Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Muncie

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Live Wire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muncie

If AMA folded what would happen to Muncie and where would it go. Clubs are dropping charters and member not rejoining, Looks Like a World of Out Law's. Yes it is happenng will your home owner's be anough if some one trips and falls. I hope so make sure you CRASH on club sight, Don't forget over fly property, do you have permission or are you just keeping your fingers CROSSED.
Go for it people What can and Will HAPPEN
Old 01-06-2009, 10:14 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Muncie

I've always enjoyed reading your posts. I've never understood them, but I certainly do enjoy them!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Live Wire

MikeL
There is a lot of money rapped up in Muncie Where will it go and to who. If you do not see a decline in AMA then Put On Your Glasses. Our club voted to drop AMA charter and go OUT LAW.
Yes every one had some thing to say about the RC OUTLAW, now who is getting the last LAUGH

Just contact BB he will set you (ShIsh) Just like a old mod Can't read any thing and get it right[&o]
Old 01-06-2009, 11:42 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If the membership shrunk down to the SIG level [of just a few thousand] the AMA could still exist at some level. There will always be some form of organized model aviation.
No amount of procelytizing will change anything, the future of the sport is in the minds and imaginations of future generations. As time goes by, the uniqueness and novelty of the sport has faded somewhat. Bigger and better ways to spend our free time keep popping up, model aviation will continue to get pushed further and further back into the shadows, but I could not care less. This is a great time to be in the sport.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:49 PM
gsoav8r
My Feedback: (6)

Larry,
Why did they go outlaw?
Had any of those guys looked at what it cost to get an umbrella policy for a cool million or so added to their homeowners policy?

Cheers,
James
Old 01-06-2009, 11:53 PM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

If the membership shrinks so low as to liquidate the AMA, the property and all assets will be sold and the proceeds will be distributed to the remaining members. And we will send a Thank You note to those of you who left!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:53 PM
Live Wire

pigg
I have read a lot of your posts, and I think you no where I am comeing from. Been a member of AMA a lot of years and still wonder what the big wiggs in muncie in the NEW world and all the CHANGE are going to do with the dividends if they have to get out.
Yes I have been against Muncie from day one just a waist of money

Yes this old man has an attitude PROBLEM
Old 01-06-2009, 11:57 PM
Live Wire

Sound's like Black mail to me. Good way to keep members.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:13 AM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: gsoav8r

Larry,
Why did they go outlaw?
Had any of those guys looked at what it cost to get an umbrella policy for a cool million or so added to their homeowners policy?

Cheers,
James
I did, though I'm not a member of Larry's outlaw club. The cost for renewing $ 1 million limit PUP coverage on top of HO on my primary residence (minimum of $100 K limit on primary insurance required) was $66 for the year beginning 01/26/09. A little more than paying for AMA, but it is comprehensive, and covers much greater risks to my fiscal well being than flying a model airplane presents. As for exclusions while I am engaged in model airplane flying, I am not covered while flying a model airplane carrying human passengers (period, end of exclusions). I can abide by that, making do with hamsters for passengers.

Abel
Old 01-07-2009, 01:25 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: LSF2298

If the membership shrinks so low as to liquidate the AMA, the property and all assets will be sold and the proceeds will be distributed to the remaining members. And we will send a Thank You note to those of you who left!
Dream ON! While I love the idea it's like some past models of mine, it will not fly. Under the Internal Revenue Code (IRC) any organization under IRC 501 (c), Charitable Organizations closing the doors cannot distribute any excess funds and/or assets to anyone other than another 501 (c) unit. AMA is an IRC 501 (c) (3) unit, which is about the top of the heap since donations to those organizations are deductable from gross income for federal income tax purposes.

May I respectfully suggest that any person expecting to be an AMA "...remaining member..." not incur any significant debt if AMA assets are the expected coverage for such debt.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:02 AM
Mode One

A magazine, insurance, a national, with regional organizations helping with and protecting your activity, organized competition to enter, etc., etc., etc... All for $58.00, seems like a "Tempest in a Tea Cup" to me and a bit like shooting yourself in your own foot! But, hey, this is America and you have a right to independant thinking! Good luck!

