Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

$10k '81 Freq Investigation

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

$10k '81 Freq Investigation

Old 09-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: $10k '81 Freq Investigation

ORIGINAL: HOSSFLY

The Frequency Committee Chairman attended that meeting. He requested financial help for obtaining the release of the frequencies, that he reported was being held up by certain FCC individuals, although overall approval had been made. He attested to the points; 1. Concerning how others seeking frequencies could entertain and lobby FCC representatives, 2. that he could not afford to do so on his own, and 3. The current salaried Ex. Director (At that time a paid, voting member of the Executive Council) would not assist him with expenses.

After the Freq. Comm. Chairman's presentation, there was no real movement to assist him. Realizing the importance and the urgent need for obtaining that freq. release, I moved that the FC Chairman be provided $10,000.00 to be used at his discretion and no receipts required and no questions asked. Now, the official record will show that motion was officially recorded to provide the Freq. Comm. the $10,000.00 to continue their work. There it is.
There you go. Light of day. Clear and concise. No coy insinuations. No wordplay. Just the truth as he, HC, knows it to be. By that account I would agree that HC had a lot to do with the securing of frequencies.

As loathe as I am to quote myself:

ORIGINAL: ROBOTECH

If there was no wongdoing. Let it be said so by the one's who insinuated there was. We have little or no first hand information on the subject at hand other than from one person who was there. I, and anyone else who truly seeks the facts, always welcome full disclosure rather than inuendo.
Good enough for me.

ORIGINAL: HOSSFLY

To pursue anything else on this subject is only self-gratification, generated by certain individuals that, IMO, really have no interest in the well being of the AMA and those that have worked valiantly to keep AMA, along with RC aeromodeling in operations and growth. Those that were not flying RC around the 1970-80 period using the 27MHz, where a trucker/CBer could flame your butt, and the original shared use 72-75 MHz, where a pager could shoot you down like a missile, especially in the urban areas, has no clue to what those 50 channels really meant to RC.
Well, that was a little unnecessary. I still don't understand the (hypocritical) position held by many here that it's good to seek the truth and get answers when it concerns the AMA and it's staff but not certain (favored) individuals that seek to be an official of the AMA. Tell me, how do you make the distinction. When is being a "blind sheep" OK? When is being "part of the herd mentality" OK. Enlighten me as to when marching in lockstep is the proper thing to do.

Are the folks seeking numbers on the PPP just little Geraldo Riveras running around asking questions for their own self gratification? Do the folks who are asking for changes in MA subscription really have no interest in the well being of the MA and those that have worked valiantly to keep MA, along with RC aero modeling in operations and growth?

When the rules of fairness change to fit the favored situation or the favored players the contest becomes a joke. In addition to drawing HC out to clarify his/the EC's role in the frequency grab, and probably more importantly to me anyway, it has exposed, by their own words, the duplicity and disingenuous nature of some of the regulars in this forum.

They know who they are. If your not sure go back and read your posts in this thread. (if they weren't deleted for flagrant posting rules violations) Try the shoe on. See if it fits.

Kudos to KE for trying to remain fair through most of the thread. I imagine his head was about to explode.[sm=52_52.gif] Mine is for typing this.

Kudos to Bob Mitchell for seeking the truth.

Kudos to HC for providing the clarification. (5 yards for delay of game)

With that I should like to request that RCKen lock this one up as it has come to the end of it's usefulness.

Old 09-29-2008, 05:43 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm disgusted by all of those who tried to burn Hoss on this one.

Hoss, it probably doesn't get said enough, thankyou very much for your efforts to make the AMA better for all.

Old 09-29-2008, 06:01 PM
Robotech

See?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:09 PM
combatpigg

All I see is a bunch of rapid back peddling now.
As usual, Hoss has met it head on and knocked it completely out of the ball park.
Old 09-29-2008, 06:29 PM
Robotech

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

As usual, Hoss has met it head on and knocked it completely out of the ball park.
No one has "back peddled". I had two objectives going in. Both of them were met. You have more than amply proved my point about duplicity and disingenuous non-thinkers over and over and over. You are the poster boy.

