Hoss will directly reflect the amount of respect he thinks that he is getting in any exchange here. Most of us operate in the same way. He's got a pretty good memory too, so if respect has not been earned in past conversations by whoever we're talking about, then it might take sometime before respect is granted.
I've read at least 3/4 of the recent communications between guys who approach Hoss with their personal agendas and axes to grind and have seen in most cases where the attempt has been to ridicule him for name and number requirement, positions on issues, etc. I've seen where he has made numerous attempts to calmly and simply explain himself, then when that isn't good enough who usually brings the conversation down to a lower level? . At this point we have the war of words. If Hoss was more of a slick politician he would seek out ways to soothe and appease the sensitivities of all the questioners and give 'em all what they want to hear, no matter what the issue.
I'm glad that he isn't that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.