Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is an AM frequency radio ama legal??

Is an am radio legal to use at an ama field??
    --speed without control is useless--

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes. As long as it is narrow band, it doesn't matter if it is FM-PPM, FM-PCM, or AM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I flew exclusively with Futaba Attack AM's due to poverty. They're gold-stickered and work well, no matter what the high-buck-radio owners say. Yeah, they're not anywhere near state-of-the-art and no, you don't get fancy-dancy at-the-radio adjustments, but you learn to work with mechanical trimming (in the plane) and more importantly, get to fly!

Gold stickering is, however, of utmost importance.....shoot someone down with an old sloppy-frequency radio and you'll lost friends quickly.
    There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Graeme - Wind in the Willows

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

First, there is no such thing as an "AMA field." There are AMA clubs, and fields where AMA membership is mandatory for insurance purposes. The AMA does not regulate flying fields, or radios for that matter. Flying fields are left to the club to monitor, and the FCC regulates the radios.

That said, there is nothing preventing you from using an AM radio. AM radios are still manufactured, in fact.

The real issue is the age of the radio. If the radio was manufactured before 1989 or so, AND doesn't have a GOLD sticker on the back, it's illegal to use, period. Radios went from the old "wide band" to the newer "narrow band" system, which doubled the number of available channels. Old wide band radios will interfere with the odd-numbered channels adjacent to the radio's even-numbered channel.

The FCC made this law in 1991. Radios made through the mid 1990's will have a gold sticker on the back to indicate that they're legal to use. Gold stickers indicate that the radio was either updated to narrow-band specifications, or that the radio was manufactured from the beginning as narrow-band.

You can no longer get an old wide-band radio modified to work in the narrow-band system. Such modifications haven't been allowed by the FCC since 1996 or 1998, I'm not sure which. Besides, it's cheaper to get a new radio than it is to send it off to be modified, AND purchase new batteries. Old radios always need new batteries, because the old ones are generally worn out or dead from lack of use.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Learn something new every day!! Huh!!!! I didn't know that the radios couldn't be 'narrow-banded' anymore. Huh....... That's OK, actually. Older radios (at least 'vintage' radios) don't have any of the modern conveniences we've learned to take for granted - and that's even non-computer radios.... For ease of use, legality and realiability, new radios are the way to go.
    There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Graeme - Wind in the Willows

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Originally posted by mkirsch
    First, there is no such thing as an "AMA field." There are AMA clubs, and fields where AMA membership is mandatory for insurance purposes. The AMA does not regulate flying fields, or radios for that matter. Flying fields are left to the club to monitor, and the FCC regulates the radios.

That said, there is nothing preventing you from using an AM radio. AM radios are still manufactured, in fact.

The real issue is the age of the radio. If the radio was manufactured before 1989 or so, AND doesn't have a GOLD sticker on the back, it's illegal to use, period. Radios went from the old "wide band" to the newer "narrow band" system, which doubled the number of available channels. Old wide band radios will interfere with the odd-numbered channels adjacent to the radio's even-numbered channel.

The FCC made this law in 1991. Radios made through the mid 1990's will have a gold sticker on the back to indicate that they're legal to use. Gold stickers indicate that the radio was either updated to narrow-band specifications, or that the radio was manufactured from the beginning as narrow-band.

You can no longer get an old wide-band radio modified to work in the narrow-band system. Such modifications haven't been allowed by the FCC since 1996 or 1998, I'm not sure which. Besides, it's cheaper to get a new radio than it is to send it off to be modified, AND purchase new batteries. Old radios always need new batteries, because the old ones are generally worn out or dead from lack of use.
    Pretty close, but, several mistakes in your answer.

The AMA has no clubs. The AMA charters clubs.

The gold sticker is no longer necessary, although the system must be narrow band and it may still be used. The owner needs to be able to demonstrate that it is. It was an AMA sticker, not an FCC sticker.

AMA event directors (CD's) are charged with enforcing the FCC regulations at AMA sanctioned events. It is not at the discretion of the CD or the club.

The mods are still allowed, you just can't find anyone to do them. And.. your right, it makes no sense financially to do it.

If you want the most up to date info, check the FCC or you can check the information on the AMA web site in the 2003 membership guide, page 16.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/templat...memanual03.pdf

JR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

actually, yer both wrong.
    there is ONE AMA field so far, i think it is located in indiana somewhere.
    Bottom Feeder Brother #13
    when they outlaw R/C, only outlaws will have R/C
    13 of 27

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Originally posted by mongo
    actually, yer both wrong.
    there is ONE AMA field so far, i think it is located in indiana somewhere.
    Didn't say fields, said clubs

There is indeed one AMA field.

JR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually, i did find one place in Florida that would still narrow band radio's. They told me a quote of around $20 + Shipping & handling both ways, plus I would have to buy a reciever.