Your ribbon has been cut off at the rudder. You had better land on your belly pan and go home.

But then you're probably used to that.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Hossfly
The Frequency Committee Chairman attended that meeting. He requested financial help for obtaining the release of the frequencies, that he reported was being held up by certain FCC individuals, although overall approval had been made. He attested to the points; 1. Concerning how others seeking frequencies could entertain and lobby FCC representatives, 2. that he could not afford to do so on his own, and 3. The current salaried Ex. Director (At that time a paid, voting member of the Executive Council) would not assist him with expenses.
Horrace, I'm glad you postd further explanations. Why not just post that in the beginning, though, rather than comments that strongly insinutate wrong doing (statute of limitations, etc)? Doing so would have answered Red's question without making it appear that there were bribes or other untoward activities going on. And why have you indicated that this had a roll in your deciding to resign?

Old 09-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Bob Mitchell

Deleted duplicate posting
Old 09-29-2008, 08:21 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Not quite so fast, bub.

From "what would you do if you were on the EC?" thread, post 17:

Per Hoss:
Am I experienced enough to focus on these goals? I think so.

Significant Accomplishment:
As the AMA Dist VI DVP I originated the plan and procedure, Nov. 1981, that provided the Frequency Comm. Chairman the tools to obtain the final release of the 50 FCC frequencies now used by RC airplane modelers, from the FCC Bureaucrats holding up that final release.

That sounds a lot more grandiose than his latest version, where he made a motion to release $10,000 to speed up the release of the frequencies that were, by his own admission, gonna be released anyway.

I think the men Red quoted were right.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:38 PM
combatpigg

Robo, at year's end I'll see to it that this thread gets nominated for "excellence par none" in yellow journalism. Even though it blew up in your face, it did mange to help tide over those players here whose October issue of the National Enquirer is running late.
The mentality behind spewing forth with a thread like this one is just 1 notch above standing up in a theater and yelling "FIRE".
Old 09-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 804
//snip//

That sounds a lot more grandiose than his latest version, where he made a motion to release $10,000 to speed up the release of the frequencies that were, by his own admission, gonna be released anyway.

804 would you please explain how you conceived such a false impression as, ".... to speed up the release of the frequencies that were, by his own admission, gonna be released anyway."

There is nothing I have stated to even imply that the F.C. Chairman had any knowledge that the freqs. would be "released anyway." Approved "higher up" in DCA can gather a lot of moss while rolling downhill. In those days before cell phones, pagers were in vogue, and lots of new communication ideas were on the drawing boards. Frequencies were in big demand. In such environments, nothing is for certain.

Red's buddies were right reference the committee itself. I never worked with the committee. OTOH, I did round up the final herd which obviously worked, however it may have been applied. I relate it to years ago when I spent many hours/days/months sitting on alert beside a B-47 Stratojet loaded with 1 or more thermonuclear weapons. No one knew when the war would start. No one knew if it would or would not start. Thankfully it never did.
Would it have started had we not been ready? Was our preparation really needed? While Strategic Air Command Alert duty was a difficult time, if it made the advisors say to the Premier each morning briefing, "Mr. Premier, today is not the day." then our time was well spent.

By the same token, IMO, our money was well spent if it provided the freq. chairman and/or committee the ability to carry out their pursuit. IMO it must have, as it worked, but in reality no one can ever really know whether it was needed or not.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:29 PM

//snip//

804 would you please explain how you conceived such a false impression as, ".... to speed up the release of the frequencies that were, by his own admission, gonna be released anyway."

There is nothing I have stated to even imply that the F.C. Chairman had any knowledge that the freqs. would be "released anyway." Approved "higher up" in DCA can gather a lot of moss while rolling downhill. In those days before cell phones, pagers were in vogue, and lots of new communication ideas were on the drawing boards. Frequencies were in big demand. In such environments, nothing is for certain.

