Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Still a Bottom Feeder.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Still a Bottom Feeder.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Still a Bottom Feeder.

As most of you have seen from my posts over the last few years, I normally toss the newest issue of MA, as soon as it arrives. When the Latest issue came (March 2009), I decided to give it another try. I may have missed something, but I don't really think so, because there was one report on a giant 3-D event, and one (one page) commentary on a flying cross (a miniature airplane that does not resemble any known full scale airplane ever built), and the balance of the magazine (not dedicated to specific flying regimens) was solely dedicated once again to those little foam electric powered toys that I so much despise. The reports from the DVP's again were about as informative, and exciting as watching paint dry. Once again, the publication will make the short trip from the mailbox to the trash recpticle, without being opened. Why would I not leave the magazine at the Doctor's/Dentist/local School? Because I don't particularly care to see that kind of thing being exposed to prospective model flyers. Guess I'll stay a bottom feeder. I'm thinking about having a patch made that says so. Wonder what kind of look that would get from Greg when he shows up at a certain event where I normally go each spring.........?

I still wish that the AMA would allow us to opt out of receiving the thing, even if it did not affect the cost of membership. I would rather not receive it, and still pay the full tab for membership, than continue to haul it to the trash can.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 02-28-2009, 09:38 AM
Muroc1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Still a Bottom Feeder.

I don't like peas, but some of my friends do.

Frank
Old 02-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

I like peas, but not spinach.

MA is like a buffet line. Pick what you like.

If you don't like anything on the menu maybe you're in the wrong restuarant. Maybe you'll never be happy (or full) with such ultra picky eating habits. If nothing else you'll be paper thin and practically two dimensional.

I don't get the bottom feeder remarks though. How is that related to your disdain for MA and 95% of the modeling community?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:20 AM
GAP-RCU

ORIGINAL: Robotech

I like peas, but not spinach.

MA is like a buffet line. Pick what you like.

If you don't like anything on the menu maybe you're in the wrong restuarant. Maybe you'll never be happy (or full) with such ultra picky eating habits. If nothing else you'll be paper thin and practically two dimensional.

I don't get the bottom feeder remarks though. How is that related to your disdain for MA and 95% of the modeling community?
Wow - you must have missed one of the all time great earthquakes here in the AMA forum. It happened about a year ago, here is one of several threads in response to a MA article by Greg Hahn... [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7305632/anchors_7305632/mpage_1/key_bottom%252Cfeeder/anchor/tm.htm#7305632]link[/link]
Old 02-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Rufcut

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I still wish that the AMA would allow us to opt out of receiving the thing, even if it did not affect the cost of membership. I would rather not receive it, and still pay the full tab for membership, than continue to haul it to the trash can.

Bill, AMA 4720
I don't know why the AMA doesn't do exactly that. It would save the organization some money.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:10 PM
KidEpoxy

Stick-

You obviously cant get an entire alternate Muncie Membership mazgazine just targeted toward one discipline of modeling.

The Heli guys dont get their own mag instead of MA.
The CL guys dont get their own mag instead of MA.
The 2lb ParkFlier guys dont get their own mag instead of MA.
The FF guys dont get their own mag instead of MA.
So of course the Scale guys shouldnt either.

AMA is a one magazine fits all org,
it would be folly to think they start up a magazine for just one group of $15/$29/$58 MuncieMembers
and allow that group to get it instead of MA.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:29 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

AMA is a one magazine fits all org,
it would be folly to think they start up a magazine for just one group of $15/$29/$58 MuncieMembers
and allow that group to get it instead of MA.
We know that could never happen
Old 02-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Stickbuilder

It would be nice if the magazine was not geared so heavily toward those dorky little Electric Power foam airplanes though. It seems as if that's the majority of what is in there any more. Take a look at the photos in the articles. They resemble an airplane only in the respect that they fly.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 02-28-2009, 03:53 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

Like you, Bill, I'd happily pay the regular membership fee and do without the magazine. I still don't get why the AMA doesn't do exactly this. There's not a single thing to be gained by the organization printing and distributing a magazine to a member that does not want it.

Why not just add a checkbox to the registration process? "Check here to opt out of receiving MA". Done.

Old 02-28-2009, 04:22 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my 2 cents worth DONATE your ma to your local libary do it once and it goes away forever

Bob t
AMA 13377
Old 02-28-2009, 04:27 PM
littlecrankshaf

Good advice but people might confuse model aviation with model aviation...that would be tragedy.

Seriously, that is a good idea.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Kemosobie

All it takes is a call to AMA and your MA is sent to any organization you select.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:44 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

As most of you have seen from my posts over the last few years, I normally toss the newest issue of MA, as soon as it arrives. When the Latest issue came (March 2009), I decided to give it another try. I may have missed something, but I don't really think so, because there was one report on a giant 3-D event, and one (one page) commentary on a flying cross (a miniature airplane that does not resemble any known full scale airplane ever built), and the balance of the magazine (not dedicated to specific flying regimens) was solely dedicated once again to those little foam electric powered toys that I so much despise. The reports from the DVP's again were about as informative, and exciting as watching paint dry. Once again, the publication will make the short trip from the mailbox to the trash recpticle, without being opened. Why would I not leave the magazine at the Doctor's/Dentist/local School? Because I don't particularly care to see that kind of thing being exposed to prospective model flyers. Guess I'll stay a bottom feeder. I'm thinking about having a patch made that says so. Wonder what kind of look that would get from Greg when he shows up at a certain event where I normally go each spring.........?

