Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Charter Club question/s

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA Charter Club question/s

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:32 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AMA Charter Club question/s

Here is an idea that I have come up with, after putting a lot of puzzle pieces together, using some bits and parts from other operations. AMA has been questioned about this, however there is no response yet, but they have not yet been given adequate time to think about it. You can think about it and get some relief from that OTHER worthless thread about right and wrong poop.

Here is the scenario: You and a a minimum of 4 other AMA members, total minimum of 5, at least 3 open members, find and acquire (lease, rent, purchase, obtain, etc.) a plot of land suitable for an RC field. You incorporate yourselves as Hocus RC Club, Inc. then file for an AMA Charter which is awarded. You 5 are now an AMA Chartered Club. [X(]

Rather than going forth and recruiting new members, you simply provide a facility for Day, Weekly, Monthly, or even Annual flying privileges at whatever price you can get the market to bear. You require AMA membership and enforce AMA rules, however if anyone gets testy, then you show them the road outside the facility.

You and your buds provide for all the maintenance, mowing, etc., however you do NOT have to listen to whimpering, complaining, voting, club meetings, monthly reports, and all the baloney of a true "Club" as we know a club to be. You and your magnificent 4-or-more set all the hard and fast rules and collect those Yankee Dollars.

The more I think about this plan, the better I like it. There would never be any question about right or wrong. The providers are always right and the day-to-day customer is always wrong. Wish I had thought about this some 13 years ago. Actually I did but I wanted a real Club! How dumb?

Comments, questions, incoming rocks, bazookas anyone?
Old 05-07-2009, 12:52 AM
superflea

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA Charter Club question/s

why go AMA then.

AMA membership is not required to fly. It is only liability ins. in the event that you hit someone or something, however if the you and the fab four are all in agreement then you are all also understood to be flying at your own risk in every sense of the word.

So again, why go AMA at all?

BTW I fully understand that I grossly understated what AMA is. it is more than liability ins, it is also a glossy mag. and discounts on eye glasses etc. but its the ins that is the key thing the rest is fluff.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:19 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: superflea

why go AMA then.
'flea, maybe if you read the scennrio again, you will not need that question. If you don't get it, then perhaps you might prefer the right or wrong thread. [:-]

AMA membership is not required to fly.
The original post never stated or implied that AMA membership was required to fly. The OP does provide that the Hocus RC Club, Inc. business model would require all customes to be AMA members which does imply that the business recognizes and requires the AMA liability insurance as most states require drivers to have liability insurance for cars.

BTW I fully understand that I grossly understated what AMA is. it is more than liability ins, it is also a glossy mag. and discounts on eye glasses etc. but its the ins that is the key thing the rest is fluff.
Thank you 'flea for your input. I am so enlightened to hear these things. [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 05-07-2009, 01:25 AM
KidEpoxy

Flea
So again, why go AMA at all?
AMA member insurance protects the members assets
if the member develops a bad case of $Liability from flying.

AMA Charter Club insurance protects the club from getting sued for all kinds of stuff,
including folks that Trip & Fall on club property,
along with extending that protection and coverage to the land owner
... in case the Tripper pulls a DeepPockets and wants to sue everyone everywhere

Without AMA Club insurance,
the GangOf5 could come down with a critical case of $liability from the clubsite
while they were off 'conferencing' in Vegas nowhere near the club.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:46 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

superflea:

You took the bait and got the line and sinker too. You better browse the topics on this section quietly for a while before you attempt to get into these knee-deep discussions, that sometimes need a shovel to wade thru.

Rafael
Old 05-07-2009, 08:16 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

The scenario posed by Hoss isn't such a bad model. The potential critical fault is that you are essentially operating a commercial venture under the auspices of the AMA charter. It probably depends on the laws in your particular state. For example, in Maryland, where I live, operating in this model would probably require your club to obtain a sales and use tax permit, and collect sales taxes. That would require you to incorporate the club. Further, you probably wouldn't be able to get a tax exempt status from the Feds, so more taxes due.

Finally, I'm not sure the AMA Insurance allows coverage of a commercial venture. Under the Insuring Agreement 2., Exclusions - Amended, the following statement may apply:

Q. "Bodily injury" or "property damage" arising from any commercial enterprise or business pursuit of any individual Academy of Model Aeronautics, Inc. member. However, this exclusion does not apply to individual members providing modeling instrutions for pay to Academy of Model Aeronautics, Inc. members.