Is there a massive exodus? Maybe, if we all are so short sighted.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:38 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

man...there is just something not right in the water out in Sterling....

they might want to check the feed lot!
Old 01-07-2009, 09:42 AM
DelRay

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhh, I guess I don't understand the "blackmail" part. Can I call the insurance company that is supplying my auto insurance ( which is required by law) , blackmailers? And the law enforcement that enforces such blackmailers, blackmailers? Wow, where is this crazy world headed? I kinda felt something was wrong,and all along I'm being blackmailed.[X(]
Old 01-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

man...there is just something not right in the water out in Sterling....

they might want to check the feed lot!
You are right about the water can't even drink the stuff. You must have lived here at one time
Old 01-07-2009, 10:21 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, let's cut out the personal comments and insults. If not I'll close down the thread.

Ken
Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 AM
gsoav8r

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger

Larry,
Why did they go outlaw?

Cheers,
James
I did, though I'm not a member of Larry's outlaw club. The cost for renewing $ 1 million limit PUP coverage on top of HO on my primary residence (minimum of $100 K limit on primary insurance required) was $66 for the year beginning 01/26/09. A little more than paying for AMA, but it is comprehensive, and covers much greater risks to my fiscal well being than flying a model airplane presents. As for exclusions while I am engaged in model airplane flying, I am not covered while flying a model airplane carrying human passengers (period, end of exclusions). I can abide by that, making do with hamsters for passengers.

Abel
So how many hammies have you lost? Id guess you have a high fatality rate due to heart attacks?

Its occured to me that those OutLaw guys must be so far out in BFE that theres practically no liability issues for them.

As for me, at the two clubs where I fly most, theres homes and businesses that necessitate the need for some form of insurance. A PUP to help cover my *****ets would cost me about triple what AMA membership cost me. So given that, AMA does what I need it to.
Plus I generally like what AMA does. Funny though, I hate purple kool-aid [:'(]

Cheers.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 AM
gsoav8r

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

MikeL
There is a lot of money rapped up in Muncie Where will it go and to who. If you do not see a decline in AMA then Put On Your Glasses. Our club voted to drop AMA charter and go OUT LAW.
Yes every one had some thing to say about the RC OUTLAW, now who is getting the last LAUGH

Just contact BB he will set you (ShIsh) Just like a old mod Can't read any thing and get it right[&o]
Curious whos carrying the liablity for the site owner now? The AMA charter covers the site and its owner, right?
Are you guys going to notify vistors or have them sign a waiver stating that they are there at their own risk?

Since the club dropped the charter I had assumed most everyone in the club was dropping their personal AMA membership too.
At least thats the way youve layed it out.

Interesting how much monotary risk so many will assume over $58 and a charter fee.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:39 AM
LSF2298
My Feedback: (4)

Darn Hoss, you burst my bubble! That was my kids inheritance since my 401K is gone!
Old 01-07-2009, 12:47 PM
gsoav8r

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

MikeL

Curious whos carrying the liablity for the site owner now? The AMA charter covers the site and its owner, right?
Are you guys going to notify vistors or have them sign a waiver stating that they are there at their own risk?

Since the club dropped the charter I had assumed most everyone in the club was dropping their personal AMA membership too.
At least thats the way youve layed it out.

Interesting how much monotary risk so many will assume over $58 and a charter fee.
Another question,
How many OutLaw club members have NO homeowners insurance? An example would be that they rent their dwelling and have a renters policy that only covers the contents in said dwelling. Or maybe they dont even have renters insurance because their so thrifty.
This would mean that the person has no insurance at all for conducting model RC airplane activities.
Im sure my statement may vary state to state but I know this to be possible in NC.

With that said I hope you guys never have an issue where an uninsured person harms an insured person. The insured persons insurance company might try to recover some of their losses by suing the uninsured modeler. Of course that assumes that the uninsured person has assets or wages to garner.

Cheers.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:23 PM
Live Wire

Ken
Get rid of it, Delete it.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:26 PM
KidEpoxy

OMG!
Someone might do actvities without home owner / PUP insurance?
Like hunting/MtBiking/ParkFrisbee/bbq ?

This would mean that the person has no insurance at all for conducting model RC airplane activities.
Im sure my statement may vary state to state but I know this to be possible in NC.

