Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

FBI terrorism task force

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

FBI terrorism task force

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 11:44 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: FBI terrorism task force

ORIGINAL: cap10b

We all like to think of our security agencies as stainless steel efficiency but in reality there more like keystone cops.

jds
I can definitely attest to that! It just happened that I was out flying on 9/11 at the same time NYC, DC & the PA field was hit - had no idea that it was happening. I was forced to land my planes and pack up by VA State Police, backed up by our county sheriff. They were of the opinion that they could just "confiscate" my planes right then and there, in the interests of national security apparently.

Fortunately, I was raised military and served 22 years myself, so I know what "Big Brother" can and can't do on the spot. I've still got my planes, needless to say, and the local keystoners have nothing to say about it anymore.

My only advice to ALL the American public is to become knowledgeable of what your authorities can and can't do - and don't EVER let them bluff you. More often than not, these people are undertrained and overzealous - a potentially dangerous combination.

Dave
Old 10-27-2008, 11:48 AM
KidEpoxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rack
no mater what the weight self regulation does work
It only "works" if no manufacturers will sell a Senior Telemaster or Kadet to a guy without proper ama credentials... which are not needed for a small big plane that can carry the extra weight of a camera & 100ammo 22rifle & trigger servo.

Lets go ahead and talk about the 55+ planes
again, it only 'works' if they wont be sold to guys without "AMA" waivers?
I highly doubt they(manufacturers) will refuse to sell to a guy with nothing but thousands of dollars.

Perhaps the outrageous costs of a $2000 rc plane will keep the guys that take intercontenental flights, and can get explosives, from doing anything bad.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Spetz

What does the EU have to do with anything?

The real terrorists are America
Old 10-27-2008, 12:02 PM
The Toolman

Excuse Me?
Old 10-27-2008, 12:11 PM
KidEpoxy

Perhaps for this discussion we can limit the term Terrorist to
Civialian Combatants intent on causeing harm to civilian noncombatant targets
and stay away from identifying exactly where they come from.

Lets stay focused on Muncie, the US Government, and the big picture of generic terrorists
Old 10-27-2008, 12:17 PM
rack
My Feedback: (11)

here's a response from an AMA rep, i wont include his name because i received it in a private e mail.

We get things like this quite often. Most all of the time they are simply doing their job and really looking for modelers to be sort of an asset to them in keeping our eyes and ears open and to report anything suspicious.
One of the things we've noticed is that the Bureau is so big that many times there seems to be a communications disconnect where one field office may not know of another field office's interfacing with modelers in other parts of the country. And, while we try to work contacts at the Washington level, that information doesn't always filter down to the local field offices. And when it does it seems to take some time. So we sometimes find that even with national communication, it's important to also follow-up on these one-on-one type contacts.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:29 PM
cap10b

Which brings up another sore subject the Feds are out of touch with the IT department, unless they call someone on the telephone there is no communication, Richard Clark (Im not a fan of his no way) even said the defense department , the feds, homeland security and the CIA all use different communictions techniques and channels non of them do the same thing the same way twice in a row and he probably got fired because he beat the whitehouse over the head with this stuff.
I think the aim of the AMA and the FAA is "Dont Rock the boat" meaning dont make us think and dont ask for anything.
Keep your eyes forward your head down and your mouth shut.

LOL

jds

Old 10-28-2008, 02:42 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Its one thing to read a memo. Its another to go out in the field and see for yourself. Frankly, I see nothing wrong with it.

We don't know what they were working on. We do know they found a local expert and consulted with him. I don't see a snafu.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:17 AM
bdtsr
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Several years ago I was on the phone with a gentleman from California regarding FBI interest in large scale planes for THEIR own use in airborn monitoring of suspects. I know this person was valid because of the channels it went through. Now if someone shows up at my house or any where I fly claiming to be FBI, you can bet I want ID from them and will be calling the Philly FBI office to verify their info. If we can have 9/11 happen, who says these guys are for real? They could easily be imposters looking for that "Can you teach me to fly but I don't need to know how to land" crap. I believe the AMA is actively involved with any agency that could have an effect on our hobby. As stated in this thread, with all the technology available, RC planes could easily be used for the "WRONG" purposes. Does UAV sound familiar? I also feel that if you don't do something to cause a problem, problems don't usually come looking for you. By this I mean, don't fly your rc plane through airport airspace or near government buildings. I would have loved to have had the chance to work with the FBI and use something I really enjoy doing to help our country, just didn't work out that way.