Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA Staffing: Should AMA hire non-Pilot nonMember to moderate AMA board

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, lets hire unbiased fultime mod for bunch of money
0%
Yes, lets hire unbiased partime mod for a bit of money
8.16%
Yes, lets hire unbiased pro bono mod
6.12%
No, lets just step up In House moderation
34.69%
No, its fine as is
26.53%
No, just point fingers and step up attacks in the chaos
24.49%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

AMA Staffing: Should AMA hire non-Pilot nonMember to moderate AMA board

Old 10-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: AMA Staffing: Should AMA hire non-Pilot nonMember to moderate AMA board

You realize you're wasting your time, right?

Dave Olson
Old 10-23-2009, 06:07 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: AMA Staffing: Should AMA hire non-Pilot nonMember to moderate AMA board

It seems only fair that you should at least be signed in to have any priviledged information.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:26 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, to hopefully get this back on track, I think the moderation over there is fine as it is. I think most of us know when to step back and cool off.
No offense to Ken or the other mods. here, cause I know it is a tough job and I wouldn't want it, but I've seen a few threads here get killed after, IMO, things had settled down. I'd rather see a few posts removed and let the thread go.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:05 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went and looked at post #44. I clicked on the post author's name, and was taken to his personal page. It gives absolutely no name, and only states that he has made 1 (THAT IS ONE) post. Who is this person? Are they an employee of ours (AMA membership), or an outsider that has been given Moderator status?

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 10-23-2009, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I went and looked at post #44. I clicked on the post author's name, and was taken to his personal page. It gives absolutely no name, and only states that he has made 1 (THAT IS ONE) post. Who is this person? Are they an employee of ours (AMA membership), or an outsider that has been given Moderator status?

Bill, AMA 4720
Stick, the first sentence of his post states that the forum is being moderated by the AMA staff. His page says he is a moderator. Ergo, he is AMA staff. I am inferring this, of course, but what other conclusion can be drawn?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:59 PM
KidEpoxy

Guys, let 804 have his choice.

Its ok, it was one of the poll options.
If he wants the garbage that is going on there to continue WOT
... ok... its a free country,
his view is as valid as anyone that wants that forum to run without the garbage
.... and the Continue Garbage options are like 40% of the poll at this point.

Maybe muncie would like a board that wasnt worthless garbage harassment,
but it seems the members have other plans for that board.

Stick,
you mean you didnt know it is your responsibility as thread starter
to examine every posters profile page instead of just taking their posts at face value?
Good grief man, you have a responsibility to the board, the entire internet, and humanity as whole to do that. [8D]

gee... when typed out like that
it kinda sounds silly to mandate that all thread starters examine the profile page of everyone that posts to the thread
Old 10-23-2009, 11:05 PM
koastrc

Kid, I bet you were a four point O(4.0) English student. My degree in Criminal justice did't teach me how to write like you. Were do you get all those neat sayings?
Old 10-24-2009, 12:15 AM
koastrc

You see I forgot a "n" and a "h". Man you can really write!
Old 10-24-2009, 07:32 AM

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Guys, let 804 have his choice.

Its ok, it was one of the poll options.
If he wants the garbage that is going on there to continue WOT
... ok... its a free country,
his view is as valid as anyone that wants that forum to run without the garbage
.... and the Continue Garbage options are like 40% of the poll at this point.

Maybe muncie would like a board that wasnt worthless garbage harassment,
but it seems the members have other plans for that board.

Stick,
you mean you didnt know it is your responsibility as thread starter
to examine every posters profile page instead of just taking their posts at face value?
Good grief man, you have a responsibility to the board, the entire internet, and humanity as whole to do that. [8D]

gee... when typed out like that
it kinda sounds silly to mandate that all thread starters examine the profile page of everyone that posts to the thread
Kid, since most of the "garbage" seems directed at you, I can understand why you feel the way you do.
OTOH, I get much the same from some folks around here, and I ain't whinin'.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:51 AM
bradpaul

Man what a hoot........ the gang upset that they can't get personal info on who the moderators are

Of course they don't post under there real names or disclose information about themselves......... And for some of them (not all) it must be a great inconvenience to have to actually be an AMA Member to sign on and post.

So anybody got anything back from USAMA yet. Soon to be 4 weeks?

I just renewed for next year at the old stogy AMA. Renewed online, paid with PayPal and got an immediate confirmation back by email.

