Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Congratulations to Mr. Mark Smith the AMA EVP Elect.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Congratulations to Mr. Mark Smith the AMA EVP Elect.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Congratulations to Mr. Mark Smith the AMA EVP Elect.

Congratulations to Mr. Mark Smith. I wish him well and success in his endeavors. Hopefully he will bring credit and good things to the Academy of Model Aeronautics along with the members thereof. Even more so, I hope his directions are all for the good of each and every discipline in the aeromodeling world.

Again, congratulations and best wishes to Mr. Smith and all aeromodeling interests.

edited to correct a missing upper case letter.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Muroc1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Congratulations to Mr. mark Smith the AMA EVP Elect.

Has all the absentee ballots been counted already?

Frank
Old 11-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Congratulations to Mr. Mark Smith. I wish him well and success in his endeavors. Hopefully he will bring credit and good things to the Academy of Model Aeronautics along with the members thereof. Even more so, I hope his directions are all for the good of each and every discipline in the aeromodeling world.

Again, congratulations and best wishes to Mr. Smith and all aeromodeling interests.
Ditto that HC.

Very gentlemanly and gracious of you to wish him well.

Though it might not mean much to you, I'm very impressed.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:20 PM
Muroc1

Was it close? According to our local exit polls, it was extremely close.

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7776857/tm.htm[/link]

Frank
Old 11-24-2008, 07:51 PM
Muroc1

Never mind, I found it over here:

[link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=958283[/link]

It also states it has been posted on the AMA site.

Frank
Old 11-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Echoing Robo's comments.......those are very gracious words.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:12 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, I'm pissed. I think Hoss has plans that the AMA could use to improve their financial position. I didn't hear one peep from the other side concerning anything realistic or clever to improve the business plan.

Hoss, is there any point [now] in submitting your plans to the AMA anyway?

This is too bad, I was looking forward to the ring side seat Hoss promised us so that we could see the plans take shape. Having him as a regular here would have given us a rare opportunity to have an "insider's view" of what's going on.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Muroc1

I guess Hoss can submit his ideas to Mark, but not sure he'll accept them.

Frank
Old 11-24-2008, 09:47 PM
TxDiveBomber

Results from AMA website.

2008 Executive Vice President and District Vice President Election Results

AMA Executive Vice President
Horrace Cain 5,709
Mark Smith 10,106
Other 932

District II Vice President
Gary Fitch 1,121
Jon Gerber 542
Other 38

District III Vice President
Bob Brown 1,131
Gary Slusser 305
Joe Vislay 503
Other 59

District VII Vice President
Bill Oberdieck 1,477
Other 165

District XI Vice President
Bruce Nelson 1,040
Other 87

Old 11-24-2008, 09:49 PM
jimsyak54

you're pissed? about what? this isn't international politics or a renegotiated trade agreement. maybe less time on the keyboard and more time reading the newspaper can bring things into perspective.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:21 PM
combatpigg

Thanks for the advice, I'm just now finishing up my 4th original design / scratch build this year. I've also worked 1800 hours so far this year, cleared by hand 1.5 acres and hand split over 8 cords of wood. Also celebrating the one year anniversary of my 3rd angioplasty....
...and of course spent too much time at the keyboard, but it is my time.

So, how're you doin', boss?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:30 AM
KidEpoxy

Oh, he won.
I'll make note of that.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:10 AM
r2champion

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Thanks for the advice, I'm just now finishing up my 4th original design / scratch build this year. I've also worked 1800 hours so far this year, cleared by hand 1.5 acres and hand split over 8 cords of wood. Also celebrating the one year anniversary of my 3rd angioplasty....

So what did you do on your free time?
Old 11-25-2008, 04:46 AM
Blue_Sky

No offense to Hoss, but when I saw the two campaign statements in MA I knew Mark Smith would win. Take note Hoss if you run again you must clearly state prior experience, particularly AMA experience. Words are great, but in a campaign statement they don’t carry much weight.

I think you were the better candidate Hoss, and on the bright side you got over 5,000 votes which shows a significant number of people DO read words, but again note the first paragraph.

And it goes without saying there was a contingent of people getting the word out, exactly like a negative prayer chain, to vote against Hoss. I don’t think this was a factor, nor do I think anything in this forum was a factor. It was all about the campaign statements in MA. Virtually all the AMA guys I know read MA religiously and could care less about anything related to a computer – other than knowing how to program their radios of course...

All the best to Mark Smith. He’ll no doubt serve Dave Mathewson well, and be a credit to Dave’s AMA legacy. Go Dave! I really do think Mathewson is the right man for the job, I just wonder if he'll be able to accomplish what he wants to accomplish.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:29 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Blue_Sky

No offense to Hoss, but when I saw the two campaign statements in MA I knew Mark Smith would win. Take note Hoss if you run again you must clearly state prior experience, particularly AMA experience. Words are great, but in a campaign statement they don’t carry much weight.

I think you were the better candidate Hoss, and on the bright side you got over 5,000 votes which shows a significant number of people DO read words, but again note the first paragraph.

And it goes without saying there was a contingent of people getting the word out, exactly like a negative prayer chain, to vote against Hoss. I don’t think this was a factor, nor do I think anything in this forum was a factor. It was all about the campaign statements in MA. Virtually all the AMA guys I know read MA religiously and could care less about anything related to a computer – other than knowing how to program their radios of course...

