Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

restarting a club

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

restarting a club

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:05 PM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default restarting a club

guys i need some help, wherei live we have a fantastic paved flying field problem is we have no club anymore. at one time we had a nice club but many members moved and a few passed awayand the club kinda went away. we still have several people in the area that fly my question is how do i go about getting everone organized or at least interested in a club again?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:18 PM
ggraham500
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: restarting a club

Five (5) AMA members to start a charter. I think you will find what you need here:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/members.../clubdocs.aspx
Old 02-23-2009, 07:36 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Was it ever an AMA chartered club? It it was you should be able to get it going again relatively easily. If it wasn't getting a charter is not all that difficult if you follow the link above.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:46 PM
mistermnkim
My Feedback: (153)

yes it was an AMA club, thanks for the link!!
Old 03-25-2009, 06:53 AM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

Yay! The more Clubs the better! Hope all goes well for you... best of luck.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:42 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: mistermnkim

guys i need some help, wherei live we have a fantastic paved flying field problem is we have no club anymore. at one time we had a nice club but many members moved and a few passed awayand the club kinda went away. we still have several people in the area that fly my question is how do i go about getting everone organized or at least interested in a club again?

Maybe try a non-AMA club.

Less politics and therfore possibly more fun. It doesn't even need to be an AMA chartered club to host various sactioned events at the site if that is something your club might desire. Otherewise you can have fly-ins and invite anyone...AMA or not.

We have a great non-AMA club here that has an absolutly awesome place to fly. Even though their dues or quite a bit higher than most clubs, people are glad to be a part of a fun no BS club.

AMA is certainly not the only way to enjoy this great hobby...

BTW I like going MS to fly with some really cool people in Merigold. A great place and great people...hope it always stays that way.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Robotech

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Less politics and therfore possibly more fun. It doesn't even need to be an AMA chartered club to host various sactioned events at the site if that is something your club might desire. Otherewise you can have fly-ins and invite anyone...AMA or not. ........snip
Slight clarification/correction there. Maybe you meant non-club? The politics are a result of an organized club structure, not the AMA. They could also invite anyone, AMA or not, to their fly-ins if they are an AMA club also. The non-AMA members would not be covered (insurance wise) the same either way.

misermnkim: Speaking of fly-ins ....... our club in Pine Bluff would be happy to attend your fly-ins as well as the club in Monticello. We both hold events each spring and you are certainly welcome to attend.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:15 PM
littlecrankshaf

NO...I meant non-AMA club.

AMA is where 99% of hobby politics come from. This forum is a perfect example. Not much about promoting the hobby....much about promoting AMA. So much so, it is hard to discuss basic issues about AMA...hard to get past the political flag waivers long enough to even talk about the AMA itself!
Old 04-01-2009, 12:22 PM
Blue_Sky

ORIGINAL: mistermnkim

Less politics and therfore possibly more fun. It doesn't even need to be an AMA chartered club to host various sactioned events at the site if that is something your club might desire. Otherewise you can have fly-ins and invite anyone...AMA or not.

We have a great non-AMA club here that has an absolutly awesome place to fly. Even though their dues or quite a bit higher than most clubs, people are glad to be a part of a fun no BS club.

AMA is certainly not the only way to enjoy this great hobby...

BTW I like going MS to fly with some really cool people in Merigold. A great place and great people...hope it always stays that way.
LCS, does your club fly on public or private land?

Does anyone know of other non-ama clubs flying on private land? I'm researching club business models related to insurance and clubs flying on private land.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Robotech

Well, this is the AMA forum after all. What should it discuss and promote? Lipos and A123s? There are dozens of other forums and sub-forums that deal with the hobby in general.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the AMA-club and the non-AMA club politics. I haven't had first hand experience with a non-AMA club but I can't see how sending $58 to Muncie makes you power hungry or crabby. A club is a club with all the advantages (organization) and disadvantages (organization).
Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Robotech

Well, this is the AMA forum after all.
Yea...but promoting the AMA here is analogous to preaching to the choir... We should, as AMA members, be discussing AMA matters...promoting AMA here is kind of silly.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:31 PM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will have to agree, very little of controversy seen in clubs is really due to the AMA. It is usually some interpersonal issues or a political agenda, neither of which are condoned or required by the AMA.

IMO, The reason you see all of the controversy here is because this forum has become a battle ground betweenst the two sides, both of which have the same objective, just different methods of getting there.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:37 PM
littlecrankshaf

I haven't had first hand experience with a non-AMA club
I have...so that is one up on you. My insight is infinitely greater than your in that regard.

Why you would interject into a conversation about something you have no knowledge of is evidence of an apparent know-it-all personality.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:44 PM
littlecrankshaf

I have seen many times AMA and issues about the misunderstanding AMA has caused much arguing within clubs...None...I'll say again, none of that has happened in the Non-AMA club I belong to now. Just a bunch of happy guys enjoying each other and model aviation to the fullest.

If you have never belonged to a non-AMA club you should try it...otherwise...oh well, go on and on about something you haven't experienced.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:49 PM
DocYates

I have belonged to both, and do to this day. Like I said it is ALWAYS interpersonal problem, just like someone's interpretation of the rules, rather than going straight to the horse's mouth (AMA) and getting the real scoop, that causes problems. I have been a member of an AMA club at some point and time during my last 20 years in which I have been associated with them, and cannot name one instance where something done by the AMA really caused turmoil within the club. It is the members of the club and the people that cause the problems not the AMA.
Is your club that you love so much now made up of the exact members as the previous AMA club? It is doubtful, but if it is, then perhaps you can tell us exactly what AMA issue caused the upset feelings? It might save the rest of us some heartache as well.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Robotech

I have...so that is one up on you. My insight is infinitely greater than your in that regard.

