Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Improve Model Aviation Magazine?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Improve Model Aviation Magazine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:02 PM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improve Model Aviation Magazine?

Well it's time to renew again and as I write my check I notice there are about seven Model Aviation magazines sitting on the end of my workbench that have been thumbed through but will never be read. I know I'm not alone. Years ago I paid good money for RCM or MAN every month and read those magazines from cover to cover. Does anyone have a suggestion to improve reader interest?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:21 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Improve Model Aviation Magazine?

How many ARF product reviews can you read before falling asleep? The mystery, ingenuity and variety are mostly gone. The sport used to be more of an adventure, becoming a master model builder and flyer was a real accomplishment. This is what gave the old magazines interesting material to report and do feature articles on. The hobby has transformed to pre-packaged, stamped out mechanical objects that the average guy just whips out his credit card for and goes home to stick 6 parts together. How interesting can any magazine make this [the state of our hobby] seem like?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:46 PM
KW_Counter

Crate Cruncher,
I get Model Aviation, MAN and RC News.
I think Model Aviation is the best!
The others are mostly reviews of planes I don't want, won't fit in my truck or I can't afford.
Model Aviation I go immediateley to the Safety column, then the Battery Clinic and finally the Q&A article.
It's nice to read something other than reviews.
The other two are so bad they both had the same model on their covers on the last issues I got.
Just my opinion, and I know what it's worth.
KW_Counter
Old 11-13-2008, 10:43 AM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

How many ARF product reviews can you read before falling asleep? The mystery, ingenuity and variety are mostly gone. The sport used to be more of an adventure, becoming a master model builder and flyer was a real accomplishment. This is what gave the old magazines interesting material to report and do feature articles on. The hobby has transformed to pre-packaged, stamped out mechanical objects that the average guy just whips out his credit card for and goes home to stick 6 parts together. How interesting can any magazine make this [the state of our hobby] seem like?
I think you're right......the hobby has changed from one where to fly an airplane you had to build it from a kit (or scratch) to ARF focused, and the magazine coverage is following the focus of the hobby. It's not difficult to pick up on that, even for one who is fairly new. If one has little (or no) interest in ARF's then much of the content of several of the mass market magazines is going to be lost on them. MA is also in the position of needing to publish information that focuses on smaller niches such as free flight or control line because of the nature of the organization which publishes it. I tend to skip those sections, as well as others that cater to areas of the hobby that either don't interest me or that I haven't gotten into yet. But then I don't read every article in Car & Driver or Road & Track, either.

Model aviation is changing; some are going to like the change, and some will not. That's the nature of change. I think the magazines are being pulled along with that change, and it's probably the right thing for them to do.

As a relative newcomer my perspective on ARF's is that they made it much easier for me to get started and to determine if model aviation appeals to me as much as I thought it would. From that standpoint, the emphasis on ARF's in the magazines is good. I'm planning on building a kit this winter, if for no other reason than to find out if building is as much fun to me as the flying, and if nothing else, to develop some skills to assist with repairs.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As said, MA is tracking the changes in model aviation. It has to cater to all aspects of model aviation while entertaining the majority with reviews of ARF's. I'm mostly interested in free flight and control line so much of the magazine is of little interest. I read how to and construction articles and even pick up a tip or to from how someone made an ARF better. Actually the only thing I don't read are the battery and helicopter articles. And I think helicopter is under reprersented. I did enjoy the issue on the indoor nationals. If you have not seen indoor free flight and get an opportunity to do so you will think it time well spent.

Flying Models matches my interests better than Model Aviation, while still covering the spectrum.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I think you're right......the hobby has changed from one where to fly an airplane you had to build it from a kit (or scratch) to ARF focused, and the magazine coverage is following the focus of the hobby. It's not difficult to pick up on that, even for one who is fairly new. If one has little (or no) interest in ARF's then much of the content of several of the mass market magazines is going to be lost on them. MA is also in the position of needing to publish information that focuses on smaller niches such as free flight or control line because of the nature of the organization which publishes it. I tend to skip those sections, as well as others that cater to areas of the hobby that either don't interest me or that I haven't gotten into yet. But then I don't read every article in Car & Driver or Road & Track, either.

Model aviation is changing; some are going to like the change, and some will not. That's the nature of change. I think the magazines are being pulled along with that change, and it's probably the right thing for them to do.