Red's buddies were right reference the committee itself. I never worked with the committee. OTOH, I did round up the final herd which obviously worked, however it may have been applied. I relate it to years ago when I spent many hours/days/months sitting on alert beside a B-47 Stratojet loaded with 1 or more thermonuclear weapons. No one knew when the war would start. No one knew if it would or would not start. Thankfully it never did.
Would it have started had we not been ready? Was our preparation really needed? While Strategic Air Command Alert duty was a difficult time, if it made the advisors say to the Premier each morning briefing, "Mr. Premier, today is not the day." then our time was well spent.

By the same token, IMO, our money was well spent if it provided the freq. chairman and/or committee the ability to carry out their pursuit. IMO it must have, as it worked, but in reality no one can ever really know whether it was needed or not.

Quote from Horrace Cain, post 46 this thread:

"The Frequency Committee Chairman attended that meeting. He requested financial help for obtaining the release of the frequencies, that he reported was being held up by certain FCC individuals, although overall approval had been made. He attested to the points; 1. Concerning how others seeking frequencies could entertain and lobby FCC representatives, 2. that he could not afford to do so on his own, and 3. The current salaried Ex. Director (At that time a paid, voting member of the Executive Council) would not assist him with expenses."

Edited to keep Hoss from having me arrested for plagiarism.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:28 AM
Robotech

Robo, at year's end I'll see to it that this thread gets nominated for "excellence par none" in yellow journalism. Even though it blew up in your face, it did mange to help tide over those players here whose October issue of the National Enquirer is running late.
The mentality behind spewing forth with a thread like this one is just 1 notch above standing up in a theater and yelling "FIRE".
Well, let's recap here for the mentally impaired.

On second thought why waste time and space.

Mr. Pigg, I suggest you go back and read all of your "contributions" to this matter and do a little self examination. Despite your constant childish and derisive musings the thread started with two objectives. The first was a call, by request, for calarification and explanation by a candidate for national office.

HC, IMO, manned up and provided that clarification.

The second was a prediction of the demonstration of low minded, negative, non-constructive behavior of certain "contributors."

You provided that in spades.

Few, if any, threads in this forum can claim as successful a conclusion as this one. While it is tempting to respond to your goading and name calling, I will let your postings speak for themselves.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:48 AM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: Robotech

Well, As KE has requested, here is a new thread addressing the alleged facilitating of the alleged bribing of federal officials by a present candidate for the AMA EC. Generally he does this on his own but for some reason he let this one slip by.

For someone who proclaims to be all about honesty and doing things the right way I find it shocking that he (the candidate) insinuated that he not only approved of and assisted in facilitating the alleged activity but even more so he bragged about it and is attempting to use it as an asset to his campaign. The candidate has zipped his lips on the subject. It's hard to believe this is the same pious, pompous individual that also insinuated that Mark Smith was "feathering his nest" with the aid of the Hobby industry. Yeesh.

As a sub-topic for discussion could be the deafening silence of his loyal minions. Perhaps they are in disbelief as their chosen one has once again shot himself in the foot. Maybe his insinuations are indefensible by even his most staunch supporters though his campaign secretary did use his usual and predictable diversionary tactic to draw off the heat and one other used his usual and predictable tactics of attempting to shoot the messenger. Neither provided a defense of his admitted alleged assistance in the breach of Federal law.

Diversion and obfuscation by the usual suspects. I can almost hear them now muttering to themselves “ Geez, Hoss, Shut the hell upâ€!

What, pray tell, would be the decibel level of the uproar if it had been someone like say, I dunno, Mark Smith?

His (the candidate's) defense? It was money better spent than the money spent on the PPP. That's really a load. Most of us learned very early on that two wrongs don't make a right. Add the fact that the PPP issue does not involve breaking any Federal laws and the spin becomes obvious..

Indefensible. He knows it and they know it.