Why you would interject into a conversation about something you have no knowledge of is evidence of an apparent know-it-all personality.
Now don't go a-gettin' pissy.

So your vast experience with your club gives you what? A sample of one? Infinitely greater insight? ..... Surely you jest. For your one example of a non-AMA club with little or no politics, I'll give you ten AMA clubs that operate in the same manner.

The personality of the club officers and members determine the level of politics, not AMA membership. That's human nature. No amount of your limited experience (one) can change that fact.

In regards to "interjecting into a conversation". This is a public forum and I will da*n well post where and when I please. Who elected you to forum editor? Evidence of a Know it all personality? Yea, I think we just saw that in your post.

The OP is trying to re-organize a former AMA club and needs help. Your help consisted of advising against AMA affiliation. Maybe you saw a potential member for the BFC. Who knows your motivation for puposely steering folks away from the AMA.
Call me names. Go on a self engrandizing rant. Have a ball.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:52 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Blue_Sky

Does anyone know of other non-ama clubs flying on private land? I'm researching club business models related to insurance and clubs flying on private land.
Blue_Sky

Sorry, I missed your post.

Presently I belong to two clubs. One has a flying site in a public RC park the city of Tyler has graciously allowed us to reside. The other club I belong to has a flying site on private land.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:57 PM
littlecrankshaf

Now don't go a-gettin' pissy.

Call me names. Go on a self engrandizing rant. Have a ball.
Cool...I haven't called you any names...and yes 1 (one) is infinitly greater than NONE, nada, zero, zilch[X(]

You can have your opinion...even if it is wrong
Old 04-01-2009, 12:58 PM
Blue_Sky

ORIGINAL: DocYates
IMO, The reason you see all of the controversy here is because this forum has become a battle ground betweenst the two sides, both of which have the same objective, just different methods of getting there.
Doc, this is the post of the month. What you wrote is generally true. But not completely.

This battleground has real consequences. A new club may choose not to be AMA based on the aftermath of the Greg Hahn column.

Call it bad feelings, call it PR. Call it whatever you like.

How does one less AMA club sound?

Old 04-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Blue_Sky

ORIGINAL: Blue_Sky

Blue_Sky

Sorry, I missed your post.

Presently I belong to two clubs. One has a flying site in a public RC park the city of Tyler has graciously allowed us to reside. The other club I belong to has a flying site on private land.
LCS, could you share the private land club info here or in PM?

Old 04-01-2009, 01:01 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok guys, a few tempers and some pride need to be checked at the door. Let's calm down and discuss the issue without all the hostilities please.

Ken
Old 04-01-2009, 01:01 PM
littlecrankshaf

Sure...Blue

Just PM me with your questions and I will be glad to answer you.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Robotech

Cool...I haven't called you any names...and yes 1 (one) is infinitly greater than NONE, nada, zero, zilch[X(]

Sic'em Hoss!

I do find it interesting, amusing, telling, that though you and your compadres claim not to be anti-AMA, yet we have here in this one thread not one (infinitely greater than none) but two direct examples of BF members engaged in attempting to steer folks away form joining or affiliating with the AMA.

Hmmm.

Oh, and you have the right to be wrong too.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:11 PM
DocYates

Blue,
I agree, that was a foot in the mouth (GH) if I ever read one, it still has people's hair standing up, and his column was inflammatory enough to make anyone want to rethink their affiliation with the AMA. However, one reason for an AMA club, which is the reason I will promote the OP to consider forming one, is the protection for the landowner and the benefits that will bring. As much as I have found the AMA to be beneficial to RC in the past, they have in essence become nothing more than an insurance provider.
The magazine should probably be optional, with the savings contirbuting to the bottom line, and there should be no continued shift to a tiered membership, as the introduction of the PPP is a foothold, or so I believe.
This is only my personal opinion, and it may not count for much with some who frequent this forum, but many of the "skirmishes" (Which I have taken a New Years Resolution to avoid) here in this forum mean little to the everyday workings of the organization.
BTW I have had the pleasure of meeting individuals from both sides of the fence in this forum personally, and despite my careful observations, I have yet to see a set of horns or three sixes on any of their heads...
Old 04-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Blue_Sky

Sic'em Hoss!

I do find it interesting, amusing, telling, that though you and your compadres claim not to be anti-AMA, yet we have here in this one thread not one (infinitely greater than none) but two direct examples of BF members engaged in attempting to steer folks away form joining or affiliating with the AMA.

Hmmm.

Oh, and you have the right to be wrong too.
Robo, don't get me wrong on this, I think you're a great guy. One of my favorite posters. We don't always agree, but I like your spirit and I like seeing you post.

The thing is, what happens here does have an affect on the real world. It would be great if the people at the AMA stumble on this simple fact.

Edited to add: For clarification Robo, I'm not deliberately attempting to influence the OP on whether or not to go AMA, although you may see it that way.

I'm here selfishly. The information I'm requesting from LCS and anyone who cares to post about non-AMA clubs, is for a new club formed from membership of an existing club.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.