As a relative newcomer my perspective on ARF's is that they made it much easier for me to get started and to determine if model aviation appeals to me as much as I thought it would. From that standpoint, the emphasis on ARF's in the magazines is good. I'm planning on building a kit this winter, if for no other reason than to find out if building is as much fun to me as the flying, and if nothing else, to develop some skills to assist with repairs.

Not to micro critique your post, but you need to get one thing very straight, and very quickly. Free Flight is the main reason that you have the AMA that you have today. Free Flight, Rubber, and Control line are not Niche markets, but are the old timers in the AMA. What interests you is very new to the hobby. Just because it has developed a bigger following, does not mean that you need to shuttle the old interests off into a, "Niche." Pay your dues, get some time invested, and learn about the hobby before painting the hobby with a broad brush. These guys can trim a model to make it fly as was intended, rather than disturbing a flying model as you are learning to do. As far as I'm concerned, ARF's and Electrics are Niche markets, and not the other way around.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson
If you have not seen indoor free flight and get an opportunity to do so you will think it time well spent.
When I first decided to get into RC flying earlier this year the first thing I did was pick up a couple of magazines and to look for sites such as this on the internet. Boy did I get my eyes opened as to the breadth of the hobby and the huge range of equipment available. Not to mention the range of huge equipment. [X(]

My experience was limited to some CL flying as a kid with Cox and Wen-Mac 049 size stuff. 70" glow trainers? Twin cylinder glow engines? Mulit-engine scale planes? Flaps? Retractable gear? 20' scale B29's with rocket powered X-1's that could be dropped and ignited in flight? Sail planes? Free flight competitions? Who knew?

Again, I'm amazed at the breadth of the hobby. Wish I'd done this 20 years ago.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:33 PM
CrateCruncher

In starting this thread my purpose is not to bash Model Aviation or those that contribute to it. But naturally if I'm motivated enough to begin the discussion I'm going to weigh-in with an opinion. My purpose here is ONLY to foster a discussion on how to make it better.

I've been hanging around the RC forums since returning to the hobby about two years ago. When I have a question I can get an answer almost immediately. Sometimes I have to take an average of several answers and drop the outliers but I get there. So when I read an article in MA I'm looking for some depth. I don't want "Here's a thumbnail sketch of the topic in 175 words or less". I can easily get that from the net.

The "how-to" article should be the focus of the entire magazine in my opinion. One article that stood out in recent memory was Pete Oochroma's 11 page effort titled "Turbine Modeling Made Easy" in the August 2008 issue. It was informative, well organized and deep enough to hold my interest without losing me in the weeds. He clearly put a lot of work into it, even listing websites of suppliers at the end for further reading. Another that generated weeks of internet buzz was a concise yet thought-provoking article on propeller performance calculations. (I apologize to the author. I misplaced the issue). Both were excellent and we need many more of those in my opinion.

The other type story that needs better focus is the "event" article. Many of these mention dozens of people's names and what they did while ignoring what the event is about or how it impacts the progress of model aviation. I don't know Jim and Sally Smith from Columbia, South Carolina and in all likelihood never will! What is significant about their airplane? Why not focus on the technical aspects of the top winner's airplanes instead of a rambling outline of the entire three-day event. Some competitions don't even mention who won!

Another problem I'm seeing more of is the "push article". As the publication becomes increasingly focused on the needs of the advertisers their accepting pre-packaged articles about new products being heavily promoted by the manufacturer. When done right it can give the reader information and exposure to something he might not have otherwise considered. When done wrong it loses objectivity and becomes nothing more than a disguised advertisement.

The internet world is full of amateurs (us) freely divulging our hard-won knowledge so I think it becomes increasingly important for hardcopy publishers to become more focused. AMA is a big tent covering many aspects of aero-modeling that we can't all possibly be interested in. But if I get one or two in-depth professionally written articles I'm interested in from each issue I for one would be quite happy. Most of the AMA Mission Statement mentions "development, education, education and scientific/technical development". What better place to do it than Model Aviation.

