Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Ama bill

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:43 AM
gow589
My Feedback: (1)

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Ama bill

I don't recall getting an AMA bill this year. I think I got a post card telling me what I need to do to renew. I am a long time AMA but a part time flier. It is up to me now to go research how to pay? One by one companies take the easy route. You can't make a phone call to companies without getting an answering machine with 10 numbers to press. It's easier and cheaper. Why is it the consumer has to do more and more work to buy a product.

I buy AMA to support the industry but if they send me a bill and an envelope, if they want me to do their leg work to renew, I guess they don't need me that bad and I certainly don't need them.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:47 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ama bill

In far fewer clicks than it took for you to write your post....

https://www.modelaircraft.org/joinrenew.aspx
Old 02-24-2009, 10:57 AM
gow589

I don't want to pay by Visa. My internet is slow, and I don't like being taken for granted. If thats the way they want to do business, that's their option. Every choice has consequences.

That's ok, I have been working on RPV's which work fine in the field behind my house. I really have lost interest in club activities anyway. I have several large scale aircraft with Brison engines but flying at the field is not what it used to be.

When I started flying, everyone built their airplanes. People came to the field to see "Henry" make the first flight on his "Pica Dullest" which he spent all winter building. People held their breath the first flight and watched all summer as he became better with every aspect of flying as he moved to his next project.

There was pride in what people did. Now days the field is littered with arf toys I wouldn't want my neighbors see me flying. I can't go out and do touch and goes with out 3 people hovering some combat gutter pipe over the runway dropping one in the pits every day.

It just ain't the same hobby. If they can't even send me a bill anymore, well, .......I can do my own thing here at home.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:06 AM
Kemosobie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Complaint for the sake of Complaint. Renewal could not be easier. On-line, 1-800, mail. Sounds like you didn't want to renew.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:11 AM
gow589

Complaint for the sake of feedback. How will people realize the effects of what they do with no feedback? I could write some one but all I get is "well your the only one who doesn't like it". An open forum is different. People say well I don't liek it too, or they say your the only one.

If I am the only one, so be it.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:13 AM
propbuster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny, I never get a BILL from the AMA either, I just renew online, it's really pretty easy even with Slow connection speeds Sounds like with all your issues regarding this, maybe just flying at home would be the easiest thing for you seeing as you're not into the "Club Thing" anymore. Your homeowners should cover your insurance liabilities. Besides, no one's going to hold a gun to your head to renew your membership!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:28 AM
gow589

I had an opinion. I am sorry!
Old 02-24-2009, 11:43 AM
KidEpoxy

I find it odd that all you guys didnt get a Renewal Notice,
or say its alright that someone is telling us he didnt.
The Renewal Notice is basicly prebilling the next year, its the annual $58 bill for AMA.

Unlike the rest of the crowd so far,
I agree that something went amiss or got lost somewhere if you didnt get a renewal notice before last year ended. You should contact the 800# and ask them to resend one.

Of course, as these guys have mentioned,
there are plenty of other methods to renew, including using the application form inside each MA Magazine.

If you didnt get a renewal notice, I wonder if they sent you a Ballot for last years voting?
Call and verify your address info, and I bet they can help get rolling with any method you want.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:11 PM
propbuster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, No ballot either![X(]
Old 02-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: gow589

I don't recall getting an AMA bill this year. I think I got a post card telling me what I need to do to renew. I am a long time AMA but a part time flier. It is up to me now to go research how to pay? One by one companies take the easy route. You can't make a phone call to companies without getting an answering machine with 10 numbers to press. It's easier and cheaper. Why is it the consumer has to do more and more work to buy a product.

I buy AMA to support the industry but if they send me a bill and an envelope, if they want me to do their leg work to renew, I guess they don't need me that bad and I certainly don't need them.
Isn't a "post card telling me what I need to do to renew" essentially a bill? I guess I'm not sure what it is you had to "research how to pay" if they informed you of what you needed to do.

