Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is it okeydokey to choose not to vote in AMA election

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Its ok to choose to not vote in AMA elections
62.50%
Its not ok to choose to not vote in AMA in AMA elections
37.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Is it okeydokey to choose not to vote in AMA election

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 02:27 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is it okeydokey to choose not to vote in AMA election

ORIGINAL: Liberator
Sorry that confused me. Are you saying that assigning a moral value to voting at the civic level is absurd?
Nope. Two separate things. The first is assigning a moral value to voting in an AMA election. It isn't a good thing or a bad thing to do. It's not a moral issue. It's simply a personal preference that doesn't reflect negatively or positively on a person. If it did, the vast majority of AMA members would be bad members. In my view, the only bad members are those that knowingly put the hobby at risk through behavior that reflects poorly on us all.

The second thing is that I've seen some people equate voting in an AMA election to voting in a civic election. To me, that's rather silly, to say the least. The AMA is a private group that provides a framework for a hobby. It isn't the US government. Then again, some of those same people also attempt to interject American politics into AMA politics. That's pretty stupid, too.

This is still a hobby that we do where we play with toy airplanes. Vote or don't vote, just don't spout off you don't like the way things are done.
I think we've all got the right to do bothto vote and to spout off. Whether I've voted for a particular candidate that won, a candidate that lost, or no candidate at all those that are elected still are responsible to AMA members. To suggest that AMA leadership is only responsible to the tiny minority of AMA members that vote is irresponsible, in my view.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: STLPilot2

Terrific ... you served, welcome to the club. I'm just a tad surprised.
Why is that?

If you do not vote, how is your voice heard in the first place.
The constitution doesn't even give people the right to elect a President, that is given to us by the States. The first amendment gives the person a right to voice their opinion granted to us by not that only serve, but those that help support by going to work everyday and are citizens, unconditionally until that person chooses no longer to have a voice.
How does getting up and going to work in the morning help preserve your's or anyone else's right to vote?

People get to make choices and tho you've stated your opinion, it's really nobody's business but their own whether they want to vote and/or voice their opinions if they didn't.
The nice thing about living here in the US is that we have the right to voice our opinions about something which may or may not be of our own business.

And of course the whole premise of this thread is whether it's OK for a voting member of the AMA to just decide not to vote. Of course it's solely to the discretion of the member whether he/she chooses to vote or not, but that's not the question the OP asked, is it?

[/quote]

Bob,

He does not really get up and go to work....He's out on the Frontier.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 10-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: MikeL
Nope. Two separate things. The first is assigning a moral value to voting in an AMA election. It isn't a good thing or a bad thing to do. It's not a moral issue. It's simply a personal preference that doesn't reflect negatively or positively on a person. If it did, the vast majority of AMA members would be bad members. In my view, the only bad members are those that knowingly put the hobby at risk through behavior that reflects poorly on us all.
I think it's an apathetic thing to do, and unfortunately most members of AMA are apathetic. Now the question becomes: Is being apathetic bad.

The second thing is that I've seen some people equate voting in an AMA election to voting in a civic election. To me, that's rather silly, to say the least. The AMA is a private group that provides a framework for a hobby. It isn't the US government.
Seems to me the same apathy is at work, though.

This is still a hobby that we do where we play with toy airplanes. Vote or don't vote, just don't spout off you don't like the way things are done.
Agree with that.

And.......don't spout out about not being able to vote if you joined as a non-voitng member.

I think we've all got the right to do bothto vote and to spout off. Whether I've voted for a particular candidate that won, a candidate that lost, or no candidate at all those that are elected still are responsible to AMA members. To suggest that AMA leadership is only responsible to the tiny minority of AMA members that vote is irresponsible, in my view.
I agree that AMA leadership is responsible to ALL members. OTOH, to me it's more than a bit hypocritical to not vote and then complain about what you get.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Blue_Sky

And.......don't spout out about not being able to vote if you joined as a non-voitng member.
From your perspective your statement seems true to you, but in fact it's a false statement.

People fight for freedom to ensure freedom for everyone, including the freedom to dissent. It simply goes with the territory of protecting individual freedom and it's something mature people do.

You can bitterly argue with someone and state your point, but you have to defend their right to say what they believe. As I said, it goes with the territory.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:51 PM
calachie

This is about the AMA - isn't it ?
Old 10-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do vote in AMA elections. I have belonged to organizations where I didn't care who was in office and thus did not vote. I regard it as a duty to vote in governmental elections.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:05 PM
My Feedback: (1)

I can't equate voting or not as a member of an enthusiast org., to voting or not in a government election.
But since the discussion is about AMA, I'll say I have no problem with members not voting.