I guess I could also do USAMA..... print out a paper application, send a check via "snail" mail and wait.... wait..... wait for it....... "programs under development".

[]
Old 10-24-2009, 10:32 AM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

So anybody got anything back from USAMA yet. Soon to be 4 weeks?

I just renewed for next year at the old stogy AMA. Renewed online, paid with PayPal and got an immediate confirmation back by email.

I guess I could also do USAMA..... print out a paper application, send a check via ''snail'' mail and wait.... wait..... wait for it....... ''programs under development''.

[]

Look at it this way, it gives a few of ya something to harp on when ya can't find anything else....
Old 10-24-2009, 12:14 PM
KidEpoxy

BradP-
I dont care if they call themselves Mod1 & Mod2,
remember how I dont want to have to go research their profile page?

If the ADMINs can get that identifier on on all their posts there,
why not just have "Moderator" under Mod1 & Mod2 as well.... so we dont have to read about their name address & favorite color.

However, Stick is also right in that the mods work for the AMA,
and it is a member org, not a dictatorship with secret police.

Bradpaul, you do realize that other insurance org has absolutely nothing to do with the topic,
and you failed to make any attempt to show how you got there from here.... they dont even have a forum nor Mods.
Theres plenty of other threads on that other topic, use them.

Toolman
dont take the bait
Old 10-24-2009, 12:28 PM
KidEpoxy

804-
yes, we get it
you want the AMA forum to be a no insults barred extension and spillover for garbage too uncivil for RCU.

Ok, you made your point,
you feel wronged at one site so you want everyone else to get wronged at some other site
... seems its a popular view these days: payback is far more popular than civility and morality.
You seem ok with that board having a No Harassment rule,
you just want to make sure nobody (mods) actually enforces that rule.

No problem, from the get go I put a couple options in the poll just for guys like you,
cause I care about your opinion, even though it is not the same as mine.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:41 PM
KidEpoxy

Poll analysis so far-

with just 32 respondents so far:
[ul][*] About 60% want better moderation[*] 40% say leave it or let it get worse[*] Only 15% want Unbiased outside moderation of some kind
[/ul]
Old 10-24-2009, 01:44 PM

804-
yes, we get it
you want the AMA forum to be a no insults barred extension and spillover for garbage too uncivil for RCU.

Ok, you made your point,
you feel wronged at one site so you want everyone else to get wronged at some other site
... seems its a popular view these days: payback is far more popular than civility and morality.
You seem ok with that board having a No Harassment rule,
you just want to make sure nobody (mods) actually enforces that rule.

No problem, from the get go I put a couple options in the poll just for guys like you,
cause I care about your opinion, even though it is not the same as mine.
You don't care about my opinion, or you wouldn't be twisting my words to suit your agenda. Sentence by sentence:
1) You don't get it.
2) wrong.
3)who cares
4)your opinion, but in my opinion, wrong.
5)wrong, I said delete the offending posts not the thread.

Like I told someone else, read more carefully.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:17 PM
KidEpoxy

post27:
"I think the moderation over there is fine as it is"
post39:
5)wrong, I said delete the offending posts not the thread. [/quote]

what?
You said it was fine, then talked about RCU & RCKen killing threads,
and now say you want AMA mods to start deleting posts?

So you want the mods to step up and start "delete the offending posts" (39), or is it "fine as is" (27)?
If you had to pick one of your quotes, and use that to select one of the poll options,
which way did you vote in the poll?
Have the mods there step up their deleting of offending posts (39)
or fine as is (27)?

While its great to hear what you have to say on the subject,
I'm having a hard time understanding your position (27 vs 39).
Old 10-24-2009, 08:37 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Poll analysis so far-

with just 32 respondents so far:
[ul][*] About 60% want better moderation[*] 40% say leave it or let it get worse[*] Only 15% want Unbiased outside moderation of some kind
[/ul]
Ummm. Any conclusion you draw from these stats are flawed from the get-go.

The poll should be limited to AMA members only as participation on the site in question is members only. No way to verify that condition here so I have to ask, why this poll on this forum? Why don't you create this same poll about AMA forum moderation on the AMA forum?

