Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Don't miss AMA EDs's view from HQ in Feb 09 Model Aviation

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Don't miss AMA EDs's view from HQ in Feb 09 Model Aviation

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't miss AMA EDs's view from HQ in Feb 09 Model Aviation

Before you throw your latest copy of MA (Feb 09) in the trash give Jim Cherry's "View from HQ" a read (page 184) He relates what one District VP is doing to promote flying sites. Passing on building skills to the next generation is a perplexing question he addresses in the same column. He is looking for answers. I wish I had some.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:24 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Don't miss AMA EDs's view from HQ in Feb 09 Model Aviation

Deleted duplicate post.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:43 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps the answers are right before our eyes. As it is written, "None is so blind as he that will not see." In that same Feb. issue, take a look at pages 165 thru 168. Read what those young men have accomplished. All have accomplished many thing plus built some models. A 15 year old that had his own business of video tutorials and computer stuff, plus he has done stick and tissue to sailplanes. One youngster started gliders at age 9 and has already completed a Jack Stafford kit twin Commanchee. WOW!
Jack stafford kits were really KITS!!!. BTDT.
Eight young men that all are very far advanced in the world. All have a model-BUILDING record. [sm=regular_smile.gif]

Personally, I don't think I will worry about it. Go read Flying Models magazine. OTOH just thumb through MA itself. Certainly ARFs dominate and always will. Yet there are eons of folks out there that can and do BUILD beautiful models. I've been BUILDING since I was 6 years old (67 years ago), and the stuff I build today is basic, mundane and looks like crap compared to what I see others doing.

Look at that magazine page 10, 18-24, 33-37,54-56, 82-83, kits and a youngster with an original design, Joe wagner's "Engine Shop", pg. 119 Balsa USA Kits and their newbie pictured on previous page 117, more and more "building, Check those FFs on 145-150. These guys BUILD very scientifically. BTW look through the DVP reports. Not all ARFs out there! Then read through the beginner forum here at RCU. Lots of guys seeking help and lots of guys giving help.

So you want to show someone a real kit? Try Easy-Built models, www.easybuiltmodels.com. Great kits and they are KITS. Stick and tissue plus some electric. There are a number of 50" wingspan warbirds. Very light rubber to being modified for glow. I know BTDT.

There is much modeling going on these days. It just doesn't center around AMA, you know that big publishing company up there in Indiana somewhere.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:46 AM
KidEpoxy

Red Said
Before you throw your latest copy of MA (Feb 09) in the trash give Jim Cherry's "View from HQ" a read (page 184) He relates what one District VP is doing to promote flying sites.
Is that info going into the PPP magazine as well,
or are the PPP being kept in the dark about it?
Wait, does PPP have their own ED to get info from, or just the leftovers and internet hearsay from when the Opens are told stuff?

Can we get a link to that article
so the other guys that send checks to indiana
can hear what the ED Of The Opens has to say
..... or is it a secret kept from the PPP?
<hmmm, if it was, would anyone tell me that they cant tell me >
Old 01-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Jim Thomerson

Hey, Kid Epoxy, that's above your pay for grade.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:20 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Red Said
Before you throw your latest copy of MA (Feb 09) in the trash give Jim Cherry's "View from HQ" a read (page 184) He relates what one District VP is doing to promote flying sites.
//snip//

Can we get a link to that article
so the other guys that send checks to indiana
can hear what the ED Of The Opens has to say
..... or is it a secret kept from the PPP?
<hmmm, if it was, would anyone tell me that they cant tell me >
Actually, KE, Yes you can. http://www.modelaircraft.org/mag/Feb09/execdirector.htm

Go to the AMA website, click on "Model Aviation" and follow the trail to get to whatever you wish to read that is posted.
Hey Man, I thought you went full scale AMA this year. Guess I am not in the know! So, what's different, eh?

The AMA web site usually has those articles available. Sometimes the mag. beats the web. Sometinmes the web beats the mag. You know the saying, "Win a few, lose a few, and some get rained out." It's all just the trail to the grave yard so what does it really matter?
Old 01-28-2009, 10:20 AM
KidEpoxy

Hoss,
Thanx for posting the link.
If the ED had stuff to say to the members of AMA,
and they have a PPP magazine to say things to the membership,
too bad the ED's info cant make it in... but then, we gotta save room for some more ads after all.

Folks say MA cant be optional becasue it has to provide info to the AMA members,
well, why aint the PPP mag providing the same info to PF tier AMA members?
Are PPP not worthy of being called AMA members and getting AMA member info
or is the PPP magazine not there to actuatlly do that job
and therefore is fair game for the Optional chopping block?

There is probably a good reason the PPP mag cant get the same HQ info to the members that MA can... and I would love to hear what that reason is.