I'm interested in the type of leadership we elect, but I can't expect every AMA member to share that interest. It's just not realistic, nor any of my business.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:45 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Blue_Sky
From your perspective your statement seems true to you, but in fact it's a false statement.

People fight for freedom to ensure freedom for everyone, including the freedom to dissent. It simply goes with the territory of protecting individual freedom and it's something mature people do.

You can bitterly argue with someone and state your point, but you have to defend their right to say what they believe. As I said, it goes with the territory.
It's not false at all. I can't keep someone from freely expressing their opinion, (and wouldn't try) but can certainly be of the opinion that they shouldn't be. That's what I said, basically.

Do you remember the famous phrase that I paraphrased early in this discussion? "I may not agree with your choice not to vote, but will defend to the death your right to do so".

Old 10-18-2008, 04:17 AM
Blue_Sky

It's not false at all. I can't keep someone from freely expressing their opinion, (and wouldn't try) but can certainly be of the opinion that they shouldn't be. That's what I said, basically.
You can't have it both ways. In the above quote you’re saying: My opinion is they “certainly†shouldn’t be expressing their opinion. Oh really? What should people do if they have an opinion? Just shut up because you think they should?

On one hand you say people shouldn’t be expressing an opinion because it doesn’t agree with you, and on the other hand you say you wouldn’t keep someone from freely expressing their opinion.

At this point I could deliver hundreds of different sentences to you, some forbidden by the rules of the forum and some encouraging you. I’ll choose instead telling KE it was a great topic, good job.

It’s great because people checked in and voted in the poll with an alignment that does not fit the two sides of the fence we’ve seen in the past 30 days. KE is a very good forward thinker and I thank him. I wish I had that ability, but I’m stuck reacting.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:41 AM
calachie

Since this is about the AMA I will say this again.
We don't have to vote but if you can't (because your not a voting member) or don't vote(because you don't want to) then you have no say in what goes on.
Old 10-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Blue_Sky

You can't have it both ways. In the above quote you’re saying: My opinion is they “certainly†shouldn’t be expressing their opinion. Oh really? What should people do if they have an opinion? Just shut up because you think they should?

On one hand you say people shouldn’t be expressing an opinion because it doesn’t agree with you, and on the other hand you say you wouldn’t keep someone from freely expressing their opinion.
Edit:

Re-read my quote above, and then the words you bolded in your response. Do you not realize they aren't the same thing? You are re-arranging what I said, and then disagreeing with your re-arrangement. Saying (my words now, not your take on them) "....but can certainly be of the opinion that they......." is NOT the same thing as saying (your words that you are trying to put in my mouth) ".....they 'certainly' shouldn't be expressing their opinion."

If you don't see the difference in what I said, and what you tried to change it to then the subtlety of this whole discussion is being lost on you. There is a huge difference between preventing someone from saying something, or saying that they should be prevented, and saying they "shouldn't" say it. The very use of the word "should" makes it an opinion, doesn't it?

End Edit

The conundrum here is that you're telling me I shouldn't be expressing my/this opinion.

My OPINION is that they have the choice to vote or not, and should freely exercise that choice. My other OPINION is that they are wrong in selecting the latter and if they DO select the latter and then P&M about the results, they are wrong again. It doesn't mean that they can't, doesn't mean that I think they should be prevented from doing so. It does mean I think it's wrong. Simple as that. That's certainly not "having it both ways", Blue Sky.

Again.....did you read my paraphrase of one of the founding fathers?

At this point I could deliver hundreds of different sentences to you, some forbidden by the rules of the forum and some encouraging you.
Then why mention it? That's kinda like saying "it goes without saying that I disagree with you".

I’ll choose instead telling KE it was a great topic, good job.
I think it was/is an interesting topic also.

