Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Your club's FUN FLYS, What's a money maker?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Your club's FUN FLYS, What's a money maker?

Old 02-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your club's FUN FLYS, What's a money maker?

On my other thread about whether FUN FLY Fees are charged for participation, many posters wanted to talk about how their clubs have various methods of making money for the club when they host there FUN FLY. As one of my club's CDs, I naturally am interested in what other clubs have done to make there FUN FLYS successful.

My club has hosted a succesful Fun Fly for 9 years. Every year we come up with new ideas to attract more R/Cers, make the Fun Fly Fun and as side, make some money.

We charge a $15.00 fee, of the $15.00, $5.00 pays for one person's dinner on Saturday night. Extra meal tickest are $5.00 each, children to X age, eat free.

Everytime a flyer makes a flight, he collects a ticket when he returns his TX to the impound. These tickets have matching stubs and are used for a drawings at the end of the day. Stubs are pulled and the matching ticket wins a prize, anything from a bottle of glue to electric starters and up, can be won. There are two days of these types of drawings at the end of each day. Generally most every participant wins something.

We provide free primiatve camping (no hook ups) right near the Flying Field.

We have a cook shack and sell pop, burgers, brats, hot dogs, chips and the wives provide plates of bars, cookies and such. Prices for food are cheap.

There is a big drawing on Saturday, the public and flyers can buy tickets for 3-4 Airplanes, a couple Engines a radio and maybe some other big ticket items are raffled off.

My club is big into Combat, flying airplanes made from Wiffle bats, foam wings and coroplast tail surfaces. Sometimes, if conditions are right we have a round or two of combat flying. The public crowd loves this, if we hear complaints from the flyers we stop it, as it is the flyers the FUN FLY is for!

There are campfires, night flying and other activities during the evenings and can go long into the night.

We really have no orginaized egg drop, timed flights or any of these types of activities as we've found people just want to fly and talk and enjoy themselves. If people were to ask us to do some of these things we would do them. However, we've had no complaints!

In a nutshell, this was how last year's Fun Fly was conducted. The dates are always a Saturday and Sunday in late August. People have started coming on Fridays and may even come earlier next year. The dates are August 29th and 30th, 2009.

Mark
Old 02-06-2009, 12:20 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: Your club's FUN FLYS, What's a money maker?

Sounds like you guys have it figured out. Wish I lived closer...I think it would be a blast.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:03 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It does sound as if you have it all figured out. Don't mess with what works. As another idea, our club plays poker along with the fun fly. All Pilots put $5.00 in the pot. For every flight made during the contest, you get a playing card. If you win the event, you get another card. At the end of the contest the best hand wins half the pot. Depending on how many pilots, you may need a couple of decks of cards and also the amount of pilots also depends on how much goes to the club. Most pilots will pony up the money if they have a chance to win some money. It's a lot of fun. Good Luck, Dave
Old 02-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Mode One

Thanks Littlecrankshaf and Dave, we do work hard at it and an open invite to any and all is extended. For you two the event might be somewhat disapointing in proportion to the dive time. However, generally in August, the snow is all gone and not expected to return for at least a few weeks here in Northern Minnesota. So, it is the right time to visit the Land of Sky Blue Waters!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:54 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fun flys are always a good time. Our club has them about once a month. I always enjoy them. Good Luck once again, Dave
Old 02-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Here is the mother of all fun fly events to make a little money.

The FIVE IN ONE mother of all fun-fly events: Courtesy of Tom Rhodes -
Tri-county R/C - Inverness FL

Only one flight is required.

Needed
A number of small parachutes with suitable weight attached. Parachute can
be a simple square of Kleenex, thread taped to corners and to washer as a
weight.

Styrofoam cups with means for attaching to plane (standard at all bomb
drop events).

Lots of timers and counters.

Mission:

Climb as high as you wish, kill engine, drop parachute / loops, precision