Brad
Old 05-07-2009, 08:16 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hoss,

Go look at this club, it is similar to what you propose. I do not know if it is an AMA chartered club or not.
Your idea has a lot of merit and this one seems to operate very well.
http://www.swampsrc.org
Look at the bylaws and constitution.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: iflyj3
Hoss,
Go look at this club, it is similar to what you propose. I do not know if it is an AMA chartered club or not.
Your idea has a lot of merit and this one seems to operate very well.
http://www.swampsrc.org
Look at the bylaws and constitution.
Thank you much for this input, iflyj3. Swamps does not follow my model as they actually have club memberships outside the owner family. Still, their concept is very interesting. Thanks again.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:16 AM
JUGFLIER

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Here is an idea that I have come up with, after putting a lot of puzzle pieces together, using some bits and parts from other operations. AMA has been questioned about this, however there is no response yet, but they have not yet been given adequate time to think about it. You can think about it and get some relief from that OTHER worthless thread about right and wrong poop.

Here is the scenario: You and a a minimum of 4 other AMA members, total minimum of 5, at least 3 open members, find and acquire (lease, rent, purchase, obtain, etc.) a plot of land suitable for an RC field. You incorporate yourselves as Hocus RC Club, Inc. then file for an AMA Charter which is awarded. You 5 are now an AMA Chartered Club. [X(]

Rather than going forth and recruiting new members, you simply provide a facility for Day, Weekly, Monthly, or even Annual flying privileges at whatever price you can get the market to bear. You require AMA membership and enforce AMA rules, however if anyone gets testy, then you show them the road outside the facility.

You and your buds provide for all the maintenance, mowing, etc., however you do NOT have to listen to whimpering, complaining, voting, club meetings, monthly reports, and all the baloney of a true "Club" as we know a club to be. You and your magnificent 4-or-more set all the hard and fast rules and collect those Yankee Dollars.

The more I think about this plan, the better I like it. There would never be any question about right or wrong. The providers are always right and the day-to-day customer is always wrong. Wish I had thought about this some 13 years ago. Actually I did but I wanted a real Club! How dumb?

Horrace,
That's exactly what we did in our flying club. Our founding 5 members constitute a governing board that were elected at the first club meeting. There are no by-law provisions for their re-election. The only difference between us and your scenario is the yankee dollar thing. We don't do it for profit, only for thre expense of maintaining the field. We have 16 members and we charge 50 bucks a year. We have a fabulous runway and flying site.

www.colbertrcflyers.com

http://colbertrcflyers.com/coppermin...album=1&page=7
Old 05-07-2009, 09:27 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: bkdavy
//snip//
The potential critical fault is that you are essentially operating a commercial venture under the auspices of the AMA charter. It probably depends on the laws in your particular state. For example, in Maryland, where I live, operating in this model would probably require your club to obtain a sales and use tax permit, and collect sales taxes. That would require you to incorporate the club. Further, you probably wouldn't be able to get a tax exempt status from the Feds, so more taxes due.
Standard business practices for the Corporation. The mentioned "5 or more" would be the corporation as an AMA Charterd Club as many clubs are. Taxes are a part of business life as well as our daily lives. As it is written: "Only two things are for certain, death and taxes."[:@]

Finally, I'm not sure the AMA Insurance allows coverage of a commercial venture. Under the Insuring Agreement 2., Exclusions - Amended, the following statement may apply:

Q. "Bodily injury" or "property damage" arising from any commercial enterprise or business pursuit of any individual Academy of Model Aeronautics, Inc. member. However, this exclusion does not apply to individual members providing modeling instrutions for pay to Academy of Model Aeronautics, Inc. members.