Yeah, Tinkerbell....tell us all about your motives. Butter wouldn't melt in your mouth, would it ?
You were trying to hang him out to dry like a freshly tanned hide, obviously. Now you find yourself in a situation where all you can do is damage control, but you're only making yourself look worse..

Old 09-30-2008, 09:41 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

//snip//

Mr. 804, whoever you are, you have by your own admission been into RC for only 4 years. You have some 215 posts and all but about are 12-15 are AMA forum. You live some 50+/- miles from Muncie.
That is all OK, no big deal.

OTOH, the last portion of your above quoted post is what I wrote in a post. You did NOT identify that which I wrote as a quote or paraphrase of my writing.

That makes YOU, Sir guilty of PLAGIARISM. NAUGHTY, NAUGHTY! [sm=49_49.gif]

In my post that you quoted, I asked you a question. You failed to answer that question
Old 09-30-2008, 11:15 AM

//snip//

Mr. 804, whoever you are, you have by your own admission been into RC for only 4 years. You have some 215 posts and all but about are 12-15 are AMA forum. You live some 50+/- miles from Muncie.
That is all OK, no big deal.

OTOH, the last portion of your above quoted post is what I wrote in a post. You did NOT identify that which I wrote as a quote or paraphrase of my writing.

That makes YOU, Sir guilty of PLAGIARISM. NAUGHTY, NAUGHTY! [sm=49_49.gif]

In my post that you quoted, I asked you a question. You failed to answer that question
I've already answered your question. If you can't figure it out, your problem.

And you've got a few, evidenced by your childish rants.

Oh, terribly sorry for the inadvertent plagiarism. Hope I fixed it to your liking. If not, you know what you can do.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Kemosobie

Mark Smith for AMA EVP
Old 09-30-2008, 09:38 PM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: Robotech

Well, As KE has requested, here is a new thread addressing the alleged facilitating of the alleged bribing of federal officials by a present candidate for the AMA EC. Generally he does this on his own but for some reason he let this one slip by.

For someone who proclaims to be all about honesty and doing things the right way I find it shocking that he (the candidate) insinuated that he not only approved of and assisted in facilitating the alleged activity but even more so he bragged about it and is attempting to use it as an asset to his campaign. The candidate has zipped his lips on the subject. It's hard to believe this is the same pious, pompous individual that also insinuated that Mark Smith was "feathering his nest" with the aid of the Hobby industry. Yeesh.

As a sub-topic for discussion could be the deafening silence of his loyal minions. Perhaps they are in disbelief as their chosen one has once again shot himself in the foot. Maybe his insinuations are indefensible by even his most staunch supporters though his campaign secretary did use his usual and predictable diversionary tactic to draw off the heat and one other used his usual and predictable tactics of attempting to shoot the messenger. Neither provided a defense of his admitted alleged assistance in the breach of Federal law.

Diversion and obfuscation by the usual suspects. I can almost hear them now muttering to themselves “ Geez, Hoss, Shut the hell upâ€!

What, pray tell, would be the decibel level of the uproar if it had been someone like say, I dunno, Mark Smith?

His (the candidate's) defense? It was money better spent than the money spent on the PPP. That's really a load. Most of us learned very early on that two wrongs don't make a right. Add the fact that the PPP issue does not involve breaking any Federal laws and the spin becomes obvious..

Indefensible. He knows it and they know it.

Editted to resurrect my deleted post. I promise to never call anyone "Tinkerbell" for ever more.

Robo, you've written your own legacy...now you must live with it. Why not just "man up" to it?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:50 AM
abel_pranger

Editted to resurrect my deleted post. I promise to never call anyone "Tinkerbell" for ever more.

Robo, you've written your own legacy...now you must live with it. Why not just "man up" to it?