BTW, too late for your buddy, he already spooled out about 20 yards of Trilene XT.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:31 PM
KidEpoxy

Good thing I didnt make any conclusions yet, just stated the numbers 'so far',
as is my MO... Lawnmowers, Insurers, ModPolls... I take my time making decisions

Why here?
This is where I discuss AMA, has been for years.
But your idea to do it there too might be fun after we get some more data here,
and then compare the two results.
If you are one of them RCG'ers, why dont you put a semi verbatim copy of this poll there as well,
and then we can eventually have 3 sets of data for the same poll to analyze.

The poll should be limited to AMA members only as participation on the site in question is members only
posting is limited to members,
but guest readers (didnt we just see LCS talk about reading threads but not being able to read profile page)
are subjected to the having to wade thru the same garbage in the threads as the members.
Since those guest readers would not be able to vote there,
it makes sense that the poll be done where all readers of the garbage can vote their opinion of how much they want or dont want the garbage cleaned up
Old 10-24-2009, 10:39 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Good thing I didnt make any conclusions yet, just stated the numbers 'so far',
as is my MO... Lawnmowers, Insurers, ModPolls... I take my time making decisions
Perhaps you took my statement to say you had drawn a conclusion. It was not meant that way. I only meant to suggest that if you do, the results will be skewed by non-AMA folk voting on AMA matters.

Why here?
This is where I discuss AMA, has been for years.
I know you did not just say that you do something a certain way because that's the way it's always been done. [X(]

But your idea to do it there too might be fun after we get some more data here,
and then compare the two results.
If you are one of them RCG'ers, why dont you put a semi verbatim copy of this poll there as well,
and then we can eventually have 3 sets of data for the same poll to analyze.
Well, I am registered there but have only been there a few times. Not sure if I've ever even posted there. I'll give it a go.

posting is limited to members,
but guest readers (didnt we just see LCS talk about reading threads but not being able to read profile page)
are subjected to the having to wade thru the same garbage in the threads as the members.
Since those guest readers would not be able to vote there,
it makes sense that the poll be done where all readers of the garbage can vote their opinion of how much they want or dont want the garbage cleaned up
Disagree. If it matters to them and they (guest readers) are AMA members then they should register and vote. If they don't get involved then they should have no say. Remember your 90% non-voting sheep in the elections? In addition, if the exposure to "wading through the garbage" is a real concern then why was one poster villified and pilloried for attemting to throw out his own garbage which resulted in even more garbage? I know, I know, if you post it it should stand for eternity, yada, yada, but that implies that sometimes even garbage must be seen and experienced to see the entire thread accurately. Of course if it doesn't get thrown there in the first place, the point is moot.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:07 AM
KidEpoxy

Disagree. If it matters to them and they (guest readers) are AMA members then they should register and vote.
but you are forgetting that we have a responsibility to all internet goers, if not humanity as whole, to do this right

You may feel that only AMA members opinions of the published (to the whole internet) forum matter,
but I feel that also public opinion of the AMA, to include AMA's board, matter.

To turn your back on the opinions of the public,
is to turn your back on public opinion, and as such, the public.

I would agree that the public opinions wouldnt matter (or exist) if the board was Member-Only Readable,
but it isnt, it it publicly airing the worst behaviors of members due to the moderation it now has.
We can keep it looking as bad as it does,
make it look better,
or let it look worse.

I know you did not just say that you do something a certain way because that's the way it's always been done
I do something until a better way comes along.
Realm Of Chaos & Suffering style message board moderation is not 'better'
Old 11-02-2009, 04:52 AM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

If it works why change it? Life seems to go down hill when people complicate the simple stuff. I like to fly, I don't like the pollitics. Kind of takes the fun out of being a member. JMHO So I try to stay out of things and only give my opinions when asked.

Pete
Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 PM
KidEpoxy

This just in,
bad news for the Stay As Is and the Let It Get Worse voters,
seems the in house AMA Moderator squad has now stepped up to delete some offensive posts.

As AMA members, there may be hope for our muncie message board yet.
And RCU is a great place to discuss important AMA stuff like that

edit:
hmmm, I must have been smokin crack instead of drinking coffee this morning,
I am apparently mistaken about the posts I reported there getting deleted
Old 11-04-2009, 08:36 PM
bradpaul

I wonder whose posts got deleted.......... anybody want to guess????????????

Score one for the AMA moderators
Old 11-04-2009, 08:55 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

red s.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:08 PM
KidEpoxy

... hmmm, somethings weird over there

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.