With that said I hope you guys never have an issue where an uninsured person harms an insured person. The insured persons insurance company might try to recover some of their losses by suing the uninsured modeler. Of course that assumes that the uninsured person has assets or wages to garner.

Year after year we see millions of dollars of Califonia burn down,
yet somehow I dont have folks telling me I need $58 Camping Insurance.

Good thing there is a muncie Insurance Company
that has folks here making insurance imparitive to RC modeling
(but only AMA brand insurance)

If the thread is about AMA shutting down (???)
why arent folks asking if MA will split and continue on as a standalone publisher.
Or what happens to all the competition rules.
Or if folks can start using Metal Props on their FVP 101 lb 260mph models insured by The Hartford?
Or if Cox049 will be Flyers in Parks again.

Nope.
Insurance Insurance Insurance
Which makes AMA a what company?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:18 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

If the membership shrunk down to the SIG level [of just a few thousand] the AMA could still exist at some level. There will always be some form of organized model aviation.
No amount of procelytizing will change anything, the future of the sport is in the minds and imaginations of future generations. As time goes by, the uniqueness and novelty of the sport has faded somewhat. Bigger and better ways to spend our free time keep popping up, model aviation will continue to get pushed further and further back into the shadows, but I could not care less. This is a great time to be in the sport.
Good message, Chuck.

I think that you are right on target that the novelty of model flight isn't what it used to be. Heck, when I was in my teens most every manned space launch was a HUGE deal with live coverage and much of the country watching or listening. Now a shuttle launch is a ho-hum no big deal. Same kind of thing.

Being new, I can't really say that this is the BEST time to be involved, but based on what I've read and the obvious improvements in technology that are available (2.4 GHz, computer transmitters, new and better (or at least different) glues, coverings, etc., reliable and easily maintained engines, reliable electric power, etc, etc, etc, I've got to think that if it's not the best time it's pretty darned good. As a relative newcomer, it seems to me that the breadh of options available to those that want to get their feet wet and decide if this is something for them is just tremendous. A newcomer can get into the air with a "real" 4 channel aircraft for an amount of money that won't make most spouses choke on their dinner, and with a minimal amount of effort find a group of folks (and a location) to help them begin successfully. Equopment is reliable, relatively cheap and available in so many differrent combinations and forms that it's almost mindboggling for a newbie.

What's NOT to like?

For me, I guess the "best" time would have been about 30 years ago.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:32 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

<snip>

Good thing there is a muncie Insurance Company
that has folks here making insurance imparitive to RC modeling
(but only AMA brand insurance)
Yep, it is a good thing for some people. If the only significant liability risk one faces is his model airplane activity, and if he is well informed about the multiplicity of exclusions in the coverage and can be certain of avoiding them, and if he keeps abreast of all the conditions imposed by the AMA rules (and local club rules, which are incorporated in the AMA SC by reference) and can assure unerring compliance with them, then AMA insurance is a bargain. It will cost about 10% less than what I pay for a PUP from a provider that has a company spokeslizard.
Such a good thing surely ought to sell itself. I wonder why they feel they have to mandate it?????????

Abel
Old 01-07-2009, 06:08 PM
gsoav8r

Alright, lets try it this way.

Cool, an OutLaw field!!! So what kind of deal did you strike with the land owner? Is he just a cool laid back kinda guy? My guess is that hes a RC modeler too? Tired of getting nothing for their money, right?

The magazines kinda nice but I dont know thou, 58 a year for a mag thats propped up by AMA dues money cause its losing money.

I wish people were not so hung up on liability these days so I didnt have to have AMA. Darn government and lawyers monkeying up everything. One field I fly at is city owned and the other is county owned. Dont know why I need AMA to fly there. My taxes help pay for that property afterall. Its like getting double taxed.

Seriously, Id like to know so I can get out from under the AMA banner.

Cheers.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Live Wire

Just for kicks
The field was sold last year to a LADY she said AMA insurance was not needed. So you can fill in the blanks.
Wanting to get more members they say we can get more people to fly if AMA is not required.
well you figure it out. (members)
I can't even take my own advice and stay off these forums[:@]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.