And who knows, I might just give free-flight a second look.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder
Not to micro critique your post, but you need to get one thing very straight, and very quickly. Free Flight is the main reason that you have the AMA that you have today. Free Flight, Rubber, and Control line are not Niche markets, but are the old timers in the AMA. What interests you is very new to the hobby. Just because it has developed a bigger following, does not mean that you need to shuttle the old interests off into a, "Niche." Pay your dues, get some time invested, and learn about the hobby before painting the hobby with a broad brush. These guys can trim a model to make it fly as was intended, rather than disturbing a flying model as you are learning to do. As far as I'm concerned, ARF's and Electrics are Niche markets, and not the other way around.
Bill, AMA 4720
Bill, if my comments sounded negative, then I apologize. They certainly weren't meant to. My use of the word "niche" was one in terms of market size only and not a reflection on skill, ability or history. The last thing I'm going to do is denigrate any part of the hobby that others enjoy, or the skills involved, whether it's something I'm interested in or not.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: CrateCruncher

In starting this thread my purpose is not to bash Model Aviation or those that contribute to it. But naturally if I'm motivated enough to begin the discussion I'm going to weigh-in with an opinion. My purpose here is ONLY to foster a discussion on how to make it better.

I've been hanging around the RC forums since returning to the hobby about two years ago. When I have a question I can get an answer almost immediately. Sometimes I have to take an average of several answers and drop the outliers but I get there. So when I read an article in MA I'm looking for some depth. I don't want "Here's a thumbnail sketch of the topic in 175 words or less". I can easily get that from the net.

The "how-to" article should be the focus of the entire magazine in my opinion. One article that stood out in recent memory was Pete Oochroma's 11 page effort titled "Turbine Modeling Made Easy" in the August 2008 issue. It was informative, well organized and deep enough to hold my interest without losing me in the weeds. He clearly put a lot of work into it, even listing websites of suppliers at the end for further reading. Another that generated weeks of internet buzz was a concise yet thought-provoking article on propeller performance calculations. (I apologize to the author. I misplaced the issue). Both were excellent and we need many more of those in my opinion.

The other type story that needs better focus is the "event" article. Many of these mention dozens of people's names and what they did while ignoring what the event is about or how it impacts the progress of model aviation. I don't know Jim and Sally Smith from Columbia, South Carolina and in all likelihood never will! What is significant about their airplane? Why not focus on the technical aspects of the top winner's airplanes instead of a rambling outline of the entire three-day event. Some competitions don't even mention who won!

Another problem I'm seeing more of is the "push article". As the publication becomes increasingly focused on the needs of the advertisers their accepting pre-packaged articles about new products being heavily promoted by the manufacturer. When done right it can give the reader information and exposure to something he might not have otherwise considered. When done wrong it loses objectivity and becomes nothing more than a disguised advertisement.

The internet world is full of amateurs (us) freely divulging our hard-won knowledge so I think it becomes increasingly important for hardcopy publishers to become more focused. AMA is a big tent covering many aspects of aero-modeling that we can't all possibly be interested in. But if I get one or two in-depth professionally written articles I'm interested in from each issue I for one would be quite happy. Most of the AMA Mission Statement mentions "development, education, education and scientific/technical development". What better place to do it than Model Aviation.

And who knows, I might just give free-flight a second look.
While I don't claim to have a clue as to why MA does some of the things that they do, and in the manner in which they choose to to them, I can say with a little bit of authority why often the information that you are requesting is often missing from an article, or from a column. When attending a major contest (I'll use Top Gun), often the owner of the model is not present when you are in the area where his plane is parked. You will probably know who the model belongs to, and the name of the airplane, and who built the full scale. You may not have an opportunity to see the owner before the contest is over, and if the contest runs for 4 or 5 days, he may leave before the contest is over. You don't dare touch the model, or get so close that you might find out which engine he used.

I'll use a well known 33% Yellow Waco for an example. I know that it belongs to a nice Gentleman from Ohio, who's name is Mike. I also know that it is a YMF-5 and is a scale model of a Waco Classic that was built by Classic Aircraft out of Michigan. I also know which kit the model is based on with many modifications. I also happen to know that the engine is a Moki, 215, and that the Radio is a Futaba. If the owner were not a personal friend of mine, then I wouldn't know that.

Give the writers a little slack. They spend the entire week or at least the weekend getting the best photos and information possible. Often, due to space limitations, the editor will cut the stink out of the information that you supply to the magazine with the photos and photo identification, and/or descriptions. It's not that we don't want to give you what you want, but if you want that much info, you might want to attend the event yourself, and spend the whole day looking at one plane. It would be easy to do.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Model Aviation is about all it can be, give the diverse interests it must serve. My own feeling about model aviation is that there is a huge diversity of very interesting things going on. I think the more you know about something, the more you can enjoy it. The aspect I am pursuing at the moment is fairly narrow and focused. I'm not doing turbines, but I had an opportunity to watch a couple of guys put up several turbine flights. I felt it was time well spent. I now have an idea of how a turbine flier operates. Should I ever consider becoming one, my decision making will be a little better informed.