I wish I had that ability, but I’m stuck reacting.
Or mis-reacting, as in this case.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:25 PM
704hank

Bob
I do not believe what is going on here!!
It dependes on what IS IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GOD HELP US WE NEED YOU NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!![sm=drowning.gif]
HANK
Old 10-18-2008, 03:59 PM
MikeL

ORIGINAL: calachie

We don't have to vote but if you can't (because your not a voting member) or don't vote(because you don't want to) then you have no say in what goes on.
If a person votes for the losing candidate, do they have any say in what goes on?
Old 10-18-2008, 04:50 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike, yes they do. Dave
Old 10-18-2008, 05:33 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

An uninformed vote is an irresponsible vote. It is based on zero knowledge.
Are you with me so far?
Most votes are uninformed, unless the voter has decided to hire a detective agency to check up on the candidates and devote his life to researching what all the candidates stand for, plus learning about their past performance.
Are you still with me?
Based on your logic, any blithering idiot who votes in favor of the guy who kissed his baby or maybe shook his hand at "Top Gun" has a valid say in what goes on, but an individual who realizes that all he is capable of casting is an ignorant vote, so he does the responsible thing and doesn't vote......this guy has no say?
Your statement above speaks clearly about your powers of reason.
Old 10-18-2008, 06:18 PM
calachie

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I vote on what I believe in. Do you

Are you with me so far?

Are you.

Most votes are uninformed, unless the voter has decided to hire a detective agency to check up on the candidates and devote his life to researching what all the candidates stand for, plus learning about their past performance.

So what your saying is that unless we all have hired a detective to check them out we shouldn't vote at all? Did you hire one?

Are you still with me?

Are you

Based on your logic, any blithering idiot who votes in favor of the guy who kissed his baby or maybe shook his hand at "Top Gun" has a valid say in what goes on, but an individual who realizes that all he is capable of casting is an ignorant vote, so he does the responsible thing and doesn't vote......this guy has no say?

What I am saying is I vote on what I believe in & If you don't vote then let things run it's course because you didn't care anyway.

As does yours.

Now let me say that if I don't like what the person I voted for is doing I have the right to complain. And if I don't like what the person I didn't vote for is doing I have the right to complain. But if I didn't vote at all then No I don't have the right to complain.

Are you with me?
Old 10-18-2008, 06:25 PM
The Toolman

Are you with me so far?
Are you still with me?

CP, Your beatin' a dead horse with this guy, so I guess I'm gonna hafta give you the award this week

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77466.gif
Views:	12
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	1054443  
Old 10-18-2008, 06:50 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Thankyou, thankyou. I accept this award on behalf of all the other dead horse beaters who have tirelessly crusaded for common sense and sober reason.

Calachie, uhh..I guess I shouldn't have tried to use any abstract or metaphorical examples with you. I'm sorry if it was too much. []
Old 10-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Stickbuilder

I vote on what I believe in. Do you

Are you with me so far?

Are you.

So what your saying is that unless we all have hired a detective to check them out we shouldn't vote at all? Did you hire one?

Are you still with me?

Are you

What I am saying is I vote on what I believe in & If you don't vote then let things run it's course because you didn't care anyway.

As does yours.

Now let me say that if I don't like what the person I voted for is doing I have the right to complain. And if I don't like what the person I didn't vote for is doing I have the right to complain. But if I didn't vote at all then No I don't have the right to complain.

Are you with me?
(long sigh)(Borrowed from Robotech)

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 10-18-2008, 07:21 PM
calachie

Excuse me I forgot where I was. I didn't realize that I was in the AMA Expert & Know it all Forum.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:25 PM
Stickbuilder

Excuse me I forgot where I was. I didn't realize that I was in the AMA Expert & Know it all Forum.
Well, now you know.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 10-18-2008, 08:50 PM
MikeL

Are you with me?
Not at all. You're attempting to say that a right is tied to a decision to vote or not. What you're doing is ascribing how you feel about voting to someone else's right to be displeased with an organization they belong to. Remove your emotion from it, and you'll no longer see any connection between voting and complaining. Why? Because there simply is no connection between the two.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the if you are a member, and don't vote, you have no right to an opinion corner. I don't think anyone has a inborn right to an opinion. Right to an opinion is earned through thoughtful consideration of the matter. Oddly enough, I can see where someone not a member could have a legitimate opinion about the organization.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:06 AM
The Toolman

What about the people that don't like either one, so they don't vote at all. Does that mean that they shouldn't have a say in what goes on, an how things are run? As long as they are a member, I believe they still ought to have the right to complain.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:10 AM

Are you with me so far?
Are you still with me?
If this individual is responsible enough to realize he is too ignorant to vote for a candidate to represent his views(and that is what we are voting for, not directly on the issues), then why should that same responsible person feel he should have any "say", as you put it?

Power of reasoning?

The truth is there are very few who would not vote because of the reason you stated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.