Well hecky darn, CP. Maybe if Tinkerbell were posting here she could help some very confused folks understand what is a crook. In the hypothetical situation being alluded to, is it a person paying a ransom, or is it a person extorting that payment? Hard to imagine that is such a hard question for some folks......but we'll likely hear a lot more rationalization from a few folks that have cornered themselves into trying to sell the ludicrous answer they have bought into. PTB was right, there's one born every minute.

Abel

Old 10-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Robotech

ORIGINAL: Combatpigg
Is anyone really stupid enough to think that Hoss would incriminate himself in a public forum?
This is so lame, like little kids playing dress up in their parent's clothes.
Yea, I heard he killed a guy, why don't you look into that when you're done here?
Diversion

KE, you would make a good prosecuting attorney. The problem is that in this forum, water tight argument flows under the bridge. What is good enough for the goose is not good enough for the gander. And now we have some Geraldo Rivera wannabe who thinks he has the scoop of the century with this lame thread. In all actuality, he is just writing his own lame lagacy. He must be one of those freelance reporters who submits to the National Enquirer?
Attack the messenger.

I agree that Hoss gets into the red ink more than his share sometimes....but let us not sidestep or "teflon" our way past the very cogent points that KE just made in post #8
Cheerleading

This thread is doing a nice job of diverting attention away from what might be the biggest waste of money in AMA history. It is amusing to see the amount of support for this architect of the PPP. If he had handed out a $200 sign up rebate to each and every PPP member, [instead of the promotional and bureaucratic costs] we would be money ahead.
Let's let this thread run it's course. Anyone who is GENUINELY interested in seeking the truth will subpoena each and every surviving member of the AMA who was in attendence at that meeting in 1981.
Diversion.

Robo, with threads like this ,you are writing your own legacy about yourself. Similar to when Geraldo invited the entire USA to tune in and watch him unveil Houdini's secrets. I'm sure that in your mind you are on some kind of noble, heroic quest. Please be that hero and save us all from ourselves.
Let me know when you're done.
Oh ya, when you are done...give us a build thread in the "unusual things forum "about how you built your time machine.
Attack the messenger.

How true, especially when you consider where he is from.
Attack the messenger.

Hoss was, as well as a few others like myself suspicious of Mark and his 2 friends who are the Captains of the Model Airplane Industry. As far as I know, no one has openly or officially accused anyone of anything. Let's not twist the facts just for the sake of dramatic effect.
Diversion.

Bob, you are taking a vague allegation and are trying to turn it into a point blank accusation. Let's not try to play "thought police" here. Let's just try to be literally correct.
What if Mark and his buddies were involved in a nest feathering scheme? Are you 100% sure that was not possible?
If so, what makes you so sure?
Diversion.

Robo's only possible goal with this thread is to somehow snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The frequency acquisition was a major victory and if it had gotten bungled, what we have taken for granted over the last 27 years would have been a whole lot different in a bad kind of way.
Attack the messenger.

I knew that this would get brought up, the only question in my mind was who was it going to be.
Hindsight is 20/20 and it is a skill that doesn't take any special gift or knowledge. In fact, many us us refrain from using it very much since it is seen as just a weak way to clutter up a discussion.
SS for model use wasn't even a rumor back then, there were already $1,000,000s worth of perfectly good radio systems in use that no one wanted to see made obsolete overnight.
Diversion.

I'm disgusted by all of those who tried to burn Hoss on this one.

Hoss, it probably doesn't get said enough, thankyou very much for your efforts to make the AMA better for all.
Attack the messenger

Attack the messenger.

Attack the messenger.

Summary for Mr. Pigg in this discussion thread:

5 - Off topic diversions
7 - personal attacks
1 - Cheerleading for KE?

Nothing contributed to the discussion at hand. Just a lot of squealing.

Gee. Mr. Pigg. It seems your legacy of posting nothing but off-topic diversions and personal attacks is intact. Good job.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:11 AM
combatpigg

Robo, if all you want to pretend to see from me is off topic ranting, personal attaks, cheerleading and diversion, I'm not surprised.