I do agree with the comment about needing more information about the why of events. For example, the Vintage Stunt Contest in Tucson gets covered, and I look to see if my picture is there.[8D] But how is an RC turbine flier, who knows nothing of control line, to have any appreciation of the coverage if he has no idea why it happened, or what contestants were trying to accomplish? As it is, coverage of events is for those who were there or wish they had been.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:50 PM
CrateCruncher

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Give the writers a little slack. They spend the entire week or at least the weekend getting the best photos and information possible. Often, due to space limitations, the editor will cut the stink out of the information that you supply to the magazine with the photos and photo identification, and/or descriptions. It's not that we don't want to give you what you want, but if you want that much info, you might want to attend the event yourself, and spend the whole day looking at one plane. It would be easy to do.

Bill, AMA 4720
Gosh Stick, I didn't realize I was being so harsh asking for only two articles of interest in each 200 page issue. A writer who spends four days at an event and doesn't even bother showcasing the winning entries and their builders is kinda sad. If this publication didn't have a captive subscription base I think they would have made hard changes long ago or been consigned to oblivion with the others. Advertising sales are the major focus of the magazine, the interests of members are secondary because we can't voice our displeasure by cancelling. How long before those advertisers begin to realize their ad-copy isn't being read and stop paying for it? There are much better ways to target advertising budgets in the internet age after all.

I don't think "over editing" is the problem either. This is a big magazine! If anything writers are probably being asked to "stretch it". Model Aviation has gobs of potential which is why it kinda frustrates me that it's mediocre despite so much money and effort in putting it together every issue. The cost to publish is the same whether the article is good or not. Let's put the emphasis back on that!
Old 11-13-2008, 05:35 PM
combatpigg

I agree with JimT.
MA is doing everything they can do with the hand they have been dealt. The sport has evolved to a point where it gets tougher and tougher to come up with fresh and interesting material to cover. ARF or no ARF, just about everything that can be done, has been done.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Stickbuilder

Gosh Stick, I didn't realize I was being so harsh asking for only two articles of interest in each 200 page issue. A writer who spends four days at an event and doesn't even bother showcasing the winning entries and their builders is kinda sad. If this publication didn't have a captive subscription base I think they would have made hard changes long ago or been consigned to oblivion with the others. Advertising sales are the major focus of the magazine, the interests of members are secondary because we can't voice our displeasure by cancelling. How long before those advertisers begin to realize their ad-copy isn't being read and stop paying for it? There are much better ways to target advertising budgets in the internet age after all.

I don't think "over editing" is the problem either. This is a big magazine! If anything writers are probably being asked to "stretch it". Model Aviation has gobs of potential which is why it kinda frustrates me that it's mediocre despite so much money and effort in putting it together every issue. The cost to publish is the same whether the article is good or not. Let's put the emphasis back on that!
Actually, in MA, the pages for anything are very limited. Like I said, often the owner is not available to provide the information, and There is only so much time to do the shots per day. The winners are often not announced until late on the last day.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-13-2008, 06:09 PM
CrateCruncher

Some ideas for "how-to" articles:

Working with a Kit Cutter
CAD Programs under $30
Where does balsa come from?
Aerodynamics ABC's
Reducing Drag
Air vs. Mech Retract Systems
Senior Pattern Association In Depth
Setting Incidence
Aerobatic Maneuver of The Month
Airframe Repair Column
Radio Programming ABC's
Rebuilding A Tired Engine
All About Biplanes
LiPo Pack Comparison Test
Propeller Comparison Test
Etc., Etc., Etc.

Those are the kinds of articles I'd be interested in. I bet everyones lists are a little different but these aren't the articles being written. How about genuine product comparisons with DATA. I bet even if many would never rebuild an engine they might well be interested in reading about how its done if nothing else just to learn how a 2-stroke works. I've watched famed Yankee Norm Abram build a warehouse full of furniture over the years but have yet to actually try it myself. ARF's are here to stay but I keep hearing people say "I'd like to try a kit sometime but it seems kinda overwhelming." This MA magazine has a ton of potential.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:31 PM
CrateCruncher

