Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Magazine

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AMA Magazine

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

If your gonna mess with electrics MA would probably be of some value to ya. If glow, go with something that is more glow oriented..

Ron
This post made me smile....there used to be endless debates in the electric forums, here and there, that Model Aviation was all about glow and was not doing enough to support the electric flyers...

MA has addeed a good bit of electric coverage, but there is still lots of glow coverage.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:00 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

I personally like Flying Models better, but I wouldn't recommend it instead of Model Aviation to the young person we are advising.
Is that because of the scantily clad young ladies in Flying Models or because the programming should be installed first?[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 03-30-2009, 11:01 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

In the past, I have railed about MA. I thought it was horrible. But I must say that it seems to have turned a corner. Its pretty good now. So good in fact, I'm not missing the other magazines that were cut from my budget this year. I still wish it had more sophisticated build articles. But all the magazines stopped those years ago. So MA is no worse than the others in that regard.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:25 AM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Is that because of the scantily clad young ladies in Flying Models or because the programming should be installed first?[sm=wink_smile.gif]
LCS -

FWIW. I have little to dispute with the presentation of scantily clad young ladies.

Abel

Old 03-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Blue_Sky

ORIGINAL: abel_pranger
LCS -

FWIW. I have little to dispute with the presentation of scantily clad young ladies.

Abel
Abel and others, you may be interested to know that members of the AMA Ukiah Prop Busters Club receive MA magazine. :-)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97662.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	1169913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83984.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1169914  
Old 04-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm as little interested in helicopters as in any area of model aviation. However, in the past, I have remarked I thought they got less coverage than they deserved in MA. There is a letter in the MA which arrived today from a helicopter interested person who has only received four issues of MA and feels that helicopters are neglected. I recall in recent years there have been a couple of MA's with emphasis on helicopters; well before the time the writer joined the AMA. One point is that one should not judge MA, or any other magazine, without having, say, a year's worth at hand. A second point is that new AMA members are unlikely to know that something of great interest to them was published a couple of years ago. I wonder if the AMA could have an online index for the past few years with articles arranged by subject. It would have been nice if this person could have been directed to a helicopters articles and columns index for MA. I suppose one could search for helicopter, so maybe an index is not needed.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:00 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Guys who feel that their niche in this hobby is under-represented by the magazine should either contact Oprah or Dr. Phil.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:38 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Guys who feel that their niche in this hobby is under-represented by the magazine should either contact Oprah or Dr. Phil.
Bite Me.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:23 AM
The Toolman

This will be alot better Bill.....bacon explosion

Ron
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54404.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1186832  
Old 04-25-2009, 08:34 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Come on CP, that was cheap shot.

Heck, the PP guys get their own mag...why shouldn't we all get a choice? To be fair, AMA should allow us all the same considerations. I think I would choose different flavors of MA at different times or might pay extra to get extra versions all the time.

But no way around the fact, it is unfair to give such as small segment of our hobby (PPP) a mag while denying another. To exacerbate the issue the small tier pays less.

If Stick wanted a version of MA that only pertained to the type of modeling he enjoys I would agree 100%. It would only be fair!
Old 04-25-2009, 11:24 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

On line articles that you can choose from a menu make sense to me. Full access should come with AMA membership. Advertisers could still get their space without being obtrusive, just like at RCU.
There will never be enough fresh material about the segments of the hobby that are dying out, so the next best thing is to be able to reach back into time and look at what was going on way back when.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:33 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the mag. Plain and simple.

try to spend less on a sub for any other magazine out there.

Yea, I have had the offers from Pop mech for $10 and have taken them up on it, only to be harrassed for the next decade to pay full ticket in the future.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Jim Thomerson

If you feel underrepresented, You might first contact the editors and see what they might want in your area. Then write something up, or encourage someone to write something up. I was amused by the editor's comments on Frank Beatty's lost article. I had something similar happen back in the late 80's. When there was a change of editors, the office was cleaned out and my article found and published. Fortunately MA pays on acceptance, unlike many magazines which pay on publication.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:00 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

I personally like Flying Models better, but I wouldn't recommend it instead of Model Aviation to the young person we are advising.
While I don't see any "....scantily clad young ladies in Flying Models...", the old RCM had some fantastic covers back in the '70s and early '80s. They are now gone. Mr. Banks started going, IMO, a tad overboard with young ladies displaying nice cleavage in his RC Report and now, he too is a "has-been".

Flying Models is now the only real "model airplane" magazine available to the public, but it is far too small to be a strong contender in the current market. Along the way they cover everything.

Now about AMA's Model Aviation, (MA), well, my thoughts there are no secret. The magazine represents model aviation to the AMA membership and some non-members plus hopeful members-to-be through hobby shops, the only retail outlets in which MA exists.
With a conscripted customer base, the Open age membership, 19 and older in June of the current year, AMA can undercut advertising rates relative to the other magazines. This business model forces those other magazines to allow more space for their advertising vice modeling news. This is because the commercial magazines are forced into competing against a subsidized magazine that has basically no limits as to how it operates. The conscripted insurance program customers pay the bills. There is no reason the magazine should be less than first class. It can have all the whistles and bells as the average customer is far too into him/herself to have any thoughts outside "What's in it for me?" What a sad state of affairs! [:@]

As a LIFE MEMBER of the National Rifle Association (NRA) and a Founder and Sustaining Member of the Second Amendment Task Force, I receive a magazine, America's First Freedom, which I never complain about it being a part of dues paid long ago. This magazine informs me of everything happening in the politics of the eternal fight against government's total control of my freedoms, which I spent some 16 years (5 years in combat-ready status) of my life to protect.
The directors of AMA/MA, the AMA EC, tells me almost nothing about real life. Their articles tell me nothing about the thoughts and possibilities of/for AMA nor do they ask for any such information from the rank and file. When I submit thoughts, I usually get a somewhat smart mouthed reply as if I just fell off the turnip truck. When I ask NRA management for something, I get nice replies that say the idea is in the works or at least a nice "Thank You". OTOH when I send AMA a contribution, usually far above annual membership dues, as I am also a Lifer in AMA, then and only then, do I get a "Thank You" which I suspect is only because that is required by the IRS for IRC 501 (c) (3) organizations.

Yes, MA, is a fine aeromodeling magazine and I heartily recommend it for new people to the sport/hobby. OTOH never forget you are contributing to the going-under of FREE MARKET businesses that have long supplied the FREE person with modeling information.

Edited: Replace a wrong word with correct word.