All the best to Mark Smith. He’ll no doubt serve Dave Mathewson well, and be a credit to Dave’s AMA legacy. Go Dave! I really do think Mathewson is the right man for the job, I just wonder if he'll be able to accomplish what he wants to accomplish.
I don't think that this site did it either. Look at the competitors site, and at the ProBro forum. The sparky and slab boys jpined forces. There are just too many of them not to matter. It's hard to beat the favorite son as well.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-25-2008, 06:37 AM
Blue_Sky

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Blue_Sky

I don't think that this site did it either. Look at the competitors site, and at the ProBro forum. The sparky and slab boys jpined forces. There are just too many of them not to matter. It's hard to beat the favorite son as well.

Bill, AMA 4720
I've read the competitors site and I've enjoyed reading the ProBro forum before the election - it seems they have a good handle on what's going on, but don't know how they stacked up in this race. If "Sparky" is a certain primary color I'd have to agree.

The most important thing is life goes on, and you Bill and a handful of others are worth listening to.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:13 AM
Blue_Sky

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

CP, I have to comment on this post. 85-90% blocked in what the doctors say will only give me a "small" heart attack - LOL! Hopefully you won't have to save me a spot in ICU because we won't be there, but for goodness sakes keep taking those statins! The physical work will keep you alive, I've seen it with my own eyes up close with someone else.

Edited to add: I'm 57, my last fistfight was at 52 protecting my ex from a stalker, so not feeble yet and looking for sympathy, just giving someone OT support because we'll all be there - and maybe we should think about this stuff rather than recreational arguing. Or maybe not.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:07 AM
combatpigg

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Look at the competitors site, and at the ProBro forum.

Bill, AMA 4720

When the official word is decreed on how to vote at the ProBro site, it reminds me somewhat of that mess they had at Jonestown.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Oh, he won.
I'll make note of that.
You indicated in another thread that if MS won you would congratulate him. Was that it? Surely you can do better. Maybe mail him a certificate for some Starbucks and Krispy Kremes.

So we have roughly a 2:1 margin. Isn't that a mandate for the PPP and the current direction of the AMA?
Old 11-25-2008, 01:15 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Robotech

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Oh, he won.
I'll make note of that.
You indicated in another thread that if MS won you would congratulate him. Was that it? Surely you can do better. Maybe mail him a certificate for some Starbucks and Krispy Kremes.

So we have roughly a 2:1 margin. Isn't that a mandate for the PPP and the current direction of the AMA?
Not when you consider that the ProBro voted in lockstep for Smith, and the full membership sparky flyers as well. It's not a mandate for the PPP by any stretch of your imagination. The PPP still needs to stand or fail on it's own merits, or lack thereof. I'd say that within 18 months, the AMA will shoot it in the head. By then most everyone will have forgotten who was the Father of that abomination. Aren't you proud of yourself?

Thankfully, I never made such a promise in the event that Smith won. I still think that he weaseled out of answering the questions that were asked of him in his thread. I know that I never received a clear answer to any that I asked of him. I expect no different treatment now that he has been voted into office.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-25-2008, 01:32 PM
KidEpoxy

Robo
You indicated in another thread that if MS won you would congratulate him.
Really? Drop a link to where I used the term Congratulate so I can see what you are talking about.

Original posted by KE:
Bob
I think you are wanting something like what happened when DM won
Congrads to Dave Mathewson <ed: NotLink>
A nice little thread for Dave from the friendly posters at RCU AMA forum.

That shows how well the vocal DM supporters acted
as well as how the vocal Hoss supporters acted.

oh, and a follow up thread later telling Dave: Good Job
Dave Mathewson <ed: NotLink>
Looks a lot like I was talking about past elections
without comitting myself to any course of action this election.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:37 PM
Stickbuilder

Be careful what you say. Red Scholefield and Jim Graham (aka Billy Hell) have been lurking in here today. In fact Red is still here.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Blendzall

Get real. Just how much influence do you think the ProBros have on a national AMA election? Or maybe it's because they fly 3D and Mr. Cain isn't the best advocate for 3D flying around, while Mr. Smith actualy owns and flys a profile (I think I heard that Mr. Cain obtained a 3D plane a while back, to be fair). Seems to me that anybody who flys 3D and has read Mr. Cain's views on the subject would vote for Mr. Smith without having to be commanded to. Same thing with the electric flyers. After reading Mr. Cain's views towards electrics, which he admits he doesn't understand, I'd be hard pressed to vote for him as an advocate of electric flight.

Mr. Cain lost the election by some 5000 votes, I'd be amazed if the ProBros accounted for even 1/10th that amount. Shoot, 1/20th would be an accomplishment.

Sometimes it easier to grasp at conspiracies than admit that Mr. Cain carried an enormous load of negative baggage into this election, and that 3D and electrics are growing extremely rapidly...the two areas where Mr. Cain had little support.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Stickbuilder

Did Jim get you to post that in the short time he was missing from this thread? I mean, with 18 whole posts, you figured that one out all by yourself?

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Blendzall

Say what? You're the one who was postulating that Mr. Cain lost the election due to influence of the ProBros. I said that I don't feel they have that kind of influence. If by "Jim" you mean Mr. Graham, it seems like he would want to glorify the ProBro vote factor if they were indeed voting "lockstep", not try to plant somebody with 18 posts in this forum to downplay the significance.

I vote and post of my own accord.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.