Stick, I hear ya about the winners not being announced until late on the last day. However, journalists and writers everywhere are faced with this problem and have learned to work around it by handicapping the entrants beforehand. Everyone knows who the top 5-7 favorites are and so they spend some time with each one filling in a backstory during the event. Ever notice when the olympic swimmer wins the gold suddenly the network has a 3 minute clip about the guy in his home town riding his motorcycle to class or whatever. In the unlikely event the overall winner wasn't on the handicap list he's probably so jazzed about winning he's happy to stick around another hour to take pictures for MA. It's not a big deal. I think they just don't know to do it (or care).
Old 11-13-2008, 08:17 PM
Stickbuilder

Stick, I hear ya about the winners not being announced until late on the last day. However, journalists and writers everywhere are faced with this problem and have learned to work around it by handicapping the entrants beforehand. Everyone knows who the top 5-7 favorites are and so they spend some time with each one filling in a backstory during the event. Ever notice when the olympic swimmer wins the gold suddenly the network has a 3 minute clip about the guy in his home town riding his motorcycle to class or whatever. In the unlikely event the overall winner wasn't on the handicap list he's probably so jazzed about winning he's happy to stick around another hour to take pictures for MA. It's not a big deal. I think they just don't know to do it (or care).
They have a fairly large team to assist in doing this. Personally, I have to do it around Judging chores. It is a lot of fun, but things fall through the cracks. I manage to get some good photos though, and usually the pertinent information to go with it. If you are interested in some of the things that you mentioned, you might like RC Report Magazine.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-13-2008, 08:33 PM
combatpigg

How about completely honest product reviews from "the man on the street"? Would anyone be opposed to seeing that in MA?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:04 PM
CrateCruncher

I'd love to see that Combat. We are, after all, the folks actually using these products and we didn't get a special one for free! In that vein, I'd like to see engine comparisons on a real dynamometer with torque and power curves. The manufacturers publish a data point like 2.5hp @ 16,000rpm. That is useless to us.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Stickbuilder

I'd love to see that Combat. We are, after all, the folks actually using these products and we didn't get a special one for free! In that vein, I'd like to see engine comparisons on a real dynamometer with torque and power curves. The manufacturers publish a data point like 2.5hp @ 16,000rpm. That is useless to us.
RC Report does not post horsepower numbers. They will tell you what size prop, and what brand of prop the engine turns and at what RPM, both idle and full throttle. They do use a corrected weather factor too.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-16-2008, 07:52 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nothing pains me more than some styrofoam rtf park flyer being reviewed by someone who's been in the hobby 50 yrs. you know it's killing them. unfortunately there are probably more of those zipping around as we speak than handmade planes.

david
Old 11-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: dhal22

nothing pains me more than some styrofoam rtf park flyer being reviewed by someone who's been in the hobby 50 yrs. you know it's killing them. unfortunately there are probably more of those zipping around as we speak than handmade planes.

david
Actually, there are more old builders who have become turncoats and are flying RTF and ARF models than you would imagine. Just some of us won't do it. Those that have crossed over seem to enjoy it. Of course, most of them couldn't build worth spit anyway.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-17-2008, 11:26 AM
rack
My Feedback: (11)

id like to see them focus more on airplanes that have to be built from kits or scratch built,you can walk into any hobby store and see arfs.
there's still a lot of people building airplanes especially the super giants,you never see any thing on how these airplanes get set up or the time and money that is spent on them not everyone can afford them but everyone is fascinated into what goes into building one of these monster planes . we have an experimental program ,why not help define it and promote its use
there's nothing worse than arfs in the pilot projects, they may as well advertise exclusively for great planes.
they also nead to get rid of all the black and white photos and use color only thanks vern coop ama 671070
Old 11-17-2008, 01:06 PM
KidEpoxy

AMA just started a second magazine for the parkflyers (only?).
Seems if that is what guys want to see in their AMA mag, they might want to get that mag instead of MA that has overall aeromodeling.... which of course would lead to less of that advertizing/feature FOCUS in MA and more of all the non-pf stuff.

Perhaps AMA should have 3 magazines/publishings: Parkies, General, and Builders.
You get the magazine that interests you, and the advertizing/articals could more demographic accurate.
Of course, there is no reason not to CopyPaste features from one to the other, a KitReview could be general as well as Builders.. and even Parkie if it that kind of plane, put in all 3 mags the same month.

The old idea that One Magazine Fits All kinda is knocked over
with the new Parkies Get Their Own Mag concept.
What group is next for the special treatment?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

KidEpoxyWhat group is next for the special treatment? [

Zepplins? Indoor free flight? The back page will fold in to a flying model.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.