Yes, going with a new radio (or at least an updated one) is the way to go.

Oh yeah, this was earlier this year that i looked into it, I got a different radio instead.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

As I know there are wet paint testors out there that will try to fly regardless of AMA rules. The correct frequence control procedure for a wide band TX is:
    Take your pin and the two on either side and any pins 34 away.

ie. if you have a wide band TX on 54 you need to pull pins 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22. That is just to protect those of us who don't realize what you are doing.

Now what about converting to 27mhz. I ask Carl about this a few years ago and he said the CB bands were still ok for model use, and still spaced to allow a wide band TX. He also added that it was not as easy as pluging new crystals. Anyone know how dificult it is and who, if anyone will do the conversion.

Good luck
    Joe
    If it doesn't fly it wount cetch my eye.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would still find old FGs and have them converted. These are very strong transmitters and I like the slider for flaps. The new radios just suck as far a durability. They are all lightweight cheap plastic and begin to fall apart after two seasons, I just got a 6XA Futaba and after this first season, the trainer switch broke off. Now the on/off switch just fell off. I have an Airtronics from 1987 and Futaba that is the same age, and have been through a lot of seasons and have not had a single problem as far as workmanship.

It cost be about $140.00 to upgrade both my old radios, and after the crap I've taken from defects on the two new radios I bought (the second Futaba had a defect in the PC board causing a short in mid-air), well worth the price.

I think radio manufactures are sacrificing quality so they can hang more bells and whistles on a radio and not raise the cost.
    If you love your plane, set it free, if it doesn\'\'t return, you should have checked the battery.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

from what I understand it isin't that difficult if you have the correct equipment. But that can be expensive and I would think you would need to know what you are doing.

Like I said I think there was a place in Florida. Something "Radio". If i can find the name I will forward it to this thread.

Found the name and number (and I said my wife was bad, i sold the radio last year).

Radio South 850-434-0909

This number was given to me by a customer service person at Futaba once. Call and ask. They may do the conversions yet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Any narrow band modulation scheme is acceptable. SO AM is ok if it is Narrow Band.
    Aircraft Proving Grounds
    http://www.rcaircraft.net/
    Information on the building and flying of Radio Control Aircraft.
    Site for hobbyist in the R.C. Aircraft modeling world.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm a newbie and just bought an trainer/radio/tote box and all from a friend sight unseen. I know the radio is a Futaba Attack on channel 55. Can you tell me if it is narrow band. If not I guess I'll have to buy a radio. Thanks!
    ####################
    Jim Deck - Preservation Through Education

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Attack radios replaced the FG series in 1991. Because they are manufactured after the FCC law came into affect, they are all narrow band. Futaba did put gold stickers on them. I bought an AM 4 in 1992 and a FM 4 in 2000. These both had gold stickers on them. If the Tx box is silver with the words ATTACK on the front, the channel number should be a small sticker on the top or back, and a retangular gold sticker on the back, you should be ok.
    If you love your plane, set it free, if it doesn\'\'t return, you should have checked the battery.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Originally posted by ShutterAce
    I'm a newbie and just bought an trainer/radio/tote box and all from a friend sight unseen. I know the radio is a Futaba Attack on channel 55. Can you tell me if it is narrow band. If not I guess I'll have to buy a radio. Thanks!
    Right here on RCU, in the area a bit above The Club House, is a forum for direct Futaba Support. Get the scoop there or their website.
    I have an Attack that IS '91 complaint, although I never use it.

As a newbie, you might need to check about Trainer Cord acceptability.
    My Attack has no provision for a Trainer Cord.
    Horrace Cain AMA L-93

“Peace is the brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.\" T. Jefferson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the answers. If I can't connect to a buddy box I guess I'll be buying a radio anyway.
    ####################
    Jim Deck - Preservation Through Education

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Only problem, they (radio manufacturers) don' t PUT 'Gold Stickers' on radios anymore... Only the OLDER radios (made circa 1988-92, I think) have the 'Gold Sticker' ALL radios SHOULD have a Manufactured DATE on it, though. SO, if it HAS a 'Gold Sticker' you are OK, if not look for a DATE when it was manufacured....

Correct me if I am wrong, fellas...
    Bob Severance

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Originally posted by ShutterAce
    Thanks for the answers. If I can't connect to a buddy box I guess I'll be buying a radio anyway.
    If you buy a new system, hang on to the stuff you have. You will probably be looking for a flight pack for your next plane. You may be able to use the Rx, and servos, switch, etc. Check the battery out before you try to use it. If it has been sitting it may or may not be any good. You might want to consider buying your new system on the same frequency as the existing one so you can use the Tx on both without having to change frequencies on the older Rx.

JR

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If it's an odd channel ( original channel or properly serviced), it's narrow band.
    Three useless things for a pilot...Runway behind you...
    Altitude above you...Fuel at home...