Brad
Excellent points, however the road around that is the corporation, the Chartered Club, would be able to use the landowner provision for the flying site. Other AMA insurance would only be for the individuals while operating a model airplane, as the AMA insurance provides. So the fliers would simply be "....buying tickets to the park." There are more ways than one to skin a cat. [>:]
Old 05-07-2009, 09:43 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: JUGFLIER
Horrace,
That's exactly what we did in our flying club. Our founding 5 members constitute a governing board that were elected at the first club meeting. There are no by-law provisions for their re-election. The only difference between us and your scenario is the yankee dollar thing. We don't do it for profit, only for thre expense of maintaining the field. We have 16 members and we charge 50 bucks a year. We have a fabulous runway and flying site.
www.colbertrcflyers.com
Thanks for this informational input. It is another addition to this thread's venture into "How we did/do it." Lot of options here. [sm=49_49.gif]

However, Jugflier, there are differences in your profile and my suggestion.idea. You have a rather autocratic set-up as I propose. Yet, as I read your post, you have a membership status for all that are connected. My option is that only the "owners", the Chartered Club group, would be "members" and then basically as stockholders in the corporation. Those paying to use the facility would be governed by the Corporation's rules, and not considered a member of any organization, just a paying customer.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 AM
bradpaul

My club has some of the characteristics of your "ideal club". The BOD is made up of the 5 officers and has the only votes as to who is on the BOD. The regular members basically have the right to use the club facilities and participate in the eternal grass mowing or other club services. All members are required to be AMA members. No meetings (well maybe 1 or 2 a year at the field on a Saturday morning), no politics (except within the BOD). Chartered as a non profit corporation so no tax issues. Seems to work so far but the success as a "benevolent dictatorship" is dependent on the quality of the BOD. In the case of the trouble making member the BOD has the power to terminate menbership and refund prorated dues. Dues are in line with other clubs here in Florida, $150.00 a year.

Club provides a 1st class facility, large shade structure, water, electricity, charging station, work benches, flight stands and a nice grass runway.

Brad
Old 05-07-2009, 10:15 AM
Rufcut

Sounds about right to me. My club followed a similar route when it was formed about 20 years ago. We don't have an AMA charter, however, as the landowner / club founder felt it was too much hassle. The rules are pretty simple.
#1 AMA Open membership required.
#2 Dues are $25 per year.
#3 Be nice and be safe or be gone.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:33 AM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I doubt the pay as you go plan would work well, at least not from what I've seen. The reason many clubs can make ends meet is they have many dues-paying club members that rarely get out to the field to fly. I believe in most cases, clubs would take in less money, not more, if they went to a pay as you go plan. How would you collect the daily flight fees? You'd have to have someone at the field all the time to collect the fees.

If all you want is total control of the club, then just write up your by-laws so the founding 5 have total control. One of the clubs I belong to is pretty much that way.

Just my $0.02!
Old 05-07-2009, 10:52 AM
JUGFLIER

ORIGINAL: JUGFLIER
Horrace,
www.colbertrcflyers.com
Thanks for this informational input. It is another addition to this thread's venture into "How we did/do it." Lot of options here. [sm=49_49.gif]

However, Jugflier, there are differences in your profile and my suggestion.idea. You have a rather autocratic set-up as I propose. Yet, as I read your post, you have a membership status for all that are connected. My option is that only the "owners", the Chartered Club group, would be "members" and then basically as stockholders in the corporation. Those paying to use the facility would be governed by the Corporation's rules, and not considered a member of any organization, just a paying customer.

Hoss,

I go down and join a 24 hour health and fitness CLUB. I am a memeber and have access to the facilities. I do not get to make policy for the CLUB.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:21 AM
KidEpoxy

PKH-
How would you collect the daily flight fees? You'd have to have someone at the field all the time to collect the fees.
Another way would be to setup a website that can take your credit card and AMA number,
process that for AMA Currency and payment,
and issue a printable copy of the Daily/Weekly/Mo/Yr use ticket
that the Founding5 can easily access online for any level of enforcement they want-
be that a gate guard,
webcam at the field,
or stopping by once in a while to see who is flying.

There is no one right way to enforce local policy,
that is upto the locals.... gate guards all the way down to Honor System.... its a matter of how each locality would like to do it

. . . . . . . . .