If it helps you to cope with your self inflicted legacy, so be it.

Going down your above list, I see some good points that I made that have come to fruition. Thanks for the recap!
Old 10-01-2008, 10:54 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, I think that a few people here are getting a bit out of control. I've had to go in here several times and clean this thread up and still there are some that keep wanting to take this to a personal matter. Since the original question has been asked and answered, and some want to try and stir up trouble, I think that it's best served if I just close the thread.

Ken
Old 09-23-2016, 05:25 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Here is a blast from the past that shows the conflict in the AMA subforum has endured far longer than I have been a member here . I am no one in any of these posts , my init4fun account being dated to 2009 and having never had any other user name here besides that . I mostly bumped this thread to show that ;

#1 lots of these threads are toxic , and this toxicity well predates MY time here ,

And

#2 , Possibly sketchy things HAVE happened in our AMA's past .

If anyone wants to read this thread in it's entirety , it would appear that a $10,000 "no strings attached" "payment" (some called it a bribe) was paid to the FCC to secure the 50 72MHZ channels we got in 1981 . Now , as far as I'm concerned $10K for 50 channels is a pretty good bargain indeed , and it did the hobby a world of good . But DID the ends justify the means ? If this truly was "the wheels being greased" as the gent who approved the $10K payment alluded to it being , does that not mean our AMA participated in a crime by "greasing" the FCC official who got the $10K ?

Now , before anyone goes attacking me , READ THE THREAD FIRST ! and remember , I had NO part in ANY of it , I am bringing this up purely to cement the point that no one is perfect and that yes , even our AMA , has things in it's past that to the folks participating at the time "didn't look quite right"

As an afterthought you will also notice Ken mentioning that at least twice he had to clean up the thread , if the posts that remain are any indicator of the posts that had to be deleted , they musta been some REAL nasty posts indeed , cause even the ones that remain look far worse than anything we're seeing posted today , by at least most of our fellow posters ........

Last edited by init4fun; 09-23-2016 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Typos , of course ...
Old 09-23-2016, 05:32 AM
init4fun

PS , Ken mentioned the thread being closed and yet someone (not me as I don't have any moderator abilities here) must have saw fit to re open it at some time in the past . I do wonder why a thread would be closed and then opened for new posting again ?

Anyway , reading this thread , it is interesting to see that sometimes , the more things change , some things always remain the same .............
Old 09-23-2016, 12:56 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by init4fun
Here is a blast from the past that shows the conflict in the AMA subforum has endured far longer than I have been a member here . I am no one in any of these posts , my init4fun account being dated to 2009 and having never had any other user name here besides that . I mostly bumped this thread to show that ;

#1 lots of these threads are toxic , and this toxicity well predates MY time here ,

The Join date is for the most part irrelevant. The toxicity of the threads is, and will always be here (regrettably), because it's an hot button issue. Like Hobby King, or Politics. We should be able to discuss differences without it always turning personal.

This is a newer one, but the issues remain.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-...ons-forum.html

I remember when I used to say that last sentence too,....but here's another thread that's a little more recent, that pretty much goes along the same lines. Same issues, same players (for the most part). I think Ken had mentioned before that RCU rarely closes a thread down, they just let it sort of meander off into the ether.

#2 , Possibly sketchy things HAVE happened in our AMA's past .

"Sketchy" is subjective of course, but what you linked to doesn't appear to have anything to do with the recent specific allegations of fraud by the AMA, or it's employees. Keep in mind, this isn't an attack, just a comment that there still doesn't appear to be any support for the allegations that anyone has been involved in fraudulent activities.

Last edited by porcia83; 09-23-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:21 PM
init4fun

This thread was bumped for two reasons only , the two reasons that appear in my first post to the thread .

#1 , show the contention in these forums predates my participation here

And

#2 , show that things have been done by the AMA in the past that have raised some eyebrows at the time .

No one mentioned it as being any kinds of attempted rebuttal to any present day conversation .

Except you ....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.