Bill, AMA 4720
Does your disdain for any thing that doesn't replicate a real airplane extend to cover hand launched gliders, most Control Line stunt/speed, vintage free flight, Sticks through the ages, indoor freeflight, CL combat, Wakefield, etc. that have been a staple of model aviation for the past 70 years or more?

I bet Burt Rutan drives you bananas.

Old 02-28-2009, 05:03 PM
littlecrankshaf

Actually, I enjoy reading about others aspects of our hobby.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:51 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: rt3232
Just my 2 cents worth DONATE your ma to your local libary do it once and it goes away forever
I do precisely that, actually...indeed, having asked AMA to send it directly to them as Kemosobie suggested. It is, indeed, a handy way not to be troubled with throwing it away.

Still boggles my mind that the organization insists on printing and shipping one issue per member every month.

But hey...what do I know? I fly some of those electric abominations.

Old 02-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I generally spend between one and two hours reading Model Aviation. There are a number of things in it which don't really interest me, but which do, I suppose, interest others. I like Flying Models better, but I would still pay for Model Aviation if it were an option. Incidentally, regular members can subscribe to the park flier magazine if they wish.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:14 PM
KidEpoxy

Donating MA is a great way to get non-AMA fliers to hear just how low regard AMA has for them,
thanx to stuff like that offensive paragraph
of what should have been a positive message about Modeling PR.
Way to get the published insults into more hands of the insulted.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Kemosobie

Oh give it a rest. You have taken the article way out of context.You simply do not grasp the point he was making.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:21 PM
littlecrankshaf

IMO he is right on.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:37 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Bill, AMA 4720
Does your disdain for any thing that doesn't replicate a real airplane extend to cover hand launched gliders, most Control Line stunt/speed, vintage free flight, Sticks through the ages, indoor freeflight, CL combat, Wakefield, etc. that have been a staple of model aviation for the past 70 years or more?

I bet Burt Rutan drives you bananas.

Rutan does nothing for me, or to me. He is a cipher, a zero in my book. Just like you.

I would not consider having the AMA corrupt impressionable young minds with the crap that they are publishing. That's the reason I won't have my subscription sent elsewhere. You are part of the problem, so therefore you can't be part of the solution.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 02-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

Rutan does nothing for me, or to me. He is a cipher, a zero in my book. Just like you.

I would not consider having the AMA corrupt impressionable young minds with the crap that they are publishing. That's the reason I won't have my subscription sent elsewhere. You are part of the problem, so therefore you can't be part of the solution.

Bill, AMA 4720
Not surprised at your feeling about aviation pioneer Rutan, but the question was:

Old 02-28-2009, 09:17 PM
Blue_Sky

<snip>
Guess I'll stay a bottom feeder. I'm thinking about having a patch made that says so. Wonder what kind of look that would get from Greg when he shows up at a certain event where I normally go each spring.........?
Bill, AMA 4720
Something like this? I borrowed a sample and Photoshopped "Bottom Feeder" to it.

We could get some made. Take votes here on design. Pay by paypal. There'd need to be a set price for the patch. Decide by vote where the extra money should go - I'd say back into the Bottom Feeders bank account so we can get a website going. Or we could donate the extra money to the AMA Just vote on it here.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87921.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1147284  
Old 02-28-2009, 09:56 PM
abel_pranger

Blue Sky, that is just excellent!

After seeing some of the reaction to the last thread I started, I should rate plank holder status in that distinguished club. Of course count me in for a patch, and be assured I'll display it proudly. Every 'nontraditional RC pilot' and supporter of that ilk should. We should have a catchy theme song too......... I'm nominating "Springtime For Hitler" from The Producers.

Abel
Old 02-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Muroc1

That was a great movie! Good choice for theme song.

Frank
Old 02-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Blue_Sky

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger

Blue Sky, that is just excellent!

After seeing some of the reaction to the last thread I started, I should rate plank holder status in that distinguished club. Of course count me in for a patch, and be assured I'll display it proudly. Every 'nontraditional RC pilot' and supporter of that ilk should. We should have a catchy theme song too......... I'm nominating "Springtime For Hitler" from The Producers.

Abel
Thanks Abel. I'll display my patch proudly representing my fellow members. I'll check with RCKen regarding whether or not it's alright to conduct Bottom Feeder club business here. I assume worst case one of us could be a seller and offer the patch. Maybe that's how it would work, but I'd assume the unofficial clubhouse would still be here and hopefully RCKen would bend the rules so we could use the poll feature to decide where the proceeds should go etc.

I'm thinking the upper part of the swoop design needs the profile of an airplane. The basic design is good to go, it would be voting on what type of plane - a jet would be easy but Stick may not go along with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.