To All-
perhaps the terminology is messing with folks minds a bit:
What do folks see as the difference between
Local Bylaws allow daily/weekly membership (of AMA members), in the JustFlight-NoVote-NoMeeting local club tier
vs referring to that as a 'customer' rather than term serf member of the club?
Old 05-07-2009, 11:43 AM
JUGFLIER

To All-
perhaps the terminology is messing with folks minds a bit:
What do folks see as the difference between
Local Bylaws allow daily/weekly membership (of AMA members), in the JustFlight-NoVote-NoMeeting local club tier
vs referring to that as a 'customer' rather than term serf member of the club?
Kid,
I think I see the big picture. I see that what hoss is asking about is the next step from what we have. The founding 5 only charge people a usage fee, no club memberships. In my opinion, that setup then clearly becomes a commercial venture, whether it makes money or not.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:01 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

I just don't believe the pay as you go plan would be more financially beneficial to the club than the typical annual memberships, based on my experience with my clubs. Perhaps things are different in you area.

I agree with Kid, you can probably just write up your by-laws to make the memberships daily, weekly, monthly, etc. I doubt the AMA will care. As for non-profit status, I don't think collecting dues on a daily, weekly, monthly, or annual basis should make a difference, but then I'm not a lawyer or an accountant, so Jug may be right!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:45 PM
KidEpoxy

In my opinion, that setup then clearly becomes a commercial venture, whether it makes money or not.
yeah, commerce does not automaticly mean profit
but from what I read in the OP, the Founding5 will be incorp'ing the venture from the get go
... and as Hoss has alluded to about MA elsewhere,
if you make a million dollars profit and have to pay some tax on it,
dont that mean you still profited a whole lotta money?

Still,
If folks are uncomfortable calling them 'customers'
and are still wary about calling them 'term serf tier members'
lets just call them "Daily $5FlyIn Event participants", or "$10 GetTogetherWeek#A" event pilots
cause I do seem to recall local AMA clubs charging visiting AMA members to attend events
.... and not just Sanctioned ones.
You'd be surprised how many $5FlyIn Events an incorporated club could put on their calander [8D]
Old 05-07-2009, 01:51 PM
rcmiket

Funny this whole thing reminds me of most ( not all ) AMA Chartered Clubs. Several guys run the show and run off anyone they don't like or thinks different then the "powers to be". The only new thing here is your charging by the day or whatever. Clubs are already doing that for guys who don't want to join the club and just want to fly every so often. Mike
Old 05-07-2009, 02:06 PM
KidEpoxy

Mike
I think it goes beyond that, and as a good thing.

It prevents any 'think differently' control drama,
cause the flyers wont expect any control nor have any thinking to do, same or different

you go there to fly (and maybe have some coffee & donuts)
no power struggles, no club politics, no club drama

ex: There is no power struggle between the PPP and the Opens,
cause PPP have no power.... they just pay & fly, no drama

During events, with guys from all over coming by to pay entry and fly,
do you get into arguments with them over local club politics and drama?
Or do you just fly and have fun
Old 05-07-2009, 02:39 PM
rcmiket

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Mike

cause the flyers wont expect any control nor have any thinking to do, same or different

So your in favor of this or am I missing something. Mike
Old 05-07-2009, 02:58 PM
JUGFLIER

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Mike

So your in favor of this or am I missing something. Mike

Mike,
In the case of our club, we have put this to the membership 3 times about going to a democracy. All three times they have said "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". We must be doing something right.

This may be not ideal for all people, so they can go join the AMA club down the road or go start up their own and run it any way they doggone please.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:10 PM
KidEpoxy

Mike
I dont really see it as much of a change to the way things are now.

The pilots that fly at "Hocus RC Club, Inc" would not be doing it FOR money,
so they are still non-commercial AMA insured.

Muncie would have a hard time separating the Hocus $5 use fee
from the current & historical collection of short term event use fees by chartered clubs.
So the discussion of 'commercial' club activities killing insurance is hard to apply without spanking all chartered clubs.

I guess I'm just looking at it as
"Why not, we already do practically that anyway."
Old 05-07-2009, 03:47 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: -pkh-

I doubt the pay as you go plan would work well, at least not from what I've seen. The reason many clubs can make ends meet is they have many dues-paying club members that rarely get out to the field to fly. I believe in most cases, clubs would take in less money, not more, if they went to a pay as you go plan. How would you collect the daily flight fees? You'd have to have someone at the field all the time to collect the fees.

If all you want is total control of the club, then just write up your by-laws so the founding 5 have total control. One of the clubs I belong to is pretty much that way.

Just my $0.02!

I second what phk has said, And also the reason many join a club is to
insure they have a place to fly, with the pay as you go plan that may
not be the case as the site may get to crowded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.