Is the issue here that they didn't include a self addressed return envelope for your check? Other than that, I'm not sure what else they could have done to make it any easier for you.

I renewed on line. To me it's the easiest and cheapest way to transact most any business.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Kemosobie

The issue is he either didn't renew or renewed late.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

We had several members in our club that did not receive renewals. I would have to agree that something went awry in the renewal mailing.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:40 PM
RCPAUL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gow589

Your compaint about the AMA I'll pass on. But, your complaint that the the hobby not being what it used to be - I agree with. There is not the spark, not the craftsmanship, generally not the interest. As a result, I've almost stopped.

RCPAUL
Old 02-24-2009, 07:12 PM
rcmiket

ORIGINAL: RCPAUL

gow589

Your compaint about the AMA I'll pass on. But, your complaint that the the hobby not being what it used to be - I agree with. There is not the spark, not the craftsmanship, generally not the interest. As a result, I've almost stopped.

RCPAUL
I hate to break this to you but nothings the way it used to be. To be honest I feel the sport is alive and well. Selection, pricing and competition have never been better. You can build from kits or plans buy ARF's the choices are endless. I got my renewal as always. Mike
Old 02-24-2009, 08:33 PM
dhal22

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i get an renewal email from AMA and open, it go to the link and renew it. it's pretty easy.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Robotech

We had several members in our club that did not receive renewals. I would have to agree that something went awry in the renewal mailing.
I have heard that, and have no reason to question it. It's a problem. The OP indicated that he got a communication from AMA, though, instructing him how to renew. I'm not sure what he is complaining about.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:34 PM
DarkStarPDX

ORIGINAL: gow589

Found what you needed! You'll want to fill out this form ([link=http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/902.pdf]http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/902.pdf[/link]), include payment, and send it to the address at the top.

Now, I wanted to also let you know that you'll be taking less risk renewing on their website. Mail theft is a growing industry and all they would need is the numbers on the bottom of your check to wipe you out.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Jim Schwagle

I didn't get a bill either. Getting one has been usual in the past. A couple of weeks ago I got an email saying I hadn't renewed. Maybe I'm old fashioned, I did renew online, but I expect a bill.

Edit for clarification
Old 02-26-2009, 12:26 PM
KidEpoxy

Who DID get the renewal form "bill" & stampable envelope this year?
Old 02-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Who DID get the renewal form "bill" & stampable envelope this year?
I did. My form stated that my dues were prepaid life member my new card would be mailed in Oct. and the voting info and envelope were included.

OTOH, do not delay in asking AMA whenever you suspect an error. No one is infallible, humans make simple mistakes, and generally that is what they are, although some can be hurtful.

Two examples: 1.) After I became an AMA life member, the next year there was an election. After a month when all around had received their ballots, and I had NOT, I questioned AMA to see if my name during the changeover had slipped through some system crack. Well, folks, it seems ALL life members had been placed in a special file and NONE had received the ballots. AMA jumped on that and such has not happened again. Just means, check it out, it's YOUR membership!. Vel oil can Mk little mistook now and then. [] OTOH, I wonder how many life members had not voted for how many years???

2.) Not so little and a bit more exciting: (to me anyway. ) When these echeck clearings were first getting going, one of my checking accounts, one not often used, had a clearing for $2500.00 +/- from citibank, who I have NO dealings with whatever. I became, shall we say, INTERESTED? I finally got it back, but it took almost 2 months. That kind of a mistake could cost someone dearly if the accounts were close to margin, and some people wound up socked with return checks marked "Insufficient Funds". The person hurt is the account holder having to answer to all those payees who never believe the proverbial "Bank Error" claims.
It was a mistake but it took more than a simple question to get it straightened out.

So if you have an error with AMA business, take it to the head-shed and clarify it right there. Be sure you get the right answer. [>:]

Old 03-02-2009, 02:01 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

I did, I re-newed On-line like I always do. I'm usually slow re-newing because I don't fly in the winter and I don't need all those magazines building up on me.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: propbuster

Nope, No ballot either![X(]
Call the 800 #.

CR